Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,154 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Shellacking The Opposition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shellacking The Opposition (653 Views)

As Buhari Constitutes His Government, We Constitutive The Opposition! / I saw this article online "Why The Opposition(money Bags) Don't Want Gej" / 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Shellacking The Opposition by Chxta(m): 5:54pm On Oct 07, 2010
Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said by Winston Churchill, that democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Ioseb Jughashvili was NEVER in the Imperial Russian military. As a matter of fact he dodged serving the Tsar's armies during the Great War against the German invader. His role during the Russian Revolution, Russian Civil War, and Polish-Soviet War was as a Bolshevik political commissar, not as a soldier. However, that lack of soldiering did not prevent him as Joseph Stalin from being the cruellest dictator of the twentieth century. In the 1930s, he gradually removed ALL opposition to his rule in what became known at the Great Purge of the Soviet Communist party. And it was at that point that Soviet Russia finally slid into a full blown dictatorship.

You see, the most successful societies of the last two thousand years have been almost without doubt Imperial Rome, Great Britain and the United States. All three of them have had one thing in common, a vibrant opposition. The Roman emperors, far reaching though their powers may have been, had the Senate as a weight to check their excesses. Britain was set on its way to becoming a global superpower after the nobles curtailed King John's power by forcing him to sign the Magna Carta. Some may even argue that Oliver Cromwell's attempts to kill off opposition during his reign, and the subsequent frowning on opposition with the return of the monarchy actually sparked off the migrations, which lead to English domination of what became the United States. We all know about the constant rancour in the US Congress.

The underlying point here is the importance of a vibrant opposition.

Tolu Ogunlesi, a writer at NEXT has received many thinly veiled threats ever since his article appeared on Wednesday criticising the rather silly statements made by our president last Saturday. On my Facebook page, I also criticised those statements, and I have had a lot of vitriol (and Bible verses) flung in my direction. It all reminds me of a statement once credited to the current Osun State governor, Oyinlola, when on receiving new decampees to the PDP he enjoined other people to "stop playing politics of opposition and join the winning party".

There are two points that can be brought out here; Nigerians generally do not know how to take criticism. Nigerians generally do not have ideals. All of this is displayed in our political class.

On the first point, I called for the president to resign on a radio show on Wednesday morning. Before getting to the office, people had already called my boss to ask if that was NEXT's official position on this matter. No it is not. It is MY opinion, and I am entitled to it.

For the sake of clarity, the only printable word I can think of to describe President Jonathan's conduct since the October 1 affair is goof. And 'goof' is the only word I can think of to describe a lot of things that he has done since just about the time he became substantive president. I believe, and strongly too, that the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria ought to be a strong character who knows his left from his right. Sadly the man currently occupying the office is neither, and it has shone through in a lot of his decisions. If he were stronger, a lot of the flux around Abuja would not be happening.

Again, no matter how you cut it, the president is the Commander-in-Chief of our security forces. A failure of our security personnel is a failure of the president, and the buck stops at his desk. If he cannot call them to heel, then he is not fit for the purpose, and he should leave the stage.

What we had on Saturday was one of the most embarrassing incidents ever, where the President publicly exonerated the ONLY group to have claimed responsibility for Friday's atrocity BEFORE the security agencies had settled down to begin investigating anything. That action alone prejudiced the investigation before it started because the security agencies would not want to contradict their boss.

Then the subsequent actions of those agencies do smell of a political witch hunt against the campaign of Ibrahim Babangida. One must wonder at the sudden efficiency of our security agencies in catching people with text messages when Aba is full of kidnappers and has been full of them for going on two years, yet there has not been one prosecution, not to talk of conviction.

The point must be made here that as far as I am concerned, IBB has no business being our president or in government ever again, and if Nigeria were a normal country where there was justice, he probably not be in the position he is now. But as things stand, IBB has NEVER seen the inside of any Nigerian court much less been convicted, so in reality, and according to the Nigerian Constitution he has EVERY right to run for office. It then becomes the duty of Nigerians to go out on election day and vote against him. This attempt to use underhand tactics to get him out of the presidential race is unseemly, and is a method that could be used in future to shackle the opposition.

You see, in any normal environment there are two extreme ends of the political spectrum, the extreme conservative end, which is also known as the far right, and the extreme liberal end also known as the far left. Typically, people on the far right see any form of change as a bad thing and are opposed to it, while people on the far left tend to always want to change things. But then those are stereotypes. In reality, there is no human being who is entirely conservative, neither is there anyone who is entirely liberal. What you have are people who are more conservative than liberal, or more liberal than conservative. With that in mind, it only makes sense that at any point in time, not everyone will agree on the same points and we will have opposition. Opposition IS ESSENTIAL to the survival of democracy.

Unfortunately in our country, what we have is a culture of the big man always being right. Hence someone like Uche Chukwumerije can yo-yo between three or four parties in less than a year and see nothing wrong with it. People who have possibly killed other people on behalf of the PDP in my home state (Edo) have all swung over to the AC simply because the current governor is from that party, and trust me, if he is kicked out in the next elections, all of these people would sashay back to the PDP like it's nothing new, while those who say things as they are suddenly become enemies.

(1) (Reply)

Ibb Still Hopeful; Ex-military President Refuses To Dismantle Campaign Structure / Atiku’s Supporters Chased Out Of Lagos Airport Vip Lounge / Doctors Down Tools In Asaba Over Female Colleague’s Kidnap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.