Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production (5913 Views)

Photo: Nollywood Need To Put A Stop To This Blundders. / Filmmaking Group For Artistic Nigerian Filmmakers / WHY NOLLYWOOD NEED ME. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by 234Ent(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2010
This is a good thread you've started RSAMAN. 

For an industry that is worth over $2.5 Billion dollars, they definitely need to step up their game in film-making. Anyone can produce a movie these days, but that is not what film-making is all about. You have to love what you do, and dedicate enough time to make it right for the public to appreciate.

For example: a lot of Nollywood directors/producers spend huge money building beautiful big houses, but hardly will they budget enough funds to produce a very good movie with great production. Yet, they complain about piracy. 

I honestly do not support film-making produced in less than six months; it's worthless. A good production should take at least a year and the half, if not more.

A typical example of a good movie with great production is IJE: The Journey - By Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Jalade, Clem Ohameze, etc

Kudos to Chineze Anyaene for this wonderful story and production!

Just as RSAMAN implied in his post: Nollywood producers need to "study". [Study how to make good movies. Attend an art institute overseas if possible]
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by InkedNerd(f): 8:06am On Oct 26, 2010
234Ent:

This is a good thread you've started RSAMAN. 

For an industry that is worth over $2.5 Billion dollars, they definitely need to step up their game in film-making. Anyone can produce a movie these days, but that is not what film-making is all about. You have to love what you do, and dedicate enough time to make it right for the public to appreciate.

For example: a lot of Nollywood directors/producers spend huge money building beautiful big houses, but hardly will they budget enough funds to produce a very good movie with great production. Yet, they complain about piracy. 

I honestly do not support film-making produced in less than six months; it's worthless. A good production should take at least a year and the half, if not more.

A typical example of a good movie with great production is IJE: The Journey - By Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Jalade, Clem Ohameze, etc

Kudos to Chineze Anyaene for this wonderful story and production!

Just as RSAMAN implied in his post: Nollywood producers need to "study". [Study how to make good movies. Attend an art institute overseas if possible]

One Nigerian American producer that I admire here in the US is Julius Onah. When I think of good production form someone of Nigerian decent his work comes to mind.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:05am On Oct 26, 2010
Nolly Movies continue to steal my hard-earned money and degrade my intelligence further. I see a movie poster with hot chicks almost buck-naked and when i buy the movie, there is not one inch of skin and the girl is uglier in the actual movies. This stinks, I want my money back, that wack director lance must stop parading himself as an Epic Director/Producer. his movies are pure con. I cannot continue to fall for 419 directors who use misleading posters and trailers to sell their movies angry I demand satisfaction angry
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by damola1: 9:56am On Oct 26, 2010
If I want to watch tech films, I know where to go.

If I want to watch real time, real life film, I go watch Yoruba film jejeli, btw, they make me laugh harder than any american commedy, they make me understand the realities of my society more, everytime.

The quality is good enough, if they wish to do better, I am sure they'll, but me, I enjoy it.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by pawa4ul: 10:04am On Oct 26, 2010
I AM TIRED OF HEARING A LOUDER BACKGROUND MUSIC THAN THE ACTOR'S/ACTRESS' VOICE. LET ME ASK THIS: MUST THERE BE MUSIC ACCOMPANYING THE MOVIES? I LISTEN TO OTHER MOVIES FROM AROUND THE WORLD AND WILL HEAR VERY WELL THE VOICES AND NOT MUSIC.
INSPITE OF ALL THE YABBIES THAT COMEDIANS HAVE UNLEASHED ON THE PRODUCERS/DIRECTORS, THEY STILL MAKE IT A MUSICAL MOVIE THAN HOME MOVIE.

NIGERIAN MOVIE SHOULD ACTUALLY BE BANNED FOR 5YRS
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by semid4lyfe(m): 10:09am On Oct 26, 2010
Too many people on this thread with "silly" blanket comments like:

Nollywood films are wack and so I don't watch them

Do people still watch Nollywood films? I stopped watching their films since primary school

Nothing bores me more than a Nollywood movie

The movie buffs know where I stand on Nollywood. Nollywood and I don't mix 

Hmmm. . .I'm wondering if not watching Nollywood movies is now a status symbol & an "elitist" thing and shows how cool one is?

I guess those who watch Nollywood films are the "razz" and local people.

Like I always say majority of the films are bad but there are still some (a few) good ones. One just has to dig thru' the heap to get these ones.

There are some directors/producers & production houses who churn out decent/v. good movies. . . I'm wondering if Tunde Kelani/Mainframe Production, Tade Ogidan, Jetta Amata, Kingsley Ogoro are not part of Nollywood?

Y'all need to upgrade your taste in Nollywood movies grin
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by Exponental(m): 10:46am On Oct 26, 2010
Nollywood this, Nollywood that! i wish I can spank them all!
Comedians insult them inform of jokes and yet they dont see any need 2 change.

they act like quacks. Pls talk 2 d profs u immitate 2 tell u how things are. the nature phenomena and other stuffs need to be applied
Plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by bisiaet: 10:57am On Oct 26, 2010
Well it is very unfortunate situation but may be as they grow on they will be doing their job well. I had watch some of this movies to be honest is somehow not very ok as I can put it though they did tried their best but at a point I will be pisse out to the point I asked myself do this Nolywood watch this films before final editing and do they watch it after final editing to do real check and balance with commonsense before releasing them out? Well only them can tell.

