Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration (14372 Views)

Google Adsense: Invalid Traffic Concerns. Help (photo) / Does Anyone Offer Monthly Hosting And Domain Name Registration / How To Get A Free .COM Domain Name Registration For Life Without Paying A Dime. (2) (3) (4)

Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 6:01am On Aug 01, 2019
nairaland.ng like for nairaland

On a serious note, seun need to buy this domain now for future reference.

Proudly .ng
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 6:02am On Aug 01, 2019
Why did they make the price high. .ng for 12k while we get .com at 4k or less.

.ng should be 500 or 1000 if they want people to promote the extension for them.

I cant buy .ng at High price and still suffer to promote it.

Believe me everybody like .com
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by orazx: 6:07am On Aug 01, 2019
https://pears.ourcontest.io/r5K3c0/qtM35?w=76934205&e=223561562 ...Please Nairalanders I need your vote..

Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 6:07am On Aug 01, 2019
Even Nairaland is .com
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 01, 2019
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by SmartMugu: 6:27am On Aug 01, 2019
Nairaland.ng?
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Engrduke: 6:32am On Aug 01, 2019
Only two things are needed to improve the Nigerian domain names patronage.
1) Serious awareness
2)Motivation.

I wish the next Ministers of Information and Communication have the required ICT exposure to work on these factors.
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 01, 2019
Agbanasm:
Nigerians don't value what they have
why should one spend more on $hit
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by acounter2(m): 6:38am On Aug 01, 2019
Lovelyn451:
Anyone in kano, I need a job please...thanks

Where do u stay in kano?
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Horlufemi(m): 6:49am On Aug 01, 2019
.ng 13k
.com 4k

Struggling starting business in a harsh economy would think twice. .com is already standard. Why waste more money on .ng that is 2 to 3 times more expensive.
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by fuckboys: 6:49am On Aug 01, 2019
Lovelyn451:
can you work as a marketer in singer market?
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by DigitalAssetPro(m): 6:50am On Aug 01, 2019
Not sure they are yet ready for serious businesses...

Our dot com is cool for now.. Let wait another 30yrs and see how your Dot NG will grow.

In another news, Order for this business life changing Ebook that will flood your business space with ready to buy customers irrespective of your brand or services.

Check my signature for contact
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Bluffly: 6:52am On Aug 01, 2019
akelicious:

Nigeria’s domain name in cyberspace is .ng, South Africa is .za, United States is .com, and United Kingdom is .uk

https://www.akelicious.net/concerns-mount-over-africas-domain-name-registration/

United state is .us and not .com. I'm sure it has lesser registration when compared with .ng
.com is actually generic
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Neocotez(m): 6:55am On Aug 01, 2019
akelicious:
The Nigeria internet Registration Association (NiRA), has raised concern over the low figures recorded in domain name registration in Africa, including Nigeria.

NiRA made the observation during the 2019 Dot NG Media College, organised in Lagos.

Addressing media practitioners during his presentation, titled: ‘Understanding the Domain Name System (DNS) Industry and Local Hosting,” the President of NiRA, Mr. Muhammed Rudman, expressed dissatisfaction over domain name registration in Nigeria and across African countries.

He stressed the need for more engagement with Nigerians and Africans in the areas of generic Top Level Domain Name (gTLD) and country code Top Level Domain Name (ccTLD) that represent a country’s identity in cyberspace.

Nigeria’s domain name in cyberspace is .ng, South Africa is .za, United States is .com, and United Kingdom is .uk

Most Nigerians and Nigerian organisations still use foreign domain names from United States and United Kingdom, thus depopulating the .ng domain name, which is Nigeria’s identity in cyberspace, and populating foreign domain names, he said.

Disturbed by the development, Rudman said there was need for enlightenment of Nigerians on the need to populate Nigeria’s domain name registration.

According to him, the global statistics of ccTLDs showed that as at April 2018, Africa had 3.3 million ccTLDs, America had 13.7 million ccTLDs, Asia had 37.6 million ccTLDs and Europe had 72.2 million ccTLDs.

According to the statistics, in 1994, global domain name registration was 30,000, but as at 2019, the figure had risen to over 351 million, an indication that the growth domain name registration is on the increase, yet in Nigeria and Africa, the growth is abysmally low.

Nigeria’s total domain name registration was put at 140,709 as at June 2019.
Rudman who expressed worries over the dominance of foreign domain names in Nigeria and Africa, and the hosting of such domain names and data outside of Africa and Nigeria, said African countries would continue to lose revenue streams from the hosting rights of domain names outside of Africa and Nigeria.

He described internet as a network of networks, joining many government, university and private computers together and providing an infrastructure for the use of email, bulletin boards, file archives, hypertext documents, databases and other computational resources.
“There are over 4.4 billion internet users worldwide out of the 7.7 billion people worldwide. We have about 351 million registered domain names globally as at June 2019, and these figures show growth of both internet users and domain names registration globally, which is a wake-up for Nigeria,” Rudman said.

