Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? (14337 Views)

What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:24pm On Oct 07, 2010
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:25pm On Oct 07, 2010
I took a trip from Eric Moore, Iganmu down to Festac last month.

Here are some pictures from the trip showing work being carried out on the Lagos-Badagry expressway expansion:

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:27pm On Oct 07, 2010
Pic 1: Observe that the brown building on the right is partly demolished.

Pic 2-3: The police station (where you have the two flags) used to extend to the main road.

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:31pm On Oct 07, 2010
Pic 2-4: The Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC ) work site.

CCECC is working on the light rail.

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:35pm On Oct 07, 2010

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2010
Pic 1-2: Observe the partly demolished building

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2010
Pic 2-3: Partly demolished shopping complexes being rebuilt to fit available land space.

Pic 4: Julius Berger (JB) is working on the expansion of the road to ten lanes.

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:45pm On Oct 07, 2010
pic 2: Approaching Eleganza

Pic 3: JB truck (usually used to convey workers embarassed)

pic 4: Observe partly demolished school in the background. Roof removed.

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2010
pic 1-3: At Eleganza

Pic 4: Site of light rail project

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by X2X(m): 7:15pm On Oct 07, 2010
Thanks for the pictures.

I wonder if you have an idea when the 10 lane expansion is expected to be completed?
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by Dsense(m): 7:41pm On Oct 07, 2010
i saw everything wen in naija couple of months ago,theygovernment is hardly working.think sooner the project would be done.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by Mariory(m): 9:16pm On Oct 07, 2010
The updates are much appreciated johnie.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by olafolarin(m): 10:44pm On Oct 07, 2010
Thanks for the update.This definitely nullifies the rumour that the Project gas ben cancelled.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:11am On Oct 08, 2010
Thanks for the compliments.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:16am On Oct 08, 2010
Let's see the remainder of the trip from Eleganza to Festac:

Site of the rail project

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:27am On Oct 08, 2010
pic 2-3: Approaching Mile 2

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:32am On Oct 08, 2010
Pic 3:  I don't really understand what is happening under this bridge at Mile 2.

Is this the result of erosion or is the construction company working under the bridge?

Observe the ubiquitous LASTMA officials perched atop the bridge

pic 4: emerging from under the bridge

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:45am On Oct 08, 2010
Mile 2

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:54am On Oct 08, 2010
Mile 2

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:57am On Oct 08, 2010
Festac Bridge expansion

Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 9:22am On Oct 08, 2010
C'est fini (The End) of Part One

Updates are welcome!
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I drove all the way from Agbara to CMS on Sunday (despite strong protests from the Mrs grin) on my way from Ota. I did that out of curiosity, cos I wanted to see what was going on.
I couldn't see any rail construction. But the roads were all excavated, and are obviously being rebuilt. That's between Orile and Brewries, mind you. After Mile 2 to Badagry, nothing else is going on.

My sentiments exactly!

I was also surprised to find that the only work done between breweries and Mile 2 (Orile infact) was just demolition and excavation.

I gather that the fact that two contractors (JB and CCCEC) are working simultaneously actually hinders the progress of work.
I can imagine the traffic there during working days. I took these pictures on a Saturday.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by AjanleKoko: 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2010
johnie:

I gather that the fact that two contractors (JB and CCCEC) are working simultaneously actually hinders the progress of work.
I can imagine the traffic there during working days. I took these pictures on a Saturday.

Is CCECC doing the rail, while JB is doing the road itself?
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2010
You are correct.

JB is handling the road project.

CCECC is also handling projects for the Nigerian Railway Corporation.

See https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527621.0.html#msg6900494
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2010
Funds, road construction may delay $3bn Lagos light rail – Investigation

By Rasheed Bisiriyu
Friday, 12 Nov 2010

The 2011 delivery date for the Lagos light rail project may no longer be achievable, following delay in the release of funds to the contractor handling the project, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation, investigation by our correspondent has revealed.

Construction of two out of the seven rail lines proposed for the $3bn project was to have commenced early in the year, but CCECC could not immediately mobilise to site until a few months ago.

