Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop (8663 Views)

CAF Withdraws AFCON 2019 Hosting Rights From Cameroon / Seychelles Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2019 Qualifier - 0 - 3 (Full Time) / Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by NaijaVTN(f): 12:20pm On Aug 02, 2019
England-born Stuart Baxter quit Friday as South Africa coach after a disappointing Africa Cup of Nations campaign in Egypt during June and July.

“I feel that I cannot continue to work with the required professionalism and passion as I have done,” the 65-year-old told a press conference at a Johannesburg sports club.

Baxter was widely unpopular with the South African public, while the media welcomed his decision to leave a job reportedly worth 490,000 rands ($33,500/30,000 euros) a month.

Reacting recently to constant criticism, Baxter said there were “54 million national coaches in South Africa”, a reference to the 58.7 million population of the country.

Although Bafana Bafana (The Boys) stunned Cup of Nations hosts Egypt in the round of 16, they made a timid exit against Nigeria in the quarter-finals.

They had been even more unimpressive at the group stage, losing to the Ivory Coast and Morocco and struggling to overcome minnows Namibia.

Previously, Baxter had flopped in a 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign, losing four of five matches as South Africa finished bottom of a group won by Senegal.

The Wolverhampton-born coach had a first stint coaching South Africa with little success a decade ago, failing to take the country to the 2006 World Cup.

He is the ninth coach to quit or be fired since the Cup of Nations ended on July 19 with Algeria defeating Senegal in the final.

Former Dutch star Clarence Seedorf was the highest-profile casualty with defending champions Cameroon sacking him following a last-16 loss to Nigeria.

Hosts Egypt fired Mexican Javier Aguirre, Namibia dumped Ricardo Mannetti, Guinea ditched Belgian Paul Put and Tanzania dropped Nigerian Emmanuel Amunike after poor campaigns.

French coaches Herve Renard and Sebastien Desabre left Morocco and Uganda respectively and Sunday Chidzambwa quit Zimbabwe.

Renard, the most high profile coach in Africa and the only one to guide two countries to the Cup of Nations title, has been hired by Saudi Arabia.

Desabre, who took Uganda to the knockout phase for the first time since 1978, moved to Egyptian club Pyramids, who will debut in the second-tier CAF Confederation Cup next season.

https://punchng.com/afcon-2019-baxter-quits-as-south-africa-coach-after-flop/amp/

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by jieta: 2:43pm On Aug 02, 2019
If for anything he deserve an award for being the first coach to use south Africa to beat Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by DavSagacity(m): 2:45pm On Aug 02, 2019
This is a man with principles. Not the Nigerian type of "we die here mentality"

6 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Lamasta(m): 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2019
Baxter our nigga grin
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by nnemmpi(m): 2:48pm On Aug 02, 2019
This man is better than rohr

7 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Magnifico2000: 2:52pm On Aug 02, 2019
Indirectly, Super eagles have sacked coaches of some countries.
Genrot rohr should be given second chance.

4 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by hamid6249: 2:53pm On Aug 02, 2019
I like this niggle...Buhari is next
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Icon79(m): 2:54pm On Aug 02, 2019
And all eyes are now on Gernot Rohr to, please, do the needful shocked

O pari

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Kingjr: 2:54pm On Aug 02, 2019
Any info via EFCC DA recruitment..??
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Earthquake1: 2:56pm On Aug 02, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

For your dream
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Beface(m): 2:57pm On Aug 02, 2019
Icon79:

O pari
I wonder wetin he go do if he coach Nigeria that has almost 180,000,000 coaches. Even the coach above me is asking our coach to do the needful.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 02, 2019
flop how. they performed above their recent standards

3 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by qualityovenbake(m): 3:03pm On Aug 02, 2019
Super Eagle caused him his job. undecided
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Jaypop22: 3:05pm On Aug 02, 2019
Tina26:
flop how. they performed above their recent standards

I tire ooo. With the this coach, South Africa 's team has really improved their standards of play and technique.
It is only God that will deliver African sports administrators from impatient and lack of continuity.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Tectono: 3:07pm On Aug 02, 2019
But the coach is a great tactician. Can you recall what he did to Egypt? Click on the link on my signature to master how to export agricultural products to foreign countries and make millions of naira as profit.
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by otokx(m): 3:09pm On Aug 02, 2019
Man of Honour.
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Amuocha: 3:11pm On Aug 02, 2019
Good
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by namiji2598: 3:35pm On Aug 02, 2019
cheesy
DavSagacity:
This is a man with principles. Not the Nigerian type of "we die here mentality"
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by mexzony: 3:48pm On Aug 02, 2019
See i feel Baxter will do better with our Squad thab Rohr. Did you k ow that in that game against SA, Baxter used up to 5 Formations switching seamlessly.

