Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? (1740 Views)

.............super Tech Oil Review..........high Mileage / Accidented Or High Mileage / A/C Refrigerant For High Mileage Vehicles With Stop Leak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by Sharmeenator(m): 7:42pm On Jul 31, 2019
I drive a 2003 Honda Civic in good condition, not my first car though. The guy I bought it from serviced the car with Total 20W 50 Engine oil which I know isn't recommended but easily available in Nigerian market. Although I used the same oil at my first servicing, but Honda recommended oil is the synthetic 5W20 or 0W20 which is costlier as you all know. I read long ago that it can be dangerous to outrightly switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil especially on older engines and engines with high mileage. My car mileage is currently around 200k.

My questions are these:

1. Should I continue with the 20W50 oil since my engine is already used to it or change to the recommended one?

2. If I'm to change to the recommended oil, should I bother about oil leakage or not and what about sludges?

3. In the market, I saw other brands of synthetic oil other than Mobil, Castrol, Total amongst other. These other brands are cheaper, but I don't know if they are good enough. What cheap 5W20 or 0W20 can you recommend?

Cc:
Greenhulk
HeavenlyBang
Mayor555
Gazzuzz
Captainking
Automotive1
diportivo
Ikenna351
Larrixauto2017
Autojosh
Nurey
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by hisgrace090: 7:52pm On Jul 31, 2019
Switch to manufacturers recommendation imediatly and enjoy.

I myself goes further by connecting back my thermostat and my 2002 Toyota Camry became wow!
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by nurey(m): 8:16pm On Jul 31, 2019
Sharmeenator:
I drive a 2003 Honda Civic in good condition, not my first car though. The guy I bought it from serviced the car with Total 20W 50 Engine oil which I know isn't recommended but easily available in Nigerian market. Although I used the same oil at my first servicing, but Honda recommended oil is the synthetic 5W20 or 0W20 which is costlier as you all know. I read long ago that it can be dangerous to outrightly switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil especially on older engines and engines with high mileage. My car mileage is currently around 200k.

My questions are these:

1. Should I continue with the 20W50 oil since my engine is already used to it or change to the recommended one?

2. If I'm to change to the recommended oil, should I bother about oil leakage or not and what about sludges?

3. In the market, I saw other brands of synthetic oil other than Mobil, Castrol, Total amongst other. These other brands are cheaper, but I don't know if they are good enough. What cheap 5W20 or 0W20 can you recommen

For question 1 and 2 depends on how long the vehicle has been on 20w50 and the maintenance of the former owner. If it's a while ago just keep to 20w50 and change every 3k km or 3months which ever arrives first.

The other alternative is to open the top valve cover and see engine internals that will alley your fears and worry.

Mobil oil is not the best thing to happen after Afro grin as long as the oil manufacturer is well known and the oil has good reviews both online or from car experts you are good to go. I don't expect you to see soapy synthetic oil 5w20 also made in Ladipo Nigeria and believe it is a good oil
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by bjt(m): 8:28pm On Jul 31, 2019
nurey:

For question 1 and 2 depends on how long the vehicle has been on 20w50 and the maintenance of the former owner. If it's a while ago just keep to 20w50 and change every 3k km or 3months which ever arrives first.

The other alternative is to open the top valve cover and see engine internals that will alley your fears and worry.

Mobil oil is not the best thing to happen after Afro grin as long as the oil manufacturer is well known and the oil has good reviews both online or from car experts you are good to go. I don't expect you to see soapy synthetic oil 5w20 also made in Ladipo Nigeria and believe it is a good oil

grin grin grin grin Those guys in Ladipo are wonderful creatures
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:02pm On Jul 31, 2019
Sharmeenator:

My questions are these:

3. In the market, I saw other brands of synthetic oil other than Mobil, Castrol, Total amongst other. These other brands are cheaper, but I don't know if they are good enough. What cheap 5W20 or 0W20 can you recommend?

Cc:
Greenh ulk
Heave nlyBang
May or555
Gazz uzz
Capta inking
Autom otive1
dipo rtivo
Ikenn a351
Larrixauto2 017
Autoj osh
Nure y

pour 0w40 and be happy.
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by Sharmeenator(m): 9:04pm On Jul 31, 2019
nurey:

Bro, kindly shed more light on the bolded
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by Sharmeenator(m): 9:06pm On Jul 31, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

pour 0w40 and be happy.

