Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,488 members, 7,812,516 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? (24291 Views)

AFCON 2019: Who Are Your Top 3 Super Eagles Players So Far? / Seychelles Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2019 Qualifier - 0 - 3 (Full Time) / Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Eziokwugbaoto: 11:07am On Jul 04, 2019
oluwatobi75:

Guy dem suppose employ you ooo
grin I've been following them from the start and I came to realise that the man has no plan B and it was just a matter of time before a serious team punishes them and Madagascar proved me right. Imagine Madagascar? Who is Madagascar on the world football map? Anybody that sees the scoreline will think they totally outplayed us but it was because our attack was blunt and they needed it more than us.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:09am On Jul 04, 2019
bakynes:
If we do knockout Cameroon which is most likely,Egypt will be next and if we dont beat them convincingly, VAR,the referees will knock us out knowing how the North Africans will threaten the officials and intimedate our players.
u are playing victim card here if you good enough you beat anybody but this present eagles with Rohr can't match salah Egypt...
Senegal vs Egypt for final...

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:10am On Jul 04, 2019
goshen26:

And what made you think Egypt will win SA for sure?
SA dat couldn't beat Morocco...ll beat Egypt ...with who Percy tau...hmm
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:12am On Jul 04, 2019
dominique:

Didn't we defeat them this year? Friendly or not, it's on record that the Super Eagles of Nigeria defeated The Pharaohs of Egypt this year.
who played for Egypt then...shebi we beat Argentina 4:2 in friendly what happened in Real world cup match...
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:16am On Jul 04, 2019
Vabasi:

You've marked it what about the correction?
Check our post on the 1st page!

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Hak24(m): 11:48am On Jul 04, 2019
Eziokwugbaoto:
Saturday and Monday na bomb ooo.
Letter to Oga Gernot Rohr
Oga Gernot Rohr greetings from a concerned fan in Nigeria. And kudos to you and your boys for getting to this stage in the ongoing AFCON but I must tell you that the scoreline so far has not been impressive and try and do something about that blunt attack ASAP. I personally think you should try playing 3-5-2. Make Omeruo the heart of the defence with Troost by his right and Leon on the left. Play Ola Aina on that left wing he can come forward to support the attack and can equally fall back to help the defenders he did well playing that formation with Torino. Ndidi as the DM and Etebo as the CM slightly in front of him. Iwobi should play as the AM let's see if he can redeem himself in that position. Deploy Onyekuru and Osimhen in the attack let's see what those guys will be able to bring to the table 'cos the Cameroonians will be training on how to neutralize Musa and Ighalo begin with guys they don't know their pattern of play and get them confused from the 1st minute maybe in the 2nd half withdraw Onyekuru and bring in Ahmed Musa to further run them down 'cos he has the speed and maybe towards the 60 mins mark throw in Ighalo and I tell you he will try to prove a point by trying to score a goal and the defenders might not be able to contain him. Wish you the best of luck.

From a concerned fan.
Modified: I know some people are wondering why I didn't include Chukwueze. I'd prefer Moses Simon to operate from that right wing instead reason being that Chukwueze is very attacking minded and can't come back to help the defenders when the need arises. Don't get it twisted Chukwueze is a fantastic player. I admire his courage to take on anybody no matter who you are, dribble you and take you on the run but it doesn't end there give a decisive pass that will bring a goal or better still take the shot yourself this is a knockout match and mistakes won't be condoned by football loving Nigerians. I'd rather suggest he's thrown in from 80mins downwards and then the formation changed to 4-4-2 depending on the current result at the time.
i like this...u are right
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Swanzi(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2019
Nigeria’s main problem is that they are missing 3key players who were influential in thier wc qualification and pre-wc success..
1.Victor Moses (retired)
2. Kelechi iheanacho(out of form)
3.mikel obi (out of form)

Until worthy replacements are found for these then nigeria will struggle as usual.

