Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,270 members, 7,839,354 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

The First Fortune City Four - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The First Fortune City Four (447 Views)

Book's Excerpt: Max Siollun's Soldiers Of Fortune(history Of Nigeria) / Fortune City Needs Your Help / Today In The History Of Fortune City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The First Fortune City Four by Divepen1(m): 1:05pm On Jul 22, 2019
When a person is regarded as a fool, he becomes the 'curse' of the town. Everyone would hate when people curse them with those names. This same phenomenon must have been the reason names like 'Sule,' 'Gambari,' 'Dopemu' became names to call people fools. But in reality, these names are actually people's names. It took a great effort to resist laughing at a shareholder of the schools I attended, Nightingale Academy because his name was 'Suberu Oje.' It almost sounded like 'Suberu ode,' another name for fools.
'Suberu ojeā€¦ Oje', one of my teachers once corrected.
Also, when two 'fools' walk together, they were referred to as two jolly good friends. We don't need to talk about 'three idiots,' many of us know how the movie went. They were the disgrace of the film.
But what do we say to that of four fools, Bala, Awelewa, Shola, and Babatunde? These four friends left their home, Itele Orire, to the scariest forest in the history of their land. The famine in the land prevented the Chief from throwing a party since the bravest hunters refused to enter the forest.
And truth be told, the onerous rumors that had been heard of about the forest. People that eventually escaped told the tale of how they became insane and hallucinated. This period was far from the time of Pentecost but near enough for Lord Lugard to tell Nigerians to amalgamate.
At this time of their departure for this forest, other forests were drained of animals. Even the seas and rivers had hidden their fishes very well. Since Itele Orire was walled off from the various warring clans, they couldn't make contact with others.
So, when these four friends decided to go to the forest, Bala's mother was the first to shout her happiness. However, Isila's mother couldn't control her tears.
'What are you saying? This is the thing that even men are afraid of doing?' She rolled on the floor. Isila stared at her mother, and even the remaining three wondered how it was impossible to leave without Bala.
Babatunde's parents too were skeptical not because they were afraid, but they believed he would sleep till he was killed.
'You don't trust me,' he said. And this accusation is a general problem every child around the world face. For example, my parents didn't believe I was destined for Arts class. I was pushed to the science class. Well, I came back on my own term and because I was getting C in my physics. My Geography was top notch. So, wipe off the smug off your face.
So, when the parents of these four friends released them, it was indeed great happiness. Armed with everything they would need for the journey, they entered the forest with musicians sending them off. They all cried, or did they?
Immediately their village was out of sight, Babatunde turned to Bala. 'Where are they?'
'Over there!'
She guided them to the place she had hidden several gourds of palm wine. They had been storing the palm wines there for a while.
They rejoiced and had no fear. Frolicking was their culture, and they would spend the rest of their lives doing that. They enjoyed the wine and spent three days in that part of the forest. The ladies among them had prepared everything they could. It was their vacation. The three days without anyone calling them ludicrous names was what they wanted, and now they have gotten it, and it was time to return home.
On their way home, however, Shola saw a deer.
'Did you see that?' He shouted because luck had befallen them. It would remain in history that they didn't come back empty-handed. Dropping all their loads, they chased the deer but didn't go far before they crossed into a new world.
When they turned back, they were greeted by a strong wall.
'What's this?' Awelewa mumbled.
If they have dreamt of anything golden, they wouldn't have imagined that they would ever encounter a land full of it.
The only difference this time was that the land was silent. Crows and vultures lingered in the trees. They searched the deserted town but found nothing that showed that any human had ever lived there. After several days of search, they couldn't tell why no one was there. Yet, everything they would ever need to survive was laid out there.
'Why can't we find our home also,' Awelewa cried one day. They all missed home.
They scouted the land for months and finally found their path home, just the same way they came. They returned home to meet the famine gone.
'You people were the curse,' the Chief said happily. 'The moment you left, things resumed normalcy. Poof!'.
The people abused them and refused to hear what they had to say. They told everyone about this new land, Fortune City, and how it was a great place to be. After a while, people decided to clear their doubts to see it.
However, only a handful of the villagers, who really believed their stories, entered with them. Yet, they could see the other villagers on different sides, but those ones could barely see them.
Quickly they came out again and tell the people what was happening, but many of them disbelieved.
'You are lying. You have paid those ones to believe your story. The god I serve, the great Sun, will not let me follow you'.
These four couldn't limit the good news to their villagers alone. They went to various cities to let people know about this great city called Fortune City. However, only people that believe it can see it to enjoy the treasures.

Inspired by Seven Lives by Beautiful Nubia

1 Like

Re: The First Fortune City Four by queenitee(f): 9:15pm On Jul 23, 2019
And then we followed them to our "Fortune City" wink smiley
Re: The First Fortune City Four by Divepen1(m): 11:16pm On Jul 23, 2019
queenitee:
And then we followed them to our "Fortune City" wink smiley
Yes ooo

(1) (Reply)

The Oldest Novel Ever Written / Pains Of Hadiza / For Writers Who Need A Writing Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.