Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,616 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) (18251 Views)

2Baba, Blackface At Faze’s Twin Sister, Ifeyinwa Asia Service Of Songs (Photos) / Google Celebrates Christy Essien-igbokwe.. / Michael Essien Dated Princess Shyngle Who 99.9% Of Men Couldn't Satisfy Sexually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by fergie001: 12:50pm On Jun 30, 2019
Nigeria's lady of Songs was born Christiana Uduak Essien in Okat, Onna Local Government Area of present-day Akwa-Ibom State, Nigeria on the 11th of November, 1960.

She lost her father in 2005 and her mother whilst she was 12 years old. After the demise of her mother, she had gone to live with her mother's friend where the latter encouraged her to keep up her musical career by getting her a used cassette-player to record her songs.

She performed at Secondary schools in Aba as well as a feature at the Nigeria Television Authority, Channel 6 "New Sound" programme, Aba. Her breakthrough came up with the role of "Akpenor", the wife of the humoured Jegede Sokoya in the popular sitcom series of the '80s, The New Masquerade. She capitalised on the fame and ventured into professional music in 1977, aged 17 with her maiden album, Freedom. In 1981, her biggest album, "Ever Liked My Person" hit the radio waves with her evergreen and unforgettable Seun Rere.

Same year,she was attributed to have set up the first meet for an association to protect musicians. In 1982, the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN) was born, with her as National Treasurer. In 1996, she became the first female President of PMAN.

Until her death, she remained an activist fighting against female circumcision and championing issues as it affects the Nigerian child. She starred in two movies "Flesh and Blood" and "Scars of Womanhood" reflecting a new societal path in distancing from the past norm of girl-child mutilation.

With over 40 awards, "the lady of songs" sang fluently in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Hausa and her native Ibibio. She got married to Edwin Igbokwe (then an Executive of the Punch newspapers) in 1979 with whom she had four children.

She slept in the LORD on this day, June 30, 2011, aged 50.... A service of songs was held in her honour at the National Theatre, Iganmu. We will always remember the rhythms of Seun Rere, Patience and her unvarnished love for children.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Essien-Igbokwe

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by fergie001: 12:51pm On Jun 30, 2019

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by naptu2: 12:54pm On Jun 30, 2019
fergie001:
Nigeria's lady of Songs was born Christiana Uduak Essien in Okat, Onna Local Government Area of present-day Akwa-Ibom State, Nigeria on the 11th of November, 1960.

She lost her father in 2005 and her mother whilst she was 12 years old. After the demise of her mother, she had gone to live with her mother's friend where the latter encouraged her to keep up her musical career by getting her a used cassette-player to record her songs.

She performed at Secondary schools in Aba as well as a feature at the Nigeria Television Authority, Channel 6 "New Sound" programme, Aba. Her breakthrough came up with the role of "Akpenor", the wife of the humoured Jegede Sokoya in the popular sitcom series of the '80s, The New Masquerade. She capitalised on the fame and ventured into professional music in 1977, aged 17 with her maiden album, Freedom. In 1981, her biggest album, "Ever Liked My Person" hit the radio waves with her evergreen and unforgettable Seun Rere.

Same year,she was attributed to have set up the first meet for an association to protect musicians. In 1982, the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN) was born, with her as National Treasurer. In 1996, she became the first female President of PMAN.

Until her death, she remained an activist fighting against female circumcision and championing issues as it affects the Nigerian child. She starred in two movies "Flesh and Blood" and "Scars of Womanhood" reflecting a new societal path in distancing from the past norm of girl-child mutilation.

With over 40 awards, "the lady of songs" sang fluently in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Efik, Hausa and her native Ibibio. She got married to Edwin Igbokwe (then an Executive of the Punch newspapers) in 1979 with whom she had four children.

She slept in the LORD on this day, June 30, 2011, aged 50.... A service of songs was held in her honour at the National Theatre, Iganmu. We will always remember the rhythms of Seun Rere, Patience and her unvarnished love for children.

©Wikipedia
naptu2

Why did you mention my username??
Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by fergie001: 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2019
naptu2:

You are vast in these things and know better than I do,I think...will edit

1 Like

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by Easybela(f): 6:40pm On Jun 30, 2019
embarassed oh,don't know her,she tried.
Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by 9jaBloke: 6:40pm On Jun 30, 2019
Tot it was naptu2. I actually rushed in thinking it was his thread.

