Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,153 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency (40246 Views)

BRICS To Launch A Single Currency Similar To Euro ? / West Africa Single Currency - A Journey To Nowhere? / ECOWAS Presidents To Meet On Single Currency Regime Dec. 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Ugosample(m): 10:59pm On Jul 02, 2019
Kkshanana90:

Greece has always been in trouble since time immemorial. You can read more on the historical origin of Greece Sovereign Debt Crisis. Greece economy is even now relatively better!

Italy’s case is not the result of adopting the Euros. Italy’s demographic structure is getting worse. The country is experiencing aging population. This affects productivity. Yet it is the first point of arrival for refugees and asylum seekers in Europe. Refugees who remain in Italy mainly do illegal jobs yet they are being paid monthly stipends. They are therefore not being productive! In Germany, they are well utilized.

I can go on. Why didn’t you mention France, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands? The problem is not the Euros, it is domestic policy failures!

smh cheesy

You are not getting my point

those countries in trouble would have saved themselves if they have not lost their monetary sovereignty t to a central bank in Brussels
If there central banks were still central banks, the countries would have saved themselves easily
but becayse they had no control over their monetary issues, their situation for worse

Okay imagine a Nigeria under Buhari in 2016

You really think the cbn would have practiced all manners of experiment if Nigeria were using this fvckin "ECO"?

We would have been double fvcked

not to think that these our neighbours are still tied to the apron strings of France by choice

You really think France will not use back door to influence policy decisions (these countries are ever ready to please France)
with that happening don't you know we are screwed ?

The dynamics are not just right

economic union is good

promoting trade is good

but evetinr should keep there currencies

NAFTA volume of trade is massive

but then

the U.S. Canada and Mexico still kedps their currencies

the NAFTA model will suit ECOWAS better than this experiment

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by GMbuharii: 11:04pm On Jul 02, 2019
AdolfHitlerxXx:

Sifia pains
cheesy

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Cadec007(m): 11:25pm On Jul 02, 2019
Benekruku:
Great.

The sleeping giant will rise one day.

I miss Ghadaffi!

you know this!!!!!!!!!!!!
I salute you sir
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Benekruku(m): 11:35pm On Jul 02, 2019
Cadec007:
you know this!!!!!!!!!!!!
I salute you sir

Thanks for the compliment!

Much appreciated!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Cadec007(m): 11:48pm On Jul 02, 2019
Benekruku:

Thanks for the compliment!

Much appreciated!
sad the rest of Africa don't share the same vision.. Or perhaps they do but conflict is a barrier... Case study North Africa....
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 02, 2019
Ugosample:

smh cheesy

You are not getting my point

those countries in trouble would have saved themselves if they have not lost their monetary sovereignty t to a central bank in Brussels
If there central banks were still central banks, the countries would have saved themselves easily
but becayse they had no control over their monetary issues, their situation for worse

Okay imagine a Nigeria under Buhari in 2016

You really think the cbn would have practiced all manners of experiment if Nigeria were using this fvckin "ECO"?

We would have been double fvcked

not to think that these our neighbours are still tied to the apron strings of France by choice

You really think France will not use back door to influence policy decisions (these countries are ever ready to please France)
with that happening don't you know we are screwed ?

The dynamics are not just right

economic union is good

promoting trade is good

but evetinr should keep there currencies

NAFTA volume of trade is massive

but then

the U.S. Canada and Mexico still kedps their currencies

the NAFTA model will suit ECOWAS better than this experiment

Lol. I get your point. I think if we continue to present our opposing views on the adoption of ECO, the conversation will be endless. Needless to say, it was a great exchange!

Like I mentioned earlier (can’t recall if it was in a conversation with you), it has its merits and demerits. Let’s see what happens in the future!
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Benekruku(m): 11:55pm On Jul 02, 2019
Cadec007:
sad the rest of Africa don't share the same vision.. Or perhaps they do but conflict is a barrier... Case study North Africa....

Africa is presently blind!

Trust me, the front runners are void and look inwards. The west are smart enough to have taken the most dogged man that was ready to front on this course.

Africa is a sleeping giant! A continent blessed with ALL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Cadec007(m): 11:58pm On Jul 02, 2019
Benekruku:

Africa is presently blind!

Trust me, the front runners are void and look inwards. The west are smart enough to have taken the most dogged man that was ready to front on this course.

