Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,653 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told (8070 Views)

Chris Ngige: Doctors Are Free To Leave Nigeria, We Have Enough / "The North Never Told Us They Do Not Like Suffering And Poverty" - Fani Kayode / I Never Told EFCC To Stop Akpabio Probe – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by EmmySparky(m): 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
mrAMG2:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the problem we have with Nigeria.

This is a prime example of a human animal, dumb, feral and possibly rabid.

Rather than keep an objective mind to information, you just come and spew trash. It’s people like you that swallow everything he’s told hook, line and sinker. It’s people like you that carry religion and tradition on your head.

There were some interesting points that were brought up, rather than think deep and investigate, you just type rubbish.

===============================

Anyway, Mr OP, do you think submitting a request to a British library/museum that may have a copy of that amalgamation document is a good idea?

They may deny knowledge or existence of it but it wouldn’t hurt me try.

Of course, we all have to take this with a pinch of salt
this information might be with mi6...this is a conspiracy of the highest order... they don't level things like this carelessly
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by printemps: 12:21am On Jul 28, 2019
MobileGees:

What does the name Nigeria mean to you?

Nigeria is simply a geographical expression of the imperialists’ greed and spite.

Recently, I was on a flight from Dallas to London when I struck an interesting conversation with an American professor of African history. We talked...

about the human race and countries.

America, he said was named after an Italian explorer called Amerigo Vespucci. Amerigo was known to denote his discovered land a “New World”. So long after her independence, the New World appropriated quite well with the dream of all Americans

“What about Nigeria”? He asked me.

“Flora Shaw Lugard coined Nigeria and her inspiration was the river Niger”. I replied.

“Wrong”. The historian responded. “Republic of Niger was named after River Niger not Nigeria”. That’s what white historians want you to believe.

I don’t understand the gullibility of blacks. With resources but won't research but dwell and believe all the white man says” He added.

Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves”. Nigger was a common derogatory slang used for slaves” He bluntly said.

His words hit my heart sharply and I was grateful the cabin lights were dim so he couldn’t see the expression on my face. It was a night flight; we had 9 more hours to our destination so I had all the time to listen. Sipping slowly on my orange juice I beckoned on him to continue

The West African Region identified as Nigeria today was known to have supplied more slaves than any other country. The quality of human “cargo” was supreme and priced much more than slaves from other West African countries. The men were strongly built and expert cotton farmers.

Only wealthy plantation owners could afford slaves from “Nigeria”. Little wonder, slaves from your country were nicknamed “black gold” and the British slave ship named “White Lion” brought them into Virginia.

“I am still not convinced” I shot at the grey bearded historian.

“Very well, lets start this way” he continued...

What gave River Niger its name?

I looked blankly at him…

It’s the European Slave traders and done for easy mappings. That river was the longest cutting across many black lands.

River Niger simply means the River of Niggers or Negroes as you wish to say.

Listen dear Natasha, you must have an open mind to first agree that most of what you were taught in Nigerian history is distorted and made to confuse the people.

I said nothing and he kept on talking

The imperialists were very brutal with no humane sentiments to Africa. Their business was simply to exploit and trade for their advantage. The Berlin Conference of 1885 legalized Africa as distant colonies to the imperialists.

Most African countries were named by what suited the “masters”

Ghana was named Gold Coast because the abundance of gold Britain exploited.

Zimbabwe was named Rhodesia by Mr. Cecil Rhodes who treated the country like his company.

Oh, lastly he added, the oil colony of the Niger Delta part of Nigeria was called the Slave Coast.

It was so when Asaba was the capital of the Southern Protectorate under the ownership of Sir. George Goldie the founder of the Royal Niger Company which had headquarters in Lokoja

Natasha, I hope you know that Sir. Goldie sold the Southern Nigeria protectorate (land and people) to the British Government for £865,000 (eight hundred and sixty five thousand pounds) in the year 1899.

“Finally, finally” he added. “there was a debate on whether to name your country Negroland or Nigritia as you were the most populated black nation. However, those on Nigritia won and the word was added in the Century Dictionary in 1904 to mean a large territory of niggers/negros”

Thanks for your “lecture” I said

Listen, I am sorry if I upset you but your country is greatly admired world wide for its great resources especially its people. What happened to them is distortion of facts to enable indirect rule function at the detrimental discord of its people

All Nigerian people need do is reach out to their core and harness a common vision which can bring forth the missing patriotism. You guys will be a world power in no time with your fire and potentials. But first…

- reach your core

- find your truth

- build your nation

Hint: Ask for the Southern and Northern amalgamation contracts. These should be made public for Nigerians to know. Get to know what terms Nigeria was married upon.

I know the Royal Niger Company was given some dubious rights to half of all mining revenue for 99 years from 1900.

These documents should be with the British government, United African Company and Leventis companies as there were parented from the Royal Nigeria Company. That’s if they are missing at your government’s administration.

That’s right… UAC and Leventis are owned by ex slave traders and still grow their empires in Britain.

“Thanks once again dear sir. I need to get to my seat for some sleep”. I appreciated.

Just as I got to my seat, we hit turbulence and the seatbelt sign came on.