Some of the things they say sometime is so contraditing. Like a Nigeriam man died in South Africa and a Million U.S Dollar life Insurance pls where does this happened? A Nigeria guy studied in US and applied for A million US Dollar loan after his studies and he came back to Lagos to invest the cash please where does this happened? Which U.S state or bank gave such miracle loan? I am looking Abuja taxi and they are claiming they are in PorHarcourt this is very contradicting and misinformation there are lots more that I can not mention all they need to do to perfect their job is to pls ask and confirm what thay are acting on not just to make some silly ones outhere think it is just a matter of sleep and wake up and you are Dollarnaire it doesn work this way. No offense please.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by shollyboy2: 2:20pm On Oct 26, 2010
its only in nollywood that you will watch flashback inside another flashback, whack
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by iice(f): 3:31pm On Oct 26, 2010
semid4lyfe:

e pain you go hug transformer cheesy
Last time i checked everyone is entitled to his or her opinions, if you enjoy nollywood  good for you.
lmao @ fractured toes and frazzle egos.
Only in Niaja cheesy Walahi talahi, I go no die with laughter grin grin grin
Bluidy screwed up priorities cheesy
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by yabadabado: 3:40pm On Oct 26, 2010
THIS NONSENSE MUST STOP
an hausa man is always the gate man[i dey vex] , a calabar girl is always the maid.  this nepotism/tribalism in that induatry must stop. as if na only people from the eastern part of the nation fit speak ENGLISH!

i don't even know that nigerian girl on that nice ghanaian film"6hrs to christmas"

NOBODI DEY WATCH CHINESE FILMS AGAIN BECAUSE THE CRAP THEY PRODUCE WAS TOO MUCH FOR US.
nigerians  pls tell that   "info  minister "  to sit tight and change the strategy of laundering d image of naija by focusing more on some of the crap they produce from that industry. i believe in their future , gaskiya.
u watch a film and all you see is 1 single family trying to act a blockbuster.[ain't nothing wrong wit that if  dat 1 family get all the expert that is needed for a great movie ]

the mode of advertising  usually crack me up [same way wey dem don dey do am since the days of living in bondage].

often time , i wonder wat me friends from the caribbean island like about this films[not that there ain't gud 1ce  but the bad ones 2much ] they usually spoil  my swag in the face of this guyz who don't know sule about where i come from. me tink nigeria owe a lot to this eastern guyz but their urge for bucks usually make dem to throw every other requirement in the wind.
tunde kelani,emen isong,chico ejiro ,tade ogidan,lloyd weaver , busola holloway should get more education and improve the crap that have been polluting my world.
AN  AFRICAN PROVERB SAY "IT IS HOW U DESCRIBE UR CALABASH THAT PPLE WILL DESCRIBE IT, tell good stories about ma country and give hausa pple and yoruba pple some space/better still tell their own stories using their rural places as location [we all bring beauty to the table]  or  do pple tink say na hausa/fulani pple no fine reach pple from the south.  ma sis fine pas all dem  divas for  nollywood, yes
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by madprof(m): 5:52pm On Oct 26, 2010
Naija movies, the actors, actresses, the production, - everything - ain't nothing but shyt.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by madprof(m): 6:23pm On Oct 26, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Too many people on this thread with "silly" blanket comments like:

Nollywood films are wack and so I don't watch them

Do people still watch Nollywood films? I stopped watching their films since primary school

Nothing bores me more than a Nollywood movie

Hmmm. . .I'm wondering if not watching Nollywood movies is now a status symbol & an "elitist" thing and shows how cool one is?

I guess those who watch Nollywood films are the "razz" and local people.

Like I always say majority of the films are bad but there are still some (a few) good ones. One just has to dig thru' the heap to get these ones.

There are some directors/producers & production houses who churn out decent/v. good movies. . . I'm wondering if Tunde Kelani/Mainframe Production, Tade Ogidan, Jetta Amata, Kingsley Ogoro are not part of Nollywood?

Y'all need to upgrade your taste in Nollywood movies grin

Oga,
what does it say about an industry if you have to "dig through the heap" to see a good movie (if there is any, which I seriously doubt)? Some people who have taste are simply tired of being fed endless garbage in the name of movies. These are people who are real entertainment critics, they are not just watching because they want to be entertained with mediocrity.
The directors you have named above are probably not much better than the rest, otherwise everyone would've heard of them.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by yabadabado: 9:28pm On Oct 26, 2010
nigerian school have theatre departments in all the schools and i want to believe they are not all schools producing crap artist/practitioners.
they have to improve the curiculum to reflect what is obtainable at berkley  etc .
some of them no fit even compete with my poor use of the english language. put them on the stage and i go tink say my case of poor spoken/written is oxford standard.

