Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,040 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. (6842 Views)

Education Is meant for those who can afford it(picture) / Teaching In Nigeria Is Difficult Because The Pupils Are Too Intelligent —british / Should Sex Education Be Taught As A Subject In Nigerian Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 15, 2010
Please forgive my ignorance on the topic. What is Sex Education?
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Reference(m): 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2010
Sex education is highly needed. If they are not taught they will be taught (you know what I mean). Knowledge of wrong things are acquired twice as fast as creative and safe ones and you want to drive a knowledge wedge very quickly. However I am a bit concerned about what and how the message is passed across. Surely a lecture that will result in erections and unnecessary embarrassment to young ladies (in particular) should be investigated. It completely negates the spirit of the idea. I think parents ought to be pro-active in this instance. Pay a visit to the school and have a word with the teacher or caregiver. Find out how its done and offer suggestions after all its your money. If you can be concerned about how well they perform in arithmetics and english how much more issues of life (pampers) and death (communicable diseases).
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by femmy2010(m): 9:36pm On Oct 15, 2010
If we fail to teach them then the young ones would learn from their peers which is not the best.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by namski(m): 10:20pm On Oct 15, 2010
For some reasons my tendencies will normally be towards the left on this issue. But having thought of this with my head and not with my heart, I will support the continued teaching of sex education. It's a changing world we are in and the advantages will out-weigh any disadvantages.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by ochungal(f): 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2010
Immoraltiy is riding a high horse and leaving the younger generation in a world of ignorance.

Teaching sex education gives children the knowledge to look out for perverts. Prevents the onslaught of children having children. Let them know that they have a choice to say NO and to protect themselves from contracting HIV/AIDs and other life scarring diseases, along with life time trauma.

Since the parents aren't doing it someone else has to do it for them.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by ReLaTE(m): 10:31pm On Oct 15, 2010
Almost everyone one here encourages that bt i think it would hv bn better if the females are thot by a female lecturer and the same wt d males. Bt in the case of a male lecturer in our society doing that for the females is absolutely wrong morally. The parents hs a major rule to play here bt nt all are enlighten and that also point to the fact that the best avenue to educate them is the church or mosque or in any religious organisation. It wld be taught to them in a way that wont provoke sexual arousal in them because it wl be according to the scriptures thereby avoiding some deregotory words.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by bawomolo(m): 10:41pm On Oct 15, 2010

I think sex education should be done by mothers [at least, it should start from home] not school.
It's risky having your child learn from school or peer group, for fear of misinformation.
I can't trust my child with any other person, on that subject.

let me guess, it's wrong for a father to teach his children sex education?  what happened to our child?
what if i was a single father. should the children be taught by an aunt?

nothing wrong with sex education in schools as long as they are thought the pros and cons of having sex.  sex education courses typically include lectures on how how to effectively wear a condom, what diseases condoms protect and can't protect again, curable and incurable std's etc. sex education isn't thought with a kama sutra handbook nor does it encourage people to have sex.  

studies have shown participants in abstinence only programs have similar sexual activity rates to participants in comprehensive sex education programs.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by DakANGEL(f): 10:48pm On Oct 15, 2010
I quite agree wt the religious way of doing that 'coz i learnt mine frm the church and its still the best way. My mum was always busy bt she played her own little part bt my saving grace was a society for young girls in our church.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by DakANGEL(f): 10:52pm On Oct 15, 2010
bawomolo:

let me guess, it's wrong for a father to teach his children sex education?  what happened to our child?

nothing wrong with sex education in schools as long as they are thought the pros and cons of having sex.  sex education courses typically include lectures on how how to effectively wear a condom, what diseases condoms protect and can't protect again, curable and incurable std's etc. sex education isn't thought with a kama sutra handbook nor does it encourage people to have intimacy.  

studies have shown participants in abstinence only programs have similar sexual activity rates to participants in comprehensive sex education programs.
i wldn't be comfortable wt my dad doing that for me.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by MissyB2: 11:46pm On Oct 15, 2010
bawomolo:

let me guess, it's wrong for a father to teach his children sex education?  what happened to our child?
Like I always say, each parent has his/her [explicitly or implicitly] defined roles.
It's general awareness that when it comes to intimate issues like this, especially with female kids, the mother does the observation and teaching.
She can later discuss it with father, in private.
Mothers teach female kids how to handle menstrual cycle, ignore sexual advances made at them, etcetera.
Hardly does a father do these things, when there's a mother.
Kids just tend to be more 'open' and 'free' with mothers. That's how it is.

