Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,568 members, 7,816,393 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings (8126 Views)

Abia State Protest; Security Operatives Take Over Aba Roads - Photos / Refuse Take Over Aba / Breaking news: Army Have Taken Over Aba! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Remii(m): 7:04am On Oct 13, 2010
Kidnapping: Soldiers Declare War In Abia

13 October 2010 00:11 Wisdom Patrick, Lagos   . .>
Kill 172, arrest 237, quiz 7 LG chairmen

The Joint Task Force (JTF) tackling the menace of kidnapping in the south-eastern part of the country yesterday allegedly killed 172 persons suspected to be members of the different kidnapping gangs that have been terrorising residents of Abia State and its environs.

President Goodluck Jonathan had ordered deployment of military personnel to Abia State in the wake of high-level insecurity, including kidnappings in that part of the country.

The kidnappers allegedly fell to the superior gunpower of members of the JTF during a gun duel at the different parts of the state. It was also gathered that some 237 suspected members of kidnapping gangs that have been operating in the state have been arrested by the task force. The JTF, it was also learnt, has so far questioned seven local government chairmen in Abia State alone.

A competent police source who disclosed this to LEADERSHIP in a telephone interview from Umuahia, Abia State capital, also added: “So far I can say we have succeeded by 70 percent, because business houses, including banks have opened for businesses. private schools have resumed. In short, lives have returned to normal and we hope to consolidate on this.”

The Inspector General of Police (IGP) Hafiz Ringim in a telephone chat stated that he can not confirm the casualty figure, “but I can tell you that, there have been casualties and we also made some arrests, including prominent Abia State residents. That is not the issue, the issue, is what we have been able to achieve in this short period and I can tell you that a lot have been achieved. Because banks in the state have returned back to work and there is relative peace in major cities of the state presently.”

The police boss stated further that some security operatives had soiled their hands in the dirty business of criminality, stressing that those found wanting have been identified and shall be dealt with accordingly.

Ringim said that his dream is to leave Abia state and its commercial city of Aba, in peace. “We want to leave Aba, the way Aba used to be in those days. We cannot afford the activities of criminals in our midst, there is law and order in this country and it must be respected by all residents of Nigeria,” the IGP stated.

He stated that his vision is to take kidnapping to zero level in Nigeria within the shortest possible time, arguing that no country progresses in the atmosphere of insecurity and fear. According to him, kidnapping is as worst as terrorism and armed robbery, stating that, every country that had advanced in the socio-economic life of the citizens must rise-up against criminalities of all phases.
http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/leadership-nigeria/kidnapping-soldiers-declare-war-in-abia
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by homerac7: 7:58am On Oct 13, 2010
Should ds b chilling or cheering? shocked
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 13, 2010
Hope innocent people dont make this statistics
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by slap1(m): 8:44am On Oct 13, 2010
Not doubting the story, but can you get us the link to it?
lives have returned to normal
You must be kidding me! For where? Aba or Abuja?
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Vindy: 9:04am On Oct 13, 2010
The peace of the graveyard is no peace.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by daylae(m): 9:44am On Oct 13, 2010
I agree.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by niceprof: 10:02am On Oct 13, 2010
Even the uninformed knows that kidnapping in Abia state is politically motivated,it became pronounced when the rift in PPA became apperant.The Fedral government have  been non-chalant about it cos they (PDP)were weignig their options on how to  takeover Abia State.Now that Abia is in PDP bondage,FGN is deciding to do what it ought to have done and save innocent lives that has so far been lost -playing politics with innocent lifes.
When Theo orji decided to dine with the devil(PPA) didnt he know that this will be the outcome if  he ever tried to back off? when he agreed with them to stage manage the alleged shooting spree attempt  on his life in the earlier days of his administration,didnt he know that the game could be taken farther?
 The innocent lifes been killed in ABA are not that of kidnappers cos we all know that there are only two kidnappers in ABIA STATE -PDP AND PPA.
 So let the security outfits stop these extra judicial killings and go after the true culprits:PDP-THEO ORJI-PPA(ORJI UZOR KALU)
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by niceprof: 10:05am On Oct 13, 2010
Even the uninformed knows that kidnapping in Abia state is politically motivated,it became pronounced when the rift in PPA became apperant.The Fedral government have  been non-chalant about it cos they (PDP)were weignig their options on how to  takeover Abia State.Now that Abia is in PDP bondage,FGN is deciding to do what it ought to have done and save innocent lives that have so far been lost -playing politics with innocent lives.
When Theo orji decided to dine with the devil(PPA) didnt he know that this will be the outcome if  he ever tried to back off? when he agreed with them to stage manage the alleged shooting spree attempt  on his life in the earlier days of his administration,didnt he know that the game could be taken farther?
 The innocent lifes been killed in ABA are not that of kidnappers cos we all know that there are only two kidnappers in ABIA STATE -PDP AND PPA.
 So let the security outfits stop these extra judicial killings and go after the true culprits:PDP-THEO ORJI-PPA(ORJI UZOR KALU)
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by beneli(m): 10:15am On Oct 13, 2010
niceprof:

Even the uninformed knows that kidnapping in Abia state is politically motivated,it became pronounced when the rift in PPA became apperant.The Fedral government have  been non-chalant about it cos they (PDP)were weignig their options on how to  takeover Abia State.Now that Abia is in PDP bondage,FGN is deciding to do what it ought to have done and save innocent lives that have so far been lost -playing politics with innocent lives.

