Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

21 Days In Prison - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 21 Days In Prison (494 Views)

My 21 Days NYSC Experience Serving In Yobe State. / 21 Days In Okada, Edo State / A Nairalander CDS Group Prison's and School Visitation In Kontagora, Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

21 Days In Prison by HonSTONE(m): 9:13pm On Jul 11, 2019
21 DAYS IN PRISON

I went to my dashboard on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) portal hoping to be posted to Akwa Ibom but to my greatest surprise, I saw Kebbi State.

'Kebbi state?!!!'
'I don't want to return to the north. I've lived there almost all my life. I want to explore other states.' I explained to the woman next door.

I went online and searched about the state.
'They have nothing. No reputable construction company, just rivers and farmlands.'

I was to leave the ancient city of Benin to a more ancient city.

Then I got a call from my friend and she told me she was also posted to Kebbi state. All of a sudden my sad mood changed. I felt happy. At least I won't be alone in 'hell.' I'd have someone to talk to.

I got ready and left Benin as early as possible. It took me about 14 hours to get to kano. I slept in Kano state and continued my journey the next day to Kebbi. It was a 9 hours trip. A total of 23 hours trip from Benin to Dakingari NYSC orientation camp in Kebbi state (My Prison).

I got in and did my registration. Others immediately changed to their white uniform and went to the parade ground while I went to the 'mammy' market to rest.

Later that day, I met with Faith Omokaro Osamuyimen. I was excited to see her.

The journey began. Every morning at 05:00, the army blew the bugle and we were expected to be at the parade ground for meditation. The Nigerian flag was raised at 06:00 and lowered at 18:00.

I joined the Orientation Broadcasting Service (OBS) because I wanted to use my skills in camp. I contested for my platoon leadership position but lost.
Camp was filled with numerous activities ranging from Early morning jog, parade, lectures, breakfast, lectures, SAED classes, lunch, parade, sports, dinner, socials and light out at 22:30. It was fun for some and horrible for others.

Here are some of my memorable experiences.

Most Amazing Experience:
I really enjoyed myself with the OBS family. We argued, we played, we wrote news and announcement, we arranged the stage and made sure everything was in order. I was more into OBS activities than my platoon activities. I met a family at OBS. Different people from different race coming together to form a team of crazy folks. I will definitely miss OBS.

Another amazing experience was the little moments I shared with Faith Omokaro. She was my companion in camp. If I wasn't with OBS, I was with Faith. She made my camp experience colourful.

Most Annoying Experience:
Just because I don't get angry easily, my roommates decided to use that against me. We were 42 persons in the room and anytime I saved a bucket of water in the evening, I woke up the next morning either to look for my water or the bucket. They keep using it without replacing. It was really annoying.
The afternoon parades.
I hate this. There's no much work at the OBS office during the afternoon parades, so we had to join our colleagues. Under the sun, I would stand for hours marching. My skin went darker because of the intense heat of the sun. Some corp members fainted during the parade. Some cried. The crazy thing is that time always move slowly during this period.

Our lives were controlled by the army. They decided our movement and when we eat. There was no time to rest.

Skills Learnt:
If you want the 21 days to be boring, it will be. But if you want it to fun and enjoyable, it will. The decision is yours to make.
During the 21 days, I made a decision to learn and meet new people. That, I achieved.

I was in OBS, I learnt how to set up the speakers and operate the mixer. I settled conflict among people developing my conflict resolution skills. Time management was another useful skills. Waking up early, living with different people, learning how to march and salute in the military way. All these are skills I learnt.

Most Enjoyable Activity:
Catching the train. Parading under the sun. Getting food from the kitchen.
Social nights. Lectures. SAED classes.

Of all the activities, I enjoyed the social night more. This was the only period I had to relax and watch other corp members display their talents.

Yes, my movement was restricted for 21 days. I was away from civilization. I was in prison but I made good use of my time.
Sometimes what we need is not what we have and what we have is not what we need. All we need to do is use what we have to get what we need.

I was wrong about Kebbi state. Birnin Kebbi, the state capital has good road network, constant power supply, cheap accommodation and low cost of living. Kebbi is the land of equity and I'm here to stay and explore more.

Always remember that your success in life is directly proportional to your smart work.

This is my story.
This is my prison break.
Now I'm free.

#NYSC
#Batch_B
#Stream_1
#Kebbi_State
#Dakingari

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21 Days In Prison by Febus: 11:45am On Jul 12, 2019
Wow

Bro please I need your number
Am a pcm with stream 2
Re: 21 Days In Prison by Febus: 11:48am On Jul 12, 2019
Want to know more about kebbi too

I picked kebbi too

(1) (Reply)

Nysc Batch C 2019 Online Registration & Revalidation @obada / Corpers Posted To Ikeja Lagos State In Search Of House / Convert Your HND To A Bachelor Degree In 1 Year! Step Up With A British Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.