bawomolo:

nothing wrong with sex education in schools as long as they are thought the pros and cons of having sex.  sex education courses typically include lectures on how how to effectively wear a condom, what diseases condoms protect and can't protect again, curable and incurable std's etc. sex education isn't thought with a kama sutra handbook nor does it encourage people to have intimacy.   
'Include' is the word. Sex education includes those aspects and more.
It's a very delicate subject, not everyone can teach it, as it should be taught- The reason I opine it's best taught [first] at home.
There's no need refusing to talk to the child about sex pleasure. Every area must be touched- The pleasure, the pain, the inevitable urge, the possibility of overcoming that urge etc.
It's only understandable that I fear, having my kid learn about sex [esp. the pleasure part] from just any person [how am i sure he/she isn't passing the wrong info across, or presenting the issue in a wrong manner, like making fun out of it] and in the midst of young minds, ready to try out everything.
I, as a mother, have to lay the foundation first. It's my responsibility.

DakANGEL:

i wldn't be comfortable wt my dad doing that for me.
Nor I.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 16, 2010
Na all this Omo Olowo school them dey teach this stuffs.
But the fact remain that then in Secondary school, while we had sex education, many of us got aroused sexually.

That does not make any difference. Fact remain that guys have strong sex hormones. Even the word sex, turns on. I bet all the dudes reading this already have a turn on.

Then some of the females in class used to even throw questions to the educator that shocked them. Some know more!

Bottomline: Sex education is good, but deep details should be cut off! And only what is needed and truthful should be taught!
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by InkedNerd(f): 3:22am On Oct 16, 2010
Hmmm, interesting topic. I'll observe for a while.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by kabukabu50(m): 3:49am On Oct 16, 2010
Exponental:

Sorry, is this a pix of a grandpa and granddaughter?

Darn,are you serious?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked,of course not, its bride and groom grin grin grin.boy some ppl are so slowww.

stevetboy9:

Please forgive my ignorance on the topic. What is Sex Education?

You sir,should stay away from all female parts till you are 21,, what kind of question is that??
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by ponpon(m): 6:07am On Oct 16, 2010
sex education is very good but there are things dat arent supposed to be with it e.g masturbation n homosexuality, dis cause the swiftest addiction if attempted kuz dere is no 1 u wuld tell dat wuld 1nt to try 1 or 2 tngs he/she has heard u guyz should knw naija children beta
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 16, 2010
stories of the pedophiles in our midst keep coming out every day now

if their victims had had sex education in the first place, they would have known what was happening

i spent 1 term in kings college (jss1). i remember this afternoon there was some dude standing by th gate - they said he was buying ice cream - see boys gathering round the man.

now that i'm older, i understand the guy was a predator. someone would have been that guy's victim

i had no idea that the guy was obviously a pederast

that there is one advantage of sex education

if i remember, that girl who was impregnated by her police man father said he told her this is what is done or something to that effect
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by obolongo(m): 6:43am On Oct 16, 2010
If you are not informed you will be deformed.It is better the know it from the teacher than from the bad friends
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by DakANGEL(f): 8:02am On Oct 16, 2010
obolongo:

If you are not informed you will be deformed.It is better the know it from the teacher than from the bad friends
yes i agree wt u bt i depends on the kind of teacher u are talking abt,everyone may be teacher bt nt all are good teachers,some cn as well deformed u.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Digriz(m): 8:18am On Oct 16, 2010
Missy ♥ B:

Like I always say, each parent has his/her [explicitly or implicitly] defined roles.
It's general awareness that when it comes to intimate issues like this, especially with female kids, the mother does the observation and teaching.
She can later discuss it with father, in private.
Mothers teach female kids how to handle menstrual cycle, ignore sexual advances made at them, etcetera.
Hardly does a father do these things, when there's a mother.
Kids just tend to be more 'open' and 'free' with mothers. That's how it is.
'Include' is the word. Sex education includes those aspects and more.
It's a very delicate subject, not everyone can teach it, as it should be taught- The reason I opine it's best taught [first] at home.
There's no need refusing to talk to the child about  sex pleasure. Every area must be touched- The pleasure, the pain, the inevitable urge, the possibility of overcoming that urge etc.
It's only understandable that I fear, having my kid learn about sex [esp. the pleasure part] from just any person [how am i sure he/she isn't passing the wrong info across, or presenting the issue in a wrong manner, like making fun out of it] and in the midst of young minds, ready to try out everything.
I, as a mother, have to lay the foundation first. It's my responsibility.
Nor I.

spot on
ponpon:

sex education is very good but there are things dat arent supposed to be with it e.g self-service n homosexuality, dis cause the swiftest addiction if attempted kuz dere is no 1 u wuld tell dat wuld 1nt to try 1 or 2 tngs he/she has heard u guyz should knw naija children beta
good point.
samoks:

Sex education has to be taught no matter what we think. Today we are ranked among the worst hit nation with HIV. If these kids are taught from their early ages about sex, HIV and other diseases, and also the real time when sex should be will help in a long way.