Rest on our multitalented Lady of Songs. Your legacy lives on.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by ofemigeorge(m): 6:40pm On Jun 30, 2019
Please where is this woman that sang the "Nigeria my beloved country"
Funmi adams my long time crush lipsrsealed undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by HEFAIROHLUWA(m): 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2019

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by bigDickson(m): 6:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
m
Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by xynerise: 6:44pm On Jun 30, 2019
Seun rere

My best

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by xynerise: 6:45pm On Jun 30, 2019
ofemigeorge:
Please where is the woman that sang the "Nigeria my beloved country"

Funmi Adams

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by bestman09(m): 6:46pm On Jun 30, 2019
Easybela:

Indomie generation!

20 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by tempest01(m): 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2019
I thought it was the lady MTN claimed won an aeroplane back then that nobody knows of.
Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by omoagbeke(m): 6:48pm On Jun 30, 2019
Easybela:
Indomie generation

12 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:48pm On Jun 30, 2019
THE ONE AND ONLY WOMAN OF SONGS!
God bless you in heaven.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by sapientia(m): 6:50pm On Jun 30, 2019
Just last night, I needed to hear a few of her songs and has to download a few.

A very good musician.

Her mastery of Nigerian languages at a time it was not common still amaze me till date.

Legend to Legend.

Adios Ma.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by Oluhills007: 6:51pm On Jun 30, 2019
This woman sang songs that touched people.. .. This were the real female giants of the Nigerian music industry.. Continue to RIP

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by sapientia(m): 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2019
naptu2:

When i saw the heading, i actually thought it was your thread.
Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by haddona29: 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2019
waoh!
Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by obiekunie2: 6:54pm On Jun 30, 2019
naptu2:

CAUSE THAT'S THE KIND OF HISTORIC TOPICS YOU CREATE. I ACTUALLY THOUGHT IT WAS YOU THAT CREATED IT - WAS KIND OF DISAPPOINTED WHEN I SAW IT WASN'T YOU.

ODD THAT YOU COULDN'T REMEMBER TO HONOR HER - I GUESS YOU WHERE CARRIED AWAY BY FATOYINBO FALSE ACCUSATIONS.

ANYWAYS LOTS OF US DO APPRECIATE YOUR TOPICS.

2 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by obiekunie2: 6:55pm On Jun 30, 2019
ofemigeorge:
Please where is this woman that sang the "Nigeria my beloved country"
Funmi adams my long time crush lipsrsealed undecided

FUNMI SIMPLY DISAPPEARED WITHOUT TRACE - NOT EVEN GOOGLE COULD TRACE HER. sad

6 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by King44(m): 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2019
fergie001:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Essien-Igbokwe
seun rere that song is evergreen, I thought she was Yoruba o choi

4 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by afroniger: 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2019
Before the likes of Tiwa Savage and Yemi Slade, there was the unforgettable Christy. Keep resting in peace, great and legendary Lady of Songs.

9 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2019
It is a good thing she is still remembered .

The Labour of our heroes past should never be in vain.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by obiekunie2: 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2019
Easybela:

THIS ONE NA PURE INDOMIE GENERATION.

NO! SORRY! BOBO GENERATION! cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by chukwuibuipob: 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2019
sad embarassed indomie kiddies nor go understand

2 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2019
Easybela:
Don't mind the fufu generation calling you indomie generation..
There are many musicians in the past that they don't know about also.

She is one of the best female musician to have come out of Nigeria.
Now you know dearie.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by cyborg123(m): 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2019
Respect. kiss

1 Like

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by chigoziri2403(m): 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2019
can never forget her, her songs made most of my youthful nostalgia

4 Likes

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:01pm On Jun 30, 2019
obiekunie2:

THIS ONE NA PURE INDOMIE GENERATION.

NO! SORRY! BOBO GENERATION! cheesy
Sorry o. FUFU generation!

Finish your fufu abeg....

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Christy-essien Igbokwe: Remembering "Nigeria's Lady Of Songs" (1960 -2011) by mildflame: 7:03pm On Jun 30, 2019
m

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sholaye Jeremi Has No Social Media Account- Obafemi Ajayi, Media Aide / Patience Ozokwor Celebrates Her 58th Birthday Today! / Peter Okoye Speaks Out On Mother's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.