Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? (946 Views)

This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society / See What Happens When The Boot Of A Car Becomes Inadequate (PHOTOS) / Mercedes-Benz Is Phasing Out V-6 Engines In Favor Of Inline-6s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? by Wigetsolar: 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2019
Hello Cartalkers, I have been wondering what might happen if I drive a 2.0L Honda Accord and replaces the engine when it is old with say, a 2.4L Engine.

My friend drives has a 2001 Honda Accord (baby boy) and while he travelled and the valves bent as a result of snapped timing belt. He left the car there and went to the nearest autoparts market and bought another engine, which he didn't know is the 1999 model engine (probably with higher displacement) and after it was installed, he complained of slightly higher fuel consumption.

My questions are:
1. Will the Ecu adjust fuel values for the new engine?
2. Will it affect fuel consumption?

Gazzuz_
Nurey
Re: What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? by nurey(m): 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2019
Wigetsolar:
Hello Cartalkers, I have been wondering what might happen if I drive a 2.0L Honda Accord and replaces the engine when it is old with say, a 2.4L Engine.

My friend drives has a 2001 Honda Accord (baby boy) and while he travelled and the valves bent as a result of snapped timing belt. He left the car there and went to the nearest autoparts market and bought another engine, which he didn't know is the 1999 model engine (probably with higher displacement) and after it was installed, he complained of slightly higher fuel consumption.

My questions are:

Gazzuz_
Nurey

1998 to 2002 Honda Accord had only 2.3L engine, it's not possible to fit a 2.4L KA20A into baby boy like ABC, the 2.4L is different in appearance, more expensive to purchase and an headache for kazeem to fit it correctly into the baby boy.

The 2.0L was available in rear markets like Philippines and new Zealand for the DX model. but American had 2.3 as standard depending on trim would determine output of the 2.3L

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? by Wigetsolar: 4:09pm On Jul 02, 2019
nurey:

1998 to 2002 Honda Accord had only 2.3L engine, it's not possible to fit a 2.4L KA20A into baby boy like ABC, the 2.4L is different in appearance, more expensive to purchase and an headache for kazeem to fit it correctly into the baby boy.

The 2.0L was available in rear markets like Philippines and new Zealand for the DX model. but American had 2.3 as standard depending on trim would determine output of the 2.3L
Thanks but it is not just about "Baby Boy"

In other cars as well, such as buying a 1.6L engine for a formerly 1.8L engine VW Golf (ECU controlled) for example, will anything change?
Re: What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? by nurey(m): 5:01pm On Jul 02, 2019
Wigetsolar:

Thanks but it is not just about "Baby Boy"

In other cars as well, such as buying a 1.6L engine for a formerly 1.8L engine VW Golf (ECU controlled) for example, will anything change?

Yes let's take golf 3 for example

The engines available are 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5 etc.

if you are changing from higher to lower or vice versal you will need need to change somethings depending on whether you are going higher or lower.

1. Engine seating

2. carburetor to injector

3. gear type, lower engines may have 4speed while higher will have 5 speed the lower speed may not be able to accommodate change in power output hence erratic motion and lift off, vibration during change in gear.

4. ECU may need to be upgraded/changed/remapped.

5. Wire harness to important components.

6 belts and pulley change since pulley teeth May differ and diameter change calls for change in belt circumference.

etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When I Change Engines With Different Displacement? by timifakay(m): 7:17pm On Jul 02, 2019
Wigetsolar:

My questions are:

Gazzuz_
Nurey

Difference goes beyond engine displacement...
There would be difference in nozzle and ignition coil sockets to say the least...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Get The Best Auto Parts For Your Car In Nigeria. / C350 Users!! / 2008 Clean Tokunbo Murano SUV For Sale In PH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.