The plane shook violently, my mind went to late Pius Adesanmi and I made a silent prayer for him.

I took a look at the live travel map that showed we were flying above the “Natashquan River” in Canada.

What? A river bearing a similarity with my name sounding like “Natasha Can”

Maybe this is a sign that I should not let this experience go but research more and share with you.

So I arrived Nigeria and began to research deeply; bearing in mind the professor warned that not all books are published as some information are preserved for the “discerning"

I searched up the Century Dictionary, the Slave ship named “White Lion”, Flora Shaw and the naming of Nigeria (what a story), the naming of the Republic of Niger; the Slave Coast of Niger Delta, Sir Goldie, Royal Niger Company, History of UAC & Leventis. the amalgamation contract

Wait a second… I searched for the 1914 Nigeria Amalgamation contract and found no answer. We know the English men to be high on documentations and record keeping so where are the amalgamation papers?

If you still don't believe let me ask you some quick questions
Who signed on behalf of Nigeria?

- Awolowo was born in 1909 and was 5 years at 1914

- Azikiwe was born in 1904 and was 10 at 1914

- Balewa was born in 1912 and was 2 years old at 1914

- Ahmadu Bello was born in 1910 and was 4 at 1914.

It’s clear that the formation and naming of our beloved country is shrewd.

We are lost… but we can find our bearing if we begin not only to have discussions about our existence but take proactive remedial steps.

Some would shove this off as “mere history”. However, remember the proverb “a river that forgets its source runs dry”.

2019 elections may have come and gone. A lot of cases hope for redemption at the tribunal. But I say this, its not over yet. We all can put voices demanding for disclosures of amalgamation/naming docs.
However, legislative and executive power matters in quickening the processes.

The Kogi governorship election comes up later in the year. Going through history, you shall see the possibilities of a New World being born from Kogi state.

Its possible to get a governor who would begin discussions towards a willing coalition of regions.

Until then, Nigeria is just a name given to a lucrative land of strong negro... The poverty capital of the world… a land afraid to be great. A land which feels it doesn’t deserve to be industrialized, educated, healthy and wealthy.

What’s in a name they say?

EVERYTHING!!!

Culled From Twitter

I love this intellectual conversation you had but I'm very sad and disappointed in the quality of responses and replies to this conversation on here. If I'm to borrow the statements attributed to the Nobel Laureate Professor Wole Soyinka, He said, “Nigerian youths are full of spunk outside but when they are inside Nigeria, they are full of gas. We are building a generation of illiterates. They are the first to comment on the internet on issues they are ignorant about. When you talk about education, I get texts from the New Generation and can’t believe these texts are from the youth.’'
It amazes me how a generation is wasted and allow themselves to be rendered useless to the generations to come.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by budaatum: 1:29am On Jul 28, 2019
Blankstare:

I see you in the image of Nate Turner. Kudos, and God bless mother Africa.
Thank you. You positively impacted my existence.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by tsdarkside(m): 1:30am On Jul 28, 2019
MobileGees:

What does the name Nigeria mean to you?

Nigeria is simply a geographical expression of the imperialists’ greed and spite.

Recently, I was on a flight from Dallas to London when I struck an interesting conversation with an American professor of African history. We talked...

about the human race and countries.

America, he said was named after an Italian explorer called Amerigo Vespucci. Amerigo was known to denote his discovered land a “New World”. So long after her independence, the New World appropriated quite well with the dream of all Americans

“What about Nigeria”? He asked me.

“Flora Shaw Lugard coined Nigeria and her inspiration was the river Niger”. I replied.

“Wrong”. The historian responded. “Republic of Niger was named after River Niger not Nigeria”. That’s what white historians want you to believe.

I don’t understand the gullibility of blacks. With resources but won't research but dwell and believe all the white man says” He added.

Nigeria simply means “The Nigger Area” or “Land of the Black slaves”. Nigger was a common derogatory slang used for slaves” He bluntly said.

His words hit my heart sharply and I was grateful the cabin lights were dim so he couldn’t see the expression on my face. It was a night flight; we had 9 more hours to our destination so I had all the time to listen. Sipping slowly on my orange juice I beckoned on him to continue

The West African Region identified as Nigeria today was known to have supplied more slaves than any other country. The quality of human “cargo” was supreme and priced much more than slaves from other West African countries. The men were strongly built and expert cotton farmers.

Only wealthy plantation owners could afford slaves from “Nigeria”. Little wonder, slaves from your country were nicknamed “black gold” and the British slave ship named “White Lion” brought them into Virginia.

“I am still not convinced” I shot at the grey bearded historian.

“Very well, lets start this way” he continued...

What gave River Niger its name?

I looked blankly at him…

It’s the European Slave traders and done for easy mappings. That river was the longest cutting across many black lands.

River Niger simply means the River of Niggers or Negroes as you wish to say.

Listen dear Natasha, you must have an open mind to first agree that most of what you were taught in Nigerian history is distorted and made to confuse the people.

I said nothing and he kept on talking

The imperialists were very brutal with no humane sentiments to Africa. Their business was simply to exploit and trade for their advantage. The Berlin Conference of 1885 legalized Africa as distant colonies to the imperialists.

