Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,254 members, 7,953,954 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:41 AM

The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. (19416 Views)

How You Can Customize Your First Bank ATM Cards / Stop Using Easy Passwords For Your ATM Cards, Mobile banki. A Nairalander Warns. / UBA Bans The Use Of ATM For Some Transaction Such As Betting And Many Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2019
alobright17:
In other countries they'll even give you the card and thank you so that you'll be very happy not to cause a scene for people to laugh at there ATM machine ..... I never knew same can't be said about Nigeria sef. who did we offend ?

Ask me ooo
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by 9jatriot(m): 5:01pm On Jul 30, 2019
ithink7:
I de tell you. Lol

The guy saw money in my wallet and took everything. He said it is illegal to cross border with cash. I felt like breaking his neck but he had guns. I later figured how guys go about it.

Lol... those guys are bad. How, if I may ask because they search everywhere.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ejemamaka: 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2019
fact
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by gmaribel(m): 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2019
I traveled from Abuja to Edo (akpkpava) and I wanted to withdraw some cash to book my hotel and other expenses. I use Polaris but the nearest ATM was ecobank
As I slotted in my ATM and put my pin it was as if time stood still I waited for good 10mins without any response from the ATM
I was a stranger and it was getting dark. I started sweating unusually.... Security what is wrong with the ATM machine... Oga na network just wait small....this was after nearly 20mins

I was confused. No button on the machine was responding and I didn't have up to 1k cash. I Started praying at 25mins
Suddenly the machine responded after nearly 30mins

Welcome what transaction do you wish to make. With speed I just removed my card and asked direction to my bank which wasn't even far off.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 5:02pm On Jul 30, 2019
NOBODYY:
One of the most stupid policy ever in the history of this country is the permanent forfeiture of your card if it gets swallowed by an AT-machine of another bank

What exactly is the logic behind this? What sense does it make?

There was a day I was travelling on a Friday afternoon and I decided to quickly withdraw with a polaris atm card at an access ATM stand.. The atm swallowed my card and the stupid bank staff and gatemen asked me to go to my bank to request for another card.

To request for another card another 3:50pm when I needed cash urgently to travel??

This is my point exactly. It should be stopped . Pls tweet it if possible
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by KingBaba1(m): 5:09pm On Jul 30, 2019
pocohantas:
1. The word is retracted.

2. Debit card, not "ATM card". After all, you use it on other terminals that are not ATMs.

3. If it is an on-us transaction, then your bank (irrespective of the branch) should give you your debit card immediately.

4. If it is a remote-on-us transaction, the other bank owes you nothing. Direct your grievance to CBN.

5. I agree with you, it is a very harsh decision. I wonder what they were thinking, I wonder their reason too. I will ask around.

6. This is 2019, it is not a herculean task to get a debit card. Banks have instant cards, they can even emboss your "guy name" on it for you. grin
Good write up...But what if its on weekend? No new debit card till working days of the week
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by brownskilo(m): 5:09pm On Jul 30, 2019
Most of the banks atm cards dont have the usersname inscribed on it. I think that should be the reason why they dont like giving out retained cards
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Damfostopper(m): 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2019
my bank has swallowed my ATM before...... I just went inside to collect it since it was on a working day..... d never Born dem well to come tell me stories......

I have also been using other banks ATM..... and it hasn't retract my card before.....

I didn't know that if it gets retracted by another bank ATM that your bank will now charged you a new fee for a new ATM.....well maybe they want customers to use only their banks atm......

well..... am gonna retweet this on twitter.... copying the CBN handle along
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by OlujobaSamuel: 5:16pm On Jul 30, 2019
lonelydora:
People that do not summon courage to shout in the bank, how do you people do it? The best place to create scene is in the bank.

As long as it's your bank (even if it's not your branch), they have every right to bring it out and give to you.

First Bank got a share of my anger last year with this ATM card issue.
Lol, banks and network providers are the only organisation I tried to remove sanity when dealing with them. I've noticed they don't like dealing with sane people whenever you have an issue with them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ENG0701: 5:29pm On Jul 30, 2019
wonlasewonimi:
What is wrong with you people fighting unnecessarily? Do you all use just one account ni? Once your card is retained, just move funds into another account and go and withdraw it...Abi am I missing something?

