Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award (9002 Views)

Ayobami Adebayo Nominated For 2023 Booker Prize Award / Sponsors For 2019 Literature Award / 2019: Obioma, Rushdie, Atwood fights for Booker's Prize award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Shekochild: 2:52pm On Jul 25, 2019
pinkPUSSY:

Nigerian writer, Chigozie Obioma’s second novel “An Orchestra of Minorities,” was announced on Wednesday as one of the books in the running for the Booker Prize, Britain’s most prestigious literary award.

Obioma, whose novel “The Fishermen” was a Finalist on the Booker Prize in 2015, faces strong competition for the award. Other nominated books include Salman Rushdie’s forthcoming “Quichotte,” about a traveling salesman who drives across the United States, and “10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World” by Elif Shafak, about a prostitute in Istanbul.

Of Igbo descent, Obioma was born into a family of 12 children — seven brothers and four sisters – in Akure, in the southwestern part of Nigeria, where he grew up speaking Yoruba, Igbo, and English. As a child, he was fascinated by Greek myths and the British masters, including Shakespeare, John Milton, and John Bunyan. Among African writers, he developed a strong affinity for Wole Soyinka's The Trials of Brother Jero; Cyprian Ekwensi's An African Night's Entertainment; Camara Laye's The African Child; and D. O. Fagunwa's Ògbójú ?d? nínú Igbó Irúnmal??, which he read in its original Yoruba version. Obioma cites his seminal influences as The Palm-Wine Drinkard by Amos Tutuola, for its breadth of imagination; Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, for its enduring grace and heart; The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, both for the power of their prose; and Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe, for its firmness in Igbo culture and philosophy.

Obioma's first novel, The Fishermen, has been translated into 27 languages and has received several awards. In addition to being listed as a 2015 New York Times Sunday Book Review Notable Book[8] and a New York Times Sunday Book Review Editor's Choice selection.

Nigerian writer, Chigozie Obioma, longlisted for the 2019 Booker Prize

The list of nominees is dominated by novels inspired by political crises, such as John Lanchester’s “The Wall,” set on an island surrounded by a concrete barrier to keep rising seas and immigrants out. The Mexican author Valeria Luiselli’s “Lost Children Archive,” about child migrants, has also made the cut. “The brilliance of the writing stirs rage and pity,” wrote Gaiutra Bahadur, in a review of the book for The New York Times.

The nominated books “imagine our world, familiar from news cycle disaster and grievance, with wild humor, deep insight and a keen humanity,” said Peter Florence, the chair of the judges, in a statement. “These writers offer joy and hope.”

Other books on the list are less political, such as Oyinkan Braithwaite’s comic thriller, “My Sister, The Serial Killer,” about two siblings in Lagos, one of whom has a habit of murdering her boyfriends. It is “a bombshell of a book — sharp, explosive, hilarious,” wrote Fiammetta Rocco in The New York Times. “Only after you turn the last page do you realize that, as with many brilliant comic writers before her, laughter for Braithwaite is as good for covering up pain as bleach is for masking the smell of blood.”

From its inception in 1969 until 2014, the Booker prize was limited to books by writers from Britain, Ireland and Commonwealth countries (plus South Africa and, later, Zimbabwe), but that changed in 2014, when it was opened to works by anyone writing in English. That led to fears it would be dominated by Americans.

In 2016, Paul Beatty’s “The Sellout” took the prize, and, the following year, “Lincoln in the Bardo,” by George Saunders, won. Both writers are American. After that, criticism of the rule change grew, and non-American authors complained they were being crowded out. In 2018, a literary society that counts Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan and Zadie Smith among its members demanded the rule be reversed.

The closest this year’s longlist comes to a book by an American writer is “Ducks, Newburyport,” by Lucy Ellmann, who was born in Illinois, but moved to Britain when she was 13 and now lives in Edinburgh.

The nominees will be narrowed down to a shortlist of six that will be revealed on Sept. 3, and the winner, who receives around $62,000, will be announced at a ceremony in London on Oct. 14.

The nominees in full are:

• Margaret Atwood, “The Testaments”
• Kevin Barry, “Night Boat to Tangier”
• Oyinkan Braithwaite, “My Sister, The Serial Killer”
• Lucy Ellmann, “Ducks, Newburyport”
• Bernardine Evaristo, “Girl, Woman, Other”
• John Lanchester, “The Wall”
• Deborah Levy, “The Man Who Saw Everything”
• Valeria Luiselli, “Lost Children Archive”
• Chigozie Obioma, “An Orchestra of Minorities”
• Max Porter, “Lanny”
• Salman Rushdie, “Quichotte”
• Elif Shafak, “10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World”
• Jeanette Winterson, “Frankissstein.”