My take from an honest Ghanaian cool

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Eziokwugbaoto: 11:51am On Jul 04, 2019
Hak24:
i like this...u are right
My humble opinion tho. We watch the game to analyse.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by babslepe: 12:09pm On Jul 04, 2019
Eziokwugbaoto:
Oga Gernot Rohr greetings from a concerned fan in Nigeria. And kudos to you and your boys for getting to this stage in the ongoing AFCON but I must tell you that the scoreline so far has not been impressive and try and do something about that blunt attack ASAP. I personally think you should try playing 3-5-2. Make Omeruo the heart of the defence with Troost by his right and Leon on the left. Play Ola Aina on that left wing he can come forward to support the attack and can equally fall back to help the defenders he did well playing that formation with Torino. Ndidi as the DM and Etebo as the CM slightly in front of him. Iwobi should play as the AM let's see if he can redeem himself in that position. Deploy Onyekuru and Osimhen in the attack let's see what those guys will be able to bring to the table 'cos the Cameroonians will be training on how to neutralize Musa and Ighalo begin with guys they don't know their pattern of play and get them confused from the 1st minute maybe in the 2nd half withdraw Onyekuru and bring in Ahmed Musa to further run them down 'cos he has the speed and maybe towards the 60 mins mark throw in Ighalo and I tell you he will try to prove a point by trying to score a goal and the defenders might not be able to contain him. Wish you the best of luck.

From a concerned fan.
Modified: I know some people are wondering why I didn't include Chukwueze. I'd prefer Moses Simon to operate from that right wing instead reason being that Chukwueze is very attacking minded and can't come back to help the defenders when the need arises. Don't get it twisted Chukwueze is a fantastic player. I admire his courage to take on anybody no matter who you are, dribble you and take you on the run but it doesn't end there give a decisive pass that will bring a goal or better still take the shot yourself this is a knockout match and mistakes won't be condoned by football loving Nigerians. I'd rather suggest he's thrown in from 80mins downwards and then the formation changed to 4-4-2 depending on the current result at the time.
you can as well apply for his job rada rada
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by sparta191(m): 12:11pm On Jul 04, 2019
Eziokwugbaoto:

From a concerned fan.

Wahlai you been the play pes 2.
Love your analysis maybe Nigeria should try it out but am not sure, if anything will deter the epileptic football this boys will put on out there come july 6.
nice one though
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by bonnyhope: 12:17pm On Jul 04, 2019
Erediauwa:
Farewell Super Eagles, you won't be having the chance to progress to the VAR stage with this lackadaisical display at a major tourney.

BE PATRIOTIC GUY
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Eziokwugbaoto: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2019
sparta191:

Wahlai you been the play pes 2.
Love your analysis maybe Nigeria should try it out but am not sure, if anything will deter the epileptic football this boys will put on out there come july 6.
nice one though
cheesy Thanks. I watch the game analytically and not sentimentally bro. We have a good team it's just that our goal keeping dept. and attack is doing shaky shaky. Imagine 2 goals in 3 matches and 1 goal is even from a defender.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Eziokwugbaoto: 12:28pm On Jul 04, 2019
babslepe:
you can as well apply for his job rada rada
Abeg I no wan die b4 my time grin.Guy it's always easy while watching from home. if you enter there you go see pressure shock grin
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Treasure17(m): 12:45pm On Jul 04, 2019
Cameroon is also playing dodgy football in this tournament. We can go pass them with rational selection of players but I don't trust Rohr.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by chiipink(f): 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2019
Vabasi:
July 5: Uganda vs. Senegal in Cairo

July 5: Morocco vs. Benin in Cairo

July 6: Egypt vs. South Africa in Cairo

July 6: Nigeria vs. Cameroon in Alexandria

July 7: Madagascar vs. DR Congo in Alexandria

July 7: Algeria vs. Guinea in Cairo

July 8: Mali vs. Ivory Coast in Suez

July 8: Ghana vs. Tunisia in Ismailia

Those to progress to quarter final in bold.

Ivory Coast over Mali. Congo over Madagascar.
Others are correct
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Kate06(m): 1:21pm On Jul 04, 2019
peeps4u:

Oga, haven't your heard of best losers before?
SA, just like Benin and few others qualified to next stage on best losers tickets despite finishing third from their respective groups

OK...but this wasn't the case before now in ACN.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by peeps4u: 1:31pm On Jul 04, 2019
Kate06:

OK...but this wasn't the case before now in ACN.

LOL, one would think you were a sport enthusiast bro. Before now, we used to have just 4 group with two qualifiers from each group, but this year, there are 6 groups so we need 4 more teams as best losers to join the 12 teams who qualified as group winners & runners-up to make it 16 teams altogether for round of 16.

