Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,117 members, 7,852,789 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:45 AM

A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni (8939 Views)

PDP Releases Face Of Soldier Used By APC To Rig Election In Ogoni,Rivers(photos) / Tears As Gov. Wike Visits Ogoni Killings Arena - Photos / Ongoing Massive Protest At Akpaja Eleme Rivers State By Ogonis (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Environer: 7:13am On Nov 10, 2010
Abagworo:

My take on this one is that the Eleme might belong to the larger Ogoni but have a high Igbo and Okrika mix.They also luckily found themselves in an advantaged position which they feel that a separate identity will be to their benefit.I see that as similar to Ogba or Omoku people versus their Igbo brothers.I won't be surprised hearing that Eleme does not sell land to Ogoni.

The languages are different to a large extent. It is not exactly like Ogba/Omoku and Igbo.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 7:16am On Nov 10, 2010
I always wondered why the coastal region seem to be the most diverse region in the Southeast. Can someone explain why you have all these small ethnic groups and sub-clans. It doesn't make sense. Is it, because of European involvement in the region for centuries?
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Environer: 7:22am On Nov 10, 2010
EzeUche0:

I always wondered why the coastal region seem to be the most diverse region in the Southeast. Can someone explain why you have all these small ethnic groups and sub-clans. It doesn't make sense. Is it, because of European involvement in the region for centuries?

Not sure why. But Cross River, especially its northern part that is not coastal is very very diverse too.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 7:26am On Nov 10, 2010
Environer:

Not sure why. But Cross River, especially its northern part that is not coastal is very very diverse too.

Do not get me started on Cross River state. It confused me. How can so many different groups live in one area in which their languages can be so different? That is truly like a Tower of Babel. No wonder the Bantu people originated from that region. It is like the Mecca of many African languages.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Abagworo(m): 7:34am On Nov 10, 2010
About 3 of our staff are from the same Local Government in Northern Crossriver but speak different languages.That place is unbelievable.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 7:51am On Nov 10, 2010
Abagworo:

About 3 of our staff are from the same Local Government in Northern Crossriver but speak different languages.That place is unbelievable.

I just found some research, in which there are over 50 languages spoken in Cross River State. That is AMAZING! And they are distinct languages. This is not including the different dialects.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by rhymz(m): 7:56am On Nov 10, 2010
This country complex die
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Unclez: 2:49pm On Nov 10, 2010
Abu-Maryam:

MHM see history, one mile one language. I love my country.
[tr][/tr]
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Afam4eva(m): 3:44pm On Nov 10, 2010
Eleme is more like Ogoni by association rather than language. Do you also know that Kana, Ghokana and Tai speak almost differently just like Eleme ?
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 10, 2010
When it suits them they claim Ogoni, when it doesn't they wanna be different, they cry out now that they are being subdued by the Ogoni's, while forgetting that, the Onne free port they claim, is really called ONNE/IKPOKIRI port and that's how its registered in the federal government gazette establishing that port, have they ever for once carried the people of Ikpokiri who are Okrikans along in the sharing of revenue from the companies at the port, or employment quota at the port. they should just shut up as we all see them as ogoni's.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Environer: 5:33pm On Nov 10, 2010
afam4eva:

Eleme is more like Ogoni by association rather than language. Do you also know that Kana, Ghokana and Tai speak almost differently just like Eleme ?
Yes by association. They were together before as one LGA. Those Kana, Gokana and Tai differences are dialectual. They understand each other and Ghokana appears to be a form of central Ogoni language, although Bori in Kana is their cultural head quarters.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Environer: 5:36pm On Nov 10, 2010
babasoty:

When it suits them they claim Ogoni, when it doesn't they wanna be different, they cry out now that they are being subdued by the Ogoni's, while forgetting that, the Onne free port they claim, is really called ONNE/IKPOKIRI port and that's how its registered in the federal government gazette establishing that port, have they ever for once carried the people of Ikpokiri who are Okrikans along in the sharing of revenue from the companies at the port, or employment quota at the port. they should just shut up as we all see them as ogoni's.

