Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son (24947 Views)

Kaduna State Deputy’s Son Captured Packing Dollars And Nairas In Ghana Must Go B / Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song / John Nnanyerem Aguiyi Is Dead: General Aguiyi Ironsi's Son Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Infinityk: 4:12pm On Aug 05, 2019
NkayStory:

I detest having you lots as countrymen...Biafra which you guys fought against and is still doing today would have ensured complete seperation of Igbos and yorubas..

At least we walk the talk via the Biafran war and IPOB now...while yorubas have made minus zero efforts to seperate themselves from Igbos....The biggest advocators for 'unity' and "one Nigeria' are yorubas.

so u think tinubu and yoruba elites represent the major Yoruba people?
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by ProudDick: 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2019
igbodefender:

Zik never at any time said the Igbos were going to conquer Africa. Stop disgracing yourself.
Do more research before embarrassing yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by ohosi4real(m): 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2019
i love the man talk and explain about the civil war. Pls tell the man to write on a book and dustribute it to school for children to learn
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by gurnam: 4:45pm On Aug 05, 2019
Infinityk:

so u think tinubu and yoruba elites represent the major Yoruba people?

Some of you people are very dull!! So you want to fall for the guilt tripping he is doing on you.

Ask him what are all his political leaders doing in abuja
How many yorubas arrive across the Niger bridge into the East and how many Ibos cross the bridge daily into the west.

When he answer that, you will know who is doing more of the attache to the other tribe and the biggest “advocators of unity” in Nigeria.

Ask him, who coined the term, One Nigeria and who wrote decree 34 (unity decreee) and who promulgated the same decree.

Ask him those that’s called themselves Igbo Lagosians and those that refers to themselves as Northern Igbos.

Ask him those that were running helter skelter when they were issued quit notice to leave the North and go back to their ancestral home.

As him the biggest beneficiary of the Nigeria geographical space

5 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2019
ProudDick:

Do more research before embarrassing yourself.
If you say Zik said such, then post the link here. Your credibility is at stake.
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by jagbajantus: 5:30pm On Aug 05, 2019
THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH
It is always refreshing to hear the truth about the war and the coup from people who were not only close to the truth but those who had actually lived the truth! Phillip Effiong was in my book, a true soldier and a brave man. He stood their to complete the surrender and officially end the war while other people took flight and ran away. He was also a very quiet and humble man. He did not show off or make a lot of noise unlike some others, even years after the war had ended, he remained relatively quiet. Effiong was a true hero.

Ironsi trusted the wrong people and listened to the wrong people and that was what cost him his life. Adekunle Fajuyi was also a brave man and a true soldier. He chose to follow Ironsi (who was his guest and visitor to wherever his captors took him) instead of just staying back under house arrest in the Governor's House in Ibadan. And he (Fajuyi) paid for it with his dear life when Danjuma and his fellow coup plotters (Northern and Middle Belt officers) summarily executed both of them on the outskirts of a dirt road in Ibadan.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 5:32pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Techsunny U re a very big fool, am from Nnewi, home town the biafra war lord, Emeka ojukwu was surrender by biafran armies and force to enter aircraft enroute cote du ivoire, last words from ojukwu "let me die here with my enemies".If con.ojukwu refused to board in aircraft, war ll' still countinue, Mind u! my brother did not run becos of ur cowardic nature of Nigeria Troops could not fight biafra without assistance from western world.
Fixed!

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by NCBMEDIA: 5:33pm On Aug 05, 2019
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 5:35pm On Aug 05, 2019
laudate:

Fixed!
Eze ewu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Eze ewu
Anuofia!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 5:45pm On Aug 05, 2019
laudate:

Anuofia!!
Anupama

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 5:45pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Anupama
Ezi bida

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 5:49pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Anupama
Onye iberibe!

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 5:50pm On Aug 05, 2019
laudate:

Onye iberibe!
Onye eriri eri.

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by ProudDick: 5:51pm On Aug 05, 2019
igbodefender:

If you say Zik said such, then post the link here. Your credibility is at stake.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 5:52pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Anupama
Techsunny:
Onye eriri eri.
Ekwensu!

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2019
laudate:

Ekwensu!
Onye ngbu

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 5:59pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Onye ngbu

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2019
[quote author=laudate post=80970936][/quote]Mumyyyyyy u say abi igbo?.
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 6:03pm On Aug 05, 2019
[quote author=laudate post=80970936][/quote]Mumyyyy u say I be igbo?.
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 6:05pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Mumyyyy u say I be igbo?.

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2019
[quote author=laudate post=80971067][/quote]Bingo
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 6:08pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Techsunny na Bingo

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 6:09pm On Aug 05, 2019
[quote author=laudate post=80971146][/quote]Mad dog

2 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by laudate: 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2019
Techsunny:
Techsunny is a Mad dog

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Techsunny: 6:13pm On Aug 05, 2019
[quote author=laudate post=80971224][/quote] Onye okro

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by gentle007(m): 7:17pm On Aug 05, 2019
kettykin:
i hope all igbos are learning from the stupid blunders committed by ironsi
That guy sef. He believed in Nigeria. Terrible thing.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by rosebowl01(m): 8:14pm On Aug 05, 2019
franchasng:
I used to think that it was only Azikiwe that knew about the coup, but the truth is, all the ruling politicians knew about the coup but refused to act.