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Icon79(m): 3:59pm On Aug 02, 2019
Take it from me, this team would not make the next World Cup with Gernot Rohr in charge.

Rohr has been successful in getting us organized but, technically, I don't think he has improved the team at all. In fact, his first 3 games (if you disregard the dead rubber AFCON qualifier): Zambia (away), Algeria (home), and Cameroun (home) were his best matches with the Super Eagles so far. We've been going backward since then.

Compare how much the Algerian team (and even Cameroun) had improved since we played then in 2018 World Cup qualifiers. The Algerian teams that we easily brushed aside less than 2 years ago now played us out of the park. What does that tell you angry sad shocked

O pari

Earthquake1:

For your dream

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Icon79(m): 4:00pm On Aug 02, 2019
Omo, some of us have played this game so we have some credibility when we talk. Unlike some people shocked

O pari

Beface:
I wonder wetin he go do if he coach Nigeria that has almost 180,000,000 coaches. Even the coach above me is asking our coach to do the needful.
Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Earthquake1: 4:06pm On Aug 02, 2019
Icon79:
Take it from me, this team would not make the next World Cup with Gernot Rohr in charge.

Rohr has been successful in getting us organized but, technically, I don't think he has improved the team at all. In fact, his first 3 games (if you disregard the dead rubber AFCON qualifier): Zambia (away), Algeria (home), and Cameroun (home) were his best matches with the Super Eagles so far. We've been going backward since then.

Compare how much the Algerian team (and even Cameroun) had improved since we played then in 2018 World Cup qualifiers. The Algerian teams that we easily brushed aside less than 2 years ago now played us out of the park. What does that tell you angry sad shocked

O pari

We beat the Cameron team in 16s so what are you saying? We beat Algeria to qualify for world cup ( with a match to spare) and we qualified for AFCON ( with a game to spare)

We won bronze on the back of missing two Afcons and that is a massive achievement me

As for your first statement that's as far from the truth as it can get

2 Likes

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Icon79(m): 4:12pm On Aug 02, 2019
Yes, we beat the Algerian team on our way to the 2018 world cup. We beat them easily as well. And, on the return leg, we even outplayed them with a weakened team at their back yard. But that's my point, exactly!

The same Algerian team that we soundly beat less than 2 years ago, can now play us out of the park! That tells you one thing: the Algerians have improved whereas we haven't improved at all.

And you can say the same thing about Cameroun as well. Even though we had beaten them easily less than 2 years ago, the same time totally outplayed us in Egypt. We were actually lucky to win that game.

O pari

Earthquake1:

We beat the Cameron team in 16s so what are you saying? We beat Algeria to qualify for world cup ( with a match to spare) and we qualified for AFCON ( with a game to spare)

We won bronze on the back of missing two Afcons and that is a massive achievement me

As for your first statement that's as far from the truth as it can get

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2019: Baxter Quits As South Africa Coach After Flop by Earthquake1: 4:18pm On Aug 02, 2019
Icon79:
Yes, we beat the Algerian team on our way to the 2018 world cup. We beat them easily as well. And, on the return leg, we even outplayed them with a weakened team at their back yard. But that's my point, exactly!

The same Algerian team that we soundly beat less than 2 years ago, can now play us out of the park! That tells you one thing: the Algerians have improved whereas we haven't improved at all.

And you can say the same thing about Cameroun as well. Even though we had beaten them easily less than 2 years ago, the same time totally outplayed us in Egypt. We were actually lucky to win that game.

O pari

Can you say Algeria was lucky to win the final because they won with a fluke goal?

When did winning Algeria and Cameroon become easy for us? Is it because Rohr has done and you are taking it for granted and judging him by his success?

Algeria and Cameroon are African giants and it is not easy to beat them, Algeria have arguably the best squad in the tournament and they didn't win it by fluke

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Drops To 38th In FIFA World Rankings; 6th In Africa / Bet9ja Pays Out Billions, Punters Win Big: Historic Weekend Has Bookmakers Reeli / Arsenal To Tour Nigeria Next Summer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.