Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,982 members, 7,814,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

$2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History (1919 Views)

Vyzov: The Challenge - Russia To Shoot A Movie In Space / Five Highest-grossing Nigerian Films So Far / List Of The Highest Grossing Movies Of 2018 And How Much They Made (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Explorers(m): 7:42pm On Jul 23, 2019
Ten years after securing the world record, James Cameron’s sci-fi epic Avatar (2009) has finally been unseated as the highest grossing movie of all time, thanks to a team of blockbusting superheroes.

Avengers Endgame, (2019) had grossed $2,790,216,193 at the global box office as at 21 July, a comfortable $500,000 ahead of Avatar’s $2,789,705,275.

Avatar had reigned for nearly ten years as the world’s biggest movie, and fought off stiff competition from the likes of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Jurassic World (2015) to hold on to its crown.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/amp/news/2019/7/avengers-endgame-overtakes-avatar-as-the-most-successful-movie-at-the-global-box-584354
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Explorers(m): 7:42pm On Jul 23, 2019
Released in April, Avengers remained in some 1,400 U.S. theaters over the weekend.

On Friday, Avengers was just $500,000 short of the record, and the film's official take was not yet clear on Saturday until weekend box office receipts are tallied.

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Explorers(m): 7:42pm On Jul 23, 2019
More

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by oz4real83(m): 7:45pm On Jul 23, 2019
Maybe Avatar 2 will retake the number one spot. Still being expected though. I just hope it doesn't flop like Alita
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Rayd502(m): 7:50pm On Jul 23, 2019
I just love the movie,a movie I can watch a hundred times without getting tired.I am amazed by the power Thanos possesses while wearing the infinity gauntlet.A real monster of a villain...He can easily be adjudged the best villain ever in marvel cinematic universe.

I wonder what a fight between Thanos and Dc's superman will look like.

8 Likes

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by mrMeen(m): 7:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
The mad titan.
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2019
Cool
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
oz4real83:
Maybe Avatar 2 will retake the number one spot. Still being expected though. I just hope it doesn't flop like Alita
Flop for where?
That sequel has been building up for many years now. The technology needed to make the movie wasn't ready at first,so it delayed stuffs. James Cameron is known for his 'sci-fi' movie tech and out of the world visuals and 3D effects. Avatar 2's many scenes where shot in the Mariana Trench. Expect an underwater world filled with rich colours, diverse ocean life and an intriguing story line. To cap it all,Avatars 2,3 and 4 are now being produced concurrently. So fewer months between release dates.

I'm sure his sequels will beat Avengers Endgame record
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
The wedding party 3 will knock Avengers off the perch smiley
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by CosmicPhoenix: 8:05pm On Jul 23, 2019
Avatar 2 will not gross $2 billion at the box office

oz4real83:

1 Like

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by TheFacelessMan: 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
grin

James Cameron waited too long to release Avatar 2.

BUT he's The Man and can't be rushed.

I remember how Terminator: Judgement Day blew everyone away....

He then followed up with Titanic, then Avatar.
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by CosmicPhoenix: 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2019
avatar 2 will not gross $2 billion dollars at the box office

luminouz:

Flop for where?
That sequel has been building up for many years now. The technology needed to make the movie wasn't ready at first,so it delayed stuffs. James Cameron is known for his 'sci-fi' movie tech and out of the world visuals and 3D effects. Avatar 2's many scenes where shot in the Mariana Trench. Expect an underwater world filled with rich colours, diverse ocean life and an intriguing story line. To cap it all,Avatars 2,3 and 4 are now being produced concurrently. So fewer months between release dates.

1 Like

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:
avatar 2 will not gross $2 billion dollars at the box office

Lol,wanna bet?
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by sureteeboy(m): 8:10pm On Jul 23, 2019
luminouz:

Flop for where?

It's definitely not gonna come close. The highest the movie can earn is 2 billion dollars
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Viserion: 8:13pm On Jul 23, 2019
u
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 8:14pm On Jul 23, 2019
sureteeboy:

It's definitely not gonna come close. The highest the movie can earn is 2 billion dollars
Lol,all his sequels won't beat 2 billion dollars?
Based on what bro? Did u even watch avatar? The tech for the movie was trailblazing at that time.
I expect better things from the sequels.

One thing in life is this: NEVER SAY NEVER
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by CosmicPhoenix: 8:14pm On Jul 23, 2019
there is nothing to bet here,how many people even remember what the first movie was about?how many people have you seen with avatar merchandise since the movie debut?how many characters can people remember from the movie?avatar 2 doesnt have the popularity or hype to gross 2 billion

luminouz:

Lol,wanna bet?

4 Likes

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 8:17pm On Jul 23, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:
there is nothing to bet here,how many people even remember what the first movie was about?how many people have you seen with avatar merchandise since the movie debut?how many characters can people remember from the movie?avatar 2 doesnt have the popularity or hype to gross 2 billion

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!

1 Like

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by oz4real83(m): 8:19pm On Jul 23, 2019
luminouz:

Flop for where?