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2019/7/nigerian-writer-chigozie-obioma-longlisted-for-the-2019-booker-prize.html

All i keep seeing from one particular tribe in Nigeria is ethnocentrism, exaggerations and self-glorification. This I have observed over and over again. And now, I am force to conclude that this is their nature--ethnic glorification. I perceive people who always try to exalt themselves above others as shallow and weak inside. It is just a coping mechanisms use to affirm themselves of their doubts. Come to think of it, if I know that know that I am what I am, do I need to try to get people convince that I am whatever I am by exalting myself in subtle ways...? Just like you will never see bill gate come out and beat his chest saying, " I am the richest man on earth'. He doesn't need to say it. Neither will you hear Jeff bezzos say that. Now, what am I trying to drive home here ? what I am to say is that there is no scientific research that shows that certain ethnic group have genius blood running through their veins while others aren't. Intellectual fit attain by few individual within an ethnic group cannot be generalized to be a distinctive trait within that ethnic group. Any man from any village in Nigeria can achieve anything , provided he is persistent, focus and determined. It is therefore childish to use the achievement of few individual within your ethnic group to gratify your pride-thirsty heart. In sumarry, it is not wise for a man to praise himself". I hope I have nullify the subtle suggestion the OP is trying to make...?

2 Likes

Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Enskynelson(m): 3:17pm On Jul 25, 2019
Salman Rushdie author of Satanic Verses!
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Shekochild: 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2019
pinkPUSSY:

Never you in your entire life polute my mentions with rubbish in the name of useless advise.

Hypocrite!
You didn't preach to your brothers who opened a thread that got up to 300 pages boasting that they are the most educated and best tribe in Nigeria only to be exposed and counterd with facts and figures which made them to dessert the thread they created with the intention of beating their flat ewedu chests
I am sure your type would have been dancing unclad on this thread if the news is a drug related topic.

Nonsense!
Sorry buddy,
You assumed wrongly. I am not Yoruba nor Hausa....
What I just said is the simple truth...take or leave it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by ElsonMorali: 5:17pm On Jul 25, 2019
I'd love to read that Oyinkan Braithwaithe's book. I just love an author who has a deep sense of humour.
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by WeRblessed(f): 6:37pm On Jul 25, 2019
[quote author=Ctorch post=80612160]What is this doing in politics section ?

Transfer it to right place.

Here is not the home of literary biography madam.

Take to literature section if there exist not here
[/quote

Child of hate speaking.
Jealousy gbuo gi there

1 Like

Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Ctorch: 6:42pm On Jul 25, 2019
[quote author=WeRblessed post=80625804][/quote]

Uchu
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by WeRblessed(f): 6:45pm On Jul 25, 2019
Ctorch:
What is this doing in politics section ?

Transfer it to right place.

Here is not the home of literary biography madam.

Take to literature section if there exist not here.

Go and drink cement. Stop hating igbos.Just ask God to give you the ingenious and enigma of the igbos. Enemies of Igbos are enemies of God because the hands of God is on them whether they are good or bad. He will bless those that bless them and curse those that curse them. So if you and your family hate the igbos you are cursed with a curse. If you love the igbos you are blessed.
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Ctorch: 7:30pm On Jul 25, 2019
WeRblessed:

Go and drink cement. Stop hating igbos.Just ask God to give you the ingenious and enigma of the igbos. Enemies of Igbos are enemies of God because the hands of God is on them whether they are good or bad. He will bless those that bless them and curse those that curse them. So if you and your family hate the igbos you are cursed with a curse. If you love the igbos you are blessed.

Bia uchu a mechionu

Stop writing trash.

Akogherizina.
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Talkwell: 8:53pm On Jul 25, 2019
Nobody's talking about the book but their stupid tribes. Retarded people.

I remember adding this book to my watchlist even before it was released, I waited so long for it but it was below my expectations. I'll go through it again.
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by 9jaRealist: 3:00am On Jul 26, 2019
pinkPUSSY:

• Max Porter, “Lanny”

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2019/7/nigerian-writer-chigozie-obioma-longlisted-for-the-2019-booker-prize.html

I see TWO Nigerians on the list...
Congratulations to both of them!

>
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by chubbyG(m): 8:57am On Jul 28, 2019
pinkPUSSY:

Nigerian writer, Chigozie Obioma’s second novel “An Orchestra of Minorities,” was announced on Wednesday as one of the books in the running for the Booker Prize, Britain’s most prestigious literary award.