and to ma ghanaian pals, way to go guyz,  i guess if u guyz don't succeed at somtin , ma contri no go wake up.  when nigerian elite heard tomatoes sellers dey use gsm[it stop being a status symbol, now every oyinbo wey no invest for our telecom dey cry for their room]. when your music video enter nigeria, then people know say na crap video na im kennis dey shoot for 2face, but now talib kwali dey com shoot video for naija and our videos now is being showed on BET here in the state/dem don dey move for som of dem sef.   and maybe when glo here say internet cheap well well for accra na im make im do the the sat 1 sef[who knows?].   anyways, i like dis country but would love ghana to achieve more things so naija go try improve on herself cus right now men, she ain't lookin attractive .
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by aminalib(f): 9:44pm On Oct 26, 2010
i think african movies in a whole could stand to do better, what i hate about nigerian movies are the commerical for other movies, one time me and my friends watched a movie for 15 minutes ONLY TO FIND OUT IT WAS A COMMERICAL TO ANOTHER MOVIE, i mean what would make me want to buy the movie after i watched almost all of it? also the story line are always the same,
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by Ruq: 1:00am On Oct 27, 2010
They will still Eff up even if they study film making. they just don't understand what a film is all about. even the stupid award shows dashes out awards without thinking everything about our movies is bleeped maybe a lil sha!
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by Nobody: 5:49am On Oct 27, 2010
wACK THREAD

if YOU DONT LIKE nOLLYWOOD MOVIES,THEN DONT WATCH 'EM.

Whats all the complaints about ?.They are improving gradually but if they arent improving fast enough for you,then watch something else

Jeez undecided
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by InkedNerd(f): 6:38am On Oct 27, 2010
Ruq:

They will still Eff up even if they study film making. they just don't understand what a film is all about. even the silly award shows dashes out awards without thinking everything about our movies is bleeped maybe a lil sha!

Lmao @ red part. Sometimes it seems like a lot of them are out to make a quick buck rather than involve themselves in the passion of movie making. I love films that have a lot of passion in terms of how its executed. I once took a film class when I was younger and by he time the class was over my appreciation for film making and and various styles of cinematography was over the top. At time when I watch Nigerian movies [which is rare now], I often find my self complaining about the panning of the camera(s) or the angling of certain scenes or the bad audio effects.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by otumfour(m): 3:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
sound control sux big time, they turn u into a sound controller by force, alwayz turning the volume up and down
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by Ruq: 12:34am On Oct 28, 2010
@inknerd i also complain alot about that its just so tiring. I was watching a movie and while recording the mic they used in recording could be seen at the tip of the tv screen and the continued maybe because they got tired of re-shooting that scene and they let that pass.

@Otum4 the sound part is worse i pity people with hypertension.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by plutonian: 2:07am On Oct 28, 2010
To STEEZE:

Thanks. You may send me your synopsis; we are looking for a script writer and a great story; multiple writers in fact. We are currently making arrangements for the auditions and interviews which I mentioned earlier for December 2010/January 2011; Please spread the word and do make plans to attend. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by steeze(m): 2:47am On Oct 28, 2010
Plutonian, great. I'll need your email address.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by phinter: 5:19pm On Oct 28, 2010
@Plutonian nice on man.
I too have been thinking about this change too and I hoped someday would meet like minds to work out something. I want to be an actor but I've been thinking about causing a change in our Nigerian movies. I realized that this change cannot come from just being an actor because I'd still have to act the same scripts and under the same producers and so I've decided to start from the story. Come February, By the grace of god, I hope to learn screen writing and film making at the Delyork/NYFA crash programme in Abuja. I believe one can make change starting from our stories then to the directing et al. I am currently a copywriter in an advertising agency but would like to pursue this course ASAP. Lets talks some more, would like to be a part of this revolution.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by phinter: 5:26pm On Oct 28, 2010
@Steeze wouldn't mind to learn some skills from you. Watch ya say? You sound like a bad screen writer, lets talk.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by steeze(m): 1:43am On Oct 29, 2010
I'm not all that but I try. Sure, let's talk.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by phinter: 11:31am On Oct 29, 2010
@Steez ma email is steplord@yahoo.com, wats urs?
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by gal90: 4:24pm On Oct 29, 2010
To plutonian:

Am interested in what you guys are abt to do and dont mind getting invovled. In terms of styling ,
Let me no what you think and we can take it from their.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by steeze(m): 4:35pm On Oct 29, 2010
Phinter, mine is xclusiveed@yahoo.com
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by plutonian: 10:43am On Nov 05, 2010
TO Steeze, Phinter,
I have sent an email to both of you. Send me a sample or synopsis of your work for us to assess.

TO Gal90,
Are you into anything specific in the industry (you mentioned styling in your post; do you mean styling as in for the makeup and design aspects?) Please expatiate. Thank you.
Re: Nollywood Need To Study filmmaking and production by Vieira(m): 11:42pm On Jan 03, 2011
One major problem that Nollywood faces is that there is no motivation to spend money on a production due to piracy.

Hence they idea of making films as cheap as possible, which leads to poor quality generally.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Name Your Best And Worst Korean Drama/tv Series / How To Download/stream Any Tv Series, Movies Or Football Match / Have You Seen Avatar?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.