Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,465 members, 7,812,425 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] (1398 Views)

Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] / The Polytechnic Ibadan ND DPP Form For 2018 /19 Academic Session / The Polytechnic Ibadan 2018/2019 OND And HND Admission Processing Thread Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:18pm On Jul 11, 2019
The Management of The Polytechnic, Ibadan on Wednesday destroyed no fewer than one thousand mobile telephones worth over fifteen million naira (N150 million).

DAILY POST gathered that the mobile phones were seized from students during various examinations conducted in the institution in the last one year. The phones were seized and subsequently burnt in order to reduce examination malpractices through the use of information and communication technology.

The burning of the items was supervised by a senior lecturer and the immediate past Deputy Rector of the Institution, Mr. Bayo Oyeleke.

Others at the event were; Deputy Registrar of the school, Mrs Ayoade, the Public Relations Officer, Alhaji Soladoye Adewole, Chief Security Officer, Head of Legal Unit, Ibadan, Barrister Ige Akinsola and President of the Student Union Government, Akadiri Bayonle.

Oyeleke, in his address, stated that the school authority usually warned students against taking mobile telephones to examination halls, but it was surprised that some students do not yield to the warning.

He said, “However, some students still go into the exam hall with their mobile phones which is against the rules and regulations of the institution.”

Oyeleke insisted that the action of burning the mobile telephones after they were seized was carried out in order to serve as deterrent to students of the institution who wish to further indulge in the illegal and inappropriate act.

Adewole, on his part, told DAILY POST that the management decided to burn the mobile telephones so that they will not get into wrong hands.

The PRO, while confirming the burning of the mobile telephones to our correspondent on Thursday, said, “Up to 1,000 mobile telephones seized in the last one year were burnt. They were seized during examinations in the last one year.

“But, it will not be alright if we return them to the owners because we want to ensure sanctity of our examinations in the school. The management decided to burn the mobile telephones, it will be inappropriate if we say that we will return them, they may fall into wrong hands.

“We have been warning students not to take phones into examination halls. Any student that attempted to cheat using modern technology like phones will have the phone seized.

“We want cheating through the use of technology to stop. The exercise was attended by lecturers, students leaders were there and even members of the press council of the institution were also there.”

SOURCE; https://dailypost.ng/2019/07/11/polytechnic-ibadan-destroys-1000-phones-students-gives-reason-photos/

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by hakanai(m): 12:21pm On Jul 11, 2019
Why do I suspect foul play,the phones seem fewer than reported.... angry angry angry

That doesn't look like 1000 phones neither do i see costly brands worth over 60k shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided

3 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by Tolexander: 1:06pm On Jul 11, 2019
Nonsense

We can not produce, yet we are destroying!

This is a university having engineering department which is meant to train students on the production and repair of these devices.
Why can’t they keep them in their laboratories or workshops for the electrical engineering students to work with, understand the principles and bring up ideas on how to manufacture one.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 11, 2019
Tolexander:
Nonsense

We can not produce, yet we are destroying!

This is a university having engineering department which is meant to train students on the production and repair of these devices.
Why can’t they keep them in their laboratories or workshops for the electrical engineering students to work with, understand the principles and bring up ideas on how to manufacture one.

1. In fairness to the students, they were warned repeatedly not to bring their phones to the exam hall....and they disobeyed repeatedly. That's not right.

2.Plus, I would rather not have an engineer or graduate practicing, who cheated his way to graduation. No thanks.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 11, 2019
This is Nonsense angry

Wastage of resources!

Flawed sense of judgement!

Actions like this in one way or the other affect the economy and general welfare. Man, that was some millions of naira wasted shocked

Exam malpractise is wrong; and so is unjustified destruction of resources. They should have punished a different way.

Sending them out of the exam hall is better than this. This is bullshit!

Nigeria; fvcked up country! A lot of things going wrong. So worse to the extent that this action that should be associated with barbarism and illiteracy was performed in an academic setting.

In fact, I dey vex angry Seriously await the coming Emperor Imes, I am tired of all these angry

Nonsense and MyVillagePeople angry

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by Olorunnim: 2:28pm On Jul 11, 2019
This action is not one that should be carried out by an institution of learning, there are other ways to carry out disciplinary actions, Burning of phones is going to portray the school in a bad light, it's dangerous to the environment, they could be used for practicals in technical classes.

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by pek(m): 2:32pm On Jul 11, 2019
valentineuwakwe:

The Management of The Polytechnic, Ibadan on Wednesday destroyed no fewer than one thousand mobile telephones worth over fifteen million naira (N150 million).

#150 million is not the same as fifteen million naira. Which do you want us to believe? Or you don't know how to write fifteen million naira in digits?
Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by ArturW90: 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2019
Wow, this is funny and said at the same time. I think that students tried to use college application essay writing from https://au.edubirdie.com/college-application-essay-writing during exams. I can't give my opinion on that because I used a similar service for my diploma. I do not regret at all.
Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by Pepperoniq(m): 3:04pm On Jul 11, 2019
Stories..
I trust my school then,...
Area boys go scatter ground give them sand to chop.
What is students Union Executive, Senior Lecturer and Press men doing in a scene like that without Security operatives
Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by Amuocha: 3:26pm On Jul 11, 2019
APC government sef angry angry angry
Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:51pm On Jul 11, 2019
OladimejiRufai:
This is Nonsense angry

Wastage of resources!

Flawed sense of judgement!

Actions like this in one way or the other affect the economy and general welfare. Man, that was some millions of naira wasted shocked

Exam malpractise is wrong; and so is unjustified destruction of resources. They should have punished a different way.

Sending them out of the exam hall is better than this. This is bullshit!

Nigeria; fvcked up country! A lot of things going wrong. So worse to the extent that this action that should be associated with barbarism and illiteracy was performed in an academic setting.

In fact, I dey vex angry Seriously await the coming Emperor Imes, I am tired of all these angry

Nonsense and MyVillagePeople angry

angry why this one mention me now
Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:53pm On Jul 11, 2019
I totally blame Buhari for this. Buhari wants the southern youths to be dull like those up north, so they won't reason very well. That's why the authority of that university are all yelobam moozelems angry
Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by EbukaHades10(m): 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2019
pek:
#150 million is not the same as fifteen million naira. Which do you want us to believe? Or you don't know how to write fifteen million naira in digits?
U kill am o

Re: Polytechnic Ibadan Destroys Over 1,000 Phones Of Students; Gives Reason [PHOTOS] by LetaTaylor: 1:53pm On Nov 18, 2019
It seems to me too radical.

(1) (Reply)

School Resumption: List Of State Resuming Today(monday 21st Of September 2020) / Nigerian Jobs Aptitude Tests Past Questions & Answers Pdf Download / My Father Is Rich But I'm Broke, FUK 400 Level Student Commit Suicide (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.