Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,710 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards (16319 Views)

Ban Open Grazing, Lose 2023 Presidency, Fulani Groups Threaten South / Southern Governors Ban Open Grazing, Call For National Dialogue / South-East Governors Ban Open Grazing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by EkunKekere: 7:06am On Aug 01, 2019
Move to ban open rearing, herding and grazing of livestock outside permitted ranches in Oyo State has been regurgitated, as the Open rearing and grazing regulation bill, 2019, passed the second reading stage at Wednesday’s plenary of the state House of Assembly.

The bill, sponsored by Speaker of the Assembly, Honourable Debo Ogundoyin; his deputy, Honourable Abiodun Fadeyi; Majority Leader, Honourable Sanjo Adedoyin and Minority Leader, Honourable Asimiyu Alarape, states that anyone who engages in open rearing or grazing of livestock is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to imprisonment for seven years or a fine of N200,000 or both,

Specifically, the bill prohibits the movement of livestock on foot from one destination to another in the state, with all herdsmen mandated to submit themselves for registration and get an identification card, which must be worn at all times.

Cattle movement is only permissible by rail wagon, truck or pick-up wagon, while any person found moving livestock on foot is liable on conviction to imprisonment for one year or a fine of N50,000 or both.

The penalty for any herdsman who fails to register is imprisonment for two years or a fine of N100,000 or both, while anyone without identification card is liable on conviction to imprisonment for six months or a fine of N50,000 or both.

A minor is prohibited from grazing, rearing or herding of livestock except under the supervision of an adult, while anyone found guilty of possession of offensive weapon within or outside the ranch, is liable on conviction to imprisonment for one year or fine of N100,000 or both.

If the bill is passed into law, any herdsman wishing to set up ranches or anyone intending to graze livestock on ranches is expected to pay a permit fee with the permit, renewable after one year, subject to the governor’s approval.

Such herdsman is expected to apply for one year lease of land from the owner, and get the consent of the Ministry of Environment which will carry out an environmental impact assessment before issuance of the permit.

Also prohibited, by the bill if passed into law, is the sale, transfer or mortgage of any land leased to herdsman for the purpose of ranching.

However, the governor is empowered to revoke the permit, without compensation, to the herdsman for any breach of security.

The Ministry of Agriculture will also be empowered to impound any livestock found grazing or wandering or herding in an area not permitted as a ranch, while impounded livestock not claimed within seven days will be sold on auction to the public and the proceeds paid into the state’s coffers.

Furthermore, the bill stipulates that any herdsman found guilty of damage to farm or crops shall after evaluation of the damage by the ministry pay the prevailing value of monetary compensation to the owner of the farm.

If any person is injured, the herdsman will be deemed guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to imprisonment for three years or a fine of N50,000 or both.

In addition, the convicted herdsman will pay the medical bill of the injured person including relevant compensation determined by the court.

If the onslaught leads to death of any person, the herdsman, upon conviction, will be sentenced for unlawful homicide under the criminal code law.

Where any livestock strays into another person’s land and causes destruction to crops or contaminates any source of water supply, the herdsman will be liable to pay damages or compensation to the owner or community with a proprietary interest in the land or source of water.

To see to the implementation of the objectives of the bill is an Open Grazing Prohibition Task Force comprising representatives of the state government, security agencies, farmers’ association, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, vigilante and the judiciary.

The eighth Assembly had in 2017 also started similar move to prohibit open grazing, establish controlled grazing and regulate the activities of herdsmen in Oyo State, with the bill also passing the second reading stage.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/230837/

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by aolawale025: 7:10am On Aug 01, 2019
Any solution to this crisis has to go hand in hand with a ban on open grazing

120 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by juvewalex(m): 7:21am On Aug 01, 2019
This is way to go and if they can't adhere, then flush them out of the state . The bad ones amongst them have turned hosts community against the good ones justifiably considering their menace.

84 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by aanuoluwami14(f): 7:31am On Aug 01, 2019
God bless my governor Mr GSM, better ooo before they destroy we people in the state.

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by oladeebo: 7:31am On Aug 01, 2019
Great move at exact time.
But the Bill should include the creation of special Tribunal to handle the cases.
Asiwaju
God bless.

22 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Davash222(m): 7:32am On Aug 01, 2019
Giving them ID cards is just like empowering them...like adding a feather to their already accumulated feathers.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by BobiNick(m): 7:36am On Aug 01, 2019
That idea of ranching is still the best. That's what most livestock farmers do in advance countries. Anyway atleast this is still a good move.

11 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Uyomeyouyo: 7:40am On Aug 01, 2019
Thank you!

This is what I have been calling for!!

SW APC governors must follow suit!!!

It worked in Benue. It will work in Yorubaland.

Enough of kissing Buhari's assss because of 2023.

Thank God we have a PDP governor in the SW.

103 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 01, 2019
I condemn this in totality..

This is not in line with Mr President initiative.

Makinde should immediately reverse such order for peace to unless there won't be peace.

Herdsmen should be allowed to graze freely in Oyo state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Shikini: 7:53am On Aug 01, 2019

South West now has a true leader!

The great Awolowo will be very happy in his grave.

