Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Bayelsa Community Feasts On Dead Whale - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Bayelsa Community Feasts On Dead Whale (523 Views)

Whale Statue Stops Train From Falling Off / Killer Whale Spotted Pushing Dead Calf For Two Days / Lady Serves As Best Man At A Wedding Ceremony In Bayelsa State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bayelsa Community Feasts On Dead Whale by sammyj: 7:34pm On Jul 30, 2019
There was great excitement at the weekend in Ijaw-Kiri, a fishing community in Brass Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

Reason: Residents found a dead whale washed ashore.

They immediately rushed home to bring out axes, knives, and cutlasses, butchering the huge fish — an endangered specie.

Neighbouring communities of Odioma and Okpoama were said to have rushed down to the shore to partake in the feast.

Some stood atop the massive creature, cutting its flesh. The water turned red as blood flowed from the whale’s body.

A man came with a saw.

Read Also; Ijaw youths shut down 10 telecom masts in Bayelsa
Some frowned on feasting on dead aquatic animals without the knowledge of what killed it; others believed it was all God-sent.

One of them, who identified himself as Shadrack, said: “The fish I was eating was not too big. I then complained to God and he promised I would eat a bigger fish soon. God sent this overgrown whale to a city in Nigeria that is in the middle of the sea. My sister said she was tired of eating the big blue whale and I told her to bring the oil that was extracted from it to me. Early part of last month, I remember that some fishermen from Odioma in Brass caught a dolphin”.

A social media commentator, Akinola Ajibade, blamed it on hunger while others insisted it was a meal from God.

“This sea creature was washed ashore. It was not killed. This happens once in a while in the oceanic communities of Brass Local Government Area. I have had the privilege of seeing whales being washed ashore and natives helping themselves,” said Ambrose Alfred.

But Ibarakumo Walson warned people against eating dead creatures they could not establish their cause of death.

“In the past, Ijaw communities dragged such floating fishes and animals into their homes only to be infested with cholera and other strange ailments. It is really absurd to see people trying to eat something, whose cause of death isn’t known. Who knows if the whale has been poisoned,” he said.

Source: https://thenationonlineng.net/bayelsa-community-feasts-on-dead-whale/

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Myself / TECNO Computer Village Annual Live Carnival / Appreciation Message From The Office Of The National Coordinator PDP Coalition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.