Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:48 AM

"Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary (1393 Views)

3 Lessons To Learn From Mary And Martha / Jesus Is Only Your Lord, If You Keep His Word / Villagers Refused Us To Bury Our Brother Because We Converted To Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 06, 2019
"LORD IF YOU WERE HERE, OUR BROTHER WOULD HAVE NOT DIED" - MARTHA AND MARY

John 11:20-21, 32 (KJV)

20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

If different names were not used in both instances, it could have easily been assumed that it was the same person who made both statements, for the second saying mirrored the first, but it emanated from the mouths of two different persons, namely Martha and Mary.

That goes to show the level of confidence or trust they both reposed in Jesus, for they were completely certain that if Jesus was there with them while their brother Lazarus was still sick, that he would have not have died, because the presence of Jesus would have guaranteed his healing from the sickness which caused his death.

They both could be excused for being so confident that Jesus being there alone would have led to an entirely different outcome in their beloved brother's matter, having just been bereaved of him, and yet filled with much grief.

However it appeared they weren't the only ones with such thoughts, for it was said:

John 11:14-15 (KJV)

14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

So Jesus Himself also shared the thoughts of Martha and Mary that if He were there when Lazarus was sick that he would have not died from the sickness, to the extent that He was glad that He wasn't there when Lazarus was sick.

Therefore the delay of His response to the message the sisters had sent to Him concerning Lazarus sickness, was actually deliberate, as it was said:

John 11:6 (KJV)

6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.

And from the saying of Jesus when He received the message for Lazarus sickness, it could be deduced the reason for His delay and why He was glad that He wasn't there when Lazarus was sick.

John 11:4 (KJV)

4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

So from the onset Jesus already knew that the purpose of the sickness transcended Lazarus being healed from the sickness, but for him to be raised from the dead to the glory of God.

But then for Lazarus to be raised from the dead, he needed to die from the sickness, which would have been impossible had Jesus been there with him.

Therefore Jesus needed not to be there for the purpose of Lazarus sickness to be achieved, which was whyHe tarried and was glad that He was not there with Lazarus while he was sick, for had He been there Lazarus would have not died.

That's really something deep to ponder over concerning the level of the Spirit that Jesus walked in, where He just being there with someone guaranteed that such a person didn't die from his sickness but was healed from it.

And yet some of us who claim to walk with God are satisfied and think we've arrived because we are able to heal one or two persons who are sick, but here was Someone who presence alone was sickness or death-proof, that His being somewhere with someone sick guaranteed the healing of the person and that the person died not.

Now that's my Master right there, who I want to be like and whose works I want to emulate. And I'm not going to settle for anything less until I get to that level, because Jesus Himself who had that extent of the Spirit made it clear that what He was able to do wasn't exclusive to Him, but that those who believed in Him could do likewise and even more.

John 14:12 (KJV)

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

So not just the works that Jesus did, but even greater works than that because Jesus didn't do all He was able to do while He was on Earth, because if He did it wouldn't have been possible for Him to accomplish the purpose for which He came to the Earth, which was to die for man's sins.

Because only the miracle of using five loaves of bread and two small fishes to feed the crowd, it was said that the people wanted to come and take Him by force and install Him as King, that Jesus had to take cover(John6:13-15). So what would have happened if Jesus had done greater works than that?

But those who believe in Jesus are not under such restrictions as Jesus was, hence His saying that they would do even greater works that He did while He was on Earth.

And though it's almost impossible to find those who are even able to match the works He did whilst on Earth, needless to say greater works, I believe that for Jesus to say this with such emphasis, He very well knew what He was talking about for it was not only possible, but to the glory of God that those that believed in Him were able to do likewise.

Therefore I'm not going to settle for anything thing less than what Jesus said concerning those who believed in Him being able to emulate the works He was able to do while He was on Earth, and even the greater works than that.

And I know it's going to take something extra to crack that saying, but whatever it would take with God helping me, I would not stop till that saying of Jesus is fulfilled in my life.

And it shall surely come to pass.

God bless.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 11:18am On Aug 06, 2019
Oya now, hold crusade and multiply loaves and fish let's see na.

1 Like

Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:
Oya now, hold crusade and multiply loaves and fish let's see na.
If that happens, would you believe?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 12:05pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
If that happens, would you believe?

I will know you have supernatural power.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

Meaning?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 1:59pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
Meaning?

