Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,517 members, 7,823,218 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

How To Set Up A Bakery Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Set Up A Bakery Business (2194 Views)

Is 5 Million Enough To Start A Bakery In Lagos? / TECNO Mobile To Set Up Assembly Plant In Nigeria / How To Start A Bread Bakery Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 10:40am On Jul 12, 2019
You are reading this post because you are probably considering going into the bakery industry and interested in knowing more about the bakery market. Ideas sell in Nigeria and with the right information, you can be sure to be among the top people in whichever area you have decided to invest in.

It is no hidden fact that the bakery business is one of the most lucrative businesses anyone can get into in Nigeria. It is easy to see why a lot of bakeries have emerged in the country over the past 10 years. While some people have made it big time in the industry, some others still find it difficult to find and stamp their feet in the market.

The demand for baked products will always be on the rise, so is the need for more bakeries. Bread, cakes, and other bakery-related foods/snacks are rated among the most in demand in the market.

Don’t get this wrong, you can start a mini bakery for with a low as a hundred thousand naira or even lower, but be sure it might not go beyond the name and level – mini. You will need a minimum of N500, 000 – N700, 000 and as high as N6 million, depending on the size and scale you want, to start a proper and standard bakery in Nigeria.

STARTING A BAKERY BUSINESS: Step by Step

Let us now take a look at the processes involved and the estimated price of starting a proper and standard bakery in Nigeria.

#1. Plan

This stage costs nothing but is often among the most important processes of all. This is where the work starts. As easy as this sounds, planning how you want your bakery to be, the size, the process, the means of getting the capital (if you don’t have already) and deciding on the kind of bakery you want can be really tasking. It involves a lot of things to consider including the location of your bakery and how you plan on running it when it eventually starts.

Do you want to starts as an online bakery where people just order online and you deliver without actually having a structure in that regards? Do you want to start a counter bakery where people come and purchase from the counter? This is a very important stage when starting a bakery, or in fact, most other businesses in Nigeria. You should also consider getting trained. Although this is not compulsory, given that you might not be the one in charge of the technical aspect of the business, it is sometimes necessary to have a basic idea of the operation and know how to go about it.

#2. Develop a Business Plan

This is the part you put your plans in a written form. Like most other business, a bakery business needs a well-written business plan. We will not dwell so much on this because the first part covers most details that should be involved in the business plan.

#3. Get Registered

You need to be registered with the national bakery association to be an official member of the association and register your bakery. Since you will also be dealing with what people will eat, you need to be registered with NAFDAC to avoid being disturbed by the federal government.

#4. Get Started

This is where the work begins. Since this is the part you start spending money, we will start the estimation from here. To make this process easier, we have estimated the necessary steps to take to set up your bakery.

#5. Secure a Good Location

If you have opted against online bakery, you need to choose a location that is close to the target market. Location wont e a real barrier provided you have a stable means of transporting your baked products to the target market. It is difficult to estimate an amount for location. Prices depend on the area and `other major factors. Location rent is relative.

#6. Hire Workers

Even if you will be involved in operations, you will still need workers. Depending on how big the bakery is, you will need a minimum of 5 to 10 workers. You should just go for random workers because you want to cut cost, for a start, go for experienced workers in that area of operation for maximum efficiency.

#7. Get the Equipment You Need

Bakery requires some core equipment that are necessary for the operation. Here are some of the equipment needed in a Bakery.

-Huge Ovens (Minimum of 2, depending on the size and scale of the bakery)
-Big Tables (Minimum of 3)
-Mixing Machine
-Moulding Machine
-Production Pans
-Disposable Hand Gloves (For workers)
-Bread Cutter/Slicer
-Worker’s Uniform (Optional)
-Carry Pan
-Generator

Overall Estimate
It is actually difficult to make an exact estimate of how much you will spend when setting up your bakery. This will be based on your personal plan and the type and scale of bakery you are looking a. This post highlights the major things you need and the steps you need to take when starting a bakery business. Based on past experience and people’s testimonies, you will need a minimum of N700, 000 to start a bakery business. On average, one needs to have between N1,000, 000 – N5,000,000 depending on the scale of the business

You can chat me up on WhatsApp 0 8 1 0 0 4 1 6 9 0 3 to know more
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by ThePreachersSon: 11:06am On Jul 12, 2019
So how much would be an ideal budget if I am thinking of a large scale business?
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2019
ThePreachersSon:
So how much would be an ideal budget if I am thinking of a large scale business?

