Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,174 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option (28496 Views)

Video Of People Burning Brooms Did Not Happen In Nigeria But Ghana / Inside The Boko Haram Bomb Making Hub In Sambisa Forest(video) / Soldier Calls Sambisa Forest "Local Dubai" As They Discover Weapons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Astark: 5:56am On Jul 24, 2019
The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki said his administration will not avail the federal government land for the contentious Ruga settlement in Edo State.

The Governor spoke while giving a lecture on the topic “Challenges of Pastoralism and International Migration for Sustainable Peace and Development: Edo State Experience” at the Department of State Services Institute of Security Studies (Executive Intelligent Management Course 12), in Abuja.

He said the narrative that the pastoral movement and farmer/headers clashes are not related to the security challenges in Nigeria is not true.

His words: “In Edo State, we have found so-called herdsmen with maps in the forests, they clearly cannot be herdsmen who are dependent on their livelihood from their animal assets; that cannot be.

“I think it is important in the context of this discourse to make that distinction between conflict as a result of economic activities, separate from deliberate conflict that is related to other issues like insurgency and terrorism.”

The Governor said over the years the state has had issues of pastoralists or herdsmen who have come to parts of the South, Edo State using grazing routes and mixing with locals.

“Our approach is, animal husbandry is a business just like we have poultry, piggery or what have you, so from that perspective, we want to now upgrade agricultural practices as it relates to livestock.

“During the era of General Babangida, he set up ranches in Edo; we have one in Igarra and several parts of the state. They are either privatized or left fallow, so we are talking to people who purchased them to see how they can be re-activated.

“For us, because it is business like any other private business, the state should not really have much to except we create an enabling environment for those people we want to invest in livestock business.

“So, the issue of giving state land for livestock, it won’t happen in Edo State.

“However, for individuals who have land and they want to go into livestock business like we are supporting people who are doing cassava and others, we as government will support them.”

On how to resolve the incessant herders/farmers conflict, he said: “The Sambisa Grazing Reserve (4800 ha) is an ideal and symbolic place to take-off by establishing a ranch run by the military.

“It would significantly improve the security situation in the zone and encourage cooperation between pastoralists and the military.
“In the North West, the military should also be encouraged to create ranches in the Gidan Jaja Grazing Reserve (565,000 ha) for the same purpose of improving security and cooperation with pastoralists,” the Governor said.

Obaseki said violent extremism, recurrent herder-farmer conflicts, cattle rustling, armed banditry, violent cross-border crimes, insurgency, illegal migration and other forms of crimes have “threaten the fabric of our country. ”

According to him, national cohesion is seriously threatened by the conflict “as many farmers and pastoralists have lost their lives and property in several orgies of violence.

“As we gather here for this lecture, so many Nigerians are living in fear of attack or reprisal attacks due to the growing herders-farmers’ conflict,” he said.

http://www.signalng.com/ruga-will-not-happen-in-edo-state-sambisa-forest-a-better-option-obaseki/

123 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by chriskosherbal(m): 5:58am On Jul 24, 2019
This Obaseki wicked sha grin

262 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by emilas1979(m): 6:07am On Jul 24, 2019
The only patriot amongst APC governors

Astark:
The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki said his administration will not avail the federal government land for the contentious Ruga settlement in Edo State.

The Governor spoke while giving a lecture on the topic “Challenges of Pastoralism and International Migration for Sustainable Peace and Development: Edo State Experience” at the Department of State Services Institute of Security Studies (Executive Intelligent Management Course 12), in Abuja.

He said the narrative that the pastoral movement and farmer/headers clashes are not related to the security challenges in Nigeria is not true.

His words: “In Edo State, we have found so-called herdsmen with maps in the forests, they clearly cannot be herdsmen who are dependent on their livelihood from their animal assets; that cannot be.

“I think it is important in the context of this discourse to make that distinction between conflict as a result of economic activities, separate from deliberate conflict that is related to other issues like insurgency and terrorism.”

The Governor said over the years the state has had issues of pastoralists or herdsmen who have come to parts of the South, Edo State using grazing routes and mixing with locals.

“Our approach is, animal husbandry is a business just like we have poultry, piggery or what have you, so from that perspective, we want to now upgrade agricultural practices as it relates to livestock.

“During the era of General Babangida, he set up ranches in Edo; we have one in Igarra and several parts of the state. They are either privatized or left fallow, so we are talking to people who purchased them to see how they can be re-activated.

“For us, because it is business like any other private business, the state should not really have much to except we create an enabling environment for those people we want to invest in livestock business.

“So, the issue of giving state land for livestock, it won’t happen in Edo State.