Africa is a sleeping giant! A continent blessed with ALL

True
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by JDLY: 1:57am On Jul 03, 2019
DOA, all is mouth action. No improved policy towards each countries economy, they are busy with regional currency.
Guess they will be using the ECO to trade imported goods within the region.
Brain-dead leaders.
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by chronnister(m): 2:06am On Jul 03, 2019
This is a bad thing for Nigeria, we will end up subsidising most of the poor West African countries and its not like our ruining is that great. It just has potential to be great

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by IAmTobore(m): 2:07am On Jul 03, 2019
Samchelsea:
And the Nigerian president agreed to all those critea listed?....something he hasn't achieved in 4years, he wants to achieve in 6months? How?....we wait and watch.
(Replying to your picture) Ignorance is truly a disease. I don't know what else to say.
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by walezy85: 3:48am On Jul 03, 2019
Nonsense if only they knew that fiat is fading away & cryptocurrency is taken over
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by ddeola: 6:41am On Jul 03, 2019
Copy copy no go kill Africans
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 03, 2019
Okoroawusa:

I think it will benefit Nigeria the more because majority of its users would be Nigerians n most goods bought with it would be Nigerian goods or goods brought into the region by Nigerians.

My question is-- how or why did France allow this to happen?
So those Franco countries still depend on France?
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 03, 2019
Kkshanana90:

Lol. I get your point. I think if we continue to present our opposing views on the adoption of ECO, the conversation will be endless. Needless to say, it was a great exchange!

Like I mentioned earlier (can’t recall if it was in a conversation with you), it has its merits and demerits. Let’s see what happens in the future!
Can you please state the merits and demerits?
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Fizoperuzi(m): 8:59am On Jul 03, 2019
post=79880676:
Nigeria, whose oil-dependent economy accounts for two-thirds of the region's GDP, would likely dominate a future monetary zone and has so far been sceptical about its benefits.

Economists compare the "Nigeria factor" to Germany's dominance in the eurozone, questioning whether sometimes disparate economies with varying levels of debt and deficits can successfully share the same currency.

The multi-year eurozone debt crisis, was proof that single currencies -- when badly implemented -- can have a catastrophic economic impact.

West African single currency should not necessarily be the top priority.

[color=#006600][/color] view on this : You should first improve the implementation of existing ECOWAS trading agreements, then improve the physical infrastructure,
The third more pressing issue would be the ability to trade in every country's native currency, without using a third currency like euro or dollars.

Smh!
Anyways, you have been noticed!!
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Samchelsea(m): 10:36am On Jul 03, 2019
IAmTobore:
(Replying to your picture) Ignorance is truly a disease. I don't know what else to say.
park well
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Okoroawusa: 10:37am On Jul 03, 2019
asuustrike1:

So those Franco countries still depend on France?
Greatly

from banking system to currency to aids n loans.All francophone countries much have a substantial of their foreign reserve domiciled in France Central Bank,CFA is printed in France by the French Central Bank for their francophone colonies n in any francophone country,French companies r given preference of first refusal.That means that u can only award a contract to a non-french company if there is no French company interested in undertaking that contract.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by blank(f): 11:58am On Jul 03, 2019
martineverest:
eco has been existing since Obasanjo era....

Do you have an idea what happened to the WAUA? That's the one I know that has been in existence since Obasanjo's time.
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by bikerboy1(m): 8:15am On Jul 04, 2019
FrMbaka:

Him dey do copy and paste,

Sometimes I google his comment and found it elsewhere exactly

Really....

You guys are something else. SMH
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 04, 2019
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by Horus(m): 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr0A7db1xGQ

ECOWAS to launch regional currency, ECO in 2020

The launch of the operational phase of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) is expected later this week, while the 15 ECOWAS countries, adopted ‘ECO’ as the name of the region’s planned shared currency, and agreed for a flexible currency regime towards improving integration and trade in the region.
Re: ECOWAS Adopts ECO As A Single Currency by datigbogirl: 3:02pm On Jul 05, 2019
Offpoint:

grin Afro na hairstyle naw, dem for call am Afric.
Eco ko Eco bank nigrin

cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wike Places Children Of Kenneth Eze Elemele On Scholarship / FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit / Obi Cubana Spends Second Day With EFCC, Passport Seized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.