Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,962 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest (732 Views)

Lauretta Onochie On Sowore Arrest: “DSS Saved Him From Setting Self Ablaze” / Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To Omoyele Sowore’s Arrest By DSS Over #revolutionnow Protest / #RevolutionNow: Nigerians React To Sowore Arrest, #FreeSowore Trends On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by unclesuruoffi: 6:56pm On Aug 04, 2019
Nigerian Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has on Sunday reacted to the arrested of Omoyele Sowore as it has been confirmed by The Department of State Services (DSS), that it's operatives took Sowore into custody.

Sowore is the convener of ‘#RevolutionNow’ protests ( Sowere Revolution ), which has been scheduled to hold nationwide on Monday, August 5.

Professor Wole Soyinka in a statement said,

“SURELY, NOT AGAIN!!!”, SAID THE “DEPLOYMENT OF ALARMIST EXPRESSIONS” SUCH AS “TREASON,” “ANARCHIST,” AND “PUBLIC INCITEMENT” BY SECURITY AGENTS WAS PREDICTABLE AND BANAL AND THAT THE EXPRESSIONS HAVE BECOME MEANINGLESS.

“NOTHING THAT HE SAID TO ME IN PRIVATE ENGAGEMENT EVER REMOTELY APPROACHED AN INTENT TO DESTABILISE GOVERNANCE OR BYPASS THE NORMAL DEMOCRATIC MEANS OF CHANGING A GOVERNMENT.

“I THEREFORE FIND THE REASONS GIVEN BY THE INSPECTOR-GENERAL FOR THE ARREST AND DETENTION OF THIS YOUNG EX-PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE TOTALLY CONTRIVED AND UNTENABLE, UNSUPPORTED BY ANY SHRED OF EVIDENCE.

“HIS ARREST IS A TRAVESTY AND VIOLATION OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF CITIZENS TO CONGREGATE AND MAKE PUBLIC THEIR CONCERNS.

“THIS IS ALL SO SADLY DÉJÀ VU. HOW OFTEN MUST WE GO THROUGH THIS WEARISOME CYCLE?

“WE UNDERWENT IDENTICAL CYNICAL CONTRIVANCES UNDER THE LATE, UNLAMENTED SANI ABACHA, WHEN HE SENT STORM-TROOPERS TO DISRUPT A PLANNING SESSION FOR A SIMILAR ACROSS-NATION MARCH AT TAI SOLARIN SCHOOL, IKENNE.

“THIS WAS FOLLOWED UP BY A PERSONALISED LETTER THAT WAS HAND DELIVERED BY THE STATE SECURITY SERVICES TO ME UNDER THEIR SUMMONS, AT THEIR ABEOKUTA SO-CALLED ‘ANNEXE,’ WITH NEAR IDENTICAL WORDING TO THE THREATS CONTAINED IN TODAY’S RELEASE FROM THE DESK OF THE CHIEF OF POLICE.

“AT LEAST, I WAS SUMMONED, NOT SUBJECTED TO A TERRORIST MIDNIGHT ARREST. SOME IRONY!

“THE SAME PATTERN PAVLOVIAN CONDUCT MANIFESTED ITSELF UNDER YET ANOTHER SUPPOSED DEMOCRATIC RULER WHO PERSONALLY DECLARED THAT THE GATHERING OF CIVILIANS TO DELIBERATE ON AND PROPOSE A CONSTITUTION FOR THE NATION WAS ‘HIGH TREASON’, AND WOULD BE RESISTED BY THE FULL RIGOUR OF STATE POWER IF WE PERSISTED.

“THE INSPECTOR-GENERAL OF POLICE MOBILIZED HIS FORCES AND ISSUED INFLAMMATORY PROCLAMATIONS, BUT PRONACO WENT AHEAD DESPITE ALL THE THUNDERING FROM ASO CITADEL. CAN THE POLICE EVER LEARN ANYTHING ALSO THEIR TEAR-GASSING AND BRUTALIZING OF GRIEVING MOTHERS WHO MARCHED PEACEFULLY TO PROTEST THE DEATHS OF THEIR CHILDREN IN A PLANE CRASH INFERNO?

