Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? (5532 Views)

Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? / Those Who Died Before Jesus Christ Came Into This World, Where Is Their Eternity / The Perfect Image Of A Christian Before Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:47pm On Jun 24, 2019
Does it matter that Buddha came long before Jesus?

In the modern West, people often consider ideas that are new, novel, and more recently discovered through the most up to date studies and methodologies to carry the most weight. In the Buddhist East, however, this is not the case. It is common among Asian Buddhists to consider the fact that Siddhartha Gautama (the man known as "the Buddha" ) lived and taught around 500 years before Jesus walked the earth to be an argument in favour of the truth and value of Buddhism over Christianity. These cultures generally see wisdom that is more ancient and time-tested to be more venerable and more likely to be true. The truth is that neither novelty nor ancient origin is, in fact, good arguments in and of themselves for the truth of an idea or teaching. Still, it is worthwhile to note for the sake of Buddhist friends that the Christian gospel is actually more ancient wisdom than Buddhism.

https://carm.org/does-it-matter-that-buddha-came-long-before-jesus
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:21pm On Jun 24, 2019
Not at all, they are all the same BS.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by tartar9(m): 5:28pm On Jun 24, 2019
Buddha himself started out as an hindu,with many foundational aspects of buddhusm rooted in hinduism.Buddhist also claims hindu scriptures predicted Buddha.Since hinduism is an older religion than judaism,using the same logic as yours,we can still say the buddhist 'gospel' still is more ancient wisdom than christainity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:40am On Jun 25, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Does it matter that Buddha came long before Jesus?

In the modern West, people often consider ideas that are new, novel, and more recently discovered through the most up to date studies and methodologies to carry the most weight. In the Buddhist East, however, this is not the case. It is common among Asian Buddhists to consider the fact that Siddhartha Gautama (the man known as "the Buddha" ) lived and taught around 500 years before Jesus walked the earth to be an argument in favour of the truth and value of Buddhism over Christianity. These cultures generally see wisdom that is more ancient and time-tested to be more venerable and more likely to be true. The truth is that neither novelty nor ancient origin is, in fact, good arguments in and of themselves for the truth of an idea or teaching. Still, it is worthwhile to note for the sake of Buddhist friends that the Christian gospel is actually more ancient wisdom than Buddhism.

https://carm.org/does-it-matter-that-buddha-came-long-before-jesus

The Prophets and the Ancient Gospel

While it is a plain fact of history that the founder of Buddhism did indeed teach centuries before Jesus' earthly ministry, this is not the full picture. The gospel was preached by the prophets of God even earlier than that. Long before Siddhartha Gautama was born in India, the prophet Isaiah proclaimed that:

• The Messiah would be God in the flesh (Isaiah 9:6)
• He would be born of a virgin and called "God with us" (Isaiah 7:14).
• He would be sinless, but would die for the sins of others and would rise from the dead unto glory, power, and victory (Isaiah 53).
• Salvation would be found in repentance and quiet trust (Isaiah 30:15)
•The repentant will be redeemed, and those who remain in their sins will be judged (Isaiah 1:27-28).

This is the Christian gospel, preached not only before the coming of Jesus Christ but also before the life of Buddha as well. Jesus did not come to introduce this reality, but to fulfill it.

This is why the apostle Paul writes:

"Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures," (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

Note that Paul does not merely report that these things occurred, but that they occurred "according to the Scriptures." The gospel is that which was written about long before and later fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Jesus Himself taught us this in saying:

"'These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.' Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and He said to them, 'Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things,'" (Luke 24:44-48)

We can look at Balaam's prophecy in the time of Moses of the victorious star that would come forth from Jacob (Numbers 24:15-19). We can go back even further to Jacob's prophecy of Shiloh to come (Genesis 49:10). We can trace the message earlier still, to the time of Abraham and Isaac where it was foretold that, just as God had provided a ram in Isaac's place, God would one day again provide a substitute for His people on the holy mount (Genesis 22:13-14). Indeed, we can look back to the beginning of time at man's very first sin and see the promised seed of the woman would one day crush the serpent (Genesis 3:15). In all ages, it was foretold that the promised one would come. The gospel is as old as sin and suffering itself. There is no wisdom and no hope more ancient than this.

To be continued...
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:03pm On Jul 22, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

Not at all, they are all the same BS.

Are you speaking logically or it is just the usual emotional outburst? undecided
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2019
OLAADEGBU:
Are you speaking logically or it is just the usual emotional outburst? undecided

Have you paid your tithe this weekend, before addressing me?!

3 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

Have paid your tithe this weekend, before addressing me?!

Who do you pay yours too, Buddha or at the palm wine shrine? undecided
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by Anas09: 6:54pm On Jul 22, 2019
Is Buddha a person?
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:56pm On Jul 22, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Who do you pay yours too, Buddha or at the palm wine shrine? undecided

You are talking to an intelligent person who certainly does NOT believe in imaginary invisible being in the sky, who needs to be bribed in order to enter his imaginary heaven. Don't you ever mistake me for you, mister follow-follow brainless sheep.

***spit on floor***

6 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:02pm On Jul 22, 2019
Anas09:

Is Buddha a person?

