Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,630 members, 7,955,307 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:08 PM

Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK (4535 Views)

Viral Video: What Zimbabweans Think Of Nigerians Will Surprise You! / 5 Common Visa Interview Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Chances / Nigeria Will Soon Begin Local Production Of E-passports,-Dambazau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Timmypromise(m): 9:04pm On Aug 06, 2019
genq:

My broda don't say what you don't know.
Have you attended FoL in London? If you see crowd, your body go shock! Have you attended a match in the UK where Nigeria is playing? Have you seen the number of rccg churches in the UK? Have you wondered how everyone in Nigeria seems to have one or two friends /family members in the UK? That country is currently holding the largest chunk of all our citizens abroad.

I think you are right
But the reason why most Nigerians migrate to UK cuz British are lazy to do some work
My friend in Liverpool explain that to me
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Mancala: 11:50pm On Aug 06, 2019
genq:

Have you attended FoL in London? If you see crowd, your body go shock! Have you attended a match in the UK where Nigeria is playing? Have you seen the number of rccg churches in the UK? Have you wondered how everyone in Nigeria seems to have one or two friends /family members in the UK? That country is currently holding the largest chunk of all our citizens abroad.

Your assertions are anecdotal. I am talking hard statistical facts.
"That country is currently holding the largest chunk of all our citizens abroad."
It only appears to be so because there are large concentrations of Nigerians in particular places in the U.K. For example, London and its environs. It may interest you to know that Nigeria is not even in the top 10 countries with foreign citizens in the U.K. despite the fact that we have been going there in seemingly large numbers since the 1950's. Like I said before, we are not even up to 20 percent of the Indians or even Pakistanis in that country.
And BTW, there are now more Nigerians in the U.S. than in the U.K. We are more spread out across various cities unlike being concentrated in a small area like London.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Mancala: 11:57pm On Aug 06, 2019
Timmypromise:

I think you are right
But the reason why most Nigerians migrate to UK cuz British are lazy to do some work
My friend in Liverpool explain that to me

One of the main reasons Nigerians started to migrate to Britain is because of education and trade. Historically, the easiest place Nigerians could get a higher education was in the U.K. in addition, there were a lot of foreign companies that traded with Nigeria and we had lots of Nigerian businessmen going back and forth to buy and sell. A lot of Nigerians stayed back when it wasn't a big deal and we have always seen London as our own vacation playground before tourism opened up in other countries.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Beautyaddy: 12:18am On Aug 07, 2019
genq:

Mancala:

Your assertions are anecdotal. I am talking hard statistical facts.
"That country is currently holding the largest chunk of all our citizens abroad."
It only appears to be so because there are large concentrations of Nigerians in particular places in the U.K. For example, London and its environs. It may interest you to know that Nigeria is not even in the top 10 countries with foreign citizens in the U.K. despite the fact that we have been going there in seemingly large numbers since the 1950's. Like I said before, we are not even up to 20 percent of the Indians or even Pakistanis in that country.
And BTW, there are now more Nigerians in the U.S. than in the U.K. We are more spread out across various cities unlike being concentrated in a small area like London.

Hmmmm…I think geng might be right though.

We all know that the relationship and travels between the UK and Nigeria has been going on even before Nigeria's Independence and so it was easy and more affordable for most Nigerians to migrate and establish permanent presence in the UK.

I want to assume that most Nigerians high presence in the US became more popular when the US started the DV lottery and the US started becoming more laxed with their visiting visas approvals.

If you ask most Nigerians if they had to choose for permanent presence between the UK and US if both countries were easily opened to it most Nigerians will choose the UK because of its shorter flight distance or cheaper cost of flights
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Mancala: 1:01am On Aug 07, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Hmmmm…I think geng might be right though.

We all know that the relationship and travels between the UK and Nigeria has been going on even before Nigeria's Independence and so it was easy and more affordable for most Nigerians to migrate and establish permanent presence in the UK.

I want to assume that most Nigerians high presence in the US became more popular when the US started the DV lottery and the US started becoming more laxed with their visiting visas approvals.

