Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

What Are Hiccups And How Can We Stop Them? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Are Hiccups And How Can We Stop Them? (314 Views)

A Comprehensive Guide To Hiccups And The Hiccaway Approach / How Can I Handled Constant Hiccups And Be Free Form It / Hiccups: Why We Have Them And How To Stop Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Are Hiccups And How Can We Stop Them? by prof2007: 1:07pm On Jul 17, 2019
WHAT ARE HICCUPS?
Hiccups are brief and involuntary contractions (spasms) of the diaphragm muscle. When the muscle spasms, the vocal cords snap shut, producing the hiccup sound. They are medically known as synchronous diaphragmatic flutter or singultus (SDF)

WHAT CAUSES HICCUPS?
Hiccups happen when a person's intake of air becomes momentarily blocked. It can happen for no apparent reason, but most commonly can be traced to the following causes:
-- eating too fast and swallowing air,
-- chewing gum, smoking,
-- eating or drinking too much,
-- abdominal surgery
-- strokes,
-- brain tumors,
-- damage to the vagus or phrenic nerve,
-- some medications,
-- noxious fumes,
-- anxiety and stress,
-- in babies, may be associated with crying, coughing, or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

SHOULD I BE WORRIED WHEN I GET HICCUPS?
Most people have hiccups from time to time, and they usually resolve without treatment within a few minutes. Rarely, there may be prolonged or chronic hiccups, which can last a month or more. Hiccups that last over 2 months are known as intractable hiccups.

HOW DO I GET RID OF HICCUPS?
Home remedies to get rid of hiccups include
-- holding your breath,
-- drinking a glass of water quickly,
-- drinking a glass of water while blocking your ears,
-- having someone frighten or surprise you,
-- using smelling salts,
-- pulling hard on your tongue,
-- etc.

WHEN SHOULD I SEE A DOCTOR?
See a Doctor if hiccups
-- become frequent, chronic, and persistent (lasting more than 3 hours),
-- affect sleeping patterns,
-- interfere with eating,
-- cause reflux of food or vomiting,
-- occur with severe abdominal pain, fever, shortness of breath, spitting up blood, or feeling as if the throat is going to close up.

SOURCES: Various medical authors.

Did you enjoy this article? Do leave a comment!

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

What Can I Do To Improove My Sex Life? / . / Delta Provision Waterproof First Aid Kit - Boating & Marine - Fully Stocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.