Some people have just one ATM card.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 5:34pm On Jul 30, 2019
gmaribel:
I traveled from Abuja to Edo (akpkpava) and I wanted to withdraw some cash to book my hotel and other expenses. I use Polaris but the nearest ATM was ecobank
As I slotted in my ATM and put my pin it was as if time stood still I waited for good 10mins without any response from the ATM
I was a stranger and it was getting dark. I started sweating unusually.... Security what is wrong with the ATM machine... Oga na network just wait small....this was after nearly 20mins

I was confused. No button on the machine was responding and I didn't have up to 1k cash. I Started praying at 25mins
Suddenly the machine responded after nearly 30mins

Welcome what transaction do you wish to make. With speed I just removed my card and asked direction to my bank which wasn't even far off.

Na God save you ooo

2 Likes

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ENG0701: 5:35pm On Jul 30, 2019
This reminds me of my own annoying experience. I tried my Zenith ATM card with UBA ATM which retracted my card. Went inside to ask for my card, story, they didn't give it back to me. I needed the cash to buy fuel cos I was driving from Niger state to Abuja, I had to drive down with an almost empty tank.

From people's story, seems these banks only respond to you if you act crazily.

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ithink7: 5:38pm On Jul 30, 2019
Cross using one of those known okada boys over there.
You give your money to the okada man to hold it for you. You need to "look face" though, so you don't enter one chance.

9jatriot:

Lol... those guys are bad. How, if I may ask because they search everywhere.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by wonlasewonimi: 5:38pm On Jul 30, 2019
ENG0701:

Some people have just one ATM card.

That's not proper. It is called single point of failure. You should have atleast 3.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Bosun13: 5:44pm On Jul 30, 2019
AryaSand:

Exactly.
.....e don tei wey i foget about this country called Nigeria...i do pray to God incase if i die and God reincarnate me God shld pls find another country put me and not to put me as another creature except human....Nigeria!!! Mba.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Duggedised12(f): 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2019
alobright17:
In other countries they'll even give you the card and thank you so that you'll be very happy not to cause a scene for people to laugh at there ATM machine ..... I never knew same can't be said about Nigeria sef. who did we offend ?
it wasn't like this before. As at 2010 when my card got swallowed by an ATM, went inside and was asked to present a means of identification, that was it, dont really know that year they changed the law, Seems things are getting worse.smh
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2019
brownskilo:
Most of the banks atm cards dont have the usersname inscribed on it. I think that should be the reason why they dont like giving out retained cards

Not in all cases
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Curry30: 6:27pm On Jul 30, 2019
DameB:
Why should banks return your card to you? When they make 1k naira each time you request for a new card?
It's all about the dough for these banks

You forgot #50 VAT and #52.50 monthly maintenance fee for the entire lifespan of that card

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by tommenoh(m): 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2019
Mehn! E d pain pass boil 4 yansh! I had this experience with UBA, using my Polaris atm.the stupid machine was dispensing cash until it got to my turn, n after inputting my pin, it suddenly rebooted, traping d card! N I was on my way to see an important client, with a drop Keke I asked to wait, while I withdraw t. Fare.
On getting to customer care, the yeye guy said I should go to my bank n Lodge a complaint. I told him e no go happen o. Na una machine reboot, not me, put in wrong pin, so get ur arse up n go bring it! He was adamant n na so we stand, d halla until manager come down. He asked what was amiss n after explaining, gave my ID n finally, d guy was sent in to bring out my card. N I learnt later, that the machine in question, was renowned for that.
Go n complain ke, wey na una machine, mess up! I gree die thr

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by naptu2: 6:51pm On Jul 30, 2019
okemejames:
There is something more disappointing and devastating when you get to the ATM stand only to find out it can't dispense cash. This is usually more painful after staying on the queue for a long time maybe under an angry sun. A more disheartening scenario is when your card is retained by your own Bank ATM and the situation becomes more critical when it happened during the weekend especially after the closure of Banks. It becomes very painful when an emergency is at hand .
These cases are not as serious as when your ATM card is retained by the ATM of another bank other than yours. That can really be heartbreaking as no matter the English you speak the customer agent will direct you to your bank for a new ATM card. They'll tell you it is a directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). We all know how these ATMs malfunction sometimes and whenever that occurs and your card happen to be inside is an endgame; the only response you will get is that your card has been compromised. Worst is the case when you consider the rigmarole as it's an Herculean task to get a new card as the process is as difficult as looking for a bank or an establishment without a standby generator.
The importance of ATM can't be overemphasized as it has in tremendous ways assisted the banking system and the economy of the Nation at large. Transactions had been eased and businesses done easily but the impediment of a retained card is indeed catastrophic.
As long as a proof of ownership can be presented, I see no reason why a retained ATM card won't be released. It may now become a thing of trial and error or risk to make withdrawals from other bank ATMs. It's high time a bill is passed by the National Assembly or whoever in charge in respect to this reoccurring decimal. CBN should carefully look into this situation and reconsider their policy as it pertain this challenge. It cost time and money to get a new ATM card; even energy is also exerted in the process.
We all know that one of the customer's bill of rights is that the customer is the most important person in the economy and every business succeeds only when the customer is happy; therefore the customers should be regarded as a king. It will be a thing of joy if this policy is revisited and reconsidered for the benefit of all and for a better relationship in respect to the economy and the Nation at large. Thank You.