Hope u dig?
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by sheylarhh(m): 2:56pm On Jul 04, 2019
Vabasi:
July 5: Uganda vs. Senegal in Cairo

July 5: Morocco vs. Benin in Cairo

July 6: Egypt vs. South Africa in Cairo

July 6: Nigeria vs. Cameroon in Alexandria

July 7: Madagascar vs. DR Congo in Alexandria

July 7: Algeria vs. Guinea in Cairo

July 8: Mali vs. Ivory Coast in Suez

July 8: Ghana vs. Tunisia in Ismailia

Those to progress to quarter final in bold.
DR Congo 'll qualify over Madagascar
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by Kate06(m): 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2019
peeps4u:

LOL, one would thought you were sport enthusiast bro. Before now, we used to have just 4 group with two qualifiers from each group, but this year, there are 6 groups so we need 4 more teams as best losers to join the 12 teams who qualified as group winners & runners-up to make it 16 teams altogether for round of 16.

Hope u dig?

Oh oh...I see.

I use to know its 4 before but not putting the new rules in action...ACN is nothing to write home about... All players there are below average players.

Egypt has the best players so far.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by MrBONE2(m): 3:59pm On Jul 04, 2019
SQLmastar:
cool
Nothing for SE.
They'll be sent packing...just like the GOAT

Yeah Goats To be eaten by Mufasa and Simba Pride grin

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by GistFullGround: 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2019

WEST AFRICANS ARE TOO MUCH!

WEST AFRICA: 7 (Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Mali, Nigeria)

NORTH AFRICA: 5 (Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia)

SOUTHERN AFRICA: 1 (South Africa, Madagascar)

EAST AFRICA: 1 (Uganda)

CENTRAL AFRICA: 1 (Cameroon)

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by BluntBoy(m): 4:29pm On Jul 04, 2019
Obviously, we will beat Cameroon.

But except a miracle happens and South Africa beats Egypt, then we are very likely to meet Egypt in the Quarter Finals. Seeing how fanatical the North Africans can be when an event is holding on their tuft, it would be game over for Nigeria.

In summary, we can't win this AFCON.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by HabuD: 5:16pm On Jul 04, 2019
jhydebaba:
We go beat Cameroon again tongue

We know how to deal with defending champions.

Check the records.
Even if they MANAGE to win cameroun (I used the word manage o because we presently parade one of the most useless nigerian teams to go to an AFCON), how will they get past hosts Egypt who are currently on fire? Its better we receive small bashing from Cameroun and crash out than manage to win Cameroun and get overwhelmingly thrashed by Egypt! Sincerely, the only west african team that has impressed a bit is Mali, and maybe (maybe o) Senegal. Other west african teams have been scandalous. The most impressive teams so far (as i expected) have been from north africa- egypt (though they had an initial slow start), algeria and morocco (who have been fantastic), and tunisia. I see the winner of the AFCON from one of these north african nations, most likely egypt, algeria or morocco.
Every other team including nigeria have been playing thrash, primary school football. Please you guys shouldn't get too sentimental and put too much hope in nigeria, so you don't have sudden health issues because this nigerian team i am seeing here will lose scandalously either to cameroun or definitely Egypt.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by BluntBoy(m): 6:43pm On Jul 04, 2019
HabuD:

Even if they MANAGE to win cameroun (I used the word manage o because we presently parade one of the most useless nigerian teams to go to an AFCON), how will they get past hosts Egypt who are currently on fire? Its better we receive small bashing from Cameroun and crash out than manage to win Cameroun and get overwhelmingly thrashed by Egypt! Sincerely, the only west african team that has impressed a bit is Mali, and maybe (maybe o) Senegal. Other west african teams have been scandalous. The most impressive teams so far (as i expected) have been from north africa- egypt (though they had an initial slow start), algeria and morocco (who have been fantastic), and tunisia. I see the winner of the AFCON from one of these north african nations, most likely egypt, algeria or morocco.
Every other team including nigeria have been playing thrash, primary school football. Please you guys shouldn't get too sentimental and put too much hope in nigeria, so you don't have sudden health issues because this nigerian team i am seeing here will lose scandalously either to cameroun or definitely Egypt.

Which Egypt is on fire?