Most African countries were named by what suited the “masters”

Ghana was named Gold Coast because the abundance of gold Britain exploited.

Zimbabwe was named Rhodesia by Mr. Cecil Rhodes who treated the country like his company.

Oh, lastly he added, the oil colony of the Niger Delta part of Nigeria was called the Slave Coast.

It was so when Asaba was the capital of the Southern Protectorate under the ownership of Sir. George Goldie the founder of the Royal Niger Company which had headquarters in Lokoja

Natasha, I hope you know that Sir. Goldie sold the Southern Nigeria protectorate (land and people) to the British Government for £865,000 (eight hundred and sixty five thousand pounds) in the year 1899.

“Finally, finally” he added. “there was a debate on whether to name your country Negroland or Nigritia as you were the most populated black nation. However, those on Nigritia won and the word was added in the Century Dictionary in 1904 to mean a large territory of niggers/negros”

Thanks for your “lecture” I said

Listen, I am sorry if I upset you but your country is greatly admired world wide for its great resources especially its people. What happened to them is distortion of facts to enable indirect rule function at the detrimental discord of its people

All Nigerian people need do is reach out to their core and harness a common vision which can bring forth the missing patriotism. You guys will be a world power in no time with your fire and potentials. But first…

- reach your core

- find your truth

- build your nation

Hint: Ask for the Southern and Northern amalgamation contracts. These should be made public for Nigerians to know. Get to know what terms Nigeria was married upon.

I know the Royal Niger Company was given some dubious rights to half of all mining revenue for 99 years from 1900.

These documents should be with the British government, United African Company and Leventis companies as there were parented from the Royal Nigeria Company. That’s if they are missing at your government’s administration.

That’s right… UAC and Leventis are owned by ex slave traders and still grow their empires in Britain.

“Thanks once again dear sir. I need to get to my seat for some sleep”. I appreciated.

Just as I got to my seat, we hit turbulence and the seatbelt sign came on.

The plane shook violently, my mind went to late Pius Adesanmi and I made a silent prayer for him.

I took a look at the live travel map that showed we were flying above the “Natashquan River” in Canada.

What? A river bearing a similarity with my name sounding like “Natasha Can”

Maybe this is a sign that I should not let this experience go but research more and share with you.

So I arrived Nigeria and began to research deeply; bearing in mind the professor warned that not all books are published as some information are preserved for the “discerning"

I searched up the Century Dictionary, the Slave ship named “White Lion”, Flora Shaw and the naming of Nigeria (what a story), the naming of the Republic of Niger; the Slave Coast of Niger Delta, Sir Goldie, Royal Niger Company, History of UAC & Leventis. the amalgamation contract

Wait a second… I searched for the 1914 Nigeria Amalgamation contract and found no answer. We know the English men to be high on documentations and record keeping so where are the amalgamation papers?

If you still don't believe let me ask you some quick questions
Who signed on behalf of Nigeria?

- Awolowo was born in 1909 and was 5 years at 1914

- Azikiwe was born in 1904 and was 10 at 1914

- Balewa was born in 1912 and was 2 years old at 1914

- Ahmadu Bello was born in 1910 and was 4 at 1914.

It’s clear that the formation and naming of our beloved country is shrewd.

We are lost… but we can find our bearing if we begin not only to have discussions about our existence but take proactive remedial steps.

Some would shove this off as “mere history”. However, remember the proverb “a river that forgets its source runs dry”.

2019 elections may have come and gone. A lot of cases hope for redemption at the tribunal. But I say this, its not over yet. We all can put voices demanding for disclosures of amalgamation/naming docs.
However, legislative and executive power matters in quickening the processes.

The Kogi governorship election comes up later in the year. Going through history, you shall see the possibilities of a New World being born from Kogi state.

Its possible to get a governor who would begin discussions towards a willing coalition of regions.

Until then, Nigeria is just a name given to a lucrative land of strong negro... The poverty capital of the world… a land afraid to be great. A land which feels it doesn’t deserve to be industrialized, educated, healthy and wealthy.

What’s in a name they say?

EVERYTHING!!!

Culled From Twitter

your writeup is not completly true....the word niger is even in the bible....go check it out....

niger is a strong word for strenght....you allowed your enemies to put the word down....

ga is strenght....their are even further words more than ga....

gaia....ghana....gang,gang up....
na you dey give whites the confidence to look down on you....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by tsdarkside(m): 1:33am On Jul 28, 2019
ni = have....
ger = strenght....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by ContentedK: 2:07am On Jul 28, 2019
Yyeske:
What does a shithole produce? Pieces of shiit of course so tell me what you are
I’m the moniker that reminds you how wicked, silly and stupid it is to support the barbaric shiithole union
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Yyeske(m): 4:39am On Jul 28, 2019
ContentedK:
I’m the moniker that reminds you how wicked, silly and stupid it is to support the barbaric shiithole union
Since you've finally accepted that you are a piece of shiit from a shithole, that's ok by me.
I didn't call you that, Trump did.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by romenna: 4:40am On Jul 28, 2019
rookidmart:

I don't even know where to start.

Both the republic of Niger and Nigeria are named after the Niger River because it flows all the way from Guinea, through, Mali, Niger and finally discharges in Nigeria in the Niger Delta.
FYI a delta is a landform where a river (in this case the Niger River) empties into a (larger) body of water (the Atlantic ocean).