Meaning you have the power you claim you have.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by budaatum: 2:19pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

We shall know, my Lord, come January 1, 2020!
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2019
budaatum:

We shall know, my Lord, come January 1, 2020!

#deactivateyourmoniker

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

Meaning you have the power you claim you have.
= Proof of God's existence?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
= Proof of God's existence?

Tentatively. Because you have to then show Yahweh is the source of your power not some other agent.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

Tentatively. Because you have to then show Yahweh is the source of your power not some other agent.

= proof of existence of spirits?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 4:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
= proof of existence of spirits?

No. I can allow that it may show the existence of the supernatural, it doesn't prove spirits exist.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

No. I can allow that it may show the existence of the supernatural, it doesn't prove spirits exist.
Lolz! grin
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 5:15pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
Lolz! grin

What's funny?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

What's funny?
Prove to me you don't know what it is.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
Prove to me you don't know what it is.

How do I do that?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

How do I do that?
You tell me.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by LordReed(m): 5:54pm On Aug 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
You tell me.

You are just taking the mickey.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 06, 2019
LordReed:

You are just taking the mickey.
You are funny.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 07, 2019
Do not settle for less.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 08, 2019
What manner of Man is this?
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 09, 2019
I want to be like that man.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 10, 2019
The sickness and death-proof man.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 11, 2019
God, help me to be like that Man.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2019
That's where I want to be.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 13, 2019
Those of His church shouldn't settle for anything less.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by karlboss: 12:30am On Aug 14, 2019
Jesus is the word of God. Jesus is the name given to word of God that is why the name is above every other name. I didn't understand this before until my boss explained it to me. Don't look at Jesus as a human being look at him as the word of God that became flesh. That is the best way to understand Trinity and Jesus Christ. I used to be a Christian-scientist but I am trying to change. I have studied mysticism and believe in seeking knowledge and enlightenment. The interesting thing about born again Christians like and others I have met is that the story is disame. How can all these people be crazy or is it because of fear of the unknown / Nigerian hardship that make people turn to Christ as an escape route. I doubt. Though I have not had an encounter but from argument research and people experience. Jesus Christ is real

1 Like

Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2019
karlboss:
Jesus is the word of God. Jesus is the name given to word of God that is why the name is above every other name. I didn't understand this before until my boss explained it to me. Don't look at Jesus as a human being look at him as the word of God that became flesh. That is the best way to understand Trinity and Jesus Christ. I used to be a Christian-scientist but I am trying to change. I have studied mysticism and believe in seeking knowledge and enlightenment. The interesting thing about born again Christians like and others I have met is that the story is disame. How can all these people be crazy or is it because of fear of the unknown / Nigerian hardship that make people turn to Christ as an escape route. I doubt. Though I have not had an encounter but from argument research and people experience. Jesus Christ is real
Yes you are right with respect to Jesus being the Word of God that was in the beginning with God which was made flesh, for that's the best way to understand the relationship between the Holy Three in One, namely God, His Word, and His Spirit.

However one of the reasons the Word of God was made flesh was so that the Word of God could multiply upon the Earth. Hence this saying of Jesus:

John 12:24 (KJV)

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

So that was why Jesus the Word of God had to die, for that was to enable Him mutiply Himself on Earth, which formed the basis of this topic, so that we as His followers do not settle for anything less but being able to do likewise, as the Word of God multiplied on Earth.

If you truly seek God, you shall surely find Him, for one thing that had worked for me is the sincerity of purpose, so now I can talk about God not from hearsay but from personal experience. Jesus is definitely real.

Thanks a lot and God bless.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by butterfly777(m): 11:01pm On Aug 14, 2019
Dear op, you need to reassess the assumption that God's had a purpose for Lazarus sickness. God does not make anyone sick for any purpose. Satan is the enemy who makes people sick. God's glory is in healing the sick. He doesn't need to make anyone sick for Him to be glorified.

1 Like

Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 15, 2019
butterfly777:
Dear op, you need to reassess the assumption that God's had a purpose for Lazarus sickness. God does not make anyone sick for any purpose. Satan is the enemy who makes people sick. God's glory is in healing the sick. He doesn't need to make anyone sick for Him to be glorified.
So by the bolded do you mean that Jesus was wrong?

For these are the sayings of Jesus which implies that God does:

John 11:4 (KJV) When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

John 9:3 (KJV) Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

So can you please explain what Jesus meant by these sayings?

I understand your concerns, but something you should know is that this is not under the perfect setting as God intended for it to be in the beginning, for sickness or death was never in God original plan for man.

