Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria (1044 Views)

Mmesoma's JAMB Result, Hypocrisy, And The Shadow Of Ethnic Bias / FUL VC, Olayemi Akinwunmi Accused Of Corruption In Awarding Doctorate Degrees / Lecturer Dismissed For Exposing Corruption In Yabatech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by lilliesboy(m): 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2019
This BIAS, particularly against postgraduate students coming from OTHER (African) universities and/or NON-Yoruba has been going on for MANY years in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. They only PRETEND about it. If you ask (postgraduate) students/graduates of the University of Ibadan that came from OTHER universities, many of them will confirm what I am telling you.

One major and popular thing they use in identifying and differentiating THEIR own University of Ibadan alumni/first degree holders from OUTSIDE or NON-University of Ibadan graduates is the MATRICULATION NUMBER: all THEIR Unibadan products carry Matric Numbers that begins with number "1," while OUTSIDERS or non-Unibadan (postgraduate) students carry Matric Numbers that begin with "2". Once lecturers/staff see a student's Matriculation Number that begins with "2," they QUICKLY hold a stupid BIAS against the student and begin to NEGATIVELY judge their intelligence/academic performance based on that.

Records have shown that many Nigerian postgraduate students who came from OTHER universities had OFTEN outshine their so-called ONLY "best/brilliant" University of Ibadan alumni/products academically and otherwise. Thus, many lecturers and non-academic staff feel insulted and threatened like they are not good lecturers since it invariably means so if their students are not better than those coming from other universities or NON-Yoruba ethnic group. To justify this, they OFTEN score non-Unibadan or OUTSIDE students very LOW in exams but give their (dull) students/alumni BETTER (unmerited) grades and advantage. They also complement this injustice and systemic corruption by ALWAYS talking DOWN on non-Unibadan graduates or making a caricature of them in comparison to their own (dull) students in order to DEMORALIZE them (OUTSIDE students/NON-Yoruba) by making them feel TIMID or like they do not know anything and never merited their (first) good degrees. This is clearly a form of PSYCHOLOGICAL warfare and should be punished if Nigeria was an advanced society with a high rule of law.

These systemic corruption and injustice are the MAIN reasons why so MANY (Yoruba) students in this part of the country, most of them DUNES, are awarded Ph.D, made professors, SAN etc., than the rest region of the country. It is because they are in CONTROL of the (educational) system, NOT because they are the most intelligent. I tell you, SO MANY of them with Ph.D. and Professorial degrees/tiles know very little or NOTHING compared to those in the Niger Delta and other areas. I and others who have lived here KNOW what we are talking about. Na DASH dem dey DASH many of dere pipul here wit dos (UNMERITED) degrees and awards.

Imagine "postgraduate" students who cannot speak neither write a simple good sentence; some of them in class even talk in YORUBA when presenting seminar paper since they cannot speak in simple English. Their papers are full of many grammatical blunders and misspellings; I and others even help them to edit their works. Yet, whenever results comes out these set of (Yoruba) students ALWAYS score HIGHER - 60% and above, than many of us who are NON-Yoruba and/or NON-University of Ibadan alumni. So much injustice, corruption and so-called tribalism here. Hypocrisy of the highest order!

I will NEVER relent concerning those poor seven (7) results! Let them do their usual gang up and manipulation to subvert justice and cover up their evil tracks; I will not relent. This matter may go very FAR if they do not do the right thing! Those are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be!
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by emmahoney(m): 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2019
These your allegations are not entirely true. However, I would say just one thing that is true.

I did my Masters in UI in 2019 and I also know many people who did theirs there without having their First Degree from there. Therefore, I know what is true and is not true in all that you said.

Truly, UI faculty members usually elate their students above students from other universities, you are very correct about that. On several occasions some of their Professors told us that we can to UI for our masters to redeem our image !! I think you said something similar to this.

Conversely, this has never made them to mark us down. We were all subjected to the same examination conditions. And at the end of our masters I was among the best 5 students. Guess what? No UI graduate made it to the best 5! The 6th position goes to a UI graduate. Among the best 5 are two of us from LAUTECH, a from FUTA, a lady from OAU and the 5th person is a guy from DELSU. In fact, he was the only person from SS.