Quick question: why is it Nigeria that's "Nigger area", why isn't Republic of Niger the republic of Niggers?
Ironic that "he" said this before and yet, you dumb
nigger, didn't do any research but took his words at face value.

FYI, the word Niger is most likely a phrase from the Tamashek language gher n-gheren, meaning “river among rivers"
Tamashek language is a dialect of the Berber language spoken by the Tuareg people.

Not true.
West Central Africa (comprising of the Democratic republic of Congo, Angola, etc) comprised most slaves during the Atlantic slave trade.

Negroland and Nigritia actually mean the same thing and it is not just Nigeria.
It actually comprised of land from the Guinea region to the Sahara desert. There's a map on Wikipedia if you're interested.
u wrote like a thief who is desperately trying to defend himself.
R u From Britain?
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by wowcatty: 5:06am On Jul 28, 2019
I have seen this several months back, this is a repost.

Anyway, greed is what is holding Nigeria together. Ghana changed its name back to their real name before the colonists, Zimbabwe and many other countries did the same but Nigerians don't want us to go back to our original names when we had Yoruba country, Ibo country, Hausa country, Ijaw country and others. Some Nigerians want Nigeria to reman the same, so they can keep stealing from one region and take to another.

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Yyeske(m): 6:17am On Jul 28, 2019
wowcatty:
I have seen this several months back, this is a repost.

Anyway, greed is what is holding Nigeria together. Ghana changed its name back to their real name before the colonists, Zimbabwe and many other countries did the same but Nigerians don't want us to go back to our original names when we had Yoruba country, Ibo country, Hausa country, Ijaw country and others. Some Nigerians want Nigeria to reman the same, so they can keep stealing from one region and take to another.
Some of you just come online to type trash, have you researched on how the name Ghana and Zimbabwe came about?
Present Ghana isn't even close to the ancient kingdom of Ghana, do your research please.
There was nothing like "IBO" country or Yoruba country and others, do some research and stop saying what you know nothing about.

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Randerl: 6:34am On Jul 28, 2019
tsdarkside:
ni = have....
ger = strenght....

Acts 13:1

tsdarkside:

your writeup is not completly true....the word niger is even in the bible....go check it out....

niger is a strong word for strenght....you allowed your enemies to put the word down....

ga is strenght....their are even further words more than ga....

gaia....ghana....gang,gang up....
na you dey give whites the confidence to look down on you....
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by wowcatty: 6:45am On Jul 28, 2019
You are just an iddiot trying to sound smart! Why do I need to do a research to know that Gold Coast was the name given by the colonists and was later changed back to Ghana which was the previous name? Same way with The Rhodesias that have now change to Zimbabwe and the rest, theses are common knowledge. There was a Yoruba country so I figured other had countries too or what were you called? Anyway, some of you are forest people, but Yoruba had a country alright and colonists/missionaries wrote about it. When you see me make a comment here, believe it I know what I'm saying, I don't just jump.

https://archive.org/stream/yorubacountry00hinduoft/yorubacountry00hinduoft_djvu.txt

The billion$$$ question now is, why is Nigeria holding on to this name?

Yyeske:
Some of you just come online to type trash, have you researched on how the name Ghana and Zimbabwe came about?
Present Ghana isn't even close to the ancient kingdom of Ghana, do your research please.
There was nothing like "IBO" country or Yoruba country and others, do some research and stop saying what you know nothing about.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by tsdarkside(m): 8:10am On Jul 28, 2019
Randerl:

Acts 13:1

thank you....
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by tsdarkside(m): 8:16am On Jul 28, 2019
wowcatty:
You are just an iddiot trying to sound smart! Why do I need to do a research to know that Gold Coast was the name given by the colonists and was later changed back to Ghana which was the previous name? Same way with The Rhodesias that have now change to Zimbabwe and the rest, theses are common knowledge. There was a Yoruba country so I figured other had countries too or what were you called? Anyway, some of you are forest people, but Yoruba had a country alright and colonists/missionaries wrote about it. When you see me make a comment here, believe it I know what I'm saying, I don't just jump.

https://archive.org/stream/yorubacountry00hinduoft/yorubacountry00hinduoft_djvu.txt

forgive him....

u cant know everything,the same way he knows things you may not know....
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by ContentedK: 9:21am On Jul 28, 2019
Yyeske:
Since you've finally accepted that you are a piece of shiit from a shithole, that's ok by me.
I didn't call you that, Trump did.
anything Nigeria is a shiithole, painful truth!!!
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Yyeske(m): 9:27am On Jul 28, 2019
wowcatty:

You are the one who doesn't understand here, you earlier said Ghana and Zimbabwe had to change to their original name, nobody is contesting the fact that both changed names from Gold coast and Rhodesia but before the change to their present names, were they both called Ghana and Zimbabwe at any time, later changed to Gold coast and Rhodesia but after independence decided to revert back to their old names?

