Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

My Story, A Tale Of Redemption. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Story, A Tale Of Redemption. (338 Views)

The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / A Tale Of Two Lovebirds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Story, A Tale Of Redemption. by ankaurspeaks(m): 9:27pm On Jul 09, 2019
Growing up in Balogun, a popular area in the heart of Lagos Island, Lagos state, engulf so many memories.

One of such was when I fruitfully maximized a part of numerous advantages enclosed. It was a lifetime learning experience and I won't be fair enough if I don't share it with the world.

The story about to be told was a tale when challenges sprout out of nowhere to obstruct a livelihood that was newly secured. It's one of the most pathetic moments for a young lad who tries to build a career.

It all started when I got an offer to work on contract as a biometric enrollment staff in an Access bank branch located at Lagos island.

On resumption, I met with the branch head to show a copy of the appointment letter gotten from the bank's licensed recruiting firm. Hereinafter, a short questioning section.

There are a few conversations before these below, but this is the part that is useful for this story.

Branch Manager: Where do you reside?

Me: My abode is a stone throw from here.

Branch Manager: Oh! That's nice. Did you relocate to this area because of the job?

Me: No sir; I was born and bred in Balogun, Lagos Island.

He looks flabbergasted as he turned to his assistant and ask, did you hear him?

In Surprisal, the assistant stood up and began to take photographs of me. This time, I wasn't too comfortable with what was going on. I thought perhaps, a former staff that resides in this location had done terrible things in the past (some Lagos islanders can be so terrible at times).

While still meditating, the Branch Manager said, I am surprised to have seen someone who grew up around here appear so calm and responsible. Anyway, congratulations and welcome to Access bank. I hope your performance will be convincing enough.

After all the paparazzi, I was introduced to other staffs of the branch. In the process, I underwent portal registration for new staffs as well as basic training on how to enroll a customer for biometric.

All through the working hours, I was able to register eleven customers and my heart was filled with gladness. I forwarded the treated customer's forms to the branch manager for authorization, but I was dismayed by his response.

With a face filled with anger, he said, " it seems you are not ready for work. You are expected to enroll a hundred customers in a day." As I was about to speak, he interrupted me, and said, go back to your table, write your resignation letter and bring it here". I was shocked.

As I walk off his table, I was overwhelmed with sadness and the fear of losing the job some hours into it. I began to ponder on what next.

Suddenly, the thought of who to seek advice from came to mind. The chief security officer (CSO) was the oldest in the branch, so I decided to approach him for guidance.

While having conversations with him, he said, "my brother, you are the fifth staff posted to this branch for biometric enrollment; you must buckle up if you wish to retain the job". Amongst other advice, he insists on me to contact my colleagues in other branches for guidance.

As I reflect over the CSO's advice, I remembered the story of Julaybeeb, a man who in the midst of utmost rejection showed maximum courage to fight for genuine acceptance.

A few minutes later, I mustered the courage, and walk up to the branch head to apologize for the low performance. I then used the medium to seek permission to understudy a biometric staff from another branch.

He looked straight into my eyes, kept quiet for a few seconds before he granted my request. I decided to choose a branch situated in the market environment, just as mine. The idea is to learn in details what the biometric staff in a similar market branch was doing right.

I visited the other branch and I met with a young smart lady. I told her my story and she was willing to assist. We had a long conversation on possible ways to meet the required targets and scopes to relate with the bosses.

Most importantly, she advises me to penetrate the markets around me. She was confident there are lots of market men and women who are yet to register for biometric.

While on the way to my branch, I began to contemplate on how to make use of what was learned. Then, a solution came through my mind. My mother sells in a closeby market, aside from that, she is also a member of the market committee. So I already had what to leverage on.

I got to the branch and gave the branch manager feedback of what was learned. Then, I requested to allow me to go into the market to fetch for unregistered customers. But he declined for reason best known to him.

I had to convince him of some facts. I explained that, aside from growing up in this locality, my mother sells in the Oke-Arin market. And I said with assurance, "I will convince market men and women to open accounts in this branch, and as well enroll multitude for biometric verification."

I felt he needed me to do that, he granted the request immediately after the assurance. But he warned me to be careful with my dealings. As I was about leaving, he reminded me that securing my job hangs on how better I perform.

The following day, I set out like a starving blue shark, dived into the nooks and crannies of the market to exhume unregistered customers for biometrics.

Though, I knew it will be very challenging for an individual like me who wasn't trained on marketing. But when challenges came calling, the brain works extraordinarily perfect. I braced up to secure my job and as well, a livelihood.

Few weeks into the new challenge was so hectic. Despite the leverage, I couldn't enroll beyond the previous. All the effort infused was to no avail. They all kept saying the same thing in their local dialect.

BI FI N? E WO TUNI BI FI N? AWON ARA BANK PELU ARA OTUN. EMI O SHEE OOO. Meaning, "BVN? which one is BVN? Bankers with different innovations. I'm not interested.

The branch head was on me to raise the bar or resign. My boldness began to fade off as I got lost in deep thought.

Then, here comes a night when I made a decision to quit. I prepared a resignation letter to be handed over the next morning.

Eager to know what happen next, click the link below � http:///2S8fzX1

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Observation / Turning Table (A 6-word Tale) / Proofread And Improve Your Writing In English And Spanish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.