By:
Jerome Okeme

(Pls this article should be shared to all various social media platforms so that it can reach relevant authorities)

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Dominique
Naptu2

I am not a mod o!

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by oladele239(m): 7:48pm On Jul 30, 2019
#rev

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Godmademan(m): 8:26pm On Jul 30, 2019
lonelydora:
People that do not summon courage to shout in the bank, how do you people do it? The best place to create scene is in the bank.

As long as it's your bank (even if it's not your branch), they have every right to bring it out and give to you.

Rubbish Nonsense....Card was compromised by who? Replacing our card means more money to the banks. I experienced this Sh*t and I ensured I collected my card...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by OROSUNBOLB(m): 8:53pm On Jul 30, 2019
lonelydora:

You will soon meet your match,trust me!
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by darqly(m): 8:56pm On Jul 30, 2019
When your card is retained by another bank, you cannot be assured of the integrity of the card. This is because you don't know who has had access to the card details, PAN, Security and expiration date. I'm sure you know that is all that is needed for card-not-present transactions to be approved? Even your own bank will insist you indemnify them before they return your card back to you after it has been retained.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Akexstinger(m): 8:57pm On Jul 30, 2019
Mine was retracted this evening. I used GTB and i tried sterling AT machine. Tomorrow morning I am going to Sterling Bank to shout.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by lonelydora: 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

Lol, banks and network providers are the only organisation I tried to remove sanity when dealing with them. I've noticed they don't like dealing with sane people whenever you have an issue with them.

I swear. They really don't like sane people. So we give it to them in the 'madest' way. grin grin
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by lonelydora: 9:28pm On Jul 30, 2019
marostan:

Was your card given back to you after a share of your anger?

Don't you trust me? See, banks don't like normal/sane people. So I always give it to them in the possible 'madest' way.

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by femarse: 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2019
well the thing is everyone think about the pain , it's truly painful especially if u are short on funds , however this policy is done for the safety of your money , prior to this policy , this is how retracted cards are treated , ur card from bank A trapped in the machine of bank B asaba branch , bank B asaba branch will send the card to bank B head office in Lagos, bank B head office will send the card to Bank A head office , bank A head office will send the card to bank A asaba branch , as u can see this is a serious long journey and along the line , the card keep changing hand ,

The problem is during this long journey, the card security can be compromised, pan, ccv, and card type , be it master or visa and the bank that issue the card are exposed to different group of people , and u can't say that all this group that saw this card during this long journey are all going to be honest , all this information are confidential information that should be know only by you and the bank.

Secondly there is no way bank B is going to identify you as the true owner of the card, many people said ID , we all know ID can be compromised , so the only person that can truly say the card is yours is your bank , through their own verification system , I can give my card to my bro to go help me get cash , he forgot the pin , card got trap , he went in an claim he is the owner and they just hand it to him ? wrong , my card can be stolen or my friend has seen me press my pin sometimes ago, he stole the card and went to the ATM to try is luck , however I have changed pin , he tried what he saw three times , card trapped , u remember ur card was in ur wallet and suddenly it's missing because ur friend can no longer return the card

It's for this lots of compromised that can befell confidential information that he policy to destroyed the card was issued . if the courier for bank B is honest , u can't say that for Bank A and besides with time , this guys will wisen up and realize they can make money from the card they are always caring up and down and then the swindling begins
simply copy out he card info and u are good to go

it's painful but it's for the integrity of ur money
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by geeboy: 9:42pm On Jul 30, 2019
xtrim1:
Once an ATM retracts my card, I simply deactivate the card via internet banking and request for a new card. I don't trust bank staff not to copy my PAN and CVV_
tell them
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ohem007(m): 9:52pm On Jul 30, 2019
Akexstinger:
Mine was retracted this evening. I used GTB and i tried sterling AT machine. Tomorrow morning I am going to Sterling Bank to shout.

Abeg remember to give them hell...

Unleash hell if they try to prove nonsense
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by karoenajemo(m): 11:11pm On Jul 30, 2019
Nna eh! Boss you too much for the write up abeg. Na make them see am be our prayer and come effect am. It is well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reject Dirty Naira Notes From The Bank- CBN / Elon Musk Says He'll Be Paying $11 Billion In Tax This Year / Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.