In addition, yes some of them have poor written and spoken English. However, these set of people can be found in any university and it doesn't mean that they are not academically sound.

However, I could see that you are have some issues with your grades and that is why you wrote all these things. I am sorry about what you are passing through. There are better ways to solve whatever problems you might be passing through. But you must ensure that you have your facts so that you do not find yourself in a bigger problem.

Finally, UI remains one of the best universities to reckon with in Nigeria irrespective of its flaws. And ideal situation doesn't exist anywhere!

5 Likes

Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by jesmond3945: 8:50pm On Oct 24, 2019
emmahoney:
These your allegations are not entirely true. However, I would say just one thing that is true.

I did my Masters in UI in 2019 and I also know many people who did theirs there without having their First Degree from there. Therefore, I know what is true and is not true in all that you said.

Truly, UI faculty members usually elate their students above students from other universities, you are very correct about that. On several occasions some of their Professors told us that we can to UI for our masters to redeem our image !! I think you said something similar to this.

Conversely, this has never made them to mark us down. We were all subjected to the same examination conditions. And at the end of our masters I was among the best 5 students. Guess what? No UI graduate made it to the best 5! The 6th position goes to a UI graduate. Among the best 5 are two of us from LAUTECH, a from FUTA, a lady from OAU and the 5th person is a guy from DELSU. In fact, he was the only person from SS.

In addition, yes some of them have poor written and spoken English. However, these set of people can be found in any university and it doesn't mean that they are not academically sound.

However, I could see that you are have some issues with your grades and that is why you wrote all these things. I am sorry about what you are passing through. There are better ways to solve whatever problems you might be passing through. But you must ensure that you have your facts so that you do not find yourself in a bigger problem.

Finally, UI remains one of the best university to reckon with in Nigeria regardless of its flaws.
you just corroborated all he said and I believe you are yoruba.
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by emmahoney(m): 8:53pm On Oct 24, 2019
jesmond3945:
you just corroborated all he said and I believe you are yoruba.
I didn't corroborate all that he said. I only pointed out those that are true and debunked others. His major point is that graduates from other universities are usually marked down while UI graduates are usually being favoured with unmerited marks! Did I support that assertion?

I don't think my ethnic group is important in this discourse.

1 Like

Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by dejt4u(m): 10:29pm On Oct 24, 2019
Op, are you angry because of your marks in those courses or because a certain set of people did well which you think they don't deserve.?
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by lilliesboy(m): 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2019
Tell me why some fellow (postgraduate) students will be gossiping and CRITICIZING another student (BEHIND his back like COWARDS) for challenging some of his results. A student had the GUTS to challenge SEVEN (7) of his poor results taught by AT LEAST two (2) lecturers each - that is at least FOURTEEN (14) lecturers of the so-called ONLY "best" university with ONLY "best/brilliant" alumni; and instead of either encouraging him or keeping their mouths shut as cowards and DUNES who DEFINITELY "benefitted" from the injustice/so-called tribalism, they are saying rubbish BEHIND his back. Coincidentally, these are the DULL students who had UNMERITED "A's" and "B's". Are they AFRAID of something? Are their conscience haunting them?

Since you went to school, have you heard or seen a DULL student petitioning her/his results? For a student to petition his result, especially in a so-called "world renowned" university like the University of Ibadan, Nigeria, and SEVEN (7) courses for that matter (taken by at least 14 lecturers) then it should tell you (if at all you are reasonable) that the student TOTALLY believes in his ABILITY and KNOWS the injustice that took place. Mind you, I did NOT fail all the seven (7) petitioned courses; I scored at least "50%" in four (4) of them - grades that MANY (dull) students will be so HAPPY and CONTENDED to get. Yet, I am insisting that even those supposed pass/average "50%" grades are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be! Therefore, YOU and THEM should be the ones to be AFRAID of my petition because ONLY a dull and/or corrupt student (like yourself) will NOT challenge her/his poor results since you KNOW you are not capable of scoring better but to criticize and GOSSIP me and my likes BEHIND my back!