As for your Yoruba country and going through your link, you earlier made it sound as if they had a united government government whereas the writer was only talking about his sojourn among the Yorubas, nothing like a political union was mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by bishop4life(m): 9:42am On Jul 28, 2019
Raysleek:
I know who I am and I don't need anyone to tell me who I am.. It doesn't matter where I am or where I am from what matters is who I am. We all need to work on our minds. It's always the bigger the better. United we stand strong but divided we fall without a fight.!!!

How can you know who you are when you don't know where you come from?

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Raysleek: 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2019
bishop4life:

How can you know who you are when you don't know where you come from?
I know where I come from. Speak for yourself.
Even my forefathers would be happy that I'm not taking the road they took and I'm not doing what they did. Life is bigger that your geographical roots. We think global
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by budaatum: 4:09pm On Jul 28, 2019
While we await those who've gone to the Museum below is the:

AMALGAMATION PROCLAMATION OF 1914
(FOR THE RECORD)

By Sir Frederick Lugard

Speech by the Governor-General (Sir F. Lugard) on the occasion of the declaration of the Constitution of the Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria, January 1, 1914.

YOU are all aware that His Majesty’s Government, after long and mature consideration, arrived some time ago at the conclusion that it would be to the great advantage of the countries known as Southern and Northern Nigeria that they should be amalgamated into the one Government, conforming to one policy and mutually co-operating for the moral and material advancement of Nigeria as a whole.

This policy had been strongly advocated by Sir William Macgregor as Governor of Lagos, by Sir Ralph Moor as High Commissioner of Southern Nigeria, and by myself as High Commissioner of Northern Nigeria about ten years ago. It has continued to be advocated by Sir Walter Egerton and my successors in Northern Nigeria.

He construction of rival railways in Northern and Southern Nigeria accentuated the necessity having a single railway policy, with a single administration, and over a year ago the Secretary of State decided that the time had come to give effect to the scheme of constituting a single Government for Nigeria.

Mr. Harcourt was pleased to select me to carry out this difficult task, and he appointed me in the first instance as Governor separately of the two distinct Governments of Northern and Southern Nigeria, with a view to informing myself of Local conditions and submitting to him my proposals for Amalgamation.

I had the honour to submit those proposals for his consideration on May 9th last. They were accepted in all essentials, and today they are to take effect. I desire therefore as briefly as possible to describe to you, and through you to the official and unofficial community of Nigeria the basis on which this Amalgamation is to be carried out, and the principal changes which will result.

The Colony and Protectorate of Nigeria will be placed under the control of a single officer upon will control of a single officer upon whom His Majesty has been pleased to confer the title of Governor-General, thus indicating the importance of this country among the Crown Colonies and Protectorates of the Empire. That portion which has hitherto been Northern Nigeria will be known in future as the Northern Provinces, while the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria will be known as the Southern Provinces of Nigeria; each will be under the immediate control of a Lieutenant-General responsible to the Governor-General. The Colony in view of its separate status and traditions will preserve a separate identity, under an Administrator of its own dealing direct with the Governor-General. For the present, the Central Headquarters will remain at Lagos, and the Governor-General will divide his time between the Headquarter Stations of the Northern and the Southern Provinces.

His Majesty, through the Secretary of State, has been pleased to confer on me the high honour of appointment as Governor-General, and I humbly hope that I may be enabled to discharge the functions of this office, the great responsibilities of which I deeply appreciate, in such a manner as to deserve His Majesty’s approval, and to the satisfaction and contentment of His Majesty’s loyal subjects and of all the people of Nigeria. To succeed in such a task would be impossible unless I have the goodwill and co-operation of all classes, Official and Unofficial, irrespective of race or creed, and I take this opportunity of earnestly asking for that co-operation and loyal assistance, assuring you at the same time that, so far as in me lies, I shall not spare myself nor find any work too hard or arduous, if I can thereby advance the true interests of this country and of each individual person in it, whatever his race or creed, or however humble his rank.

For the high and responsible posts of Lieutenant-Governors of the Southern and Northern Provinces His Majesty has selected Mr. A. G. Boyle, C.M.G. and Mr. C. L. Temple, C.M.G. officers in whose loyalty and ability he has the highest confidence, and in whose hand the welfare of the Protectorate is assure. As Administrator of the Colony the Secretary of State has selected Mr. F. S. James, C.M.G. whose long experience in the South marks him out as the most fitting officer for the post. I may be permitted to offer to these officers my congratulations, and to express my deep satisfaction that I am privileged to work with them as my colleagues.

Various schemes for the dividing of Nigeria into many administrations have been put forward in the Press and elsewhere, but it has been considered advisable to retain the old and well-known boundaries, at any rate for the present and until circumstances demand a change, more especially because the Northern and Southern Provinces are at present under two different sets of laws, the unification of which must necessarily be a task of magnitude which will take time to effect.

I had hoped to be able to recommend to the Secretary of State some scheme for a Legislative Council of Nigeria, but at present and until communications by railway are greatly extended the proposition is physically impossible. The Legislative Council of Nigeria, if it is to represent the public opinion of Nigeria, must draw its Unofficial Members alike from Calabar and Lagos in the South, and from the Minefields and Kano in the North. To no place, however central, could the busy merchants and others find time to come in order to attend the Councils meetings. It would be manifestly unjust to place the Mohammedan Emirates of the North and the Mining interests on the Bauchi Plateau under a Council sitting on the Coast, in which they could have no representation. The only alternative is that the Legislative Council of the Colony shall in the future limit its sphere to the guidance and control of the Legislature of the Colony.

