Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React (24449 Views)

FG Implements 7.5% VAT On Diesel, Nigerians Kick / Nigerian Customs To Start Charging VAT On Diesel Imports / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by legalwealth(m): 3:28pm On Aug 06, 2019
calculusx:

"said the government might appoint banks as agents to deduct five per cent VAT on all local online purchases with a bank card"

Did you pass through School or School passed through you? You have a huge problem

Ask google for answer to your question! !! Are you not the leader of the gang you called/named E rats on the Autos and Cartalk sections of this forum? You have complicated problems! !!

1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2019
loomer:

Tell me wetin one Gov't for this country done ever do with taxes paid by citizens especially since democracy

No, the roads you are running on fell from the sky.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Phyde: 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
Bunch of thieves. We have not seen what they have been using the CBN Stamp Duty Charges for and, now VAT for online purchases.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by bilulu(m): 4:05pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:
Lol, nigerians want testimony without test.

They want good tidings but don't wanna bring anything to d table.
the one we ve been bringing to the table what have they been using it for? Abi na now dem wan start

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Ayemileto(m): 4:11pm On Aug 06, 2019
Gracealone:
Meanwhile, nobody has told us anything about the amount realized so far on N50 charged on inflow into current accounts. I now use my savings accounts 99.99% .

And the TSA payment through Remita is the ripoff of the millennium. I had to spend over 2k in charges for N50,000 accommodation payment to FUNAAB, while I spent less than N300 to book for N55,000 Dana Air 2-way ticket to Abuja.

Yeah, paying online with remita is scam.

Next time, Generate pin and go to bank for payment. Charges will be just 157.5 Naira.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Ayemileto(m): 4:24pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:
People want development and keep making noise about how foriegn countries here but are not ready for what the foriegn countries do. Here in the US they task everything u buy, cash, online, debit machines anything. This is just an example of me trying to buy a tv worth over $1000. The tax is about $68 added to the original price of the tv which is 6% of the original cost.

Whats the minimum wage in the state you're residing?

Compare that minimum wage to the #18k minimum wage in nigeria which is just $50/month.

For them to increase the minimum wage to 30k/month ($83.33/month) has been a big problem, yet they want to tax everything taxable.

Maybe i should also remind you that there's also #50 ($0.14) charges over any money above 1k($2.7) deposited into any current account. They are yet to tell us what they have been able to achieve with this Money.

Also, you can't compare the infrastructures we have there to what we have here and to the best of my knowledge, those infrastructures existed there before almost everythings started getting taxed.

You can't compare the situation there to the situation here.

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by karlboss: 4:27pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:
People want development and keep making noise about how foriegn countries here but are not ready for what the foriegn countries do. Here in the US they task everything u buy, cash, online, debit machines anything. This is just an example of me trying to buy a tv worth over $1000. The tax is about $68 added to the original price of the tv which is 6% of the original cost.

Please this is not USA over there you are taxed and you see what you paid for. Over here you pay tax and nobody knows where d money went to

Look at tsa what has buhari done with it

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by loomer: 4:45pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

No, the roads you are running on fell from the sky.

So u go come out beat your chest and dey proud of those things them call roads?

That's why that country go forever dey backward

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Andy2274: 4:47pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

I should have looked at ur moniker b4 quoting u. Everlasting wailer obsessed with Tinubu success, never making sensible or meaningful contribution except extremely childish rhetoric. Even if u buy a thing worth just $3 here in the US, expect to pay 6% extra as tax. You want development but u are not ready for modalities that will bring development. Tmr u compare Nigeria to the US.
I made over $5k last month with over time, over $1k was taken out as Tax, that does not mean if i purchase anything online or in the stores i wont be tax, i will still be taxed. Attached is a pic of me trying to buy a tv from Amazon. See how tax is being added
. Oga if you know you are not in Nigeria just keep quiet and let people that are facing the problem talk. Are you not benefiting from the tax they collect from you? Don't you enjoy basic amenities that the taxes are used for? Do America government collect tax to sponsor herdsmen, bribe bandits and pay themselves huge salaries? Do they collect tax to sponsor touts who is comfortable taking his 6 children to USA for holidays while a professor cannot buy flight ticket to Abuja? You expect a company that run generator for 9 out of 12 hours of operation to pay huge tax? Individuals that pay double transport because of bad roads which the tax money was supposed to be used for to still pay huge tax? How many times have they taken light in your residence in US? Oga clear road and allow people that are feeling the heat talk.