One of them - a female BUSYBODY Yoruba who knows little or nothing in class, tried to exchange words with me two days ago at the Department when I was discussing with another female and none of us had mentioned her name. Because she got many (UNMERITED) "60%" and above scores, she thought I was petitioning my SEVEN (7) results ONLY because of her out of OVER 25 (dull/Yoruba) students that had even better UNMERITED scores. She tried saying shit but I cautioned her and would have BEAT her properly and wait for whatever if not for intervention from others. Her BUSYBODY needs to be "treated" properly. She is already feeling GUILTY even when I did not mention her or anyone's name. These are the students who are afraid that if a proper, INDEPENDENT and UPRIGHT panel/body is to carry out a THOROUGH investigation of my petition by "digging out" and comparing scripts with mine, they WILL surely be EXPOSED! Or, tell me why a fellow student(s) will be taking things so PERSONAL when another student is petitioning his own results and not HERS/his or others and especially when HER/his name was NOT mentioned in my case?

Hmm. I smell a "rat" in this issue. Na BIG "rat" I dey smell 4dis mata. We shall SEE!

#Obebinaru Favour OBHUO (Friday, October 25, 2019)
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by dejt4u(m): 3:49pm On Oct 25, 2019
Your department and course of study please..?
Heard someone was denied a PhD grade in a department too because he wasn't a UI graduate
lilliesboy:
Tell me why some fellow (postgraduate) students will be gossiping and CRITICIZING another student (BEHIND his back like COWARDS) for challenging some of his results. A student had the GUTS to challenge SEVEN (7) of his poor results taught by AT LEAST two (2) lecturers each - that is at least FOURTEEN (14) lecturers of the so-called ONLY "best" university with ONLY "best/brilliant" alumni; and instead of either encouraging him or keeping their mouths shut as cowards and DUNES who DEFINITELY "benefitted" from the injustice/so-called tribalism, they are saying rubbish BEHIND his back. Coincidentally, these are the DULL students who had UNMERITED "A's" and "B's". Are they AFRAID of something? Are their conscience haunting them?

Since you went to school, have you heard or seen a DULL student petitioning her/his results? For a student to petition his result, especially in a so-called "world renowned" university like the University of Ibadan, Nigeria, and SEVEN (7) courses for that matter (taken by at least 14 lecturers) then it should tell you (if at all you are reasonable) that the student TOTALLY believes in his ABILITY and KNOWS the injustice that took place. Mind you, I did NOT fail all the seven (7) petitioned courses; I scored at least "50%" in four (4) of them - grades that MANY (dull) students will be so HAPPY and CONTENDED to get. Yet, I am insisting that even those supposed pass/average "50%" grades are NOT my real scores and can NEVER be! Therefore, YOU and THEM should be the ones to be AFRAID of my petition because ONLY a dull and/or corrupt student (like yourself) will NOT challenge her/his poor results since you KNOW you are not capable of scoring better but to criticize and GOSSIP me and my likes BEHIND my back!

One of them - a female BUSYBODY Yoruba who knows little or nothing in class, tried to exchange words with me two days ago at the Department when I was discussing with another female and none of us had mentioned her name. Because she got many (UNMERITED) "60%" and above scores, she thought I was petitioning my SEVEN (7) results ONLY because of her out of OVER 25 (dull/Yoruba) students that had even better UNMERITED scores. She tried saying shit but I cautioned her and would have BEAT her properly and wait for whatever if not for intervention from others. Her BUSYBODY needs to be "treated" properly. She is already feeling GUILTY even when I did not mention her or anyone's name. These are the students who are afraid that if a proper, INDEPENDENT and UPRIGHT panel/body is to carry out a THOROUGH investigation of my petition by "digging out" and comparing scripts with mine, they WILL surely be EXPOSED! Or, tell me why a fellow student(s) will be taking things so PERSONAL when another student is petitioning his own results and not HERS/his or others and especially when HER/his name was NOT mentioned in my case?

Hmm. I smell a "rat" in this issue. Na BIG "rat" I dey smell 4dis mata. We shall SEE!