And let me here remind you of the enormous extent of Nigeria, Its area comprises over 330,000 square miles – more than 5 times the size of England and Scotland, or one-third the size of British India. The European population is scattered over this area. The largest community is probably at the Minefields in the Bauchi Province, the next largest at Lagos nearly 1,000 miles distant. There are other centres widely separated from each other at Calabar and other Coast towns, at Zungeru and at Kano, while the Niger Company which has the largest capital of any single firm, has its headquarters at Burutu.

Other means than a single Legislative Council must therefore be right by which, on the one hand, not only local public opinion of the Principals of the Commercial and Mining. Firms, and of other Institutions which have interests in the country, may be given an opportunity of expressing itself, and on the other hand, that the officers of the ripest experience and the most proved ability may be consulted regarding proposed Legislation and on affairs of moment. To effect these objects the Secretary of State has approved firstly of an Executive Council for Nigeria which shall consist of the senior officers of the whole Administration, secondly, of a deliberative and advisory Council, to be called the Nigerian Council, which shall meet not less often than once a year, and thirdly, that all proposed Ordinances with a few necessary exceptions shall be published in the Gazette for two months prior to enactment, so that opinion may be freely expressed before a law is enacted.

The Members of the Executive Council named in the Royal Instructions are:-

The Lieutenant-Governors of the Southern and Northern Provinces, the Administrator of the Colony, the Attorney-General, the Director of Railways and Works, the Commandant of the Troops, the Director of Medical Services, the Treasurer, the Director of Marine and the Comptroller of Customs.

The official Members of the Nigerian Council will include the Members of the Executive Council and all 1st Class Residents or Commissioners, the Central Secretary, the Secretaries in the Northern and Southern Provinces and the Political Secretary. The Unofficial Members will include a member of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and of any Chamber of Commerce which may be established in Calabar, and a Member of the Local Chamber of Mines, – all resident in Nigeria and to be nominated by those bodies together with four additional European and six Native gentlemen nominated by the Governor-General. The former to be representative of Commerce, Shipping, Mining and Banking, the latter to be representative of the Native population both of the Coast and of the Interior.

The Official Membership of the Legislative Council of the Colony has been somewhat altered by the new Royal Instructions, in order that those officers whose work is especially concerned with the Colony may take part in the its deliberations. The they will for the present by the Administrator, the Legal Adviser, the Municipal Engineer, the Senior Municipal Sanitary Officer, the Assistant Treasurer, the Harbour Master, the Commissioner of Lands and the Commercial Intelligence Officer,

The Official Members of the old Council have been re-appointed by His Majesty to the new Council with the exception of Mr. Millar and Dr. Johnson who have resigned and whose places have not yet be filled.

All three Councils will be presided over by the Governor-General.

Southern Nigeria was, as you know, divided into three provinces, the Eastern, Central and Western, each under a Provincial Commissioner. In future the Southern Provinces will be nine in number, each of the old Provinces being divided into three. Each Province will be under a Commissioner or Resident assisted by an adequate staff. Departmental officers will be directly under the Head of their own Department.

I come now to the Judiciary, concerning which there has I think, been some misapprehension. It was recognized alike by my …… and by the Chief Justice that the extension of Supreme Court jurisdiction into the Interior was inadvisable and, before I came to Nigeria, steps had already been taken to curtail its jurisdiction. Schemes were already under consideration for the creation of separate Courts in the Interior district. These schemes have now matured.

It is obvious that there can only be one Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, and for this high office the Secretary of State has selected Sir Edwin Speed, who has experience in both Northern and Southern Nigeria and has much longer in Nigeria than his colleague Mr. Willoughby Osborne, It gives me great regret that by force of circumstances, the country will lose the valuable services and ripe experience of Mr. Willoughby Osborne, and I am aware of the high estimation in which his services are held both here and at home. In saying good-bye to Nigeria he will have the satisfaction of feeling that he has discharged the functions of his high office with distinguished success. To His Honour Chief Justice Sir Edwin Speed I tender my congratulations on his appointment and I am confident that while he holds his high office, the proud traditions of British Justice will ever be worthily maintained.

The curtailment of the territorial jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, and the creation of Provincial Courts necessitates some changes in the existing law, and I am indebted to Sir Edwin Speed for the drafts of the new Ordinances which, with slight and unimportant alterations, will be enacted to give effect to his proposals. They will involve for the present some diminution in the powers of the Native Courts, but it is my earnest desire to see those Courts advance in ability and to maintain their prestige under purely Native Judges guided and supervised by the Commissioners of Provinces.

The Scheme of Assizes and the method of conducting the business of the Supreme Court are in accordance with the proposals of the new Chief Justice. In future there will be a Court vacation for four months during the rains, and for the remainder of the year the Court will be in Session with its full complement of one Chief Justice and three or more Puisne Judges. The powers of the Provincial Courts are strictly limited and no sentence of over six months’ imprisonment is operative until it has been confirmed. A Magistracy, whose officers are Commissioners of the Supreme Court is set up for the Northern and Southern Provinces.

