Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,807 members, 7,831,636 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse (127362 Views)

Adventures Of Lionlee216 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by crushsugar: 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2019
Mastermindx:
Is the post basic nursing of 1 and half year compulsory after the 3yrs?
Not at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Abatemtem(m): 7:58pm On Dec 12, 2019
Thank God for your thread @crushsugar
This has been very helpful especially when I saw where you mentioned work experience is not a must must.

1 Like

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Abatemtem(m): 8:18pm On Dec 12, 2019
Crushsugar, I read that the UK now accepts OET alongside IELTS. How true is this and would you suggest OET over IELTS?
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Mcslize: 10:11pm On Dec 12, 2019
crushsugar:

It's 3years.
I did mine in UBTH

Very nice. UBTH nursing is very good. Being that it's inside a federal teaching hospital, makes it all juicy, because they undergo lots of real life clinical trainings in the wards.

I will surely recommend this to someone.

1 Like

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Ekehwinz: 1:11am On Dec 13, 2019
nanaman:

I'm also a social worker as well. I know there are opportunities in UK, Australia and Canada. Optinh for UK and Australia. Let's relate incase you have idea about UK.

I'm looking out for headways. Please hola if you see any. Nice picks btw
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by James150: 6:12pm On Dec 13, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Depends on what you want, and where ur passion lies. Going for a one yr top up in UK, and proceeding with a nursing career there is a great choice. The UK is in extreme demand for Nurses, and they have become extremely flexible in accepting nurses. So this are the best times to follow that path if it interests you.

If you however want to study MBBS in Russia, make sure you choose a school that's accepted globally, and know Medicine is quite a long, tough, excruciating and turbulent walk, that takes only real passion to survive, and alot of long night of wondering if you are still on the right path, and the demands are not getting any easier. There is also high demand for Doctors in the UK and world over at this point, however no one know what the coming decade hold and how rigorous their demands would be.

In all it's all about you and ur passion, and not doing a course because you were pressured to. Cheers
Thank you so much I really appreciate
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by James150: 6:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
crushsugar:

The major thing that will cost money is rent.
For places I know of it can cost you between 400-800 pounds for an apartment a month depending on the area. But living in a shared apartment can cut down your bills by almost half.
Food is not a burden. 100 pounds can feed you in a month and that is if you sabi eat wella.
Cloths are affordable according to what you have.
Bottom line is live within your means.
With self discipline you can still have enough savings.
Thank you so much I really appreciate thank you
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by James150: 6:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
Lexusgs430:

And what happens to fatigue? If an investigation is launched, you would be totally culpable/responsible. Putting your pin at risk........

Yes you can, if you're robot and get paid for both (both shifts must not be done within the NHS)........
Alright thank you so much.
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by BarristerAlarig: 8:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
Ufemia26:

This is not true. I checked on their website and found out that you must be an RN to be admitted.

I agree. I was wrong.
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by famzynet: 11:17pm On Dec 13, 2019
Ufemia26:

Nice one!
Can i get some advice from you CrushSugar?

I have an intention to go back and study nursing, this is after 4 years of graduating with bsc biochemistry from uniport. However, right now i am confused as i don't know if it is much better enrolling to school of Nursing or the University. The fear of ASUU strike scares me from choosing the latter as i am in my late twenties and i wouldn't want to spend extra years. Studying abroad is no bread and butter as it involves much financial commitment which i can't afford. If not, that option would have been the best for me. I want to know if obtaining RN after 3 years at SON guarantees one of getting a job outside Nigeria

Let me help her to answer this to the best of my knowledge. After the 3 years at school of nursing,you can't automatically get a job abroad. You must write foreign exams and pass before you can look to practice abroad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Ufemia26: 9:41am On Dec 14, 2019
famzynet:

Let me help her to answer this to the best of my knowledge. After the 3 years at school of nursing,you can't automatically get a job abroad. You must write foreign exams and pass before you can look to practice abroad.