“THEIR MISSION, UNDER THAT SAME REGIME, WHICH WAS SIMPLY TO DELIVER A LETTER TO GOVERNMENT HOUSE IN LAGOS, DEMANDING GREATER SAFETY IN AIRLINE OPERATIONS, YET SUCH A RATIONAL INTENT, BORN OF TRAUMATIC CIRCUMSTANCES, WAS QUASHED ON THE SIDEWALKS OF A SUPPOSED TWENTIETH CENTURY NATION.

“AND YET AGAIN, EVEN A FACELESS CABAL UNDER YET ANOTHER CIVILIAN REGIME REFUSED TO BE LEFT OUT OF THE INSENSATE PLAY OF POWER. A MARCH ON ASO ROCK CALLING FOR AN END TO GOVERNANCE BY A GHOSTLY ENTITY WAS SLATED TO BE CRUSHED, BUT FORTUNATELY, A CONFLICTING BALANCE OF INTERESTS DECIDED IN FAVOUR OF A REDUCED TRAJECTORY OF PROTEST.

“AND SO ON AND ON AND ON, IN A NATION WHICH CONTINUES TO SPEAK AT ONCE THROUGH BOTH SIDES OF THE MOUTH, SPEWING OUT THE SAME TREASON MONOTONE, AS IF THIS WAS A MAGIC INCANTATION THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE VENTING OF MASS FEELINGS, EVEN AS COLLECTIVE THERAPY,” HE SAID

He also went ahead to say

“IF WE CANNOT LEARN FROM THE HISTORIES AND EXPERIENCES OF OTHER SOCIETIES, LET US AT LEAST LEARN FROM OURS. FREEDOM IS NOT SO GLIBLY QUALIFIED. IT CANNOT BE DOLED OUT LIKE SLOPS OF CHARITY FROM SOUP KITCHENS. LET THE POLICE STICK TO THEIR TASK OF PROTECTING AND MANAGING PROTESTS, NOT ATTEMPT TO PLACE THEIR OWN MEANING AND DECLARATION OF INTENT ON BOGEY WORDS LIKE – REVOLUTION,”

# Sowere Revolution

SOURCE: https://unclesuru.com/2019/08/04/sowere-revolution-wole-soyinka-blast-buharis-government-over-sowores-arrest/

Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by NwaAmaikpe: 7:11pm On Aug 04, 2019
shocked

Egbon....you and I know Sowore is an insincere mole.
Unless you want to make your Nobel prize appear well deserved, there is no need for the vocabularic tantrums.

Apparently, this letter seems to me to be more about you reminding the younger generation about your history in activism than about Sowore's misfortune.

Yes, you were a true activist.
But you didn't merit the Nobel Prize in Literature.
I'd always respect you for the former.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by JudgeOGBUNABALI(m): 7:18pm On Aug 04, 2019
cool
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by HisSexcellency(m): 7:19pm On Aug 04, 2019
lipsrsealed
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by escodotman: 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2019
Though it's full of vocabularies but well articulated. The nostalgia Prof. brought in this statement says it all. Few weeks ago, Obasanjo likened Buhari to Abacha but Buhari's supporters wanted to eat him alive. Now Prof has joggled their memory a bit and hope they can see Obasanjo is right afterall....
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by kerzhim(m): 7:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
Q
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by danny56: 7:55pm On Aug 04, 2019
Nigeria don tire, people are not even scared of war again sef... angry
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by hero2000: 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Unless you want to make your Nobel prize appear well deserved, there is no need for the vocabularic tantrums.

Apparently, this letter seems to me to be more about you reminding the younger generation about your history in activism than about Sowore's misfortune.

Bitterness. After all these years?!
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by slimfit1(m): 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2019
Well we will call for sanctions if he is not realised.
Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by Rosskiki: 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:

How many of his works have you read?

1 Like

Re: Sowere Revolution: Wole Soyinka Blast Buhari's Government Over Sowore's Arrest by Axiwaju(m): 10:16pm On Aug 04, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

this is the first senseless Post from you.. you're better than this and i respect u.

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Releases The New NDDC Board Members (see Full List) / BREAKING: Herdsmen Kidnaps PDP National Youth Leader / Buhari’s Approval Of Int'l Airport In Ebonyi A Distraction To Ndigbo – MASSOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.