In the sphere of Departmental Administration there are some changes of interest. The Railway, Marine and Customs Departments have already, as you are aware, been centralised as common to both South and Northern Nigeria. They remain outside the local administration of the Northern and Southern Provinces. In addition to these three departments the Judicial, the Military, the Treasury and the Posts and Telegraphs” become Central Departments. The Military Forces are organized into one Regiment with five Battallions and two Batteries under Colonel Carter, C.B, CMG as Commandant, with Lieutenant-Colonel Cunliffe as Assistant Commandant. Mr. Dale takes charges of the Treasury, and Mr. Somerville of the Posts and Telegraphs. A Director of the Medical Service and an Attorney General will act as Advisers to the Governor-General in their respective Departments. In the former case the Medical Departments of the Northern and Southern Provinces will remain distinct, while two legal Advisers will assist the Lieutenant-Governors who with the Administrator of the Colony, will have separate……… of local business. Mr. Cameron becomes the Secretary for the Central Administration, Major Moorhouse for the Southern and Mr. Matthews for the Northern Provinces.

His Majesty the King has been pleased to approve of a new Badge for the flag of United Nigeria and of a new Seal. In future there will be only one Official Gazette.

This, in brief outline, is the scheme of Amalgamation which takes effect today. The Gazette Extraordinary published this afternoon will to a large extent fill in the details. It is impossible that any scheme which could have been devised should satisfy all the conflicting theories which have been propounded. The proposals I have made have the merit of simplicity. They cause no great dislocation, which would have been most disadvantageous at a moment of transition when divergent policies and methods have to be reconciled.

I take this opportunity of publicly informing you that the Secretary of State has approved the construction of a new railway, which starting from the head of the Bonny estuary, will run northwards across the Benue river and join the Lagos Kano Railway where it crosses the Kaduna river some 50 miles South of Zaria. This important work will, I am convinced, enormously add to the wealth and prosperity of Nigeria.

Already the benefits of the partial Amalgamation, which has been in operation for the past year, have resulted in increased prosperity. The estimated Revenue of 1914 is almost exactly a million sterling greater than the estimated Revenue for 1912. When my predecessor from this chair in 1906 announced the Amalgamation of Southern Nigeria and Lagos he stated that the Revenue of Southern Nigeria was just over a millions. The estimated revenue of Nigeria this year stands at 31 millions, and Trade has increased from 5 millions to nearly 15 millions in this period of under 8 years.

If we remember that it is only fourteen years to-day since the King’s Government assumed control of the greater part of the Interior from the Royal Niger Company, the progress which has been made is astonishing.

In maintaining and increasing that progress I look to the co-operation of the European and Native races, who must work together for the good of the country. It is and always has been my policy to support the Native Chiefs, and to work through them. I have not invited any of them from the Interior to be present here because the announcement of the new changes which take place to-day is being made in the capitals of the various Provinces throughout Nigeria.

Today Nigeria enters on a new stage of its progress and we all join in the earnest hope that the era now inaugurated will prove, not only a new departure in material prosperity, but also that the coming years will increase the individual happiness and freedom from oppression and raise the standard of civilization and of comfort of the many millions who inhabit this large country. To these sole ends the effort of my colleagues and myself, with God’s help, will be devoted.

F. D. LUGARD

*This document is culled from The Constitution, journal of constitutional development, a publication of the Centre for Constitutionalism and Demilitarisation, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2013, pp. 106-114.

Can someone research, "Judiciary, concerning which there has I think, been some misapprehension. It was recognized alike by my ……..?

1 Like

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2019
I remember when NNAMDI KANU was shouting at his top voice that the AMALGAMATION TREATY HAS EXPIRED MANY POLITICIANS SAID ITS A LIE THERE NOTHING LIKE AMALGAMATION TREATY WHEN THEY SAW THAT IGBOS ARE NOT BUYING THEY ACCUSE KANU IF WORKING FOR JONATHAN WHY DIDN'T HE SPEAK OF THE TREATY WHEN JONATHAN WAS IN POWER

YOU ALL ARE HOLDING YOURSELVES DOWN AS FOR I AND MY FAMILY WE WILL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO SUPPORT NNAMDI KANU BECAUSE NIGERIA WAS NEVER AND WILL NEVER BE A COUNTRY
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 28, 2019
These topic won't have much comments they will ignore it nothing scare a Nigerian the most to realise Nigeria is not a country....99% of Nairalanders are kids comprising of northerners,muslims, South west, middle belt they are scared of change they can't stand anything new...THEY DON'T CARE WHAT ABOUT HISTORY AND THEIR SUFFERING AS FAR AS ONE GBENGA, AUDU FROM THEIR REGION IS IN POWER

THEY THINKS BOOSTING OF HOW MANY YEARS THEIR REGION HAS HELD POWER HAS A WAY TO CHANGE THEIR LIFE AND THAT OF THEIR CHILDREN
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by exponential1: 6:26pm On Jul 28, 2019
Can you pls give me a reason as to why Azikwe denied Nigeria succession clause in the independence agreement ?