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by TheExecutioner: 7:55am On Aug 01, 2019
Thank goodness, the South West is waking up.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by oladeebo: 8:15am On Aug 01, 2019
Davash222:
Giving them ID cards is just like empowering them...like adding a feather to their already accumulated feathers.
not at all, they should even give their cows a plate number for Identification!

41 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by oladeebo: 8:29am On Aug 01, 2019
My personal experience with this Fulani herdsmen, I returned home from outside Nigeria just last year, set on to farming this year with little means I can afford, to your surprise my maize plots were grazed down last Friday, my heart bleeds and I feel like committing suicide.
But this information awaken me.
Thanks to the sponsor s of the Bill.
Pls quick application
Oladeebo

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:33am On Aug 01, 2019
EkunKekere:

If any person is injured, the herdsman will be deemed guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to imprisonment for three years or a fine of N50,000 or both.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/230837/

CC: Lalasticlala, Mynd44 OAM4J
He should ban it fast without wasting time!!!

N50,000 is too small for a fine for an injured person!!!

Depending on the kind of injury, that money no go reach deposit+ medication+ feeding!!!

Remember that the injured will take time off the job to heal and he or she has a family to cater for!!!

Fine is suppose to discourage crime not something easily affordable!!!

In addition the state should have a task force to enforce and ensure that the enacted law is carried out!!!

God bless your efforts!!!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Tumbulum: 8:53am On Aug 01, 2019
PDP States taking the initiatives to stop the herdsmen while the APC States are still licking ass just for tinubu to become president.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by paulsir: 8:57am On Aug 01, 2019
MelesZenawi:
I condemn this in totality..

This is not in line with Mr President initiative.

Makinde should immediately reerse such order for peace to unless there won't be peace.

Herdsmen should be allowed to graze freely in Oyo state.
Tell your mister president to give them land in sambisa forest or you give them your family land to graze. Buhari asslicker

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by PapaBaby: 8:59am On Aug 01, 2019
Great initiative from Oyo state.

10 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by freeze001(f): 9:31am On Aug 01, 2019
oladeebo:
One of this administration success is the settlement of Fulani herdsmen and Farmer conflict in this country.
The farmer is now sale their farm land for the Fulani for grazing after the removal of the products.
This is great resolution of it's kind in the history of this country.
Oladeebo
oladeebo:

When I said the problem had been solved am saying what I know about and live in ,I've ever see when farmer and herdsmen make a deal on a plot for grazing and that"s why the conflict is die down.

After all that your rubbish talk, see ya life for outside?
oladeebo:
My personal experience with this Fulani herdsmen, I returned home from outside Nigeria just last year, set on to farming this year with little means I can afford, to your surprise my maize plots were grazed down last Friday, my heart bleeds and I feel like committing suicide.
But this information awaken me.
Thanks to the sponsor s of the Bill.
Pls quick application
Oladeebo

23 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by tigerclaws: 9:32am On Aug 01, 2019
Uyomeyouyo:
Thank you!

This is what I have been calling for!!

SW APC governors must follow suit!!!

It worked in Benue. It will work in Yorubaland.

Enough of kissing Buhari's assss because of 2023.

Thank God we have a PDP governor in the SW.
wink

welcome back
behave this time or the mods will sanction you again cool

3 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by oladeebo: 9:55am On Aug 01, 2019
freeze001:

After all that your rubbish talk, see ya life for outside?
thanks for your critics
That's how great Nation work
Oladeebo

3 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 01, 2019
So, they're adopting RUGA.

Two headlines today are positive news about RUGA. If you know you know.
Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by DameB(f): 10:05am On Aug 01, 2019
This is a laudable move...
They should really implement all they have stipulated in the bill.
Civil servants should please not do magomago in carrying out their roles with regards to this issue

7 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by PrinceKevin01: 10:05am On Aug 01, 2019
Good move. Other states should follow suit

Anyway, i will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 1k. Offer valid today only. See my info below to Chat me up on WhatsApp
Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by MobilityExpress: 10:06am On Aug 01, 2019
Very good. Child wey say him mama no go sleep, that child sef no go sleep. E go do night vigil of crying. I trust Ibadan people, na to begin knack them juju remain, juju wey go make them trek to Australia dey find wetin no lost grin

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by chiagozien(m): 10:06am On Aug 01, 2019
fulanis Herdmen are nigerians and they have every right other nigerians have.

Freedom of movement,freedom to live anywhere and others.

Fulanis herdsmen must defend themselves against any intimidation.
Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 01, 2019
Good development

3 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by tommykiwi(m): 10:07am On Aug 01, 2019
A welcome development, other governors should follow suit.

4 Likes

Re: Oyo State To Ban Open Grazing; Herdsmen To Carry ID Cards by soberdrunk(m): 10:07am On Aug 01, 2019
Aji sebi Oyo Lari, Oyo o sebi Baba Enikankan.... Great move!

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Osinbajo's Intervention Led To Conviction Of Dismissed SARS Operative / Fraud In NBC: EFCC Recovers N10b, Set To Prosecute Ex-dg Mba, Three Others / Delta Speaker, Monday Igbuya Impeached, Suspended From House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.