Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,062 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy (29670 Views)

How Trust Worthy Is FaceApp? / Using The Faceapp Is Fun But Here Is What You Should Know / Faceapp Now Owns More Than 150 Million People's Faces And Names, See Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by boomssey(f): 12:35pm On Jul 18, 2019
missimelda01:
I guess I'm the only one in Nigeria that didn't download the app, I can't deal with seeing wrinkles on my face cry
me too

1 Like

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by DlawTECHY(m): 12:53pm On Jul 18, 2019
Tosindwise:
I got all a whole lot of time ...I ensure I read the review of any apps I wanna download, and I also check out the terms and conditions.
To quote a man who told me long time ago that "If you wanna sell Nigeria just put everything in black and white _why ? Because the black man don't read"
And I totally agree with him... We usually do things before asking question....
That is why some people in Nigeria needs common sense to always ask the question 'why'?
.....if you agree with me like!
Meaning you don't use Instagram?

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by aodiba(m): 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
Make a search on google. Enter Facebook and instagram later you will see ads tailored to that innocent search

2 Likes

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by damtan(m): 1:10pm On Jul 18, 2019
missimelda01:
I guess I'm the only one in Nigeria that didn't download the app, I can't deal with seeing wrinkles on my face cry
But the wrinkles will eventually comesad
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
Bruh, as much as I hate the fact that these people are stealing our data, let’s not make it a Russian thing.

Here you have it, I upload some image on here sometime back about a water purifier sold on Jumia, I search for it on google then clicked the link to jumia.
Later that day on Facebook as I scroll through I’m shown exactly this same purifier, with some other ones , by the same jumia in collaboration with Facebook. There’s no saint in data theft, any app you use be rest assured that these people are watching you, showing you targeted ads that you need, yes you have searched for these items before.

They are all thieves let’s not make it a Russian thing, both google, Facebook, Twitter and any social media you use are actually stealing your data.

1 Like

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 18, 2019
aodiba:
Make a search on google. Enter Facebook and instagram later you will see ads tailored to that innocent search

You’ve also noticed, they are trying to demonize Russia when they Usa are worse off, so sick.

1 Like

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Khaleell001(m): 1:24pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sharming95:
Amai d only one dat doesn't get move by all dis trending stuff embarassed

We dey together brother.

People these days are just dense to understand that not everything that is "sweet" is worth swallowing.
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by ImaIma1(f): 2:24pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sharming95:
Amai d only one dat doesn't get move by all dis trending stuff embarassed

You are not alone
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Laeroy(f): 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2019
WinningEleven:
Russian are smart. Nigerians have a wholly different story..
Instead for us to innovate, we are busy copying.
Go to foreign social media spaces and you'll see people testing and scanning the algorithm of that app for loopholes and quirks plus security problems.
Naija na different story.
What if I told you that gbwhatsapp, yowhatsapp and any other Whatsapp clone has your "private" chats stored in their data base? Those private chats and media you send aren't private at all. That's why Whatsapp (original) is trying to shut them down.
But the average Nigerian is myopic. Ask him why he likes GB Whatsapp and he'll say
"It lets me store status updates" or ",it lets me change my font"
Nigerians need to change. An average Nigerian does not read the terms and conditions before installing an app. He's always looking for that "Accept" button undecided

I'm just wondering, what the stored private chats will be used for?
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by missimelda01(f): 2:30pm On Jul 18, 2019
I know right sad
damtan:

But the wrinkles will eventually comesad
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by missimelda01(f): 2:31pm On Jul 18, 2019
It has a name.. cool
gsparks01:
Gerascophobia
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by missimelda01(f): 2:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
lol the movies have taught us well.
shogsman:

We plenty boku,I don't trust Russia.
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by sarahade(f): 2:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
missimelda01:

Didn't download it too.
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Emyres: 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2019
Not true. What happens to your pictures on Facebook and Google and the rest of the AI apps?

Is FaceApp an evil plot by 'the Russians' to steal your data? Not quite
Arwa Mahdawi

Following the panic over this viral app, the moral of the story is: don’t worry too much about ‘the Russians’. You should worry about everything
Thu 18 Jul 2019 07.00 BST

O ver the last few days the #faceappchallenge has taken over social media. This “challenge” involves downloading a selfie-editing tool called FaceApp and using one of its filters to digitally age your face. You then post the photo of your wizened old self on the internet and everyone laughs uproariously. You get a small surge of dopamine from gathering a few online likes before existential ennui sets in once again. Challenge completed.
On Monday, as the #faceappchallenge went viral, Joshua Nozzi, a software developer, warned people to “BE CAREFUL WITH FACEAPP….it immediately uploads your photos without asking, whether you chose one or not”. Some media outlets picked this claim up and privacy concerns about the app began to mount.

Concern escalated further when people started to point out that FaceApp is Russian. “The app that you’re willingly giving all your facial data to says the company’s location is in Saint-Petersburg, Russia,” tweeted the New York Times’s Charlie Warzel. And we all know what those Russians are like, don’t we? They want to harvest your data for nefarious purposes. Unlike American techies, of course. Who are always deeply respectful when it comes to personal data, and only use your private information to make the world a better, more connected, place.
By Wednesday things had calmed down a little bit. A French security researcher who uses the pseudonym Elliot Alderson ran a check on the app and found it was not actually uploading your entire camera roll – just the photo you were modifying. Which is what you’d expect from an app like that. Speaking to me over the phone, Alderson said he also couldn’t find any evidence it was stealing all your data; it was just getting your device ID and your device model. Which, again, is pretty much to be expected. The reason the app was causing such a fuss, Alderson hypothesized, was because of fears about Russia.

