Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React (24437 Views)

FG Implements 7.5% VAT On Diesel, Nigerians Kick / Nigerian Customs To Start Charging VAT On Diesel Imports / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by OlujobaSamuel: 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2019
But we are paying this already, a phone of ₦10000 at slot store is same online, isn't this double taxation?

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by olanrewaju99(m): 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2019
The way my dear country is been govern only when we all wake up from our slumber then we can vote our conscience, PDP scam APC fraudster with experienced hardened criminals. The poor still have to contribute for the rich ones to get richer.... Las Las everyone will still lay 6ft under the ground what a mystery.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by FarahAideed: 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2019
The policy is outright theft and nothing but gangster or omonile tax the Yoruba people have been metting out at people for years and now they want to take this to Federal level , this is how they want to tax MTN for the fine it paid to the govt ...Does Tunde Fowler realise that money in my card used to pay for online goods and service is my salary that has already been over taxed before i put it in my bank account where stamp duty is also taxed and my ATM card is already taxed . This is nothing but Tinubu style theft which Nigerians must reject ..You cannot tax me for spending money you already taxed .

12 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by eleojo23: 12:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
Na wa o
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:
Lol, nigerians want testimony without test.

They want good tidings but don't wanna bring anything to d table.

The tax we’ve been paying. Where’s the outcome ?
The outcome is that we are being oppressed by this stupid government

4 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:
We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes.
LOL. Some Nigerians don't actually know they pay VAT for some of the goods they buy in stores. grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by traihit: 12:33pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:

You sound like the brain behind the idea itself. Since the days Nigerians have been bringing sacrifices to the table, what testimony do they have except loss of jobs, infoatinf, unemployment, bad roads and all sorts of security challenges. Now you think this VAT will take all that away instead of making the pockets of our politicians bigger.

4 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by BizBayo: 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2019
To fund the budget of RUGA
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by SirLakes: 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

Nothing right thinking there ..this is is brazen theft and at best omonile taxation the Tinubu Tinubu theiving wants to plant

Sarcasm grin
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Jobac: 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:
We all pay vat when we buy vatable goods by cash. So, what’s wrong with paying vat when we buy vatable goods online? If what you are buying is not excluded by the VAT act, you must pay vat irrespective of whether you’re buying online or paying cash directly.

In addition, FG needs to start imposing income tax on foreign social media platforms like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All revenues generated by these platforms from Nigeria should be fully subjected to Nigeria taxes.
Sir, how can it be monitored? Would the foreign firms declare their income to the FG or to who? I am skeptical of how FG can accurately tax them. These foreign companies are making a lot of money here.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Ikem11(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2019
Lol you guys voted then in so enjoy.. When that fail they will make 1MB to be N1000 to fund 2020 budget... Then all those monikas and blogs that campaigned for them hunger go do una 30

2 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by haryothosyn93(m): 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2019
I will rather to the market than to pay 5% VAT . Where is the money?

I am not against the policy provided they are going to use it proper but someone somewhere will start embezzling the cash and we won't see any positive progress in the country called Nigeria.

Jesus wept !

Allah is looking!!

Ogun is observing!!!

Thunder is waiting!!!!
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 06, 2019
No creation of enabling business environment what they do is to destroy the existing ones without plan of bringing another one up.We are in it for a big poo in this country..

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by martineverest(m): 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2019
isn't it like that in most countries?

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

Nothing right thinking there ..this is is brazen theft and at best omonile taxation the Tinubu Tinubu theiving wants to plant

Shatap.

I bought an item in the UK for 8.32 and paid a VAT of 1.67 giving a value of exactly 20%.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by LANDLORD72: 12:37pm On Aug 06, 2019
Abdulazeez99:
Nigerians have condemned the Federal Government’s proposed five per cent Value Added Tax (VAT) on online purchases.

The move, the government has said, is to raise revenue to fund the 2019 N8.9 trillion budget.

Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Babatunde Fowler, said the government might appoint banks as agents to deduct five per cent VAT on all local online purchases with a bank card.

In an interview, Fowler said the policy could be in place by early next year.

Fowler, however, said the preferred choice for the government would be expanding the country’s tax base rather than increasing existing VAT.