In case you don't know, even the Egyptian fans are not confident that their squad can beat South Africa on Saturday. That is how unimpressive Egypt has been in this competition. The only way Egypt will beat Nigeria is through crowd factor which would get the likes of Akpeyi even more jittery, and VAR.

As for Cameroon, we will beat them on Saturday. The only department where they are better than us is in the goalkeeping department. They have scored just as few goals as us and they have fired blank in two matches already. Nothing spectacular about them. Moreover, we play better when we face supposedly big boys like Cameroon. Cameroon are not even our rivals. As long as we are not meeting them in an AFCON final match (it is much harder for any team to beat Cameroon in a final match), Cameroon can never beat us.

The highest Cameroon would get against us is a draw in regulation time.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by HabuD: 7:03am On Jul 05, 2019
BluntBoy:

Which Egypt is on fire?

In case you don't know, even the Egyptian fans are not confident that their squad can beat South Africa on Saturday. That is how unimpressive Egypt has been in this competition. The only way Egypt will beat Nigeria is through crowd factor which would get the likes of Akpeyi even more jittery, and VAR.

As for Cameroon, we will beat them on Saturday. The only department where they are better than us is in the goalkeeping department. They have scored just as few goals as us and they have fired blank in two matches already. Nothing spectacular about them. Moreover, we play better when we face supposedly big boys like Cameroon. Cameroon are not even our rivals. As long as we are not meeting them in an AFCON final match (it is much harder for any team to beat Cameroon in a final match), Cameroon can never beat us.

lolz...ok na...let's watch and see. Just screenshot this post because i will remind you afterwards. We MIGHT MANAGE to beat cameroun (which is more unlikely) but even if we do, that's where our tournament ends!
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by HabuD: 7:09am On Jul 05, 2019
sheylarhh:

DR Congo 'll qualify over Madagascar
I completely agree with you. When a team wins a match, it's either they were very good OR they were bad but played against a team worse than themselves on that day. In the case of Madagascar, they were certainly not good. They only won because they played against teams that were worse than they were including Nigeria! If that same madagascar team had met teams like egypt or algeria or morocco on that same day they beat nigeria, they would have been thrashed so badly. That Nigeria's group was even about the cheapest in the tournament.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:55pm On Jul 05, 2019
arukwe123:
you think Benin will beat Morocco?
It is well!
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:55pm On Jul 05, 2019
arukwe123:
I am just surprised someone will pick Benin a team that couldn't squeeze a win though out group stage over Morroco that top their own group against the likes of South Africa and Ivorycoast
Again, it is well!

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:56pm On Jul 05, 2019
arukwe123:
Everyone knows that Ajax was on fire Last season so was Liecester when they won EPL. and I don't see Benin on any good form. They play crappy and can't even win small Bissau. I see Morocco winning easily.

Bye.
Finally, it is well o! wink
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by HabuD: 6:09pm On Jul 06, 2019
BluntBoy:

Which Egypt is on fire?

I hope you're watching the match and remember i asked you to snapshot my post, that this eagles would never go far! That its better they get beaten by cameroun now because this team will certainly be thrashed by egypt even if they manage to beat cameroun which will be unlikely. And to worsen matters, this is even like one of the most UNIMPRESSIVE cameroonian sides at an AFCON, yet see how well they are playing us. That shows how disastrous the nigerian team is! Like i said before this is the worst nigerian team at an AFCON. A bunch of amateurs with a useless coach. i said it the moment nigeria lost to a very useless argentina team at the world cup that this coach can never take us anywhere, but as usual, we nigerians love to get sentimental and celebrate mediocrity.
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by HabuD: 6:10pm On Jul 06, 2019
HabuD:

lolz...ok na...let's watch and see. Just screenshot this post because i will remind you afterwards. We MIGHT MANAGE to beat cameroun (which is more unlikely) but even if we do, that's where our tournament ends!
hope you're watching it now...lolz i dey laugh o!
Re: AFCON 2019: Who Faces Who In Round Of 16? by kayusely70(m): 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2019
Kenturkey048:
can you vouch for what you just said
How market we beat cameroon 3-2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Neymar Accused Of Rape By Woman He Reportedly Met Through Instagram / Alex Iwobi Rated Ahead Of Hazard, Ozil And Others In Europe / Messi ‘made Me Better Player’, Says Ronaldo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.