Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

ILR Application (SET M) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ILR Application (SET M) (14308 Views)

20 Years Stay In UK And ILR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 4:33pm On Aug 10, 2021
Hi Everyone,

Having searched unsuccessfully for ILR thread, I decided to start one.

I have recently been through my ILR application so I will just post useful links or info that helped me and my timeline. Anyone with additional info should feel free to add.

I should add that my ILR experience is as a spouse of a British Citizen (SET M) so the information I have is on this route. Other routes have similarities but have their own peculiar documentation requirements.

Timeline:

Applied for ILR Route : Set (M)
Application submitted: 08/12/2020
Document Uploaded : 31/12/2021
Date Biometrics Enrolled : 05/01/2021
Application type : Standard
Approval/Refusal Received : 19/05/2021
BRP Card Received : 21/05/2021

I don't think it's necessary to add my list of documents as the application process personalises one's document list based on the information you entered but as a guide, it's basically the documents used for FLR (M) + life in the UK test. My advice is to write the LIUK test as soon as you can, it doesn't expire.

4 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 4:44pm On Aug 10, 2021
Just a few things I didn't know before I started researching for my application that may be useful to other people.

180 days absence rule does not seem to apply to ILR SET (M). Check this link out

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/the-180-day-absence-rule-doesnt-apply-to-people-with-a-spouse-or-partner-visa/

I didn't try this as I didn't exceed the allowed absence but the information might be useful to someone.

At the time I applied, SET (M) was taking ages to process, a lot longer than other routes. I am not sure if that is normal or if it's due to the pandemic and backlog. Although, one can always pay for priority and have a much quicker turnaround. I didn't as I wasn't in a hurry so didn't see the need or justification to spend the additional fee.

As with FLR (M) you can get your employer to perform right to work checks after you put your application in or if you are switching jobs.

Remember that the date of application is your online submission date so all documents should ideally be dated prior to this date not the biometrics enrolment date. Don't forget the 28 day rule for your documents.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by oladunni4real: 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2021
Thank you for creating this. So what happens next after ILR, do you apply for your citizenship immediately or are there further rules to that too. smiley smiley smiley
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 10:01pm On Aug 13, 2021
oladunni4real:
Thank you for creating this. So what happens next after ILR, do you apply for your citizenship immediately or are there further rules to that too. smiley smiley smiley

After ILR, it's naturalisation/citizenship. I applied online in July and had my biometrics yesterday. If your ILR is SET(M), then you can apply for naturalisation immediately your ILR is approved. It requires a lot less documentation than ILR just that you need 2 referees.

1 Like

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by Demoore(m): 7:46pm On Aug 18, 2021
newbie715:
Just a few things I didn't know before I started researching for my application that may be useful to other people.

180 days absence rule does not seem to apply to ILR SET (M). Check this link out

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/the-180-day-absence-rule-doesnt-apply-to-people-with-a-spouse-or-partner-visa/

I didn't try this as I didn't exceed the allowed absence but the information might be useful to someone.

At the time I applied, SET (M) was taking ages to process, a lot longer than other routes. I am not sure if that is normal or if it's due to the pandemic and backlog. Although, one can always pay for priority and have a much quicker turnaround. I didn't as I wasn't in a hurry so didn't see the need or justification to spend the additional fee.

As with FLR (M) you can get your employer to perform right to work checks after you put your application in or if you are switching jobs.

Remember that the date of application is your online submission date so all documents should ideally be dated prior to this date not the biometrics enrolment date. Don't forget the 28 day rule for your documents.

All the best.

Thanks for setting the ILR page up.
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by oladunni4real: 3:41pm On Aug 22, 2021
Thank you. We will sha stop paying this money one day. Congrats you're almost at the finish line. grin grin grin
newbie715:

After ILR, it's naturalisation/citizenship. I applied online in July and had my biometrics yesterday. If your ILR is SET(M), then you can apply for naturalisation immediately your ILR is approved. It requires a lot less documentation than ILR just that you need 2 referees.
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by wallg123: 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2021
newbie715:
Hi Everyone,
Having searched unsuccessfully for ILR thread, I decided to start one.
Timeline:

I don't think it's necessary to add my list of Pls just list them it’s necessary no vex …mine is coming up at the end January. I’ve already passed Life in the UK test.

The timeline is long oh. 5 months ?. I’ll be so restless…
I’m guessing you didn’t use lawyer ?
Also how much did it cost in total?…
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 11:59pm On Aug 26, 2021
wallg123:

I don't think it's necessary to add my list of Pls just list them it’s necessary no vex …mine is coming up at the end January. I’ve already passed Life in the UK test.

