Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners (31261 Views)

Video Of Ighalo's Lekki, Lagos Mansion. Money Is Good / U-17 AFCON: Golden Eaglets Get Easy Draw / Victor Moses, Mikel, Ighalo Risk World Cup Ban In Yaounde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by oloriooko(m): 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2019
Ighalo has made name for Nigeria and I cannot stop celebrating his feat on the continent
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by mjbaba: 12:41pm On Jul 25, 2019
Rashidi has 12 AFCON goals. Check well

1 Like

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Jarus(m): 12:47pm On Jul 25, 2019
airsaylongcon:

A very crucial goal where he struck in between two defenders. Could have had a career ending injury if the defenders decided to step on his knee. That was his break out goal that turned him to our target man.

I'm stunned that the OP says Yekini scored in Algiers 92. Algiers was 90 Senegal was 92. So @OP which one hin score? In 1990 Algeria did opened and closed the tournament by beating us. 92 was probably one of our fiercest games with Ghana in the Semi (we don't play games like those anymore)

Ghana-Nigeria game na war!
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by DarkJeddi(m): 12:48pm On Jul 25, 2019
Aystarz:

Aghawonder got a goal against Senegal back in Ghana/Nigeria 2000 though. Probably an oversight by the OP.
It wasn't an oversight,he is talking about Tournaments in which they finished as Top Goalscorers..

Yekini also scored more than 9 AFCON goals,but was Top Scorer in two editions with 9 goals total..

3 Likes

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Aystarz: 12:48pm On Jul 25, 2019
airsaylongcon:

A very crucial goal where he struck in between two defenders. Could have had a career ending injury if the defenders decided to step on his knee. That was his break out goal that turned him to our target man.

I'm stunned that the OP says Yekini scored in Algiers 92. Algiers was 90 Senegal was 92. So @OP which one hin score? In 1990 Algeria did opened and closed the tournament by beating us. 92 was probably one of our fiercest games with Ghana in the Semi (we don't play games like those anymore)

You're right boss. Terrible mix-up by the OP. You sure know your footie o. Respect!
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Aystarz: 12:49pm On Jul 25, 2019
DarkJeddi:
It wasn't an oversight,he is talking about Tournaments in which they finished as Top Goalscorers..

Yekini also scored more than 9 AFCON goals,but was Top Scorer in two editions with 9 goals total..

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by greensandy: 12:51pm On Jul 25, 2019
naptu2:

Algeria hosted AFCON in 1990, not 1992. Senegal hosted in 1992.

Rashidi Yekini was the joint second highest goal scorer at the 1988 African Nations Cup (Maroc '88) with 1 goal.

He was the joint second highest goal scorer at the 1990 African Nations Cup in Algeria (Algeria '90) with 3 goals.

Yekini was the highest goal scorer at the 1992 African Nations Cup (Senegal '92) with 4 goals.

Yekini was also the highest goal scorer at the 1994 African Nations Cup (Tunisia '94) with 5 goals.

Yekini era was goals and victories era.
The Real Super Eagles �

1 Like

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by OKorowanta: 1:07pm On Jul 25, 2019
which kind report be this?
Yekini scored 12 goals in nations cup history and not 9.
Algiers 90 three goals,Senegal 92 four and Tunisia 94 five goals.
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by franktolk(m): 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2019
Hi Naptu,
The moment I started reading your rejoinder/ correction , without looking at the name I knew it must be you .

Nice one ...thumbs up.

naptu2:

Algeria hosted AFCON in 1990, not 1992. Senegal hosted in 1992.

Rashidi Yekini was the joint second highest goal scorer at the 1988 African Nations Cup (Maroc '88) with 1 goal.

He was the joint second highest goal scorer at the 1990 African Nations Cup in Algeria (Algeria '90) with 3 goals.

Yekini was the highest goal scorer at the 1992 African Nations Cup (Senegal '92) with 4 goals.

Yekini was also the highest goal scorer at the 1994 African Nations Cup (Tunisia '94) with 5 goals.

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by blowjohn(m): 1:51pm On Jul 25, 2019
jhydebaba:
Odion Ighalo!!! Good stuff.

So no Nigerian player Don ever score hatrick for nations cup

Nations cup na Australia league?
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by wakes: 1:58pm On Jul 25, 2019
Good job!
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by naptu2: 2:11pm On Jul 25, 2019
mjbaba:
Rashidi has 12 AFCON goals. Check well

OKorowanta:

13. He also scored at Maroc '88.

naptu2:
I remember this because of my shock, surprise and confusion.