Alita was almost being released the same time with avatar. The technology for alita wasn't even available just like avatar, at the the time the story was written. It took many years to get alita done. But when it finally came out, it wasn't received like avatar. It isn't about how long it takes sometimes.
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by chicoMX(m): 8:22pm On Jul 23, 2019
People dey watch film sha o..
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by oz4real83(m): 8:25pm On Jul 23, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:
Avatar 2 will not gross $2 billion at the box office

I wonder what the story line of avatar 2 will be about. Avatar one finished well and completely. James cameron is very creative and story twisting. Let's just wait and see.
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 8:29pm On Jul 23, 2019
oz4real83:
Alita was almost being released the same time with avatar. The technology for alita wasn't even available just like avatar, at the the time the story was written. It took many years to get alita done. But when it finally came out, it wasn't received like avatar. It isn't about how long it takes sometimes.
Alita is almost synonymous with Real Steel(a robot-fighting movie) or even some Cyborg movies. That Alita movie tech and the storyline is not new to theatre,Avatar brought something new to the table such as alien habitats and its exploitation, exobiology, human interaction with aliens,greed for mineral resources and a deep deep symbiotic relationship among alien flora and fauna, some sort of eco-balance. The movie's theme resonated with everyone at that time. You could feel a connection to the movies ideals on a deep personal level,much like Black Panther in that regard. Unless humans are still not humans,then the sequels wont resonate with us.

3 Likes

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 8:30pm On Jul 23, 2019
oz4real83:
I wonder what the story line of avatar 2 will be about. Avatar one finished well and completely. James cameron is very creative and story twisting. Let's just wait and see.
Pandora and her underwater life apparently. Saw a preview years back.
Avatars 3 and 4 will have humans coming back too
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by sureteeboy(m): 8:59pm On Jul 23, 2019
luminouz:

Lol,all his sequels won't beat 2 billion dollars?
Based on what bro? Did u even watch avatar? The tech for the movie was trailblazing at that time.
I expect better things from the sequels.

One thing in life is this: NEVER SAY NEVER
That's one of the main reasons the move even earned that much in first instance. It even one of the first major movies released in 3D. But the thing is, there couldn't be any groundbreaking visual effects in the new one that we haven't seen something similar to in movies released in the past 2 or 3 years.
And besides, don't forget we're talking about two movies decades apart. Most of the primary characters are no longer as relevant as they used to be in the industry (with the exception of Saldana and probably, Michelle Rodriguez)
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by luminouz(m): 9:03pm On Jul 23, 2019
sureteeboy:

That's one of the main reasons the move even earned that much in first instance. It even one of the first major movies released in 3D. But the thing is, there couldn't be any groundbreaking visual effects in the new one that we haven't seen something similar to in movies released in the past 2 or 3 years.
And besides, don't forget we're talking about two movies decades apart. Most of the primary characters are no longer as relevant as they used to be in the industry (with the exception of Saldana and probably, Michelle Rodriguez)
Nice analysis.
The greatest threat to avatar 2 is TIME...too much time passed between Avatar and its sequel and humans have short memories. The characters should be OK. Jake Sulley(the main avatar actor) still works in the industry. I saw his 'The Titan' movie recently and its not so bad. The actresses should be fine. Most, if not all the cast will be in avatar form, not human.

3 Likes

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by armadeo(m): 9:18pm On Jul 23, 2019
I predicted this last year that avengers end game will be the highest grossing movie of 2019 and possibly of all time.

I was right.

Lol Last year.

armadeo:

Thanos had a point. Resources weren't enough so he had to reduce population. That's logical but unethical.

He was the most powerful being in the universe meaning he was a "god". Even thor had a hard time with him minus his hammer.

I enjoyed infinity war it was the climax of MCU. I want to say this that end game will ne the highest grossing movie of 2019 possibly of all time.

Watch and see.
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Damfostopper(m): 9:19pm On Jul 23, 2019
unfortunately it's only Titanic that I have seen.... which was 10/10 for me....

the other remaining 4.....well not my kind of movies... I haven't seen them
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by armadeo(m): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2019
alexistaiwo:

You must be high grin angry angry
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by armadeo(m): 9:43pm On Jul 23, 2019
Damfostopper:

I have them all in my undeletables folder. Except titanic. I should look for a 1080 copy of titanic. Its gonna be worth it.
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Damfostopper(m): 10:46pm On Jul 23, 2019
armadeo:

I have them all in my undeletables folder. Except titanic. I should look for a 1080 copy of titanic. Its gonna be worth it.
wow..... even me too.... am looking for 720p of Titanic
Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2019
Damfostopper:

Oopssy.... Too bad.
For you to watch Avengers: End Game now, you will need to watch Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, The Avengers, Agents Of Shield (Optional), Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1 and 2, Winter Soldier, The Dark World, Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Civil War, Spider Man, Black Panther, Infinity Wars, Ragnarok, Home Coming, Captain Marvel, and then End Game.

You may want to watch Far From Home and Black Widow too.

Regardless of your 'kind of movies', these movies will blow your mind.

6 Likes

Re: $2.79B, Avenger Endgame Overtakes Avatar As Highest Grossing Movie In History by Kakamorufu(m): 6:24am On Jul 25, 2019
alexistaiwo:

I no fit laugh o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Movie Series You Must Watch / Caution AIT Pls / Desmond Elliot’s ‘in The Cuboard’ Set For Screening This August.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.