Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG (18094 Views)

LASG To Remove Residential Buildings Converted To Worship Centres & Clubs / President Buhari Set To Approve Reopening Of Worship Centres / COVID-19: Abia Relaxes Lockdown, Work Resumes, Worship Centres, Markets To Open (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Celebsnews: 6:39am On Aug 02, 2019
Na wao.. Misplaced priority though.

Meanwhile, here is all you need to know about BBnaija new Housemate, Elezonim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iH-mSfW004
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Celebsnews: 6:39am On Aug 02, 2019
Fair
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by madmohamed(m): 6:43am On Aug 02, 2019
edunwablog:
The Federal Government has said it is working towards amending the Marriage Act.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Georgina Ehuriah, said in Lagos on Thursday that the amendment became necessary in order for the ministry to “adequately meet the needs of citizens in the 21st century.”

Ehuriah said this while delivering the keynote address at a stakeholders’ conference with the theme, “Achieving harmonious compliance in the conduct of statutory marriage in Nigeria,” held at Sheraton Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos.

The Ministry of Interior and local government areas had been locked in legal battle over who has the statutory power to conduct and issue marriage certificates.

Ehuriah said on Thursday that by the provisions of Sections 24, 30(3) and 30 of the Marriage Act, only the Principal Registrar of Marriages was authorised to print and distribute marriage certificate to places of worship throughout Nigeria.

“The implication is that any certificate not printed by and delivered by the Principal Registrar of Marriages is illegal and cannot serve the desired purposes,” she said.

She, however, said the Ministry of Interior was making arrangements to give couples whose marriage certificates were not issued in line with the Marriage Act opportunity to bring them to conformity.

Ehuriah added that the Ministry of Interior was making moves to “appropriately advise the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the legally-acceptable (marriage) certificate for the guidance of foreign embassies in Nigeria and Nigerian missions abroad.”

While disclosing that only 314 out of the 4,725 places of worship licensed by the Ministry of Interior to conduct marriages had renewed their licences, Ehuriah called on places of worship who had not renewed their licences to do so to avoid invalidating marriages conducted by them.

“The implication of this is that marriages conducted in unlicensed places of worship are not in line with the Marriage Act and cannot serve legal purposes when the need arises; and as such, unlicensed places of worship are operating contrary to Section 6(1) of the Marriage Act,” Ehuriah stressed.

The Permanent Secretary also said the Ministry of Interior had secured the necessary approval to establish Ikoyi Marriage Registry Annex “while arrangements are in advanced stages to establish Marriage Registries at Ikeja and Ibadan.”

“These, we hope, will, to a good extent, address some of the challenges being faced at the registry,” Ehuriah said.

https://punchng.com/well-legalise-unlicensed-worship-centres-marriage-certificates-fg/amp/
how can local government print married certificate in oder country only immigration or home affairs can print it.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by MoonWater: 6:46am On Aug 02, 2019
madmohamed:
how can local government print married certificate in oder country only immigration or home afire can print it.
you mean home affairs? Or ministry of interior ?
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by olas24u(f): 6:52am On Aug 02, 2019
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by adedayoa2(f): 6:59am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Hi guys !.pls how safe is it to obtain a loan from online loan platforms such as ren money ,pay pal etc.. I had commenced the process of filling the form online but I got to a point where I was asked to give my BVN details.At that point I stopped because of fear of my details being hacked on the website by scammers..If anyone here has done such transaction and was safe ,pls kindly signify .Its important.Thanks
your getting the loan is 50-50

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by nafisu: 7:04am On Aug 02, 2019
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Sonnobax15(m): 7:08am On Aug 02, 2019
This is the least of Nigerians problems...FG with misplaced priorities ehn..
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by visita: 7:13am On Aug 02, 2019
So being unmarried at any age is a problem? Thought marriage was a choice.
SheikhMuniru:

Heyah Sorry En, You Gotta Appeal To Your Village People Cos They Are The One Behind Your Problem
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by airsaylongcon: 7:18am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Hi guys !.pls how safe is it to obtain a loan from online loan platforms such as ren money ,pay pal etc.. I had commenced the process of filling the form online but I got to a point where I was asked to give my BVN details.At that point I stopped because of fear of my details being hacked on the website by scammers..If anyone here has done such transaction and was safe ,pls kindly signify .Its important.Thanks

As long as you are sure you are on their legitimate site or using their legitimate app you are fine. BVN is used to obtain insight on your credit history

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by MVLOX(m): 7:18am On Aug 02, 2019
kayusely70:
Does that means marriages consumated at the local govt levels are null and void?

Yes sir, it been null and void for some months now....
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by OlujobaSamuel: 7:18am On Aug 02, 2019
Seems not to get this marriage wahala again, lasg won a case against the fg at the CofA recently in respect to the marriage registration, now fg is coming up with this again.
I'm fed up of this thrash.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by SalemCiti: 7:24am On Aug 02, 2019
Many long time couples are already affected and they do not know this. Their marriages were conducted in unlicensed places of worship. Yet they carry on believing their marriage are statutory marriage, not knowing it is a customary marriage at best.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by TheAlchemist: 7:32am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:

Ren money is not as responsive as Paylater, Branch, Fairmoney.
One of Renmoney Branches on the Mainland (i am saying this because the Head office may not really know what is going on in some of their branches) turned down my loan request, after giving them my 6 month bank statement, wasted my time, fuel etc and subjected me to public ridicule in front of other loan applicants, but Branch and Paylater just with a click of the button, reviewed my Positive Credit Bureau Report and without a physical meeting, from the comfort of my home, granted me a loan. i have a 4 and 3 months repayment plan with Paylater and Branch.
The online app companies are better alternatives, no more stripping you of your dignity like most microfinance institutions such as AB Microfinance whose modus operandi is quite barbaric.
On the BVN issue you have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by sonnie10: 7:50am On Aug 02, 2019
Is It only in the West that people get married? Why establish another registry in Ikeja and Ibadan when other parts of Nigeria have none?