FaceApp also responded to the controversy,
telling 9to5Mac on Wednesday that it “might store” some uploaded photos in the cloud for “performance and traffic” reasons. It also said that while the app’s “core R&grin team is located in Russia, the user data is not transferred to Russia”.

As more information about FaceApp came out, Nozzi, the developer who helped raise the alarm about the tool, issued a lengthy mea culpa and deleted his original tweets. Wurzel also deleted his tweets about FaceApp, stating that his comments about it being Russian were being misinterpreted. “My frame of reference for them came from reporting i’m doing on diff apps accessing data/ sending it places we wouldn’t assume (3rd parties, not govts),” he tweeted .
So does this mean everything is fine? Should we feel free to partake in the #faceappchallenge without worrying about our photos being misused? Well, no, not exactly. According to FaceApp’s terms of service, when you use the app you grant it a “perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide” license to do whatever it wants with your photos. However, while this may be awful, it’s worth pointing out that it’s the same as the privacy policy of basically every other tech service and platform.
If you refused to partake in the #faceappchallenge because you were worried about your privacy, good for you. However, I wouldn’t feel too smug yet. Chances are your face is already in a database somewhere, helping to train artificial intelligence (AI) to take over the world. As Adam Harvey, a privacy expert, pointed out to me over email: “ Google researchers disclosed that they used at least 8 million user images to train face recognition. And Facebook researchers mentioned using at least 10 million users.”

In May Google researchers also disclosed that they had used 2,000 YouTube videos of people doing the mannequin challenge (the viral challenge where you stay still) to help train an AI model on predicting the depth of a moving object in a video. The researchers also released their data set for future research, meaning there’s no saying how that data will be used in the future. That video you made as a joke might be helping to train anything from a self-driving car to a killer drone.

You don’t even have to upload anything to the internet yourself for your photo to end up training AI technology. Earlier this year it was reported that the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs had secretly been photographing students for a facial recognition study. Images of more than 1,700 people were collected between 2012-2013 without their knowledge or consent. Those photos went into a dataset used for training facial recognition algorithms. The funding for this dataset came from US intelligence and military agencies.
The moral of this story, then, is that you

shouldn’t worry too much about a Russian app. You should worry about everything. We are only just beginning to understand the extent to which we live in a surveillance hell. We are only just beginning to realize that our faces no longer belong to us, they’ve been privatized.
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Legendguru: 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2019
oh
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by bluefilm: 3:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
Immediately I became aware of that app, my first concern was the privacy issues associated with it.

It seems I wasn't wrong with my misgivings.
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Chimaobi377: 5:04pm On Jul 18, 2019
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Twinmama(f): 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
Well, I have nothing to hide for now �
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Twinmama(f): 5:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Well, I have nothing to hide for now. Lol
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by agent9(m): 10:09pm On Jul 18, 2019
Just curious...

People complaining about using FaceApp and them having access to users details and faces, are we not using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and even WhatsApp on daily basis?

Why are we not concerned about our privacy uploading our pictures and all our details on them every day?

Or is it because they didn't tell us they have access to our details on their T and C and we believed they don't??

Just curious, can you enlighten me?
Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by DAVE5(m): 10:13pm On Jul 18, 2019
Darey00:
Abeg enough with all the smartness jor..
That was the same "smart" people claiming woke during the 10 year challenge.
Online privacy is a myth.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram are bigger culprits. Go to https://myactivity.google.com/ and see something. And that is only for your Google Account o.
Leave the people to catch their fun, nothing is private anymore!!

Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!!!!

I went to the https://myactivity.google.com/, I’m over surprised at what I’m seeing, telling me every thing that was used on my phone, the dialler, my movement around town(whether I was driving or walking), games I’ve played on my android phone, apps I opened on the android, what I searched using my laptop, how many times I opened Samsung music app, how many times I went to the home screen on my phone (wtf)

The tiniest bit of information et all, the list is endless, we are just moving computers in the hands of internet

1 Like

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Darey00(m): 9:30am On Jul 19, 2019
DAVE5:

Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!!!!

I went to the https://myactivity.google.com/, I’m over surprised at what I’m seeing, telling me every thing that was used on my phone, the dialler, my movement around town(whether I was driving or walking), games I’ve played on my android phone, apps I opened on the android, what I searched using my laptop, how many times I opened Samsung music app, how many times I went to the home screen on my phone (wtf)

The tiniest bit of information et all, the list is endless, we are just moving computers in the hands of internet

grin grin grin u don see for ursef. leave people to their illusion

1 Like

Re: If You Installed Faceapp, You Should Be Aware Of Its Privacy Policy by Chydobe: 8:12am On Jul 22, 2019
While you were so eager to join the trendy train of the FaceApp mobile download, did you read the terms of service? Where it states that:

"You grant FaceApp a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully-paid, transferable sub-licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display your User Content and any name, username or likeness provided in connection with your User Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed, without compensation to you..."

Virtually everyone that engaged in the FaceApp Mobile download did not... CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO GET FULL GIST

https://www.techlearnhow.com/2019/07/21/faceapp-download-for-mobile-free-is-face-app-safe-to-download/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Facebook Hidden Features – You Are Not Aware / Blackberry Mtn Nigeria Settings / Glo Launches 'Glo Gista' 15 Kobo Per Second New Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.