The timeline is long oh. 5 months ?. I’ll be so restless…
I’m guessing you didn’t use lawyer ?
Also how much did it cost in total?…

Yes, my timeline really stretched out. Other applicants on other settlement routes even without priority were getting responses in 6 weeks, the long wait was annoying but I didn't sweat it, I changed jobs in the middle of the application, my new employers just sent the request form to check my immigration status and they got a response fairly quickly which was good.

I have never used a lawyer in any of the many applications I have made.

I paid £2389 + 19.20 biometric fees

I have included my document list:

Below are the documents I used
ILR (SET M):

Identification documents:
My passport data page
Spouse Passport data page
NARIC certificate for English Language
Degree Certificate
Marriage certificate
Children birth certificate

Proof of Co-habitation:
Gas ‎and Electricity bills
Letter addressed to me from HMRC
Bank Statement  
NHS appointment Letters 
Bank Letters 

Proof of Income:
I always use only my spouse's income
His 6 months bank statements (last one within 28 days)
His 6 months pay slips stamped and signed by HR(last one within 28 days)
Letter from his employer (within 28 days) confirming date of employment, full time/part time, salary and authenticity of pay slips

Accommodation:
Mortgage Statement‎
Council tax bill

Life in the UK Test

Note that there will be no IHS fee requirement.

7 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by Demoore(m): 11:48am On Aug 27, 2021
newbie715:

Yes, my timeline really stretched out. Other applicants on other settlement routes even without priority were getting responses in 6 weeks, the long wait was annoying but I didn't sweat it, I changed jobs in the middle of the application, my new employers just sent the request form to check my immigration status and they got a response fairly quickly which was good.

I have included my document list:

Below are the documents I used
ILR (SET M):

Identification documents:
My passport data page
Spouse Passport data page
NARIC certificate for English Language
Degree Certificate
Marriage certificate
Children birth certificate

Proof of Co-habitation:
Gas ‎and Electricity bills
Letter addressed to me from HMRC
Bank Statement  
NHS appointment Letters 
Bank Letters 

Proof of Income:
I always use only my spouse's income
His 6 months bank statements (last one within 28 days)
His 6 months pay slips stamped and signed by HR(last one within 28 days)
Letter from his employer (within 28 days) confirming date of employment, full time/part time, salary and authenticity of pay slips

Accommodation:
Mortgage Statement‎
Council tax bill

Life in the UK Test

Very helpful, thank you for sharing. I will use this as a guide early next year for my application.

1 Like

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by wallg123: 10:41pm On Aug 28, 2021
newbie715:

I have included my document

Thank you. Much appreciated
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by justwise(m): 9:27am On Aug 29, 2021
newbie715:

I think that is after at least one year on ILR
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 6:58pm On Aug 29, 2021
justwise:

I think that is after at least one year on ILR

Not if you got your ILR as a spouse of a British citizen, that is the only route that allows you to apply for naturalisation without the one year wait after ILR. I stated that the information here is for SET(M).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by abubarakat: 7:07pm On Aug 30, 2021
Thanks for creating this thread. I created one a while ago but it got deleted by the "admins".

Looking forward to my application in January. It's not any different from the FLR application with the exception of Life in the UK test. All the best to everyone.
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 12:23am On Aug 31, 2021
abubarakat:
Thanks for creating this thread. I created one a while ago but it got deleted by the "admins".

Looking forward to my application in January. It's not any different from the FLR application with the exception of Life in the UK test. All the best to everyone.

Oh interesting, do you know why the thread you created was closed?
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by abubarakat: 12:12pm On Aug 31, 2021
If i recall correctly, I think the reason was that we already have the FLR thread which has information that can be used for ILR.

In all fairness, this is true to an extent. However, i still prefer a new thread to keep things more distinct.

Thank you for creating the thread and congratulations on your successful ILR application.

newbie715:

Oh interesting, do you know why the thread you created was closed?
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by Demoore(m): 12:50pm On Aug 31, 2021
abubarakat:

Hi Abubarakat, you know I'm following you right after as I'm due to apply for my ILR in Feb next year. Have you managed to sort out your LIUK test yet?
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 7:48pm On Aug 31, 2021
abubarakat:
If i recall correctly, I think the reason was that we already have the FLR thread which has information that can be used for ILR.

In all fairness, this is true to an extent. However, i still prefer a new thread to keep things more distinct.

Thank you for creating the thread and congratulations on your successful ILR application.

Thank you, just waiting on the citizenship application now. Hopefully I will hear by the end of the year.