4 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 4:51pm On Aug 06, 2019
loomer:

So u go come out beat your chest and dey proud of those things them call roads?

That's why that country go forever dey backward

Mba, I shouldn't be proud of it.

Many of you actually think Nigeria is a wealthy country.

grin
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by MartinsD12(m): 5:05pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

They started from.somewhere...
It didnt happen over night
There was also a time they were not taxed
Their government was structured in a way that the tax was been used to better the plight of Americans unlike in nigeria were corruption is eating deep nothing like tax works in nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by jossytech(m): 5:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
Paying not a problems. You pay they swallowed it n spend it a recklessly . they steal public fund here so one is ready to dash money for rogue to swallow
koboko69:
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by naijajobx: 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by NkayStory(f): 5:49pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:

I know Nigeria tax revenue is one of the lowest in d world at 6%, no country can develop with that tax rate, unless Arab oil rich nations with less population to cater for.

Our VAT is even a child's play compared to ghana and u people will shout to d heavens when one is instituted.

How can we even call ur govt to action when we don't pay tax?

You do absoluttely nothing with the taxes you collect already so what on earth are you talking about?

No roads,no pipe-born water,dilapidated infrastructur,no health insurance e.t.c..

You cant continue to steal from the populace to line yoir pockets in the name of useless and criminal taxes...That is the problem!!!!

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:
We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes.
You lack sense,so you want to pay vat,bank charges and network charges just because you want to pay for goods online

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by NkayStory(f): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
Lukay99:

you speak as if most Nigerians are already paying lots of taxes, almost all Americans pay taxes. even a one day old American baby indirectly pays taxes. very few people in Nigeria actually pay the real taxes. how much did the Nigerian federal government generated from tax when compared to what the American federal, State, city government generated from taxes. can you compare Nigerian federal tax revenues to a common city like Atlanta's tax revenue?

American government can do more infrastructure projects because it gets more tax revenues while the Nigerian government gets very little tax revenue.

we should take your advice and not create more taxes revenues to fund development. just remember that the number one problem in every ministries in Nigeria is funding for needed projects

You have no idea what you are talking about..Every tning i buy from shop-right are taxed already so what on earth are you saying?

Besides yoi lots embezzle 90% of the funds so we cannot sit back and allow you tax us further to line your pockets!

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 06, 2019
jabberjawz:

Naaa hommie....am not even based in that God forsaken shit place.....I live in a more civil environment where human rights are respected....where we have reasonable leaders.....
Even where you reside,you pay it indirectly.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by jabberjawz: 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2019
asuustrike1:

Even where you reside,you pay it indirectly.

Naaa hommie.....my type of husttle is tax free...
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
jabberjawz:

Naaa hommie.....my type of husttle is tax free...
But you eat food or buy things from the groceries? If yes you have paid indirectly unknown to you
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:
The policy is outright theft and nothing but gangster or omonile tax the Yoruba people have been metting out at people for years and now they want to take this to Federal level , this is how they want to tax MTN for the fine it paid to the govt ...Does Tunde Fowler realise that money in my card used to pay for online goods and service is my salary that has already been over taxed before i put it in my bank account where stamp duty is also taxed and my ATM card is already taxed . This is nothing but Tinubu style theft which Nigerians must reject ..You cannot tax me for spending money you already taxed .
But you were paying this when you bought things from supermarket
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by MylezKayn(m): 6:55pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:
We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes.
You have officially lost your mind

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 06, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
LOL. Some Nigerians don't actually know they pay VAT for some of the goods they buy in stores. grin
The problem is lack of tax enlightenment
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 06, 2019
CodeTemplar:
I disagree. Why tax people you have been taxing before? Let Fulani's that are in the informal sector begin to pay tax and watch money flow.
Have you heard of cattle tax?
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by odimbannamdi(m): 7:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:

It is very convenient for people overseas to whine and condemn us for our resistance of government misdeeds that is presumably thought to better our lot.