When Theo orji decided to dine with the devil(PPA) didnt he know that this will be the outcome if  he ever tried to back off? when he agreed with them to stage manage the alleged shooting spree attempt  on his life in the earlier days of his administration,didnt he know that the game could be taken farther?  The innocent lifes been killed in ABA are not that of kidnappers cos we all know that there are only two kidnappers in ABIA STATE -PDP AND PPA.

Spot on. . .
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by 5columnist: 10:16am On Oct 13, 2010
This is the same reason GEJ said that criminals were responsible for the Abuja bomb blast in a deliberate bid to tackle those responsible head-on. It is unfortunate also to note that most of the kidnappers are jobless and desperate. Thus, the act of kidnapping.
The question is: Do we think Nigeria government is doing enough to support Nigerians or enough to create the right environment that will enable people strive for individual happiness under the tenets of law that requires citizens to be law abiding in their bid for self sustenance? Government must become more accountable and responsible in terms of meeting the expectations of a people.

Thank God Nigerians are not particularly suicidal but rather hopeful. The quagmire is that people whose patriotism should rest on the entity Nigeria are beginning to form ‘states within a state’; manifested in form of ‘places of worship and all sort of brotherhoods and gangs’.  The consequent of the foregoing is that members of this smaller ‘states’ seek all ways possible to exploit the entity Nigeria. The paradox is that their loyalty ought to be with entity Nigeria first before any of the cellar groups but reverse is the case.

It is best to imagine the level of chaos that may be witnessed when goals of these groups conflict with that of our nation state (Nigeria). The question remains ‘how can government tackle ethnic, religious and criminally motivated goals and how can they simply create a balance between the need to fraternise and the requirement to follow the guiding set principles as stipulated in the 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria?  

Beyond killing these criminals, how do we mitigate the possibility of re-emergence of kidnapping in Aba and elsewhere in Nigeria.  Do our government have a sound plan?
The Niger-delta rehabilitation model from my observation has been effective and the concept can be borrowed in tackling all manner of crime.

That said, government should not always wait for something to go wrong before creating programs to empower a people especially the youths of this country! Nigerian youths of today are a wasted generation and unless something is done in terms of capacity building in areas yet explored, youth restiveness and involvement in criminal activities will remain high.
God bless the federal republic of Nigeria.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Mortiple(m): 10:32am On Oct 13, 2010
This story is exaggerated.

1. How can they claim to have achieved 70% success when the number one suspect - Osisi-Ka-Nkwu is yet to be apprehended?

2. By the way, where (as in town, village, forest or location) in particular did JTF engage kidnappers in gun duel (shoot out)?

3. That business houses re-opened shouldn't be the yardstick for measuring success.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by deor03(m): 10:54am On Oct 13, 2010
niceprof:

Even the uninformed knows that kidnapping in Abia state is politically motivated,it became pronounced when the rift in PPA became apperant.The Fedral government have  been non-chalant about it cos they (PDP)were weignig their options on how to  takeover Abia State.Now that Abia is in PDP bondage,FGN is deciding to do what it ought to have done and save innocent lives that have so far been lost -playing politics with innocent lives.

Why do we keep every act of criminality tied to Politics?

People are committing crime and we are saying it is politics?

Sometimes, I wonder the what the definition of Politics is
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by chiozor: 11:25am On Oct 13, 2010
@slap 1
is the situation different from what is being painted here by the police?
are there still crime ongoing in Aba/PHC expressroad?
Like you said you relocated, do you have a confirmed contact for geninue information please tell us
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Everfrank(m): 12:03pm On Oct 13, 2010
Its payback time. Nemesis.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by CareTaker1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2010
deor03:

Why do we keep every act of criminality tied to Politics?

People are committing  crime and we are saying it is politics?

Sometimes, I wonder the what the definition of Politics is

Kidnapping in Abia has been political, the politicians hijacked this trade from armed robbers, recruited the armed robbers and financed their enterprises and have since been financing their enterprises.

The former deputy governor that was arrested with some of his boys carrying arms and was declared to be at large then, was his declaration to be at large not political?

