Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,765 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him (39352 Views)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 88th Birthday Today / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 87th Birthday Today / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by LeHMaR(m): 9:10am On Jul 13, 2019
A
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by kitombo: 9:11am On Jul 13, 2019
Victorisoni3:

your point

for the benefit of other nairalanders

Don't bother. If you know, you know!

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Stillthebest: 9:12am On Jul 13, 2019
Realist5:
Nice one[b]. I thought people said the man graduated with a THIRD CLASS.[/b] Nigerians grin

The man that has refused to be a coward, he refused to sell his conscience for any amount, he always voice his mind and opinions even in the presence of intimidation. I salute your courage Sir.

Happy Birthday to you Sir.

Yes he did. Even Gani Fawehinmi... But was as a result of activism not as Dullards

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Sedonxavi: 9:14am On Jul 13, 2019
HBD to the Legend... Prof. Wole Soyinka
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by oz4real83(m): 9:14am On Jul 13, 2019
VirginSearcher:
Even at this age he will make a good president, than Mr lifeless Buhari
He is good as an activist but as a leader? No no no. He was once a director of a federal parastatal/agency. Ask people what he did there. My respect to the Legend though.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by BankyGee(m): 9:14am On Jul 13, 2019
grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by benitdavid: 9:15am On Jul 13, 2019
spinner500:
Happy birthday CB of Tortuga!
May you derio forever. Ahoy seadogs. . . Rum pyrates rum.
We chant!
Yoha to ur bones!
Ahoys!
Pointless altercating an atos . . . it could have been worse!

Seun, lalasticlala

dingbat. keep displaying your foolishness

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by adioolayi(m): 9:16am On Jul 13, 2019
Happy Birthday to you Sir...your name already written in GOLDEN Sand of time

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Tega021(f): 9:19am On Jul 13, 2019
Length of days legend
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by sylve11: 9:21am On Jul 13, 2019
kitombo:

Don't bother. If you know, you know!

na so..... cool
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by SammySeun: 9:23am On Jul 13, 2019
Yes
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by sylve11: 9:23am On Jul 13, 2019
Happy birthday, Prof. cool

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by SammySeun: 9:23am On Jul 13, 2019
pesinfada:
That he(soyinka is a cultist)and must hv killd many ppl
Yes

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ZikZikZik: 9:24am On Jul 13, 2019
Shey no be this guy introduce cultism ni abi how dem talk am againundecided
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by wolesmile(m): 9:24am On Jul 13, 2019
pesinfada:
Say only the things you know. Then ask for God's forgiveness
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Graduateacher(f): 9:26am On Jul 13, 2019
spinner500:
[s]Happy birthday CB of Tortuga!

We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Sen, lasticlala [/s]

Cultist, give your life to Christ

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by spinner500: 9:26am On Jul 13, 2019
benitdavid:

dingbat. keep displaying your foolishness

Wise man, keep showcasing your wisdom!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by kindredspirit(m): 9:26am On Jul 13, 2019
Ahoy Cap'n Blud of Tortuga !!!

Wish you many more ruff Sayles until you join the foregone terrors of the high seas !

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ZikZikZik: 9:29am On Jul 13, 2019
Pearlyakin:
That's my main man

I know most of you don't know that confraternity exist in foreign Universities too.
Have you been outside Nigeria? Once you hear any news with “gang related activities” on headlines, the next thing you hear from the nearest white person close to you is “these blacks” And tbh most times na blacks dey sparehead these things outside Nigeria. That’s why Georgia has the highest number of gangsters because Georgia is literally the black state in U.S . Make una change, you guys are making good blacks suffer outside Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by chido20(m): 9:31am On Jul 13, 2019
seadogs are long dead.. i prefer there rival sealords
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by aishapmbtoto: 9:32am On Jul 13, 2019
No 11. He is a soft pussy
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 13, 2019
Identify yourself

spinner500:
Happy birthday CB of Tortuga!

We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Seun, lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Pearlyakin(m): 9:42am On Jul 13, 2019
ZikZikZik:
Have you been outside Nigeria? Once you hear any news with “gang related activities” on headlines, the next thing you hear from the nearest white person close to you is “these blacks” And tbh most times na blacks dey sparehead these things outside Nigeria. That’s why Georgia has the highest number of gangsters because Georgia is literally the black state in U.S . Make una change, you guys are making good blacks suffer outside Nigeria
Brother, i never said I belong to any confraternity sir i was just trying to tell people that confraternity also exist in foreign countries.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by stanliwiser: 9:42am On Jul 13, 2019
pesinfada:
ordinary history you cannot read. Just came online and talk like a kid.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Realist5: 9:42am On Jul 13, 2019
Stillthebest:

Yes he did. Even Gani Fawehinmi... But was as a result of activism not as Dullards
Okay bro
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by ZikZikZik: 9:42am On Jul 13, 2019
Pearlyakin:

Brother, i never said I belong to any confraternity sir i was just trying to tell people that confraternity also exist in foreign countries.
Sorry if I misquoted you embarassed
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by DrGabbi(m): 9:43am On Jul 13, 2019
[color=#550000][/color]
TooNoisy:
Wole Soyinka for me is not just an icon but he is one of the most distinguished Nigerians who always stands for truth.

1. In his early twenties, he helped found the Pirates Confraternity which was originally supposed to stand for justice and truth.

2. In his early thirties he spoke against Biafra and his perceived injustice to the Igbo people. He even went to prison in his own country for speaking against Biafra.

3. In his forties he stood spoke against several military governments including the regime's of Obasanjo and later Buhari

4. In his early fifties he won the prestigious Nobel Prize for Literature. And please stop comparing him to Chinua Achebe. Achebe wrote only prose and never wrote Poetry or Plays. Soyinka wrote Prose, Poetry and Plays.

5. In his sixties he stood up to the draconian regime of Sani Abacha and had to escape on a motorcycle when Abacha tried to kill him.

6. At 76 he led the save Nigeria group to demand the immediate hand over to Goodluck Jonathan after Yaradua had been aware for several months. He led several demonstrations even at the age of 76.

7. At 85 today he is still speaking against Buhari and against evils in the society.

So when I see ill-mannered children insulting the sage, I wonder what these people have ever stood up for except to come online and throw tantrums.

Wole Soyinka is truly a legend!

Brother, I don't really blame such people. I blame our education system. It is actually possible that people who disrespect the ilk of Wole Soyinka aren't properly educated.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Trustme2(m): 9:44am On Jul 13, 2019
Victorisoni3:

your point

for the benefit of other nairalanders
He is speaking the language of the spirits there, and here you are asking of point? grin angry angry grin grin grin angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Brugo(m): 9:48am On Jul 13, 2019
11. He was imprisoned for 22 months because of ungrateful biafrans.

The same Biafrans who insult him today at every opportunity.

Ingrates. Not surprised though.

Soyinka has since learned that if you cast your pearls before swine, they’ll trample on them and turn against you and tear you to shreds.

We remember not long ago when Doctors Without Borders remarked on the ingratitude of Biafrans after the war.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/doctors-without-borders-and-50-years-of-biafras-ingratitude

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury / Robinson Crusoe: Who Else Remembers This Novel? Indomie Generation Stay Off. / What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.