godofuck231:
The british bought nigeria from the southern part of nigeria and rented he north from the sultan , till date the synergy between them is still strong , once the sultan speaks the british effects thats why they see power in nigeria as their own rights , azikiwe knew something but didnt pass it on , when the so called founding fathers found out the truth and threatened to expose it the gave us our independence there by worsening the situation ,now the igbos have found out and want their exit from the cancerous marriage , in line with crude oil discovery but it ended up in a civil war ,
My observation is this , it will not ba an easy feat , they have their roots deep into the nigerian architecture , they can manipulate or sabotage the countrys futureas they wish
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by meeky007(m): 6:59pm On Jul 28, 2019
truth
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by wowcatty: 7:28pm On Jul 28, 2019
You are just confusing yourself and you won't divert this to a baseless point by removing and adding to my comment. What I said is still there in my post.. Gold coast changed back to Ghana and Rhodesias changed to Zimbabwe and others, is still where I stand. Ghana became Gold Coast and then back to Ghana. Zimbabwe, Zambia and others were both of Rhodesias before changing to what they are today.

Yoruba was an independent country with clear boundary that even missionaries who were there saw testified. The point you wanted to suppress in my post is the fact that you all are afraid of being the true you and want to be lumped up and hide behind others to keep this unworkable jungle called Nigeria going. And I repeat your fears, why can't ethnic nationalities within Nigeria change back to their previous name like Yoruba country and what others are known by them? Everyone is known by a name even if they were hidden in the forest, what exactly is the point of keeping the useless name like 'Nigeria' when it's been more than a curse?
Yyeske:
You are the one who doesn't understand here, you earlier said Ghana and Zimbabwe had to change to their original name, nobody is contesting the fact that both changed names from Gold coast and Rhodesia but before the change to their present names, were they both called Ghana and Zimbabwe at any time, later changed to Gold coast and Rhodesia but after independence decided to revert back to their old names?

As for your Yoruba country and going through your link, you earlier made it sound as if they had a united government government whereas the writer was only talking about his sojourn among the Yorubas, nothing like a political union was mentioned.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by wowcatty: 7:43pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ask him to keep his mouth shut if he doesn't know what he's saying.

tsdarkside:

forgive him....

u cant know everything,the same way he knows things you may not know....
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by tsdarkside(m): 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
wowcatty:
Ode, you keep your mouth shut if you don't know what to say.

sharrap....!!

you think i will keep quiet when you abuse him....!?

sharrap their....!!!!
na you be ode....

2 Likes

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by tsdarkside(m): 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2019
wowcatty:
You are just confusing yourself and you won't divert this to a baseless point by removing and adding to my comment. What I said is still there in my post.. Gold coast changed back to Ghana and Rhodesias changed to Zimbabwe and others, is still where I stand. Ghana was Ghana before Gold Coast and then back to Ghana. Zimbabwe, Zambia and others were both of Rhodesias before changing to what they are today.

Yoruba was an independent country with clear boundary that even missionaries who were there saw testified. The point you wanted to suppress in my post is the fact that you all are afraid of being the true you and want to be lumped up and hide behind others to keep this unworkable jungle called Nigeria going. And I repeat your fears, why can't ethnic nationalities within Nigeria change back to their previous name like Yoruba country and what others are known by them? Everyone is known by a name even if they were hidden in the forest, what exactly is the point of keeping the useless name like 'Nigeria' when it's been more than a curse?

their is no such thing as Yoruba country....

we didnt used country system....what we had was either empires or loose ethnic groups....
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by Yyeske(m): 9:27pm On Jul 28, 2019
tsdarkside:

we didnt used country system....what we had was either empires or loose ethnic groups....
That one that doesn't know the history of his village
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by JonDon12: 9:29pm On Jul 28, 2019
This is true. Anyone that speaks latin, spanish or italian will tell you that.

The indigineous name of the river Niger is the Quorra. The river Niger was thought to only be in the senegal area. Originally it was thought to be two rivers but when they found it was one, They renamed the Quorra, Niger.

The Romans named the River Niger. The latin word for Black is Niger. So Nigeria basically means land of the blacks.
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by budaatum: 9:33pm On Jul 28, 2019
See Yoruba as a country, linguistically speaking.

I reckon if all these places were separate countries we'd be at war and there'd definitely be much fewer people.

Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by wowcatty: 9:34pm On Jul 28, 2019
Why then were we called Yoruba country? And not "empires" or loose groups?" Don't drag Oyo empire into this, it has nothing to do with this very context.
tsdarkside:

we didnt used country system....what we had was either 'empires" or "loose groups"....
Re: The Shocking History Of Nigeria We Were Never Told by godofuck231: 10:07pm On Jul 28, 2019
exponential1:
Can you pls give me a reason as to why Azikwe denied Nigeria succession clause in the independence agreement ?

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the east and West uneconomic for the North.

. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living.

He also had a deep attachment to the North , his spiritual ties with it was his place of birth , it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thunder Will Strike Anybody That Give God The Credit When Coronavirus Is Over / 2023: Bawa DId Not Advise INEC Not To Sell Forms To Anyone - EFCC / Gov Nyesom Wike Allegedly Drunk During A Live Program On Channels Television.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.