But Ikpokiri is not Ogoni. More like an offshoot Okrika island. The side of the water that is the port/wharf is clearly Onne though. That ikpokiri hm!! filled with ashewos. lol. Use to cross over in boat to get some fresh fish. Please respect what they want themselves to be. They said they are not ogonis and the clear language difference bears them out.

1 Like

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Obiagu1(m): 6:04pm On Nov 10, 2010
No similar ethnic group speaks differently. If they actually speak an entirely different language (not a dialect), then Eleme is not Ogoni. Period! So the Ogonis should suck it up and move on.

1 Like

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 6:08pm On Nov 10, 2010
Obiagu1:

No similar ethnic group speaks differently. If they actually speak an entirely different language (not a dialect), then Eleme is not Ogoni. Period! So the Ogonis should suck it up and move on.

Agreed. If the language is completely different, then they are not part of the same group. I share this view when it comes to all ethnic groups. The same goes for Ikwerre who clearly speak Igbo and the Efik, Ukwa and Annang who clearly speak Ibibio

2 Likes

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by ChinenyeN(m): 6:58pm On Nov 10, 2010
chyz1:

what im saying is that those little groups might actually belong to a larger group but were classified as something else either as a divide and rule tactic or they wanted to separate from the mother tribe and be alone.
Not necessarily so. Independent groups can number as little as just 100 people and still not belong to a larger group. Being small doesn't equal being part of something larger. Anyway, from what I've heard & looked into, Eleme & Ogoni are not the same people.

1 Like

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by tpia5: 7:20pm On Nov 10, 2010
most of the groups in the general area seem to have migrated there from various parts of africa within the same time frame.

hence the dichotomy.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by AndreUweh(m): 7:21pm On Nov 10, 2010
EzeUche0:

Agreed. If the language is completely different, then they are not part of the same group. I share this view when it comes to all ethnic groups. The same goes for Ikwerre who clearly speak Igbo and the Efik, Ukwa and Annang who clearly speak Ibibio
I hope you do not mean the UKWA in Abia state.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by ChinenyeN(m): 7:32pm On Nov 10, 2010
Andre Uweh:

He probably got his misinformation from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibibio_language . . . or maybe it is legitimate and there is an actual Ibibio-speaking group known as Ukwa and not the same Ukwa that we know of.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by chyz1: 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2010
IS there an ogoni-english or eleme-english dictionary or at least something which one can go to to compare the two languages?
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by ChinenyeN(m): 7:50pm On Nov 10, 2010
chyz1:

IS there an ogoni-english or eleme-english dictionary or at least something which one can go to to compare the two languages?
http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Niger-Congo/Benue-Congo/Cross%20River/Ogoni/Ogoni%20page.htm
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Environer: 8:26pm On Nov 10, 2010
Funny enough, when Eleme people fought a bitter 2 year or so war with Okrikans in the late 90s, they ran to Ogonis for help and those ones helped them to contain the okrikans who themselves where fighting with mainstream ijaw fighters. I was at the epicentre of the battle front at some point.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by chyz1: 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2010
ChinenyeN:

http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Niger-Congo/Benue-Congo/Cross%20River/Ogoni/Ogoni%20page.htm

Thanks bro.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 10:20pm On Nov 10, 2010
Andre Uweh:

ChinenyeN:

He probably got his misinformation from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibibio_language . . . or maybe it is legitimate and there is an actual Ibibio-speaking group known as Ukwa and not the same Ukwa that we know of.

I know my Ibibio side. You have Ukwa who are thoroughly mixed with the Ibibio and some claim Ibibio moreso than Igbo. That is why I included them.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by chyz1: 10:31pm On Nov 10, 2010
afam4eva:

After review the comparison of the mainstrean ogoni language and eleme I am convinced that the Eleme are ogonis and are trying to opt out. It's the same old story. Anyhow, the elemes feel that their clan is being marginalized by the rest of the Ogoni nation.