Speaking on the benefits of domain name registration, the Vice President of NiRA, Mr. Toba Obaniyi, said “a domain name is a unique name on the internet that points visitors to the hosting account that serves them content.”

According to him, people can have a wider range of domains to select from when registering with the .ng extension; people can also get creative with their domains, such as drivi.ng, sleepi.ng, danci.ng, ceili.ng, just like what Google did with googli.ng and Microsoft did with bi.ng; and the registry is local, making resolution of issues easier and faster.

The Group Executive Editor, DigitalSENSE Africa Media Group, Mr. Remmy Nweke, highlighted some fundamentals of changing the DNS industry through a well-set out and thought-out structure of media engagement via professionals; conducting training sessions for media practitioners in the country, especially for those on the line of reporting/covering the DNS industry in Nigeria. He equally advised NiRA to institute a reward for excellence in DNS coverage in the country within the media.

https://www.akelicious.net/concerns-mount-over-africas-domain-name-registration/

Oga .com is not for Americas rather is .us .com is a king TLD (top level domain) as well as .net and .org
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Neocotez(m): 7:01am On Aug 01, 2019
fuckboys:
can you work as a marketer in singer market?

who want to find job for fvckboyz...Oga I no follow

Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by itsjeezy: 7:02am On Aug 01, 2019
I read this post and felt motivated.my friends saw this post and felt motivated. my neighbours saw this and were motivated.we rented a big projector in a big field and my village people saw this on the big projector and felt motivated. Now my village people have said they will always read your post thank you so much for this post.
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Lovelyn451(f): 7:08am On Aug 01, 2019
acounter2:

Where do u stay in kano?
I

Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by SoupNazi(m): 7:28am On Aug 01, 2019
habaja:

bros, you dont understand the dynamics thus your legit complains.

The .ng was bought at a very high price in dollars just like any other cctld domains. coupled with operational and maintenance cost.
So you could guess where the " high pricing " comes from.
gtlds were bought by companies having the resources e.g .google was bought over by... you guess right.

The more the domain registrations, the less the price (after periodic reviews).

if .ng does not suit you then go for .com.ng or .names.ng, it is cheaper there i.e 2K or thereabout.
That is what is obtainable in other countries e.g .co.uk, .co.za etc,
.co.za is 5k compared to 2k .com.ng. yet they are much higher registration than us
Want to go for .uk or .za you will pay premium.

Support .ng so that we could come to that point.

NB I am not a .ng staff or director but a registree so i understand this

cheers

Alagba, what is the difference between .ng and .com.ng ?
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Holyvet(m): 7:31am On Aug 01, 2019
Lovelyn451:
I like your spirit my sister,no need to pretend at all,God see you through,I have helped you in sharing your comment,goodluck to you.
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Lovelyn451(f): 7:32am On Aug 01, 2019
Holyvet:
I like your spirit my sister,no need to pretend at all,God see you through,I have helped you in sharing your comment,goodluck to you.
thanks, God bless you too

Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by gnykelly(m): 7:35am On Aug 01, 2019
Lovelyn451:

Contact the nearest RUGA settlement in your state
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Lovelyn451(f): 7:38am On Aug 01, 2019
gnykelly:

Contact the nearest RUGA settlement in your state
everything is joke to u...tchew
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Holyvet(m): 7:45am On Aug 01, 2019
Lovelyn451:
thanks, God bless you too
Amen and you are welcome.
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by dontro(m): 7:47am On Aug 01, 2019
How is .com USA?
Who owns .us then?
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 01, 2019
Let. Federal government bann .com as they banned milk importation
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by dejiolola: 7:54am On Aug 01, 2019
If we didnot paTRONise our own,how do we progress?
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Revolva(m): 8:10am On Aug 01, 2019
I was there yesterday at the conference wow so enlighten and so much to eat

dontro:
How is .com USA?
Who owns .us then?

.com is universal and it's registered in America cos America owns the internet so it's theirs but .us is their official domain. But it's is not popular ok
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by ibietela2(m): 8:12am On Aug 01, 2019
When you are charging 15k? Indians .in domain cost just $4.99 then $9 the following years
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by ibietela2(m): 8:15am On Aug 01, 2019
Vulcanheph:
Stuffs like these is why each country has a minister of information to create awareness on issues like this ........our own past minister of information was only interested in telling lies, creating tension internationaly and misinformig the public...

That guy didn't look like a minister of information for Nigeria... More like minister of information on APC for Nigerians
Re: Concerns Mount Over Africa’s Domain Name Registration by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 01, 2019
Agbanasm:
Nigerians don't value what they have
.ng is 15k, .com is 3k and .com.ng is 1700. Do you know the meaning of the word "value"

What Is The Major Difference Between Python And Php / 7 Awesome Reasons To Start Your Blog This Year / Is Blogging Still Profitable Or Is It Dead?