Why do you come over here and support the government you are hailing for this "good" move??

Bro, we are not against paying more and more taxes. The question that begs to be answered is "what are the taxes collected so far, being collected and to be collected used for?"

Even after paying all of these taxes, there are still no basic amenities for a good life. No roads, no water, no electricity, insecurity, etc.

I am just coming from the office and i am in dire need of electricity to cool off, but there is none. And i pay exorbitant light bills.

According to Charlie Boy, the area fada, we are our own government because even after paying cut-throat taxes to the Government, we still provide our own amenities.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:
taxed by who? U're only paying service charge to banks.

U're not a good thinker.
Stamp duties charges are deducted for every lodgment, payment in excess of N1,000 into a current account. A N50 stamp duty is charged.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by sirusX(m): 7:16pm On Aug 06, 2019
Dpharisee:
It means online shops like Jumia and Konga will increase prices of items and everyone will go back to the local markets cheesy

Na to pay on delivery grin
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Green3: 7:20pm On Aug 06, 2019
koboko69:
In the same America you mentioned, To help give people a better idea of where their tax dollars actually go, the National Priorities Project put together a taxpayer receipt that breaks down what the government does with your money. (The White House releases its own taxpayer receipt that categorizes spending in slightly different ways.)

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:

They run the government at all levels with your taxes.
The contribution of tax to GDP is 6%. One of the reasons for this low rate which is the lowest in the world is corruption

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
Andy2274:
. Oga if you know you are not in Nigeria just keep quiet and let people that are facing the problem talk. Are you not benefiting from the tax they collect from you? Don't you enjoy basic amenities that the taxes are used for? Do America government collect tax to sponsor herdsmen, bribe bandits and pay themselves huge salaries? Do they collect tax to sponsor touts who is comfortable taking his 6 children to USA for holidays while a professor cannot buy flight ticket to Abuja? You expect a company that run generator for 9 out of 12 hours of operation to pay huge tax? Individuals that pay double transport because of bad roads which the tax money was supposed to be used for to still pay huge tax? How many times have they taken light in your residence in US? Oga clear road and allow people that are feeling the heat talk.

I dont argue based of sentiments and baseless accusations. Nigeria did not get to where it is now overnight, U have had government of years....military and civilian government. Oil was the major source of income, now that the oil industry is not booming like it used to, what do u expect the present government to do. Y'all forget America did not become what it is over night. They are enjoying the works of your forefathers who were shipped against their will, sold as slaves, forced to work without little or no wages, used to to build roads, tunnels, build infrastructure. Today they are only improving and building on works already done before now. Today Africa is still struggling at the mercies of our oppressors.....
If the present government is sourcing funds from other means asides oil with the promising of improving life of Nigerians, it is not out of place to give them a chance. Every progressive country tax their citizens. We have social programs non existence before, we have school feeding program, many public schs are free or little money, we have the trader money, we have the N power, gradually we will get there
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by odimbannamdi(m): 7:36pm On Aug 06, 2019
golddeejay:
to generate money for the budget, let them reduce the cost of government and their salaries, one of the highest in the world. That is leading by example.

This will go down as one of the most sensible comments i have read on this thread!
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by odimbannamdi(m): 7:42pm On Aug 06, 2019
golddeejay:
Wow! It seems you are been paid to defend the government.

So you are not aware of how much looting has happened in Nigeria in the name of fixing electricity.

A sane man logic will be get something working first, before taxing people deeper into poverty.

That post to which you made this reply really irked me!

Most of the guys supporting this evil policy are outside the country and do not understand the ordeal an average Nigerian goes through every blessed day.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by loomer: 8:25pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

Mba, I shouldn't be proud of it.

Many of you actually think Nigeria is a wealthy country.

grin

If nigeria isn't a wealthy country then what is it?

Mismanagement don finish the country.

Where them dey see money pay politician and govt officials.
Make una no call spade, spade.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

T.A Orji To South-East Governors: Leave ESN Alone, Focus On Ebubeagu / 1,081 Boko Haram Members, Senior Commanders Surrender In Bama, Borno / Nigeria Wins As UK Court Quashes $11 Billion P&ID Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.