The light rail replaces the metroline network conceived by the Lateef Jakande administration in the Second Republic.

A source at the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority, the company supervising the project on behalf of the state government, which gave the hint on Thursday, said 2013 was being considered for the completion of the two lines.

The source said, ”The completion time when the light rail project was approved was 2011 but this was changed to 2012 at the beginning of the year. But as it is now, 2012 is no longer feasible. The project cannot be completed earlier than 2013.”

The state government will fund the infrastructure of the rail project and guide interested private firms to operate the lines as being done with the Bus Rapid Transit scheme.

Unlike road infrastructure, which is receiving financial support from the World Bank, the state government is exclusively funding the light rail, which is a more capital expensive project.

According to the source, ”The fixed assets, including construction of the alignment, bridges, and stations, will be wholly funded by the Lagos State Government.

”A concessionaire is currently being sought to procure and finance rolling stock and depot facilities, as well as provide operations and maintenance over a 25-year period. The concessionaire will be compensated through passenger revenues, as well as revenues earned from retail activities within stations.”

The Managing Director, LAMATA, Dr. Dayo Moberola, in a terse reply to an enquiry on the update of the project, said 15 per cent of the work had been completed, ”including ground work.”

Apart from funds, he also said that the speed of work would be determined by Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, the contractor handling the expansion of the Badagry Expressway.

While the red line rail is to run from Marina to Agbado, covering Agege, Mushin and Iddo; the blue line has a stretch of 27 Kilometres, running from Okokomaiko to Marina through Mile 2, one of the most densely travelled corridors in Lagos.

The blue line is being developed in conjunction with the Badagry Expressway Project, a proposed toll road from Lagos to Badagry.

The source said, ”Even if CCECC wants to speed up its work, it can only go at the pace of the road project because they are intertwined. So, CCECC can only go at the pace of Julius Berger, which is working on the road expansion.”

Another source at CCECC, which also requested not to be named, said that what the Chinese firm was doing currently was laying a solid foundation for the superstructure.

According to him, ”The rail line will fly on a bridge from the National Theatre to the Iganmu Station, which is currently Orile Bus Stop.”

A visit to the head office of the Nigerian Railway Corporation on Thursday revealed that a lot of earthwork was going on at the proposed work yard for the light rail.

The Chinese workers were also found to be busy working on the Orile-end of the project, causing major traffic congestion on both sides of the road.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20101112123814
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by onemopol: 1:43pm On Nov 12, 2010
@johnie

You are doing a nice job here. kudos
I saw the work done between orile and mile 2 yesterday and i am really impressed.

Have they started anything around okokomaiko,agbara area?
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2010
Thanks for the compliments.

I am not sure any work has started in the areas you mentioned.

Major work has been at the Orile-Mile 2 end.

I stand to be corrected as I do not live at or frequent that area.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by onemopol: 6:15pm On Nov 12, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice one man. I will be going to trade fair tommorrow. I 'll try to see if anything serious is happeneing after mile 2.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 6:48pm On Nov 12, 2010
Pls provide us with updates when you get back.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 11:09am On Nov 15, 2010
one mopol:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Nice one man. I will be going to trade fair tommorrow. I 'll try to see if anything serious is happeneing after mile 2.

Any update?
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by onemopol: 1:18pm On Nov 15, 2010
johnie:

Any update?

yea, i drove to trade fair on saturday, and the truth is nothing is happening after mile 2. I suspect they are phasing the work to make the traffic situation manageble for motorist.

Looking at the terrain after mile 2 , i think the task of constructing portions after mile 2 might be easier. They will sure need to do some serious sandfilling between mile 2 and trade fair, because the bushy stretch behind festac looks mashy to me. Aside probably overhead bridges that need be constructed at major bus stops, I think the work there might be faster.
Re: What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? by johnie: 3:13pm On Nov 15, 2010
Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ILR Application (SET M) / UK Suspends £3,000 Visa Bond / Ebonyi Government Begins Upgrade Of Airport Runway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.