“However, for individuals who have land and they want to go into livestock business like we are supporting people who are doing cassava and others, we as government will support them.”

On how to resolve the incessant herders/farmers conflict, he said: “The Sambisa Grazing Reserve (4800 ha) is an ideal and symbolic place to take-off by establishing a ranch run by the military.

“It would significantly improve the security situation in the zone and encourage cooperation between pastoralists and the military.
“In the North West, the military should also be encouraged to create ranches in the Gidan Jaja Grazing Reserve (565,000 ha) for the same purpose of improving security and cooperation with pastoralists,” the Governor said.

Obaseki said violent extremism, recurrent herder-farmer conflicts, cattle rustling, armed banditry, violent cross-border crimes, insurgency, illegal migration and other forms of crimes have “threaten the fabric of our country. ”

According to him, national cohesion is seriously threatened by the conflict “as many farmers and pastoralists have lost their lives and property in several orgies of violence.

“As we gather here for this lecture, so many Nigerians are living in fear of attack or reprisal attacks due to the growing herders-farmers’ conflict,” he said.

http://www.signalng.com/ruga-will-not-happen-in-edo-state-sambisa-forest-a-better-option-obaseki/
Mynd44 lalasticlala

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by gsegun43: 6:12am On Jul 24, 2019
Good.
carry your ruga go sambisa

218 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by nzeobi(m): 6:12am On Jul 24, 2019
states with comparative advantage in cattle rearing should build ruga and enjoy whatever benefits attached to it.

128 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Astark: 6:13am On Jul 24, 2019
The fg(buhari And his northern cabals)are trying to force obaseki to summit to ruga with promise of rigging for him. It's a shame that Nigeria has been reduce to Fulani land.

Thank God obaseki has Edo blood in him, he will never sell his birth right. For those bastards Fulani camping in our forests, your heads will soon be used to appease our gods

295 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by tigerclaws: 6:14am On Jul 24, 2019
God bless Godwin obaseki
Oshiomole the scallywag should understand that everyone is not Ambode the fat clown

255 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Flyingngel(m): 6:27am On Jul 24, 2019
This Obaseki of a man don't give a sh!t.

222 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Ctorch: 6:38am On Jul 24, 2019
I watched obaseki interview and he was telling his supporters that out of the whole of SE/SS, he is the only APC government.

Seems the man wants to join his people over in pdp...Edo state you welcome to PDP.

So that finally SE/SS will be locked down for pdp....

But you know Edo state are Yoruba, so I think they will prefer to remain in APC with their brothers in SW.........is still okay...... blood is thicker than water.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Astark: 6:41am On Jul 24, 2019
Ctorch:
I watched obaseki interview and he was telling his supporters that out of the whole of SE/SS, he is the only APC government.

Seems the man wants to join his people over in pdp...Edo state you welcome to PDP.

So that finally SE/SS will be locked down for pdp....

But you know Edo state are Yoruba, so I think they will prefer to remain in APC with their brothers in SW.........is still okay...... blood is thicker than water.
Edo state is Yoruba? I think you don't have sense. How is Edo Yoruba?

220 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Charleys: 6:45am On Jul 24, 2019
This is why Adams oshiomhole should have taken over the house of Assembly.

Adams oshiomhole really messed up.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Niaja4real(m): 6:49am On Jul 24, 2019
Astark:

Mynd44 lalasticlala
For the very first time I've heard a leader spoke with such bluntness & clarity. May God bless Mr. Godwin Obaseki.

161 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by aolawale025: 6:53am On Jul 24, 2019
Good. He even gave other options

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Ctorch: 6:54am On Jul 24, 2019
Astark:
Edo state is Yoruba? I think you don't have sense. How is Edo Yoruba?

Imagine,

what are you talking sef sire.?

Edo state na Yoruba state oooo. Even the other day the letter written by alaafin to buhari , he named Edo state as Yoruba territory.

Please make your research well.....Edo na Yoruba get am.

See the letter of Alaafin to Buhari

"Titled, ‘Yoruba Question in Nigeria Conundrum,’ Alaafin wrote, “I have never been timid or failed in my total support for the success of your administration. My confidence had always been based on Your Excellency’s ability, fitness and competence in leading the country to the Promised Land, where law and order will prevail, individual liberty is guaranteed and economic wellbeing of the citizens is assured.
“In recent time, however, I am worried about the security situation in the country, especially in the South-West geo-political zone, nay the entire Yoruba-speaking area of the country, including Kwara, Kogi and Edo states."

please argue with facts.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Astark: 6:57am On Jul 24, 2019
Ctorch:

Imagine,

what are you talking sef sire.?