Nigerians have expressed displeasure at the proposed policy which they say would adversely affect tech startups and businesses which have contributed significantly to job creation, Igbere TV reports.

They also fear that the introduction of the policy could add to a growing number of existing charges that bank debit cardholders already face.

Source; http://igberetvnews.com/876489/nigerians-reacts-to-proposed-5-vat-on-online-purchases/

I see nothing wrong do you prefer recession again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2019
Online goods are more expensive than the ones in the market ,some are even twice the price of market sellers ,plus delivery charge ,now they want to add 5% VAT, Its the online stores that will suffer.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Salmoneus(m): 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2019
theenchanter:

All the money wey we Don produce since 1960 till now how far? The diezani and abacha loot could have removed Nigeria from poverty 100 times over....

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by JeffreyLiaison(m): 12:39pm On Aug 06, 2019
This is the reason Nigeria would not go anywhere.
They impose 5% VAT on online purchases to raise some cash that they want to put in there pocket.
May God help us

7 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by altoid: 12:39pm On Aug 06, 2019
Not cool at all.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by FarahAideed: 12:39pm On Aug 06, 2019
seunmsg:

Do you even know how VAT works at all ? You buharists just keep revealing yourselves are poorly educated all the time. For most goods VAT is collected at wholesale stage and is left for vendors to build it into the cost of every good ..There is nothing you already buy in Nigeria that doesn't have VAT already inbuilt into it

12 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Ikem11(m): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

Shatap.

I bought an item in the UK for 8.32 and paid a VAT of 1.67 giving a value of exactly 20%.

Are you comparing UK with Nigeria? See your mentality zombie.

UK was designed based on tax.. They have no single mineral resources... Your useless mind suppose make u ask where the billions of dollars crude brings to Nigeria go to that they have to tax citizens now to fund budget? Oga u go soon die..

14 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by ken6488(m): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2019
grin grin

It is just the begening

1gb =5k
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2019
haryothosyn93:
I will rather to the market than to pay 5% VAT . Where is the money?

I am not against the policy provided they are going to use it proper but someone somewhere will start embezzling the cash and we won't see any positive progress in the country called Nigeria.

Jesus wept !

Allah is looking!!

Ogun is observing!!!

Thunder is waiting!!!!

Items online are meant to be cheaper as the overheads are much smaller.

Also, the goods come to you rather than you going to it and they can come almost anytime of the day you wish, at least in theory.
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Nemesis909: 12:41pm On Aug 06, 2019
Ikem11:

Are you comparing UK with Nigeria? See your mentality zombie.

UK was designed based on tax.. They have no single mineral resources... Your useless mind suppose make u ask where the billions of dollars crude brings to Nigeria go to that they have to tax citizens now to fund budget? Oga u go soon die..

Shut up.

I gave you figures 4 times what we are proposing and you are running your mouth up and down

Don't let me call you a dummy.

By the way, stop regurgitating things you know nothing about.

Oil is found in the north sea , some in the UK sector.

Coal is found in Newcastle, hence the saying.

1 Like

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by FarahAideed: 12:42pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

Shatap.

You don't even know what VAT is so shut up . Go and get some education first before talking .. There is no single product in Nigeria that doesn't already have VAT built into it's pricing .. Go and do Business and learn how VAT works in Nigeria and stop disgracing yourself here

12 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by koboko69: 12:43pm On Aug 06, 2019
FarahAideed:

You are not a good thinker .. Do you realise the money inside personal bank accounts have already been taxed ?

And so what?
Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by Ikem11(m): 12:43pm On Aug 06, 2019
Nemesis909:

Shut up.

I gave you figures 4 times what we are proposing and you are running your mouth up and down

Don't let me call you a dummy.

You are as dummy as you can be already.

3 Likes

Re: Proposed 5% VAT On Online Purchases: Nigerians React by raphy(m): 12:43pm On Aug 06, 2019
born free but tax till death

of you shouting nice development may the 5℅ kee you there thief thief government.

thunder. go soon fire all thief who call themselves law maker ..they are the real law breakers.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari, Osinbajo To Spend ₦3.4 Billion On Feeding, Travels in 2021 / APC Should Be Begging Nigerians For Forgiveness, Not Campaigning - Mr Macaroni / APC To Hold One-Million-Man March This Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.