2 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by wallg123: 6:36am On Sep 01, 2021
newbie715:

Thank you, just waiting on the citizenship application now. Hopefully I will hear by the end of the year.
All the best

1 Like

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by Tayo1939: 12:16pm On Sep 04, 2021
Thanks you for this information. I thought it is passport that will be issued for naturalisation/citizenship?
newbie715:

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 3:01pm On Sep 04, 2021
Tayo1939:
Thanks you for this information. I thought it is passport that will be issued for naturalisation/citizenship?

Sadly not, so there will be one more round of application after ILR to attain citizenship after which you can then apply for British passport. I hope that clarifies.
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by abubarakat: 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2021
Yes boss. I attempted it last week but failed; I needed 2 more correct answers to pass. It was very painful but no shaking, we go again!

Demoore:

Hi Abubarakat, you know I'm following you right after as I'm due to apply for my ILR in Feb next year. Have you managed to sort out your LIUK test yet?

1 Like

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by abubarakat: 12:53am On Oct 09, 2021
Happy to report that I have finally passed the test at the 3rd attempt (shame dey catch me but we move!).

I tried it the first time just to see what the test was about and I unsurprisingly failed.

For the 2nd attempt, I downloaded this free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblingiso.LifeintheUKTest. I did some of the practice tests, memorised the answers to some of the questions I was flagged at the 1st attempt and felt confident I could pass. I submitted and proceeded to be notified of the outcome only to be told I had failed again.

For the 3rd and final attempt, I was now tired of gambling and wasting £50 and my time for each attempt. So I began to properly study for it by reading all the 5 chapters using this website: https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/study-guide/, did some practice tests here https://lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk/, paid for the official app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.tso.lituk and booked the test. Glory be to God, I passed after adequate preparation.

TLDR: Study all the 5 chapters, memorise historic dates and events, British inventions and inventors, government and court systems, the patron saints etc. All the best to everyone.

Demoore:

7 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 7:05am On Oct 11, 2021
abubarakat:
Happy to report that I have finally passed the test at the 3rd attempt (shame dey catch me but we move!).

TLDR: Study all the 5 chapters, memorise historic dates and events, British inventions and inventors, government and court systems, the patron saints etc. All the best to everyone.

Congratulations

1 Like

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by abubarakat: 9:59am On Oct 12, 2021
Thanks

newbie715:

Congratulations
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by Fynebouy: 2:28am On Oct 13, 2021
Thank you very much for setting up this Thread; I have been looking forward to one.
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 5:02pm On Dec 08, 2021
Happy to update that my naturalisation application has been approved and I have now booked Citizenship ceremony for 1st week in January.

9 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by abubarakat: 3:35pm On Dec 11, 2021
Congratulations. The end is near in sight. You don commit hand for visa application fees.

How long did your naturalisation application take?

Planning to submit straight after ILR in January.

newbie715:
Happy to update that my naturalisation application has been approved and I have now booked Citizenship ceremony for 1st week in January.
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by gratefulme40: 12:09am On Dec 12, 2021
abubarakat:
Congratulations. The end is near in sight. You don commit hand for visa application fees.

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 3:21pm On Dec 12, 2021
abubarakat:

Here is my naturalisation application timeline

Method of application: Online
Date of application: 15/07/2021
Date of debit of fees: 15/07/2021
Date Biometrics enrolled: 12/08/2021
Date of receipt of Approval Email: 06/12/2021
Citizenship ceremony date: booked for 05/01/2022

I think it could have been shorter, they emailed and requested some documents but I was away at the time and I was due back 5 weeks after the request was made so I just sent an email and explained I was away. I got the decision a week after I emailed the documents in.

1 Like

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by tushqueen(f): 4:05pm On Dec 15, 2021
abubarakat:

Please what's FLR, SET (M). These abbreviations don't sound familiar to me
Re: ILR Application (SET M) by newbie715: 11:39pm On Dec 15, 2021
tushqueen:

Please what's FLR, SET (M). These abbreviations don't sound familiar to me

These are visa terminologies

FLR - Further Leave to Remain (the visa you obtain after your initial visa if you are on a settlement route)

SET - Settlement then (M) is a category of Settlement visa used by immediate relatives of a settled person in the UK.

I hope that clarifies

2 Likes

Re: ILR Application (SET M) by tushqueen(f): 1:43pm On Dec 16, 2021
newbie715:

These are visa terminologies

FLR - Further Leave to Remain (the visa you obtain after your initial visa if you are on a settlement route)

SET - Settlement then (M) is a category of Settlement visa used by immediate relatives of a settled person in the UK.

Yes, thank you. So you mean the principal visa applicant gets settled first before the dependants can apply even if they moved to the UK together

I hope that clarifies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Whose Uber Driver Was Accused Of Absconding With Rider’s Laptop, Speaks / Work On Lagos-ibadan Rail Begins April 14 – NRC / Airports Only 57% Ready For Flights Resumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.