Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. (1059 Views)

2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. / Keyamo, An Embarrassment To The Legal Profession - Atiku Campaign / Britain & Bindmans Seek Nnamdi Kanu’s Consent To Take Over Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by Goldenonyx: 5:53am On Jul 07, 2019
Hello Nairalanders, i was in a heated argument today concerning the age of sexual consent in Nigeria.

I always thought the legal age to be involved in any form of sexual intimacy was 18 until someone said Nigeria actually has the lowest age of consent in the world at 11..

When we decided to seek the help of Ifa (google), we got conflicting results. Some said 11, some said 18.

Please my fellow Nairalanders what does the constitution of Nigeria say about this?

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by Tocynone(m): 6:02am On Jul 07, 2019
For south, its 18. But for North?
I don't know

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by Kingkun69(m): 6:48am On Jul 07, 2019
You know the north has their own thing just know
north --->11
Everywhere else --->18

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by Kingpee2(m): 6:51am On Jul 07, 2019
And for paedophiles ,they have no age restrictions because of their natural stupidity..

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by ivandragon: 7:05am On Jul 07, 2019
Age of consent in Nigeria is presently 11 years old.

There was a bill in the NAss to bring it up to 18, but some members wanted it at 13... (I think they finally passed it for 18), but since then, nothing more has been heard...

So the existing law stipulates 11...

1 Like

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by babyfaceafrica: 7:11am On Jul 07, 2019
it should be 18 but I doubt if it is in the constitution... some governors and national assembly members in the north had wife below 18 and no prosecution.. so I doubt if it is 18

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by tuniski: 7:11am On Jul 07, 2019
In the conservative north, it is the onset of first pubic blood (menstrual) whatever age Is immaterial.

Constitutionally, 18yrs. However many cultural exceptions are found in the south too where under 18 are validly allow to consent to Sex.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by Rolings: 7:20am On Jul 07, 2019
The Legal age is 18, according to the constitution.
But for cultural and religious reasons, most societies accept lower ages.
Among conservative Muslims (north and south) it's at the onset of menstruation, some belief a girl should not be at her father's house by her third menstrual cycle...
Among non Muslims (north and south) it's around 15-16 years
Re: What Is The Legal Age Of Sexual Consent In Nigeria. by IITTA50: 9:24am On Jul 07, 2019
Nigeria is with the world's lowest age of consent at 11.

(1) (Reply)

Watch El-zakzaky's Daughter Speak So Boldly And Fearlessly To The Government / See Thirteen Years Old Former Governor Of CBN, Sanusi Lamido (picture) / PWD Bus Stop In ikeja Is Bloody !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.