Obioma, whose novel “The Fishermen” was a Finalist on the Booker Prize in 2015, faces strong competition for the award. Other nominated books include Salman Rushdie’s forthcoming “Quichotte,” about a traveling salesman who drives across the United States, and “10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World” by Elif Shafak, about a prostitute in Istanbul.

Of Igbo descent, Obioma was born into a family of 12 children — seven brothers and four sisters – in Akure, in the southwestern part of Nigeria, where he grew up speaking Yoruba, Igbo, and English. As a child, he was fascinated by Greek myths and the British masters, including Shakespeare, John Milton, and John Bunyan. Among African writers, he developed a strong affinity for Wole Soyinka's The Trials of Brother Jero; Cyprian Ekwensi's An African Night's Entertainment; Camara Laye's The African Child; and D. O. Fagunwa's Ògbójú ?d? nínú Igbó Irúnmal??, which he read in its original Yoruba version. Obioma cites his seminal influences as The Palm-Wine Drinkard by Amos Tutuola, for its breadth of imagination; Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, for its enduring grace and heart; The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, both for the power of their prose; and Arrow of God by Chinua Achebe, for its firmness in Igbo culture and philosophy.

Obioma's first novel, The Fishermen, has been translated into 27 languages and has received several awards. In addition to being listed as a 2015 New York Times Sunday Book Review Notable Book[8] and a New York Times Sunday Book Review Editor's Choice selection.

Nigerian writer, Chigozie Obioma, longlisted for the 2019 Booker Prize

The list of nominees is dominated by novels inspired by political crises, such as John Lanchester’s “The Wall,” set on an island surrounded by a concrete barrier to keep rising seas and immigrants out. The Mexican author Valeria Luiselli’s “Lost Children Archive,” about child migrants, has also made the cut. “The brilliance of the writing stirs rage and pity,” wrote Gaiutra Bahadur, in a review of the book for The New York Times.

The nominated books “imagine our world, familiar from news cycle disaster and grievance, with wild humor, deep insight and a keen humanity,” said Peter Florence, the chair of the judges, in a statement. “These writers offer joy and hope.”

Other books on the list are less political, such as Oyinkan Braithwaite’s comic thriller, “My Sister, The Serial Killer,” about two siblings in Lagos, one of whom has a habit of murdering her boyfriends. It is “a bombshell of a book — sharp, explosive, hilarious,” wrote Fiammetta Rocco in The New York Times. “Only after you turn the last page do you realize that, as with many brilliant comic writers before her, laughter for Braithwaite is as good for covering up pain as bleach is for masking the smell of blood.”

From its inception in 1969 until 2014, the Booker prize was limited to books by writers from Britain, Ireland and Commonwealth countries (plus South Africa and, later, Zimbabwe), but that changed in 2014, when it was opened to works by anyone writing in English. That led to fears it would be dominated by Americans.

In 2016, Paul Beatty’s “The Sellout” took the prize, and, the following year, “Lincoln in the Bardo,” by George Saunders, won. Both writers are American. After that, criticism of the rule change grew, and non-American authors complained they were being crowded out. In 2018, a literary society that counts Margaret Atwood, Ian McEwan and Zadie Smith among its members demanded the rule be reversed.

The closest this year’s longlist comes to a book by an American writer is “Ducks, Newburyport,” by Lucy Ellmann, who was born in Illinois, but moved to Britain when she was 13 and now lives in Edinburgh.

The nominees will be narrowed down to a shortlist of six that will be revealed on Sept. 3, and the winner, who receives around $62,000, will be announced at a ceremony in London on Oct. 14.

• Max Porter, “Lanny”

From this your list, there are two Nigerians. Oyinkan Braithwaite is also Nigerian.
Re: Chigozie Obioma “An Orchestra Of Minorities" For 2019 Broker Prize Award by Covidodo: 9:56am On Apr 15, 2020
Perkins2018:

You should know the op as a confirmed tribalist. Always looking for bad news about Yorubas while posting good Igbo achievements. He’s a degenerate osu bigot.
Bro..there were 2 Yorubas on the list actually .

And the eventual winner is a Yoruba woman who was born in the UK to a Yoruba father and an English mum.

Please Google Bernardine Mobolaji Evaristo to confirm .

Yoruba is no one's mate when it comes to creative writing or anything art in Africa and that's a fact

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stuck With Mr Popular / [story] The Perfect Couple (adults Only)…part 2 / Mara The Lesbian - Episode 1 (18+only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.