Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,508 members, 7,826,923 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

How To Make Your Childrens African. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Make Your Childrens African. (4210 Views)

Happy Childrens Day 2015 Poems, Story, Essay In Hindi English / Childrens Day Surprise Celebration Ideas, Poems, Gift Cards Shop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 19, 2007
Sorry, Chiogo. The insults came from YOUNGDICE$, not you, sorry I didn't make myself clear.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by Esss(m): 10:19pm On Jul 20, 2007
How to make our children african?? Hmm

This is very hard if the child in question is over the age of 10, and has lived all his/her life abroad.

I was born in the village, stayed there for years and then we moved to lagos. The ghetto part of lagos. then port-harcourt (first the ghetto). All these areas taught me alot. Steet mentality, culture, language, tradition, e.t.c. Its not like we were poor, no. we just didnt have money.

These days children dont give a fuc.k bout culture no more. A lil kid see an elder and greet the elder "HI" with his cap on his head and standing akimbo while thrusting out a hand. Children cant even speak their local languages talk less of cook our local dishes {thanks to fast foods} . They dont even eat garri. They dont know how to wash plates (thanks to houseboys/girls and dish washers). Wake up in the morning they cant make thier beds. They cant wash their clothes (thanks to washing machines & dryers), They even swear and cuss in the house (in front of elders). A girl will wear some outrageously sexy outfit and walk out of the house (not that I'm complaining) and no questions asked. Ask for the oyinbo bred kids, if you make mistake flog them, Na you and child/social services, police and judge go settle your child abuse wahala.
I remember when I was little, in the evening after NEPA has struck, we will all gather outside and play and sing in our native language. My mum told me stories in Igbo language. When I was leaving Nigeria, my grandmum made me promise not to forget my native language. How many of our kids today know the name of any traditional games. All they want is PLAYSTATION 3, PSP, GAMEBOY, NINTENDO e.t.c. How many can tell riddles in their native languages?? Zero (they rather play sudoku, crossword puzzles, e.t.c). How many of them has ever had to walk miles to the stream to fetch water to bath or fanned firewood to burn?? None (thanks to jacuzzis, spas, bathtubs, water heater, e.t.c). How many of them can plant cassava or has ever been to a farm?? nil (thanks to department stores, canned foods e.t.c), How many can put the thread in a lantern?? Nada (all they know is generator), How many of dem has had that joy of swimming in the village stream/river?? nada (thanks to bar beach, swimming pools) I remember when we use to walk into the bush to pluck palm fruits to use and drink garri. Those were the real good ole days

In oder to make our kids african, we need to send them on a SURVIVOR mission/ DT (domestic training) in our villages (the real shit not those village clones{G.R.A}) for at least five years. I bet you you will see a change. For God sake I saw a Gay Nigerian man in london. (wat the Bleep is that?).
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by tpia: 1:52am On Jul 21, 2007
personally, I'm not big on whether a kid should be raised African or not. What's important to me is that a child be successful wherever they are.

This is just me speaking. everyone else also has a point.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by Nobody: 9:20am On Jul 21, 2007
Tpia, well said.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by MsEbz(f): 11:21am On Jul 28, 2007
I'd love to do some ancestral tracing or w/e one day soon but as of now where my folks originated from in Africa I dunno but I will find out so I can I guess gain back what was directly and indirectly stolen from me as a Black American.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by YOUNGDICEs(m): 3:39pm On Jul 28, 2007
damn this's too old.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by chiogo(f): 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2007
obowunmi:

as they are childrenS,
I will advice that you flog themS about ten times a day,
give themS corporal punishments
and let themS hawk on the streets
finally feed t[b]hemS[/b] once a day,
preferably in the evening

lmao.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by na2day2(m): 2:31am On Sep 04, 2007
i can see how ur going to nigeria every summer helped u become a better person. at the end u turned out to be this kind loser, i am sure not in a hurry to see ur brother that didnt go to nigeria during the summers (he probably didnt go because u were no better than him that went.) honestly i did like to know why ur parents made u learn a nigerian language when u can hardly make a proper sentence in english that u met here when u were born. if ebonics is ur thing, thats kool but it is stupid of u to tell us to make our kids africans by sending them to africa during the summer when u came out from that experiment a failure.

Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by younghoodi(m): 3:48pm On Sep 04, 2007
that's how i grew up my pops travel all the time he didn't care about my school and shit but he was the one that always made sure i went back home in june.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by na2day2(m): 5:24pm On Sep 04, 2007
i guess we just have to blame ur dad for ur failure routine (just like most americans like to do, blame sum1 else for their inabilities)

younghoodi:

that's how i grew up my pops travel all the time he didn't care about my school and shit but he was the one that always made sure i went back home in june.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by younghoodi(m): 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2007
i don't even blame my pops,am growing up now so i started to understand why he did that.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by na2day2(m): 5:42pm On Sep 04, 2007
really? well, try and understand also that the "S" , "F" and muther"F" words are not meant for gentlemen also. much luv bro
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by younghoodi(m): 5:43pm On Sep 04, 2007
aight bro i appreciate that.THANX 4 THE ADVICE.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by ssRhino: 11:36pm On Sep 04, 2007
Youngdice, that is a great idea, however, not too many people can afford to send their kids home every summer, i would rather suggest as much as the parents can afford.
But great suggestion.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by davidif: 1:06pm On Dec 10, 2007
NOSA, are you an aggie i went to A&M for a while also before i transfered.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by almondjoy(f): 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2007
@Topic

Sorry, my kids are free to be whatever they want to be.  I was raised an African and they are not raised in Africa.  Being an African is a way of life not a "learned subject"!  As long as they grow up to be responsible members of any society they choose to live in--that is fine with me.  Africa is only one of the other continents in this world.  Nothing special about being raised as an "African". I will respect whichever lifestyle they choose to live---because I love them! They are freeeeeeeeeeeee to live in whatever culture they feel comfortable with---African or Asian or otherwise!.  Does not marrer to me! kiss

I wonder how you teach children who do not live in Africa, how to be Africans.  The irony of it all is that those that claim to live in Africa all their lives do not even know what they are!

Shiooooooooooooo!!!!!
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by britgirlee(f): 1:44am On Dec 25, 2007
oh please ,

How about how to make your children independant strong i respected individualsof society.,,
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by davidif: 11:11pm On Sep 30, 2008
How To Make Your Childrens African.

omo no kill us with your grammar abeg.
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by mi3(f): 1:35am On Oct 19, 2008
hmmmmm, personally, i'd like to raise my children in Naija, because i know firsthand about how it is. My reason is mostly because of the social aspect, because unlike in America or the UK, respect is still very much encouraged in the Nigerian society, there is some kind of behavioural code that is the norm, you know what i mean? like, there is no way a nigerian child will see his friends father and say "hi peter!", ah, the pikin wan wound? those kinds of things might seem insignificant to some people, but i'd very much like my children to be raised having those kinds of moral values. So, if there is another country or continent out there where it is encouraged, then no wa cheesy
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by ikeyman00(m): 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2008
now lets me elucidate on this!!

u can be whatever u want right, u can denouce nigerian status, raise your family whereever u want, speak whatever lauguage u want, befriend bin lade daugther, get incriminated with homocides, etc NIgeria dnt care

however its quite interesting that majority asian, arabs, jews still speak and understand their language got a lot questions unanswered!!

the fact that a lot of jews are moving back to isreal ?

however to say that kids born here but raise to some extent in nigeria doesnt inflict decipline on them i think its a mellienium joke

let the kids born oversea and raised in nigeria attestify?

dnt get too lost in your new condition, else u behave like micheal jackosn, later u realise u arent wanted, u still black, then time might not be on your side then!!

foolish nigerians !!!
Re: How To Make Your Childrens African. by slimfine(f): 9:48pm On Dec 26, 2008
@ ikeyman00

Ah ah!!! just because someone does not share your view doesn't guarantee authomatic insult like "stupid Nigerians"

I quite I agree with you though because I wake up everyday and thank God that I was raised in Naija. Not to say that people who are raised here are no good but being raised in Naija gives me (personally) a sense of self and the courage to handle life difficulties maturely while keeping my sanity. I love to love that I have a "Culture" I can call my own. As such, I will make sure that my children learn my language and visit naija when we can afford it. My opinion sha. Kapish!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Come Obama Promotes Homosexuality But Doesn't Admit That He's A Homosexual? / Difficult Words In Ebira Language Translated To English Language By @binoosmart / Festac '77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.