So this is more like a plan b after the original plan has been trauncated by man's disobedience of the word of God, for now God has work under an entirely different condition from what He original intended for man when He first made Him.

That's why a times He has to make people go through different difficulties like sickness and even death for His own purpose and glory.

For instance He made Job go through all that suffering and sickness for His own purpose and glory, for at the end of it all, Job was the better for it.

And even made Jesus His only begotten Son go through death for His own purpose and glory, and Jesus was the better for it at the end of it all.

I have been sick once or twice where it was for God's purpose and to His glory, as I was the better for it, at the end.

So it's not the way you think it, for a times necessity demands that God make His own go through certain difficulties, sickness, barreness(Sarah, Abraham's wife), even death to achieve His own purpose for the person's life to His own glory.

God bless.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by butterfly777(m): 10:33am On Aug 15, 2019
jesusjnr:
So by the bolded do you mean that Jesus was wrong?

For these are the sayings of Jesus which implies that God does:

John 11:4 (KJV) When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.

John 9:3 (KJV) Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

So can you please explain what Jesus meant by these sayings?

I understand your concerns, but something you should know is that this is not under the perfect setting as God intended for it to be in the beginning, for sickness or death was never in God original plan for man.

So this is more like a plan b after the original plan has been trauncated by man's disobedience of the word of God, for now God has work under an entirely different condition from what He original intended for man when He first made Him.

That's why a times He has to make people go through different difficulties like sickness and even death for His own purpose and glory.

For instance He made Job go through all that suffering and sickness for His own purpose and glory, for at the end of it all, Job was the better for it.

And even made Jesus His only begotten Son go through death for His own purpose and glory, and Jesus was the better for it at the end of it all.

I have been sick once or twice where it was for God's purpose and to His glory, as I was the better for it, at the end.

So it's not the way you think it, for a times necessity demands that God make His own go through certain difficulties, sickness, barreness(Sarah, Abraham's wife), even death to achieve His own purpose for the person's life to His own glory.

God bless.
Thank you for taking the time to explain your point. It shows your passion. However, I want to point something out to us. I will choose not to continue this discussion after this post to avoid arguments.
Jesus said Lazarus sickness was to the glory of God. Jesus did not say God made him sick. Pls check the Bible text again. God is glorified when miracles are performed. It makes people know God and praise Him and believe in Him. If Satan afflicts anybody, he is just unwittingly creating avenue for God to be glorified because God will be glorified by solving the problem and Satan will be disgraced.
I am happy that you made reference to Job. God did not make Job sick. Satan did. Pls read the story again to confirm this. Job opened the door through the sin of fear and the things he was afraid of happened to him. Sin opens the door for Satan to operate. You will see that God scolded Job from Chapter 38 of Job, and Job repented Job 42:6. Since Satan had no more right to afflict Job after he repented , God now restored his losses.
Thinking that God makes one sick is either ignorance or the deceit of the devil to make you condone sickness. Remember what Bible says happens to people of God because of lack of knowledge. Thank you for your works here. You're blessed in Jesus name.
Re: "Lord If You Were Here, Our Brother Would Have Not Died" - Martha And Mary by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 15, 2019
butterfly777:

Thank you for taking the time to explain your point. It shows your passion. However, I want to point something out to us. I will choose not to continue this discussion after this post to avoid arguments.
Jesus said Lazarus sickness was to the glory of God. Jesus did not say God made him sick. Pls check the Bible text again. God is glorified when miracles are performed. It makes people know God and praise Him and believe in Him. If Satan afflicts anybody, he is just unwittingly creating avenue for God to be glorified because God will be glorified by solving the problem and Satan will be disgraced.
I am happy that you made reference to Job. God did not make Job sick. Satan did. Pls read the story again to confirm this. Job opened the door through the sin of fear and the things he was afraid of happened to him. Sin opens the door for Satan to operate. You will see that God scolded Job from Chapter 38 of Job, and Job repented Job 42:6. Since Satan had no more right to afflict Job after he repented , God now restored his losses.
Thinking that God makes one sick is either ignorance or the deceit of the devil to make you condone sickness. Remember what Bible says happens to people of God because of lack of knowledge. Thank you for your works here. You're blessed in Jesus name.
Thank for your comments.

Would have responded but because you said you don't want arguments I would let it slide.

God bless.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Jesus The Only Way There Is? / When Agnostic/atheist Ask For Evidence, This Is What We Mean / African Thoughts/proverbs In The Bible.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.