Baba Gazzuzz, are you for real? I detest sarcasm
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by kernniejay(m): 9:20pm On Jul 31, 2019
Firstly, confirm if you have sludge buildup in your engine, sludge is the thicken engine oil that has become a paste and settles down the engine sump. (sludge builds as a result of not doing your lubrication service as and when due). If there is, you need to dislodge the sludge gradually and completely, make sure the engine chamber is totally clean, then begin to apply the recommended 5w30 and do your service regularly.
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by nurey(m): 9:34pm On Jul 31, 2019
Sharmeenator:

Bro, kindly shed more light on the bolded

Your engine has a valve cover which has the Honda insignia and vtec, it's not a diy thing for a novice.

you have to unbolt the engine cover, plug wires then remove bolts once the valve cover is off you will see the engine internals and can determine the extent of sludge in an engine or if the engine is sludge free.

Majorly advice like this isn't given because the bond used to hold the valve cover gasket and the cover together may not be as solid as factory fitted one, so every 2 to 3 years you have to reapply cause engine oil will sip from the cracks.
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:01pm On Jul 31, 2019
Sharmeenator:

Baba Gazzuzz, are you for real? I detest sarcasm

no sarcasm involved. You vehicle is an ancestor and has no business near synthetic oils. But if u must, stick with a heavy weight

1 Like

Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by uboma(m): 5:32am On Aug 01, 2019
nurey:

Your engine has a valve cover which has the Honda insignia and vtec, it's not a diy thing for a novice.

you have to unbolt the engine cover, plug wires then remove bolts once the valve cover is off you will see the engine internals and can determine the extent of sludge in an engine or if the engine is sludge free.

Majorly advice like this isn't given because the bond used to hold the valve cover gasket and the cover together may not be as solid as factory fitted one, so every 2 to 3 years you have to reapply cause engine oil will sip from the cracks.

From your last paragraph, why did you even suggest that he removes the top valve cover?
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by nurey(m): 5:48am On Aug 01, 2019
uboma:

From your last paragraph, why did you even suggest that he removes the top valve cover?

That is a very good question.

The Valve cover job isn't a tough one really and can be done to factory spec with the right Bond which is expensive than the regular ones.

The major reason why I normally don't dish out the advice is because of "resale" when buyer comes to inspect and notice the valve cover or seals around engine has been redone before they feel engine has had a major problem. To be candid Honda engines are highly susceptible to oil seal leak from around the engine.

Also I prefer to know what's going on in my engine inorder to safe guard myself against the eventuality remember in this context I used "I" siting myself as an example also it's an advice he has to weigh the pros and cons and decide which works best for him.
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by Sharmeenator(m): 12:31pm On Aug 02, 2019
Thanks boss. Your advice is noted
GAZZUZZ:

no sarcasm involved. You vehicle is an ancestor and has no business near synthetic oils. But if u must, stick with a heavy weight
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by Sharmeenator(m): 12:37pm On Aug 02, 2019
Thanks boss. Ur advise is always on point.
nurey:

That is a very good question.

The Valve cover job isn't a tough one really and can be done to factory spec with the right Bond which is expensive than the regular ones.

The major reason why I normally don't dish out the advice is because of "resale" when buyer comes to inspect and notice the valve cover or seals around engine has been redone before they feel engine has had a major problem. To be candid Honda engines are highly susceptible to oil seal leak from around the engine.

Also I prefer to know what's going on in my engine inorder to safe guard myself against the eventuality remember in this context I used "I" siting myself as an example also it's an advice he has to weigh the pros and cons and decide which works best for him.
Re: Should I Change To Synthetic Oil For A High Mileage Engine? by xcitedjay(m): 9:02pm On Aug 29, 2019
At this stage you shouldn't be bothering yourself about the manufacturer oil spec because you might just be blowing money unnecessarily. The engine for that generation of civic is so cheap you could get it for free if you're worried about damage to your engine.

You can switch to a lighter 15w40 Total 7000 tho.

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo HONDA CRV 2008 Model Available For Sale / SOLD! SOLD!! SOLD!!! Honda Civic 2007 In Akure Ondo State / WELL PIMPED '04 COROLLA SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.