#Obebinaru Favour OBHUO (Friday, October 25, 2019)
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by BAndrew: 7:05pm On Oct 28, 2019
dejt4u:
Your department and course of study please..?
Heard someone was denied a PhD grade in a department too because he wasn't a UI graduate
Obebinaru Favour OBHUO
Criminology
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by sammirano: 12:21am On Oct 29, 2019
emmahoney:

Finally, UI remains one of the best university to reckon with in Nigeria regardless of its flaws.

No mind the op, he is one of those lazy SE boys. If you know they know nothing in SW why come here? Stay in your village and do your masters program. Nonsense.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by lilliesboy(m): 9:51am On Oct 30, 2019
It is very SIMPLE to victimize a student or co-worker if you live in Nigeria and go free with very little or no suspicion at all. If she/HE is a student, all you have to do as the lecturer or staff is to fail her/HIM in MANY courses. If possible, team up with other lecturers/staff to fail her/HIM in ALL his courses - give them very low marks. I tell you, it will be seen as "possible" for a lecturer to fail a student in ONE or two courses, but very IMPOSSIBLE for the lecturer(s) to fail the student in four (4) or SEVEN (7) courses. EXCEPT the student in question is a FEMALE of course, in that case it will be very POSSIBLE that a lecturer(s) can victimize her in ALL her courses because she might have REFUSED to give him and others "three or more ROUNDS per day" like the OAU girl. But, it is very "IMPOSSIBLE" if the student is a MALE; in that case he is DULL or truly DESERVED the poor results.

If she/he is a co-worker, hide or destroy MANY of her/his documents. It is very "possible" for someone to hide or destroy ONE or two documents belonging to another, but very IMPOSSIBLE to hide or destroy four or SEVEN (7) documents belonging to another. Therefore, you need to understand the techniques in victimizing a student or co-worker in Nigeria (Africa) - victimize her/HIM in MANY many areas, not in one or two things. This will attract very little or NO suspicion at all. In fact, the victim will be the GUILTY one, not you. Now you know how it works.

Welcome to this side of the "DARK Continent" called Nigeria where even many so-called "educated" individuals, even so-called Professors reason like DONKEYS! But, such mode of low thinking and hypocrisy only further reveals how CORRUPT, BIASED and so-called TRIBALIZED the University system is. I tell you, the fight has just begun!

# Obebinaru F. Obhuo (Wednesday, October 30, 2019)
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by lilliesboy(m): 9:53am On Oct 30, 2019
sammirano:

No mind the op, he is one of those lazy SE boys. If you know they know nothing in SW why come here? Stay in your village and do your masters program. Nonsense.
Another evidence of the unexposure of the average YORUBA baboon. EVERYONE not Yoruba must be from South East (Igbo) or Hausa. See as ur mumu don ripe.
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by sammirano: 12:21pm On Oct 30, 2019
lilliesboy:

Another evidence of the unexposure of the average YORUBA baboon. EVERYONE not Yoruba must be from South East (Igbo) or Hausa. See as ur mumu don ripe.

Idiot! You were not trabalistic when half of your post centre on yoruba. I just disgust you lot profiting from the yorubas and hating. Which kind of animalistic behavior is that?

2 Likes

Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by lilliesboy(m): 2:50am On Dec 09, 2019
sammirano:

Idiot! You were not trabalistic when half of your post centre on yoruba. I just disgust you lot profiting from the yorubas and hating. Which kind of animalistic behavior is that?
Virtually all Yoruba, including yourself, are IMBEC*LES, HYPOCRITES, and very DIRTY beings.
Re: Systemic Bias, Tribalism, And Corruption In The University Of Ibadan, Nigeria by kayusely70(m): 5:50am On Dec 09, 2019
You should sort out your problems with them without resorting to insults, tribalism and wild allegations.

(1) (Reply)

Please, Who Can Assist With The Solution To This Physics / Maths Problem / Ondo Varsity Expels Student, Returns Fees As Mother Attacks Founder / Anambra School Kid Builds Voice Command Controlled Robot.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.