Large scale? There are factors to this

Provided you have a standard building in a good location,
And the type of equipment you want to use if I prescribe it
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Puregold3(f): 8:57am On Jul 23, 2019
following
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 5:58pm On Jun 20, 2020
Work loading

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 5:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
Am so sorry it been late I update this forum
Am fully back
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Gee64: 6:52pm On Jun 20, 2020
Price update. Including cost of NAFDAC registration plus association registration cost.
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 4:49pm On Jul 04, 2020
I use gas oven for baking of my bread

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2020
Am not to good in writing lengthy words
Starting from tomorrow I will list the equipment I use for baking and their usefulness
Actually have highlighted it before but it will come with pictures this time around
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by trevolady(f): 5:31pm On Jul 04, 2020
Lynoverse:
Am not to good in writing lengthy words
Starting from tomorrow I will list the equipment I use for baking and their usefulness
Actually have highlighted it before but it will come with pictures this time around

Pls I am patiently waiting for the update tomorrow, pls can one start the business with 500k?
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 6:40pm On Jul 04, 2020
trevolady:

Pls I am patiently waiting for the update tomorrow, pls can one start the business with 500k?
Yes depending on some factors
1. Did you have a well mannered structure?
2. Did you have a means of marketing your product (motor cycle or bus)

If no, then 500k isn't enough unless you want to lend a bakery and be managing for the main time
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by trevolady(f): 6:45pm On Jul 04, 2020
Lynoverse:

Yes depending on some factors
1. Did you have a well mannered structure?
2. Did you have a means of marketing your product (motor cycle or bus)

If no, then 500k isn't enough unless you want to lend a bakery and be managing for the main time

Thanks for your reply,how lucrative is the business sir?
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 6:49pm On Jul 04, 2020
angry
trevolady:

Thanks for your reply,how lucrative is the business sir?

Very lucrative
Except people don't wake up they won't eat bread
Is a daily consumption product
At least you have 300 ROI if you invest and manage it well

2 Likes

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:03am On Jul 05, 2020
As I earlier said yesterday below are the essential tools and equipment needed to start a bakery with pics
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:05am On Jul 05, 2020
A well-structured facility that can occupy
1. A baff
2. A Lister
3. A oven space
4. A open ground

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:08am On Jul 05, 2020
This is a Miller
It function is to grand the dough smoothly

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:12am On Jul 05, 2020
Lister
It is use to power the miller

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:15am On Jul 05, 2020
A buff
This is use to mix our flour and other ingredients

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Seniorwriter(m): 9:19am On Jul 05, 2020
Nice & insightfully done OP....
Kindly address the strategy for Production towards high patronage from buyers.
Which sizes of loafs sell more & faster.
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:29am On Jul 05, 2020
Seniorwriter:
Nice & insightfully done OP....
Kindly address the strategy for Production towards high patronage from buyers.
Which sizes of loafs sell more & faster.

I will do justice to that
Keep following
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:35am On Jul 05, 2020
Oven
I use a gas oven
This depends on your budget
We are different kind of oven
1. Mould oven (cheap to purchase)
2. Semi electric oven (not too expensive)
3. Electric oven (expensive)
4. Gas oven (expensive)
5. Solar oven (expensive)

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:36am On Jul 05, 2020
All this ovens has their own ways of operations

So since am using gas oven
I will teach you the way is being operated during the practical classes
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:38am On Jul 05, 2020
Scale
To measure the dough into different sizes

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:41am On Jul 05, 2020
A workbench
To put your dough and other necessary tools like knife, scale and butter

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2020
Click on this link to join my WHATAPP group

https:///D2ojjAm3DyI4VP88Di1QGe

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:33pm On Jul 05, 2020
Kudos to you,but your environment and equipment look dirty.
Please tidy them up and upgrade your equipment.
Let's always put hygiene and people's health into serious consideration in anything we do.
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 9:07pm On Jul 05, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
Kudos to you,but your environment and equipment look dirty.
Please tidy them up and upgrade your equipment.
Let's always put hygiene and people's health into serious consideration in anything we do.

I sense you mean no harm
I produce under hygienic environment
Can you quote the environment and equipment that looks dirty?
Considering everything you saw in the picture are all clean and needed to be in the pics at the time I was taking it

1 Like

Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by konews: 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2020
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by chiagozie1: 11:14pm On Nov 18, 2020
Hi
Please I will like to contact you, I have sent you a dm please reply
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2020
Note: Please I am not an agent o, I don't sale any of the equipment but I can guide you on how to get the original and reliable one
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 22, 2021
More update on this
Re: How To Set Up A Bakery Business by Lynoverse(m): 8:10pm On Jul 09, 2023
Nlander
Welcome back all

(1) (Reply)

Help, I Mistakenly Sent Airtime To A Wrong Number / Big Idea Tech Startups In Nigeria / Nairabet Franchise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.