During my under-graduate days in Unilag, i was in an eatery when a guy walked up to a lady, you know the usual, to woo [TOAST] her,from his first statement, Guess what the lady replied? She politely answered the guy with a charming smile on her face, she was not rude at all,  Here i quote:

'Hi, thanks i am fine. Oh i understand you, you like me, or let me put it straight, am beautiful and you love me, you want to know me better and be friends, and then you want to date me, what else?'

This was the response that she gave the guy and the guy became deaf and dumb immediately,

With such people around, we have less HIV, more responsible women and men,  I am sure she had a very good upbringing, for her to have politely turned him down.

SEX EDUCATION SHOULD BE A MUST, INFACT WAEC/NECO SHOULD BE COMPELLED TO INCLUDE IT IN THEIR SYLLABUSES.

GUY SHEY U NO DEY SHAME? We are discussing a very critical issue here and you are posting TRASH,  Why not go to ABUJA and advertise to those colleagues of yours at ASO ROCK?

You took the advantage of the fact that no TOPIC in the world sells better than SEX-related issues.

Abeg where are the MODERATORS, why is this guy not banned from nairaland? why not go to nairalist to advertise?

if u include sex education in waec i bet u sooner or later the practical wl follow it.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Digriz(m): 8:27am On Oct 16, 2010
Bt apart frm the moral part of it i like se, x education a lot then coz some gurls seeing our hard on mostly get closer to us more.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by ReLaTE(m): 8:40am On Oct 16, 2010
Digriz:

Bt apart frm the moral part of it i like se, x education a lot then coz some gurls seeing our hard on mostly get closer to us more.
u see wat am talking abt here,was that educative or corruptive? I keep on saying that the west have made us believe that any invention frm them is perfect and we keep on inculcating them.
@digriz, i knw u bleeped one or more of them then and u might even be a virgin b4 then?
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by Meddler(f): 9:55am On Oct 16, 2010
I'm amazed at what I'm reading. I feel like u guys are now missing the point of sex ed. Or maybe I have the wrong impression of sex ed. Sex ed should be about teaching kids how to be safe and protect yourself from STD and unwanted pregnancy. How did pleasure and everything else u guys have been talking about come into this? Again that's why we need a qualified professional to teach our kids about such important topic.
Sex is as natural as breathing but again it's how we approach it. They need to be taught that it also comes with a lot of responsibility. We all realize that kids are learning and experiencing things at a faster rate than when we were kids. They need the proper tools now more than ever.

I remember when I did my internship at a middle school. I was having a discussion with one of the female students who was about 11 or 12 years old and I was shocked when she told me that some of the girls were accusing her of performing MouthAction on a classmate. I about fell off from my seat.

At that age I still believed that storks still delivered babies to mom and dad's front steps.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by ReLaTE(m): 11:10am On Oct 16, 2010
Meddler:

I'm amazed at what I'm reading. I feel like u guys are now missing the point of sex ed. Or maybe I have the wrong impression of sex ed. Sex ed should be about teaching kids how to be safe and protect yourself from STD and unwanted pregnancy. How did pleasure and everything else u guys have been talking about come into this? Again that's why we need a qualified professional to teach our kids about such important topic.
Sex is as natural as breathing but again it's how we approach it. They need to be taught that it also comes with a lot of responsibility. We all realize that kids are learning and experiencing things at a faster rate than when we were kids. They need the proper tools now more than ever.

I remember when I did my internship at a middle school. I was having a discussion with one of the female students who was about 11 or 12 years old and I was shocked when she told me that some of the girls were accusing her of performing MouthAction on a classmate. I about fell off from my seat.

At that age I still believed that storks still delivered babies to mom and dad's front steps.
valid point
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by samoks(m): 12:23pm On Oct 16, 2010
Digriz:

spot ongood point.if u include sex education in waec i bet u sooner or later the practical wl follow it.