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Blazay(m): 10:47pm On Nov 10, 2010
More power to the almajiris of Southern Nigeria. grin
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Dede1(m): 11:47pm On Nov 10, 2010
EzeUche0:

I know my Ibibio side. You have Ukwa who are thoroughly mixed with the Ibibio and some claim Ibibio moreso than Igbo. That is why I included them.

EzeUche0, please my brother I suggest you apply a considerable restrain toward your utterances on this forum. I love the spirited exuberance you bring to bear on issue concerning anything that is related to you. But implying that Ukwa is thoroughly mixed with Ibibio and claim Ibibio more so than Igbo is akin to Ngwa or Aro man claiming more Ibibio than Igbo. I spent considerable amount of life in Ukwa and there is no circumstances where Asa or Ukwa person will claim more Ibibio than Igbo.

1 Like

Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 11:55pm On Nov 10, 2010
Dede1:

EzeUche0, please my brother I suggest you apply a considerable restrain toward your utterances on this forum. I love the spirited exuberance you bring to bear on issue concerning anything that is related to you. But implying that Ukwa is thoroughly mixed with Ibibio and claim Ibibio more so than Igbo is akin to Ngwa or Aro man claiming more Ibibio than Igbo. I spent considerable amount of life in Ukwa and there is no circumstances where Asa or Ukwa person will claim more Ibibio than Igbo.

You are right. I retract my statement. However, some Aro do claim Ibibio more than others. You would not know that some Aro are even Igbo, since they have Ibibio last names.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by excanny: 12:08am On Nov 11, 2010
What dialect of Igbo do the Ukwas speak?
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by EzeUche0(m): 12:10am On Nov 11, 2010
excanny:

What dialect of Igbo do the Ukwas speak?

The Ngwa variant with some Ibibio loan words.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Obiagu1(m): 1:09am On Nov 11, 2010
chyz1:

After review the comparison of the mainstrean ogoni language and eleme I am convinced that the Eleme are ogonis and are trying to opt out. It's the same old story. Anyhow, the elemes feel that their clan is being marginalized by the rest of the Ogoni nation.

I won't say the same. Eleme showed a marked difference from the rest of Ogoni clans dispite being their next door neighbour. However, the comparison is hard because of unfamiliar consonants they have. Those words, I think, will be best compared by a speaker of one or both languages.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by ChinenyeN(m): 2:31am On Nov 11, 2010
EzeUche0:

Well, I don't believe you know what you're talking about here. There is a reason why we (Ngwa-Ukwa/Ndoki) call you and your people [i]nmogho [/i]and not ourselves. Though, that isn't to say that an inter-relatedness with Annang-Ibibio doesn't exists, because it does. In fact, quite a number of us speak some form of Annang-Ibibio as a second language. My father speaks. Heck, I understand a bit of it and can also toss in a sentence here and there, but do not misconstrue such inter-relatedness in any way, shape or form.

chyz1:

Thanks bro.
No wahala, nnaa.
Re: A New Vista Of War As Eleme Battle Ogoni by Goodgoody1: 2:38pm On Jan 13, 2011
If the people of Eleme claims they are not Ogonies by virtue of name can they tell the world where they migrated from. Every tribe in this world came from some where and landed some where. Majority of the villages of Eleme migrated from Gokhana, and for fear of not answering OGONI PURE PURE which was a form of abuse melted on the Ogonis in those days they re-framed to the claim of not been OGONIS. It is clear and most of them know that is is clear. The language they speak and is called Eleme, which other does it resemble in Nigeria, they do not belong to the Okrika clan, neither do they belong to the Ikwere clans which are their immediate neighbours where on earth did they appear from. When a child grows up and does not ask questions about his ancestors he grows up to claim he is me meaning nothing. They should write their history and publish to the hearing of the world to read.
I like them because when it is hot between them and the Ogu and Okrika, they run down to become Ogonis and when it is cool no war no crisis they are not Ogonis, may God help them

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How State Govts Cheat Oil-Producing Communities In Use Of 13% Derivation Fund / Tinubu Sets Up Constitutional Review Committee On Police Reforms / Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.