Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? (1205 Views)

Barcelona Have Won Just 3 Matches In The UCL Since Messi Left / 5 Most Anticipated World Cup Round 3 Matches / Messi Breaks Goalless Record Against Chelsea To Equalise After Willian’s Opener (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by Nobody: 2:13am On Jun 30, 2019
I didn't watch yesterday's matches but came back to see the scores and saw that all yesterday's matches ended goalless. This is in keeping with the way every other AFCON matches have gone in this tournament where most matches have ended in slim margin of victory with most matches ending 1-0 or 1-1.

I think Mali has won with the widest margin of 3-1 in the whole tournament so far.

So, I've been thinking what could be the cause of the drab matches. Is it that Africa has no strikers or that Africa has good defenders?
Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by Jilo83(m): 3:07am On Jun 30, 2019
It shows that no team is a push over
Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by Memberclub(m): 7:02am On Jun 30, 2019
Awol1:
I didn't watch yesterday's matches but came back to see the scores and saw that all yesterday's matches ended goalless. This is in keeping with the way every other AFCON matches have gone in this tournament where most matches have ended in slim margin of victory with most matches ending 1-0 or 1-1.

I think Mali has won with the widest margin of 3-1 in the whole tournament so far.

So, I've been thinking what could be the cause of the drab matches. Is it that Africa has no strikers or that Africa has good defenders?
in euro 2016 same thing happened.
Teams are trying to gather points to qualify even at 3rd best.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by tbabs10166(m): 7:05am On Jun 30, 2019
Awol1:

it's Mali 4-1 Mauritania. I think we can only begin to enjoy this afcon from round of 16, those matches are just too boring.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by baiaon(m): 7:25am On Jun 30, 2019
I believe the number of teams participating at this tournament should be reduced to the former 16 teams rather than the present 24.Burundi,Guinea-Bissau,Mauritania even Angola have been awful

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by tbabs10166(m): 7:30am On Jun 30, 2019
baiaon:
I believe the number of teams participating at this tournament should be reduced to the former 16 teams rather than the present 24.Burundi,Guinea-Bissau and Mauritania have been awful
they are trying to imitate europe so as to improve African football.
Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by baiaon(m): 7:37am On Jun 30, 2019
tbabs10166:
they are trying to imitate europe so as to improve African football.
I understand CAF is trying to give smaller teams in Africa an opportunity to showcase their football to a larger audience but what if many of the smaller teams are so low quality,they are incapable of showcasing any brand of watchable football to an audience?Majority of the smaller teams at this tournament can't pass,cross,create scoring chances even head the ball correctly.
Madagascar has performed well though

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by Kakamorufu(m): 8:12am On Jun 30, 2019
everything is involved.
Re: AFCON: Goalless Draw In 3 Matches; Poor Strikers Or Good Defenders? by tbabs10166(m): 10:51am On Jun 30, 2019
baiaon:
I understand CAF is trying to give smaller teams in Africa an opportunity to showcase their football to a larger audience but what if many of the smaller teams are so low quality,they are incapable of showcasing any brand of watchable football to an audience?Majority of the smaller teams at this tournament can't pass,cross,create scoring chances even head the ball correctly.
Madagascar has performed well though
agreed, but just in line with the point u raised, Madagascar has proven to be an exception, and this could boost their confidence in subsequent qualifiers and tournaments. Same thing happened when uefa tried it in the recent euro 2016. It gave teams like iceland and Hungary an opportunity to prove themselves which we all witnessed. Definitely not all the teams will impress u, and this might just be an experiment by caf just to see if they should continue the 24 team format.

(1) (Reply)

Highest Goal Scorers In Laliga This Season.(see Top 18) / How To Watch Live Matches On Your Android Phone Without Subscription / Brother Impregnant Sister In Lagos- Would You Allow Them To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.