Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills (1022 Views)

Important Tips On How To Edit And Revise Your Essay Properly / How To Write A Strong Thesis Statement For Your Essay / Solutions To Solve Your Essay Writing Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2019
Most professors and lecturers will always want you to write a grade A content on every task. No pressure right? Well you’d be surprised to find out that writing regardless of the topic is sometimes intimidating even for the best students out there.

However, with the right skills, anyone including you can write an excellent essay. Here are some tips you can inculcate to improve your writing skills.

1. Start with the Basic Principles

The first essential step to becoming a better writer is to use the foundation that’s already there and to know the basic principles of writing. You can start with grasping the basics of spelling and grammar. Make sure you have a dictionary for checking words that you are not sure about their meaning or spellings and lookout for repetitive words that you like including in your essay. You can also use synonyms to substitute repeated words. This strategy will immensely improve your essay writing skills and help you learn new words quickly.

2. Start Practicing

Practice makes perfect and it applies to essay writing as well. The most effective way to become a better writer is to keep in mind that you cannot become an expert essay writer overnight. So be very patient with yourself and embrace the mistakes that you will be making along the way as they are part of the process of improving your writing skills.

3. Develop a Habit of Reading

In this regard, am not talking about reading texts or messages from chats but reading academic content related to your field of study. Expert writers are both keen readers and editors. When it comes to getting better at writing you have to be your own best critic. When reading pay full attention to sentences structure, the flow of the content and word choice; you also need to read diverse content so that you can be able to differentiate high quality texts from low quality texts.

4. Read Different Samples

Reading different experts essay samples will increase your chances of becoming a better writer pretty quickly. When you read samples of excellent essays, it will help you understand what is expected of you. Samples may also act as a form of inspiration for your next piece of writing. If you feel stuck or uncomfortable even after reading various samples, then you can also enroll in night class or workshop that specializes specifically on improving writing skills.

5. Make Use of the Five Ws and One H Questions

Most professional writers don’t consider written work to be excellent unless the five W’s and one H questions have been addressed. The five W’s and one H questions are: who, what, when, where, why and how. To become a good and better writer, your content should be able to answer the reader’s questions.

6. Stop Using Idioms and Clichés

Clichés are sometimes allowed in blog posts but when it comes to writing an essay or any other formal or direct academic assignments that meet academic standards, its best to avoid the use of such words. To improve your essay writing skills, you need to eliminate the need to include clichés in your content. Try and always make sure you write a straight to point essay, because it will not only help remove such phrases but also ensure that your content is free of fluff.

7. Use Reliable and Credible Source

To be a better essay writer, you must know the different citation styles and how to cite various sources. To avoid plagiarism, make sure you support your main points using references and paraphrase your work. The number one reason an essay can get rejected is due to plagiarism. You must always use proper format of reference style for your essay writing.

8. Proofread and Edit Your Work

Having grammar, typos and punctuation errors in your essay will reduce the credibility of your writing skills. A writing with too many mistakes will be difficult to understand. To read out any common errors, you can use grammar checking software then afterward, reread your paper. The common mistake most writers make is reading their papers straight away after completing it. Additionally, you need to take a fresh air by leaving it for few hours. You can also ask an editor to help you proofread and edit what you’ve written.

Becoming a better writer is not a day job, with the right tips and a habit of reading and practicing anyone including you can be an excellent writer.

Read more tips and updates by visiting https://educhive.com.ng

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Marinado: 1:28pm On Jul 06, 2019
VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC! THANK YOU grin

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 23, 2019
Marinado:
VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC! THANK YOU grin

You're welcome.
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 17, 2019
Learn more
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by passap: 9:24am On Apr 14, 2022
If you're looking for the best essay writing service online, you should look for proessaywriting reviews. While many of the writing services out there are highly-rated, some merely glorify their agencies or claim that they have the best writers. Fortunately, the writing industry is highly competitive, and there are plenty of excellent services. But how can you know which one is best? Let's take a look at some of the top services in this space and see which ones stand out.
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by JanettFlower: 2:38pm On Apr 14, 2022
I've been working on improving my writing skills for a long time. I have always wanted to learn how to write quality essays and help other students to do so. But so far I am working on it and buy assignment help helps me when difficulties arise. I hope that in the future I will learn how to write good essays that can be an example for other students.
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Holdrested77: 11:52am On May 03, 2022
Are you learning how to write essays and improving your writing skills then this article is for you. In case you want the professional services for your essay assignment then I recommend you to check for speedypaper review here on this website. This will be helpful for you in making a decision on which services are best suitable for you.
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Louisthomas(m): 10:42am On May 26, 2022
Hello everyone. Thanks for the helpful article. Everything is clearly laid out on the shelves. I especially liked the pro habit. Indeed, this is what really happens. Everything that you do with some frequency, it turns out many times better in the future. But I have a hard time getting them. Therefore, I usually use https://www.brillassignment.co.uk/ I feel so much better, sorry. Thanks again.
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by Monatyk(m): 8:20pm On May 31, 2022
Hello, if you need a quick and high-quality text, you can either write it yourself or hire professionals to complete your order. Personally, I prefer EssaySeek because they are the only ones who can complete orders in the manner that I require. I'm also pleased with their price and the speed with which they completed the order.
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by modiajay: 10:36am On Jul 25, 2022
The article looks at language as capital, with particular reference to the https://www.certsout.com/MCD-Level-1-test.html
Re: How To Improve Your Essay Writing Skills by kolpilo: 10:54am On Oct 03, 2023
When embarking on the challenging journey of the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, having a dependable partner is invaluable. "IB Helper: Your Partner in Academic Excellence" is more than a slogan; it's a commitment to your success. Click here to visit https://ibhelper.com/ for more exploration, At IB Helper, we understand the unique demands of IB students. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you every step of the way. Whether it's theory of knowledge essays, internal assessments, extended essays, or ToK exhibitions, we provide the guidance and assistance you need. We pride ourselves on delivering custom, plagiarism-free papers that meet the highest academic standards. With us as your partner, you can focus on mastering your subjects, knowing that your IB papers are in capable hands.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Bodybuilders Die? / Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria / How Do I Go About My Age Difference?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.