Edo state na Yoruba state oooo. Even the other day the letter written by alaafin to buhari , he named Edo state as Yoruba territory.

Please make your research well.....Edo na Yoruba get am.

See the letter of Alaafin to Buhari

"Titled, ‘Yoruba Question in Nigeria Conundrum,’ Alaafin wrote, “I have never been timid or failed in my total support for the success of your administration. My confidence had always been based on Your Excellency’s ability, fitness and competence in leading the country to the Promised Land, where law and order will prevail, individual liberty is guaranteed and economic wellbeing of the citizens is assured.
“In recent time, however, I am worried about the security situation in the country, especially in the South-West geo-political zone, nay the entire Yoruba-speaking area of the country, including Kwara, Kogi and Edo states."

please argue with facts.
he said "Yoruba speaking communities", don't we have Igbo speaking community in Benue, does that make the entire Benue state Igbo? No.

We even have Edo and ijaw speaking people in ondo, that doesn't make ondo ijaw or Edo land.

Yoruba is very different from Edo people, only uneducated youth will group them as one.

170 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by NextGovernor(m): 7:05am On Jul 24, 2019
I love Obaseki straight forward approach. I am taking these statements as Gold from Obaseki. Very sacred.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by iammo(m): 7:06am On Jul 24, 2019
grin

Mumu empty political talk.... everyone.collectively rejected RUGA and it.was suspended, why is he just waking up a sleeping dog with.his comment

5 Likes

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Astark: 7:09am On Jul 24, 2019
iammo:
grin

Mumu empty political talk.... everyone.collectively rejected RUGA and it.was suspended, why is he just waking up a sleeping dog with.his comment

ruga suspended? If you believed that then you can believe everything, didn't you read the part he said the fg is still trying to force Edo into the ruga nonsense?..

My friend in south west told me some governors their have already giving land to ruga, they don't just want to anger the public

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by iammo(m): 7:12am On Jul 24, 2019
Astark:
ruga suspended? If you believed that then you can believe everything, didn't you read the part he said the fg is still trying to force Edo into the ruga nonsense?..

My friend in south west told me some governors their have already giving land to ruga, they don't just want to anger the public

Mere hearsay.... FG doesn't have land, only state does, and they already told FG at the meeting they had at the chambers of state, that they don't support RUGA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by aanuoluwami14(f): 7:17am On Jul 24, 2019
Good of you sir, don't ever change your choice undecided Let them go to Daura too

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by fergie001: 7:17am On Jul 24, 2019
Sambisa Grazing Reserve?

Wickedness is in Obaseki's gene grin grin grin grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Ctorch: 7:18am On Jul 24, 2019
Astark:
he said "Yoruba speaking communities", don't we have Igbo speaking community in Benue, does that make the entire Benue state Igbo? No.

We even have Edo and ijaw speaking people in ondo, that doesn't make ondo ijaw or Edo land.

Yoruba is very different from Edo people, only uneducated youth will group them as one.

Let's not deviate the beautiful thread because I have seen you don't want to see reasons.

Obaseki is right and shouldn't be distracted by godfather's

Pdp is on standby watching..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by KendrickAyomide: 8:18am On Jul 24, 2019
cheesy grin
Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Princeton92(m): 8:18am On Jul 24, 2019
Well said sir

5 Likes

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by AbuuBilaal(m): 8:18am On Jul 24, 2019
Wailer
Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by MrAnele(m): 8:19am On Jul 24, 2019
That's what you say now
Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by opalu: 8:19am On Jul 24, 2019
I love that

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 24, 2019
Obaseki, you carry wetin your fathers carry. You BAM. Oba say make I greet you

21 Likes

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by aiyeboy(m): 8:19am On Jul 24, 2019
Like play like play RUGA go divide naija.

I sell phones and gadgets sha

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Anegbettedude: 8:20am On Jul 24, 2019
hahahah very correct my governor ..... osho wont like this oo grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Obaseki: RUGA Will Not Happen In Edo State, Sambisa Forest A Better Option by Duggedised12(f): 8:20am On Jul 24, 2019
My wake and see governor is smart.

If you want to own a land ,go and buy as an individual just like poultry and pig farmers do. Nobody is giving you free land,if you want free land,go to samibisia, if sambisia is not enough ,then use the entire north and keep the taxes and other benefits that come with it . its that simple.

27 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dolapo Osinbajo Cuts Her Birthday Cake With Husband, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo / Ben Bruce Compares Trump & Obasanjo: Both Are Womanisers That Like Pretty Ladies / Buratai: Spiritual Efforts Needed To Defeat Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.