Political thuggery translated into labour, employing hardened criminals became lucrative and all these metamorphosed into present day kidnapping, the powers that be in Abia knows all the culprits or who's camp committed each or a particular crime.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by deor03(m): 12:22pm On Oct 13, 2010
Care-Taker:

Kidnapping in Abia has been political, the politicians hijacked this trade from armed robbers, recruited the armed robbers and financed their enterprises and have since been financing their enterprises.

The former deputy governor that was arrested with some of his boys carrying arms and was declared to be at large then, was his declaration to be at large not political?

Political thuggery translated into labour, employing hardened criminals became lucrative and all these metamorphosed into present day kidnapping, the powers that be in Abia knows all the culprits or who's camp committed each or a particular crime.

So it is right to say they were Politician and now they are CRIMINALS.

If a University Lecturer drops His profession for Crime, we can say the Crime is Educational
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by stiyke(m): 12:51pm On Oct 13, 2010
deor03:

If a University Lecturer drops His profession for Crime, we can say the Crime is Educational

Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by CareTaker1(m): 1:05pm On Oct 13, 2010
deor03:

Lol, yea right, they were politicians turned criminals.

I guess i understand you berra now, its not politics, its crime.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by slap1(m): 5:44pm On Oct 13, 2010
chiozor:

@slap 1
is the situation different from what is being painted here by the police?
are there still crime ongoing in Aba/PHC expressroad?
Like you said you relocated, do you have a confirmed contact for geninue information please tell us
Life is still returning to normal. But Aba is now peaceful. The Aba/PH expressway is safe, for now. The soldiers are doing what they know best. Kudos to them.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by chines4(m): 12:49pm On Oct 14, 2010
Until Osisi Ka Nkwu is arrested am not travelling to Abia State Aba in particular, shikana
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Odunnu: 1:21pm On Oct 14, 2010
Slap1,you sound like you are talking with tongue in your cheek.
I believe whatever you say about,i'l rather read your 'eyewitness' account than read paper. So,whats the situation like in Aba?
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by slap1(m): 2:19pm On Oct 14, 2010
chines4:

Until Osisi Ka Nkwu is arrested am not travelling to Abia State Aba in particular, shikana
I don't think that guy is still in Abia. My theory is he struck a deal with the governor and left, I have my reasons.
Odunnu:

Slap1,you sound like you are talking with tongue in your cheek.
I believe whatever you say about,i'l rather read your 'eyewitness' account than read paper. So,whats the situation like in Aba?
Schools and banks are open. The town is relatively livelier, but I think 40% of the people that fled are yet to return.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by babaowo: 2:39pm On Oct 14, 2010
what does nigerian expect from embezzler,those ppl used to embezzle money while they were in duty,now they are not,and they don't know what to invest the money on,so they invest in kidnaping,drug pusher,currency printing,which is equvalient to embezzlement,imagine, if like obj don't have farms and oil rig like ibb ,atikku and others,what they would have turn to?they will worst than kiddnapers. God help this nation,ppl let make a W--R declaration if not hunnnnnn,
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 14, 2010
Just contain your war in Abia, let it start and end there. Amen
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by fxmaxony(m): 6:28pm On Oct 14, 2010
May the souls of the innocent who died amidst few criminals in his extra judicial killing being eulogised by this government of the day rest in Perfect peace AMEN !

We need a rebellion in Nigeria.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by sulad82i(m): 6:59pm On Oct 14, 2010
I'm sure most of the people killed are innocent. Probably be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by LouisThoru(f): 7:02pm On Oct 14, 2010
Wait before Nairaland members condemn it saying innocent people were killed.

When kidnappers kill innocent citizens, no problem, but when news goes out that the task force kills kidnappers, they say the other way round.

What a people.

LOL.

Now they have all turned into analysts and SSS personnel, where were you all before the deployment of the soldiers.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Rastamann: 7:03pm On Oct 14, 2010
They are only postponing the evil days. All the politicians and most village heads needs to be eliminated before peace can come back to that place because rent seeking and corruption have gotten into their skull.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by sley4life(m): 7:05pm On Oct 14, 2010
I disagree. They will always try to escalate the fig
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 14, 2010
I hope those arrested would be swiftly processd through the judicial system and that those found guilty of kidnapping are gunned down by firing squad.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2010
sulad82i:

I'm sure most of the people killed are innocent. Probably be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Must you always talk nonsense about what you know absolutely nothing about. What is it with all these yanks anyway and their totally naive comments?
Or you think this kidnapping enterprise has not been supported by hundreds of people and they are not fully armed.
Re: JTF Kills 172 And Arrest 237 Over Aba Kidnappings by Outstrip(f): 7:51pm On Oct 14, 2010
A lot of the dead are likely innocent. May all the innocent souls rest in peace

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Threat Of Impeachment Of APC Governors Suspicious –NLC Chief / OBJ, IBB, Decry Insecurity In Nigeria / Nnamdi Kanu Appears In Court, Wearing Jewish Atire And Isreali Flag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.