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Maket: 7:57am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Safe but the conditions are unsafe. You may ended up selling yourself to pay for the loan.

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by KingsArome(m): 7:57am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:

Nobody can still ur money or hack anything with ur BVN, BVN is government means of identification, it can only be use to get ur personal information, such as name date of birth etc. The BVN is the same as the number on any of ur ID card, driver license, nation ID card etc. All the information that can be gotten from the BVN can still be gotten from any of ur online profile.

2 Likes

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Jabioro: 7:57am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Go ahead no one can hack your account through your bvn ..I have got loan through them..

1 Like

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by akdjr(m): 8:08am On Aug 02, 2019
I hope traditionalist worship centers will be included.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by respect2ukp: 8:09am On Aug 02, 2019
TheAlchemist:

Ren money is not as responsive as Paylater, Branch, Fairmoney.
One of Renmoney Branches on the Mainland (i am saying this because the Head office may not really know what is going on in some of their branches) turned down my loan request, after giving them my 6 month bank statement, wasted my time, fuel etc and subjected me to public ridicule in front of other loan applicants, but Branch and Paylater just with a click of the button, reviewed my Positive Credit Bureau Report and without a physical meeting, from the comfort of my home, granted me a loan. i have a 4 and 3 months repayment plan with Paylater and Branch.
The online app companies are better alternatives, no more stripping you of your dignity like most microfinance institutions such as AB Microfinance whose modus operandi is quite barbaric.
On the BVN issue you have nothing to worry about.

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by NnwachukuOkike: 8:13am On Aug 02, 2019
kayusely70:
Does that means marriages consumated at the local govt levels are null and void?

International sex nko grin
You mean if those without federal government marriage certificate are illegal or legal?

Abeg when is that Kenyan Jesus coming to Nigeria? All these fake fake Nigerian Christians need to see Kenyan Jesus ASAP. There is money in church, Islamic and terrorism business for the interest of Nigeria government.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by EtherealAnn(f): 8:42am On Aug 02, 2019
edunwablog:
The Federal Government has said it is working towards amending the Marriage Act.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Georgina Ehuriah, said in Lagos on Thursday that the amendment became necessary in order for the ministry to “adequately meet the needs of citizens in the 21st century.”

Ehuriah said this while delivering the keynote address at a stakeholders’ conference with the theme, “Achieving harmonious compliance in the conduct of statutory marriage in Nigeria,” held at Sheraton Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos.

The Ministry of Interior and local government areas had been locked in legal battle over who has the statutory power to conduct and issue marriage certificates.

Ehuriah said on Thursday that by the provisions of Sections 24, 30(3) and 30 of the Marriage Act, only the Principal Registrar of Marriages was authorised to print and distribute marriage certificate to places of worship throughout Nigeria.

“The implication is that any certificate not printed by and delivered by the Principal Registrar of Marriages is illegal and cannot serve the desired purposes,” she said.

She, however, said the Ministry of Interior was making arrangements to give couples whose marriage certificates were not issued in line with the Marriage Act opportunity to bring them to conformity.

Ehuriah added that the Ministry of Interior was making moves to “appropriately advise the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the legally-acceptable (marriage) certificate for the guidance of foreign embassies in Nigeria and Nigerian missions abroad.”

While disclosing that only 314 out of the 4,725 places of worship licensed by the Ministry of Interior to conduct marriages had renewed their licences, Ehuriah called on places of worship who had not renewed their licences to do so to avoid invalidating marriages conducted by them.

“The implication of this is that marriages conducted in unlicensed places of worship are not in line with the Marriage Act and cannot serve legal purposes when the need arises; and as such, unlicensed places of worship are operating contrary to Section 6(1) of the Marriage Act,” Ehuriah stressed.

The Permanent Secretary also said the Ministry of Interior had secured the necessary approval to establish Ikoyi Marriage Registry Annex “while arrangements are in advanced stages to establish Marriage Registries at Ikeja and Ibadan.”

“These, we hope, will, to a good extent, address some of the challenges being faced at the registry,” Ehuriah said.

https://punchng.com/well-legalise-unlicensed-worship-centres-marriage-certificates-fg/amp/
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by EtherealAnn(f): 8:42am On Aug 02, 2019
edunwablog:

edunwablog:

Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by SpyAC(m): 9:15am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
is safe man, hv been dealing wt them for quite long now
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by lorhema(f): 9:55am On Aug 02, 2019
sonnie10:
Is It only in the West that people get married? Why establish another registry in Ikeja and Ibadan when other parts of Nigeria have none?

It's a revenue drive. So they are targeting the people who are most likely to sign up.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by Ochibaisik(m): 10:06am On Aug 02, 2019
It's quite safe.Have been using branch app for almost a year.There is nothing like scam.The BVN is for easy location of your financial statement to help them know how much you qualify for.
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by cardoso222: 10:20am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
Its good you stopped. At the prompt of bvn, I discontinued too
Re: We’ll Legalise Unlicensed Worship Centres’ Marriage Certificates — FG by bsalawu: 10:21am On Aug 02, 2019
Kiezodumah:
I will advise you run from those guys.... check the interest rate well it’s not 4% as projected but 8%. Though your BVN is safe. Why not use Gtb loan.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Low Cost Airline To Commence Operations In Nigeria By July 2014 / Orji Uzor Kalu's 2019 Presidential Posters Under APC Flood Umuahia(pics / Stop Complaining, Vote Out Bad Leaders, Abdulsalami Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.