Yes, his real name is Siddhartha Gautama, a prince from northern India near modern Nepal who lived about 563 and 483 BC.
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by Anas09: 7:09pm On Jul 22, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Yes, his real name is Siddhartha Gautama, a prince from northern India near modern Nepal who lived about 563 and 483 BC.
But, there are very many Buddhas

1 Like

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:27pm On Jul 22, 2019
Anas09:

But, there are very many Buddhas

It is rather Buddhism, a belief system that has evolved into 3 main schools such as Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana.
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by Anas09: 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

It is rather Buddhism, a belief system that has evolved into 3 main schools such as Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana.
Oh. I see
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OkaiCorne(m): 6:27am On Jul 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Hi bro, good morning.

Have you taken out time to read this book by Ravi Zacharias? The Lotus and the Cross.

It's a comparison between Buddhism and the Gospel...

Cheers...
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by sonmvayina(m): 12:03pm On Jul 23, 2019
Or the writers of the Jesus story put the words of Buddha in the mouth of Jesus.... Another strong possibility, given the fact that there where eastern delegates at the council of Nicea

2 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by Anas09: 1:00pm On Jul 23, 2019
sonmvayina:
Or the writers of the Jesus story put the words of Buddha in the mouth of Jesus.... Another strong possibility, given the fact that there where eastern delegates at the council of Nicea
You are always off point.
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:41pm On Jul 23, 2019
OkaiCorne:

Hi bro, good morning.

Have you taken out time to read this book by Ravi Zacharias? The Lotus and the Cross.

It's a comparison between Buddhism and the Gospel...

Cheers...

No I haven't, but I've seen the book review in the videoclip below, and it seems to be an interesting book.

Thanks for the useful resource. smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsYnVaWBntc
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 1:58pm On Jul 23, 2019
Only fools claim their own father's prick is the biggest without pulling down the trousers of other's father's first.

Op, you know nothing about buddhism!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:11pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:

Only fools claim their own father's prick is the biggest without pulling down the trousers of other's father's first.

There are fundamental major differences and at best there are superficial similarities between Christianity and Buddhism. See the depiction below for one of the fundamental differences.

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 2:12pm On Jul 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

There are fundamental major differences and at best there are superficial similarities between Christianity and Buddhism. See the depiction below for one of the fundamental differences.
I repeat, you know absolutely nothing about buddhism!

2 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:16pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:

I repeat, you know absolutely nothing about buddhism!

See why you can't compare Buddhism with Christianity in the videoclip below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5jr00Hyk54

1 Share

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 2:49pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:

OLAADEGBU:

See why you can't compare Buddhism with Christianity in the videoclip below.

https://youtu.be/I5jr00Hk54
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 2:57pm On Jul 23, 2019

1 Like

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:57pm On Jul 23, 2019

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:58pm On Jul 23, 2019

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 3:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:
To speak the name of the dead is to make them live again

Egyptian Proverb 3180BC

3 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:16pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:

To speak the name of the dead is to make them live again
Egyptian Proverb 3180BC

Physically or in your memory? undecided
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 4:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Physically or in your memory? undecided
See the limits of your knowledge. It's either just "physically or in memory" to you!

Read and learn!

2 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:01pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:

See the limits of your knowledge. It's either just "physically or in memory" to you!

Read and learn!

See point 14 in the thread below to see that there is no evidence for the rising of your Buddha, he remains dead.

https://www.nairaland.com/4108872/22-reasons-all-scholars-agree
Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 5:12pm On Jul 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

See point 14 in the thread below to see that there is no evidence for the rising of your Buddha, he remains dead.

https://www.nairaland.com/4108872/22-reasons-all-scholars-agree
The Buddha himself said he would die. Even Jesus is said to have died on the cross for your sins and would send you a Comforter to minister to you so I don't see your point here. Might it be that you never received Comfort?

2 Likes

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:23pm On Jul 23, 2019
budaatum:

The Buddha himself said he would die. Even Jesus is said to have died on the cross for your sins and would send you a Comforter to minister to you so I don't see your point here. Might it be that you never received Comfort?

The difference is that He resurrected bodily, according to the Scriptures and His tomb is empty.

Re: Does It Matter That Buddha Came Long Before Jesus? by budaatum: 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

It is true that Jesus died and was buried according to the scriptures. The difference is that He resurrected bodily, according to the Scriptures and His tomb is empty.
My dear man you have absolutely no understanding of the meaning of Jesus lives and have no willingness to learn since you assume to know despite being completely ignorant. If you bothered to gain understanding, you would realise that Jesus leaves his tomb and dwells in the Kingdom of God, which is supposed to be where, might I ask?

Those for whom Jesus resurrected know better than to go about committing the [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+18%3A9-14&version=NLT]sin of hubris[/url]! And those who don't know crucify and kill Christ.

May Christ resurrect in you. Amen

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jesus Is The Fulfillment Of The Law (tithing), Do I Still Need To Tithe? / Why I Can Never Be An Atheist. / Benny Hinn: "Forgive Me For My False Teachings Over The Years"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.