Before this tournament, I had thought that all Nigerians loved football. Unfortunately, when these matches were played, I had to be in this house where the occupants were not really interested in football.

It was strange! "Are there really Nigerians that are not interested in football? Are these people normal??"

However, the shouts of "goal" from outside, my insistence and evangelism and the feeling that something major was going on finally forced them to turn on the TV and sit in front of it.

Yekini scored the first goal.

A classic and typical Yekini move ended with the ball hitting the crossbar and bouncing out off the floor in front of the goal line and Humphrey Edobor was waiting to bang in the ball for Nigeria's second goal.

Ndubuisi Okosieme scored a beautiful solo goal to make it

Nigeria 3-0 Kenya

In a group game at the 1988 Nations Cup in Morocco (Maroc '88).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9q4AAFx9k
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Skelewu: 2:32pm On Jul 25, 2019
queenxey1:
How will you said Nigeria problem has been fixed where NEPA are still using generator to print NEPA bills?

Okay. But your English is terribly horrendous.

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by naptu2: 3:00pm On Jul 25, 2019
franktolk:
Hi Naptu,
The moment I started reading your rejoinder/ correction , without looking at the name I knew it must be you .

Nice one ...thumbs up.

Thank you.
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Ajibade123(m): 3:06pm On Jul 25, 2019
Left to me ighalo did not play anything spectacular In that world cup he was just lucky with the goals

see workable ways to improve your business performance
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-improve-business-performance/
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:08pm On Jul 25, 2019
OKorowanta:
you too quick to correct he scored 13 actually but was top scorer in two editions which is what the op is emphasising
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:11pm On Jul 25, 2019
Ajibade123:
Left to me ighalo did not play anything spectacular In that world cup he was just lucky with the goals

see workable ways to improve your business performance
https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-improve-business-performance/
you need luck in life bro...that's why some average players do well than others... kanu couldn't score at afcon and didn't win it but ogu has won it...omeruo has scored too
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by okeniti: 3:44pm On Jul 25, 2019
Very impressive sideburns.
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by miniziter(m): 3:48pm On Jul 25, 2019
Carlyboi:
Mathematical Segun Odegbami,goals daddy Rashidi Yekini and Aghawonder na men them be they were quite reliable and efficient for Nigeria!

Our problem started when only "unas" believe they owed Nigeria football.
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Carlyboi(m): 4:17pm On Jul 25, 2019
miniziter:

Our problem started when only "unas" believe they owed Nigeria football.
what are you saying? undecided
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Damfostopper(m): 4:49pm On Jul 25, 2019
Julius Aghahowa – 3 goals.....

so you mean Christiano Ronaldo hattrick is what someone somewhere in 2002 used to collect top scorer award.... just 3 goals

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Destroe: 5:09pm On Jul 25, 2019
Iheanacho will join them in 2 years time

2 Likes

Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by godwon01(m): 6:33pm On Jul 25, 2019
It was Senegal 92. Then Algiers 90. Yekinni scored in those competitions. Points of correction.
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by miniziter(m): 6:49pm On Jul 25, 2019
Carlyboi:
what are you saying? undecided

I mean the Igbos
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by higgs: 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2019
Rashidi Yekini remains the best striker ever to come out if Nigeria.
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by Carlyboi(m): 8:59pm On Jul 25, 2019
miniziter:

I mean the Igbos
Well I never believed that neither am i Igbo we can’t dispute their impact in Nigerian football today but other tribes have had produced true greats too Yoruba From Muda Lawal to teslim balogun Segun Odegbami and Rashidi Yekini were African and Nigerian greats they’re up there with the likes of Kanu and Okocha as far as their impact in Nigerian football is concerned so I have never felt they owned Nigerian football
Re: AFCON Golden Boot: How Does Ighalo Fare Compared To Previous Nigerian Winners by miniziter(m): 7:34am On Jul 26, 2019
Carlyboi:
Well I never believed that neither am i Igbo we can’t dispute their impact in Nigerian football today but other tribes have had produced true greats too Yoruba From Muda Lawal to teslim balogun Segun Odegbami and Rashidi Yekini were African and Nigerian greats they’re up there with the likes of Kanu and Okocha as far as their impact in Nigerian football is concerned so I have never felt they owned Nigerian football

Compare the rate at which tribes played this last AFCON to that of Igbos

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rohr: "Nigerian Players Lie About Their Age, That's Why I Hardly Invite Them" / I am not your friend: Tebas, Vinicius Jnr Clash over racism claims / Napoli Sack Head Coach, Gennaro Gattuso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.