I am aware that I will need to write IELTS, CBT, OET and their likes.
However, i am asking to know if RN suffice as a minimum requirement of being considered for a nursing job abroad?
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 14, 2019

1 Like

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by DisGuy: 10:23am On Dec 14, 2019
Laghima

She's in the UK doing nursing. Think you should look for relevant threads for US related exams and visa applications

1 Like

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by famzynet: 2:58pm On Dec 14, 2019
Ufemia26:

I am aware that I will need to write IELTS, CBT, OET and their likes.
However, i am asking to know if RN suffice as a minimum requirement of being considered for a nursing job abroad?

RN is minimal qualification needed.
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by famzynet: 3:04pm On Dec 14, 2019
Laghima:
GM @crushsugar and everyone in the house. I messaged you ma using NL mail and of course you responded, even faster than I would have imagined. I'm sorry for my late response also. I figured you must have been busy since you haven't responded again so I thought of simply laying my Q's here.

I'm a 100level student of medicine and surgery and I'm currently writing my second semester exams. I'd be transiting next session to the college of medicine.

During my days as a jambito, I read many threads on the PLAB and USMLE experience of many erudite minds here on NL and after much thinking, counsel and research, I decided to follow the USMLE route.

As medical practitioners that have sailed outta the country and successfully while also doing well for yourselves, I'd need you to shed light on the following:

-how's the best way to prepare for the exam? Are there past questions or question banks or something of such that is needed just like UTME?

-how can one ace the visa issuance stage for the J1 visa(I'd need this to go write one of the exmas in the States) and eventually the visa needed for the immigration or wouldn't there be any issues?

Please house, anyone with adequate knowledge can respond and also with things you feel I need to know please. I'm planning on taking the step 1 exam in 400/500 levels though. I'm sorry for the length of my post.

Cc: crushsugar, lexusgs430,...

You will get more answers from usmle thread.
Just for you to know,

Most foreign medical exams have materials and previous pass questions that you can get if you ask. Oyibo don't hold questions like Africans. They want you to know what is needed to pass.Most times you will have more materials online than you can even study.

As long as you are travelling for medical exams,you will often get Visa granted except you make silly mistakes like omitting important info or documents,not having adequate funds to sustain you and not putting enough proof to convince them that you will come back after the exam.

1 Like

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 14, 2019
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 14, 2019
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Mastermindx: 8:25pm On Dec 14, 2019
Laghima:
GM @crushsugar and everyone in the house. I messaged you ma using NL mail and of course you responded, even faster than I would have imagined. I'm sorry for my late response also. I figured you must have been busy since you haven't responded again so I thought of simply laying my Q's here.

I'm a 100level student of medicine and surgery and I'm currently writing my second semester exams. I'd be transiting next session to the college of medicine.

During my days as a jambito, I read many threads on the PLAB and USMLE experience of many erudite minds here on NL and after much thinking, counsel and research, I decided to follow the USMLE route.

As medical practitioners that have sailed outta the country and successfully while also doing well for yourselves, I'd need you to shed light on the following:

-how's the best way to prepare for the exam? Are there past questions or question banks or something of such that is needed just like UTME?

-how can one ace the visa issuance stage for the J1 visa(I'd need this to go write one of the exmas in the States) and eventually the visa needed for the immigration or wouldn't there be any issues?

Please house, anyone with adequate knowledge can respond and also with things you feel I need to know please. I'm planning on taking the step 1 exam in 400/500 levels though. I'm sorry for the length of my post.