Ladoke Akintola the Western Premier got information about the coup from Zik and Akintola told Sir Ahmadu Bello, but Bello waved it aside, saying nothing will happen.

Azikiwe warned Akintola again and then took a medical leave with his Yoruba doctor. Then Akintola angrily went to Kaduna to warn Ahmadu Bello the Northern Premier, but Ahmadu Bello again refused to listen, so Akintola went and bought a rifle to arm himself at his Ibadan official residence.

When the coupist arrived Akintola's official residence, they didn't plan to kill him but as soon as Akintola sighted them, he rushed and grabbed his rifle and started shooting at them which made them kill him during exchange of fire, though he was on their list of those to be killed.

Also, the coupist didn't plan to kill Tafawa Belewa the Prime Minister, but when they heard the coup has foiled, they killed all the politicians they took on house arrest, including Belewa.

The people they had their names for killing were:

1.) Ahmadu Bello because he was a tribal bigot

2.) Ladoke Akintola for his alignment with Bello and his political tuzzle with Awolowo (the coupist loved Awolowo who was serving a jail term for treason at Enugu Prison)

3.) Azikiwe for his love for Northern Nigeria against the south but he used his wisdom and ran away in disguise of going for medical trip.

4.) Aguiyi Ironsi was also on their list of those to be killed

5.) Okotie Ebo because of his corrupt lifestyle and showoffs

One Yoruba Major that got killed with his wife was killed because he tried to pull out his rifle from his drawer, and they shot him.

D you see a pattern in your writing? Their is one excuse for why the coup plotters (who by happenstance are ibos) UNINTENTIONALLY killed all non Ibo officers and political leaders, and UNINTENTIONALLY let Ibo military and political leaders escape? They even plan to install Awolowo (maybe when they get to planet Mars) Hmmmn, the fear of God have left you people long time ago.

4 Likes

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 05, 2019
MelesZenawi:
And today what Happened.

anyway the interview was balanced in all aspects.

Effiong son narrative to me, is okay not styled.

He still believes in his father's course.

What about me...?

His account is one of the most candid memoirs of Biafra. And we have to remember that he was just a teenager at the time so his personal opinions were coloured by the behaviour of older people who were his guardians and mentors.

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by princfred(m): 1:33pm On Aug 06, 2019
I guess those who tout and rejoice at the killing of igbos in that ill fated war arenow enjoying and their Fulani brothers like they are enjoying Buhari.

Karma has no menu.
The bloody rampage of saint islamists of today vindicate the igbos and exposes the mumuness of those who think they won then for all i care.
Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by GMbuharii: 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2019
[s]
laudate:

Hmmnn....this is enlightening. So Trimnell's in-laws were Yoruba people. undecided

So Yoruba people sheltered Igbos, during the war.

So Ojukwu's men, family and children were well-fed during the war, while the families of ordinary civilians were left to starve. shocked

So Ojukwu' did not go to Ivory Coast in search of peace, like he said. He went to avoid getting caught.

So Ironsi made Effiong a scapegoat, instead of acting on Military Intelligence in a way that could have prevented the first coup. angry

So Ojukwu's absconded from Biafra, without thinking about those who had fought under his command, until his deputy forced him to carry his (Effiong's) family along; sad

So Ojukwu stubbornly ignored the wise counsel of elders and professionals in Biafra,

So right from the onset, Ojukwu knew that the Biafran forces were ill-equipped to face the federal forces on the battlefield, but he still went to war and ended up playing ludo, with the lives of 3 million people, in the old Eastern region; cry

In fact, this historical account about life inside Biafra is one of the best I have ever read.....

Wey my zobo?? shocked God will punish all those spreading propaganda about the war.... angry

[/s]
Shut up, thank you

1 Like

Re: Philip Effiong: Ironsi Exposed My Dad To Coup Plotters - Ojukwu’s Deputy’s Son by chiedozie198100: 10:03pm On Aug 11, 2019
Guestlander:

Of course, because in your opinion everything happened in isolation to each other. The first coup and others had zero connection to each other.
Some patriotic Nigerian officers woke up one day and decided to change the government, six months later some other patriotic Nigerian officers decided to overthrow the first set. All the other coups were led by patriotic Nigerian soldiers trying to save the country. Ok.

i like ur sacarsim.

nzeogwu n his team were just nothing but idealistic idiots. or should i say naive military guys aptly deceived by the British to destabilize an already fragile n diverse union like nigeria.

and ojukwu too was just a pun also used by the international elite to sell arms, destroy lives, and pave the way for an even more stupid pun (gowon) to clear the way for the total take over of the niger delta n its newly found unending resources (oil).

the british was not ready to start having intellectual arguments with the zik generation again on the issue of oil wealth control.

there was oil boom just immediately after the military war (to me this was never civil war. it was the military boys from different sides playing war games). why didn't the oil "boom" during civilian rule?

these khaki guys were very young n inexperienced men, who only know the way of the gun.

the generation of zik, awo n bello were to be thought a bitter lesson for standing up to the british, intellect for intellect.

n the very racist whites hate it when blacks match them brain-for-brain. so who did they use: the second generation pseudo-elite (the khaki boys).

and nigeria has never been the same ever since.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okonjo-Iweala: Buhari In Video Conference With Charles Michel Of EU Council / Rochas Vs Uzodimma: Court Dismisses Appeal Filed By Imo Govt / Gokana LGA Rivers Under Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.