Who will carry out the practical and on who?
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by donobi(m): 12:36pm On Oct 16, 2010
it is better u let them know the advantage and disadvantage of it.
let me share some experience with u.
early this year precisely march i was  with my niece she is 7 years old she because of how we are  close she ask me
what is sex" i was surprised for a young girl of that age to ask that question, i ask her where did she heard it from she said from school. i started from there to educate her and ask to tell her mum she refused i ask her why she said the day she mentioned it to her she was flocked, i called her mum and told her that she should start teaching her sex education now that she is aware of it before somebody take advantage of her.
anytime i visit them i take my time to know what she and her friend do and discuss and i elaborate on the subject so that she will be inform,
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by ReLaTE(m): 1:23pm On Oct 16, 2010
donobi:

let me share some experience with u.
early this year precisely march i was  with my niece she is 7 years old she because of how we are  close she ask me
what is sex" i was surprised for a young girl of that age to ask that question, i ask her where did she heard it from she said from school. i started from there to educate her and ask to tell her mum she refused i ask her why she said the day she mentioned it to her she was flocked, i called her mum and told her that she should start teaching her sex education now that she is aware of it before somebody take advantage of her.
anytime i visit them i take my time to know what she and her friend do and discuss and i elaborate on the subject so that she will be inform,
you took the right step bt d mom was just ignorant and failing on her duty.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by MissyB2: 2:30pm On Oct 16, 2010
Meddler:

Or maybe I have the wrong impression of sex ed. Sex ed should be about teaching kids how to be safe and protect yourself from STD and unwanted pregnancy. How did pleasure and everything else u guys have been talking about come into this?
I daresay it's more than that. Sex Edu. involves everything about sex.
Everything that has to do with sex must be taught. The area you fail to teach, she would learn from friends and you know how risky that is.

However, everything cannot be taught at once but gradually. Taking the female child as an example here -
At age 12, when the child begins to adolesce, you could lecture her on how to ignore/turn down and report sexual advances made at her. You can't stop there. You have to tell her why she should, the possible outcome of failing to do so etc. Failure to touch these areas would leave her more curious than she was, previously and cause her to seek more knowledge from peer groups [God help, if she meets the wrong person or learns through practicals].

At 15, when she's more prone to fall victim to peer pressure and no longer a mummy's girl [ the mummy-says-i-shouldn't-do-that-and-that girl] - she's now beginning to form her own values and have a mind of her own- one can now explain, not necessarily profoundly, the pleasure [Like, Its [sex] main purpose is for procreation, and only husband and wife are supposed to engage in it, it's a beautiful thing ordained by God but can cause a lot of disaster if engaged in, before marriage. it's not for kids your age blah blah] and introduce the idea of condom.

When she's 17,18, one can now go into full details- inform her of the inevitability of sex urge, and of course, the possibility of overcoming it. Teach the use of condoms, pills, abortion etc but always be on the anti-side of it. In a way that, you teach abstinence and preventive measures at same time. While emphasizing more on abstinence.

Why is it necessary to inform them of the pleasure and seeming advantage(s) of the things you ask them not to do at that age?
One of the reasons is, it helps them deal with lures, better. Teach them of the disadvantages alone and when they get informed of the pleasure part by friends, they would be thrilled at the new discovery, and most likely curious to try it out.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by MissyB2: 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2010
donobi:

Yes o.
A personal experience that is trivial to this issue but somewhat related to it.
Something happened in school someday and I was crying. Friends came around to soothe me. Some offered cigarettes, saying it would help me calm down but without stress, I turned it down.
Reflecting on it now, had I not been previously informed of the seeming pleasure derived from smoking and the disadvantages, I probably would have accepted it because I just newly discovered one of its 'advantages' - it would make me calm- and that's how I would have continued lighting sticks of cigarettes each time I'm not happy and from 1 stick, 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and then, I become an addict, regardless I've always known of its disadvantages.
But because I've always known of its advantages and disadvantages, and that its disadvantages exceed its 'advantage(s)', what they said - It would make me calm - wasn't new to me, and that made it easier for me to turn it down with ease.
Teach them everything. The gain and the pain. It helps.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by GeorgeD1(m): 4:50pm On Oct 16, 2010
i hope the teachers won't be taking their own turn too? wink
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by statusuzo: 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2010
Bottomline: Sex education is good, but deep details should be cut off! And only what is needed and truthful should be taught!

how the hell is one sure that the teachers themselves have the orientation,i blv its beyond just teaching, a high level of peception by the tutor is imptnt,weda it shud continue or not,how possible does this cut across to the poverty sriken pub schools in the remote villages,abi una tink say dem no get hormones to.
Re: Sex education is immorality teaching in disguise. by statusuzo: 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2010
the church is preaching prosperity,the imams seem to be silent about it all, who then do we leave the society to handle moral standards, definately not visionless miscreants up there at aso rock

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enugu State University Of Technology (esut) Post-ume Result Is Out! / Regularization Process For Student Who Dont Have A Valid Jamb Number. / Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.