Oga you're still in 100L, face ur book and graduate first.
Do u know if the system will change before you grad?
You get to the bridge before crossing

5 Likes

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by crushsugar: 9:03pm On Dec 14, 2019
Abatemtem:
Crushsugar, I read that the UK now accepts OET alongside IELTS. How true is this and would you suggest OET over IELTS?
Whichever is ok.
Basically, you don't need to do UKVI IELTS
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by crushsugar: 9:13pm On Dec 14, 2019
Laghima:

Sorry for the delayed response.
I think famzynet has answered your questions.
Pass your exams, Visa comes with guidance that are easy to follow. Just don't worry about it. Things change every now and then.
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by crushsugar: 9:17pm On Dec 14, 2019
I really have no clue how to do this Christmas. Would be on duty though

8 Likes

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Nobody: 5:22am On Dec 15, 2019
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by pharmily(m): 9:44am On Dec 15, 2019
This post just ignited my dream of practicing abroad.

Thanks @crushsugar for making this thread, I've really learnt a lot from it.

Please I'd like to ask...

Are there prospects for medical Radiographers in the UK?

3 Likes

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by tonypat(m): 10:10am On Dec 15, 2019
Are you sure you read through this thread?
Ufemia26:

Nice one!
Can i get some advice from you CrushSugar?

I have an intention to go back and study nursing, this is after 4 years of graduating with bsc biochemistry from uniport. However, right now i am confused as i don't know if it is much better enrolling to school of Nursing or the University. The fear of ASUU strike scares me from choosing the latter as i am in my late twenties and i wouldn't want to spend extra years. Studying abroad is no bread and butter as it involves much financial commitment which i can't afford. If not, that option would have been the best for me. I want to know if obtaining RN after 3 years at SON guarantees one of getting a job outside Nigeria
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by tonypat(m): 10:27am On Dec 15, 2019
Hi Ma'am has your hubby gotten a job yet & like how long will it take to get one..
My wife is an RN with post basic in Psychiatry, we're working on moving to the UK, but we a have a daughter 2yrs old. What would your counsel be to us?
Thanks Sis.[color=#000000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by famzynet: 11:11pm On Dec 15, 2019
pharmily:
This post just ignited my dream of practicing abroad.

Thanks @crushsugar for making this thread, I've really learnt a lot from it.

Please I'd like to ask...

Are there prospects for medical Radiographers in the UK?

The prospect is higher than being in Nigeria. I wonder what you are still doing in Nigeria if you are a medical radiographer. Most of them I know,if not all, have left the country. I learnt their requirement to practice in UK is much easier when compared to other medical professional.

4 Likes

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by STENON(f): 11:16pm On Dec 15, 2019
crushsugar:
I really have no clue how to do this Christmas. Would be on duty though
Christmas bonus...Double pay cheesy
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by crushsugar: 11:44pm On Dec 15, 2019
tonypat:
Hi Ma'am has your hubby gotten a job yet & like how long will it take to get one..
My wife is an RN with post basic in Psychiatry, we're working on moving to the UK, but we a have a daughter 2yrs old. What would your counsel be to us?
Thanks Sis.[color=#000000][/color]

Mine got a job within 2 weeks.
For your daughter, you have to work availability out amongst yourselves or pay for a carer.

4 Likes

Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by crushsugar: 11:45pm On Dec 15, 2019
STENON:
Christmas bonus...Double pay cheesy
I am just hearing this one o abi you are talking about the pay enhancement for working Christmas day?
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by STENON(f): 11:50pm On Dec 15, 2019
crushsugar:

I am just hearing this one o abi you are talking about the pay enhancement for working Christmas day?
lols. You get double hourly pay for working on xmas
Re: Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse by Yemisih(f): 12:20am On Dec 16, 2019
Hi crush nyc thread,pls I wld like to ask few questions
1. Is ur hubby in d medical line ?
2.Do u advice one to travel alone initially or togeda wt kids nd hubby (4+ nd 9months) putting osce in mind
3.How easy is it for spouse dat are nt medics to get job,hubby is a mechanical engineer
4. Are dere specific cities I shld look out for considering his own job availability.
Tnk u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (32) (Reply)

From The Streets Of Warri To Finland: My Story / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA / Dubai: No Police, No Military, No Media Just An Order (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.