Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,355 members, 7,954,441 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:00 PM

Senator Under Fraud Probe Named Anti-graft Panel Vice-chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Under Fraud Probe Named Anti-graft Panel Vice-chairman (303 Views)

Terrorism/kidnapping: Influential Northern Senator Under Watch / EFCC Narrows N10bn Fraud Probe To 10 PDP Items’ Spending / Reps To Reopen Alleged $1.348b Power Fraud Probe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Senator Under Fraud Probe Named Anti-graft Panel Vice-chairman by Creeknigga(m): 5:02pm On Aug 02, 2019
The senator representing Sokoto-North in the National Assembly, Aliyu Wammako, who is under probe by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for alleged N15bn fraud, has been named the Vice-Chairman of the Senate Committee on Anti-Corruption and Financial Crimes, The PUNCH understands.
With his new role, Wammako and other members of the committee will be expected to carry out oversight functions on the EFCC.
Wammako, who was the governor of Sokoto State from 2007 to 2015, was accused of embezzling public funds.
In an EFCC factsheet published last year by many media houses, the EFCC said at least N1.7bn had been traced to the personal account of the ex-governor.
The fact sheet read in part, “Several petitions were received against Wammako for alleged theft and laundering of state funds amounting to N15bn.
“One of the petitions came from the Movement for the Liberation and Emancipation of Sokoto State signed by the Chairman of the group, M. D. Sirajo Saidu and Secretary, Mudasiru Umar Alasan. The petition was dated August 10, 2015.
“The EFCC in the last three years took time to look into some of the petitions and verified a few facts. Investigation so far has traced N1.5bn to the personal account of Wammako which was deposited by individuals (suspected to be staff of the Government House, Sokoto) who have yet to be traced.”
Wammako, who led President Muhammadu Buhari’s campaign in Sokoto State, will be expected to inspect EFCC projects, scrutinise budgets and make recommendations to the Senate by virtue of his new position.
When contacted on the telephone on Wednesday for an update on Wammako’s probe, the spokesman for the EFCC, Mr Tony Orilade, said he would find out and asked for 24 hours to respond.

Source:
www.punchng.com
Re: Senator Under Fraud Probe Named Anti-graft Panel Vice-chairman by donbachi(m): 5:27pm On Aug 02, 2019
Have u all seen my reason why i said"i cant enter made in nigeria rocket to space if asked to go and represent nigeria"..they will eat money budgeted for my upkeep and keep me stranded there and nothing will happen..and some persons rained insult at me....what a shameless country.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s First Capital Market Prof Appointed Imo Finance Commissioner / FG Declares August 12th, 13th As Public Holidays For Eid-el-kabir / Senate President Lawan Shares Photo From Hajj Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.