If you ask most Nigerians if they had to choose for permanent presence between the UK and US if both countries were easily opened to it most Nigerians will choose the UK because of its shorter flight distance or cheaper cost of flights

I used to be of the same opinion as you until I saw the facts. I have access to more recent accurate data than easily accessible due to my job, but these are not secret numbers. Some of the data I have quoted is readily available on the internet through official government websites. I even strongly believe that the U.S. numbers are understated because of the relative ease of sneaking in through a land border. On the other hand, the U.K. numbers are much more accurate. This country is an island. If you are there, you are more likely to have presented yourself at an immigration point of entry. Even if you add another 50k people assuming they sneaked in through Calais on a goods truck or swam across the channel, the U.S. understated officials numbers are still higher.
Here's another statistic that surprised me. Lagos state is said to be very densely populated with people falling over each other in the streets. Do you know that there are more registered vehicles in the state of California than there are people in Lagos state?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by nlPoster: 1:16am On Aug 07, 2019
Mancala:

Here's another statistic that surprised me. Lagos state is said to be very densely populated with people falling over each other in the streets. Do you know that there are more registered vehicles in the state of California than there are people in Lagos state?

What is the meaning of this again nitori Olorun?
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Mancala: 1:32am On Aug 07, 2019
In case you missed it..... My point is that appearances can be deceptive. The numbers will set you straight.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Beautyaddy: 1:38am On Aug 07, 2019
Mancala:

I used to be of the same opinion as you until I saw the facts. I have access to more recent accurate data than easily accessible due to my job, but these are not secret numbers. Some of the data I have quoted is readily available on the internet through official government websites. I even strongly believe that the U.S. numbers are understated because of the relative ease of sneaking in through a land border. On the other hand, the U.K. numbers are much more accurate. This country is an island. If you are there, you are more likely to have presented yourself at an immigration point of entry. Even if you add another 50k people assuming they sneaked in through Calais on a goods truck or swam across the channel, the U.S. understated officials numbers are still higher.

Really??...Please post the link to this official government website.
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Mancala: 2:01am On Aug 07, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Really??...Please post the link to this official government website.

I cannot share more recent/accurate reports that I have access to but these tell the same story

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/numberofnigerianslivingintheuk

https://cis.org/Report/US-Immigrant-Population-Hit-Record-437-Million-2016

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by galadima77(m): 3:10am On Aug 07, 2019
Oga OP is it your migration? Or are they coming to eat in your house over there? Someone can not runaway and have peace again abi?
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by grandstar(m): 3:28am On Aug 07, 2019
genq:
It is undeniable that in the last 5 years, there has been an upsurge in emigration of Nigerians to Canada - this can be likened to the mass emigration to the UK which took place in the early 2000s (and is still ongoing amongst doctors today).

The UK (especially London) has now become an extension of Lagos - Nigerians turned areas like Peckham and Woolwich into Lagos-like slums and UK lost its glory in the eyes of some of us back here in Nigeria.

As mass emigration grew at an alarming rate, the UK then decided to tighten their immigration policies, scraping the post-study Visa thus sending students back as soon as their studies were over - This in turn made Nigerians retort back by somewhat "boycotting" the UK - People began to speak on how the UK is useless, how people are doing menial jobs etc.. youtubers and nairalanders posting content to discourage people from relocating etc.. (classic case of rejecting before being rejected) undecided

Today, we see the same cycle being repeated with the mass emigration of Nigerians to Canada. It is fair to say that in the next 20 years, it is highly possible that mega cities like Toronto and Vancouver will be laden with Nigerian-infested slums similar to Peckham and Woolwich in London. Then the over-familiarity will launch the same vicious cycle of bad-mouthing Canada.

After Nigerians ruin Canada and Canada begins to close its gates to us, Nigerians will once again flock to the next "trendy" country and the cycle continues..

Many thanks for your article. It made interesting reading.

Immigration, emigration or whatever is a very deep issue.

Nigerians began to flee enmasse in the mid 1980's when the Naira was devalued by about 75%. The Naira went from if I was correct from $1 to N1 to like$1 to N4. The devaluation was what sparked the exodus.

Prior to that, though the economy had been in recession since 1982 with heavy job losses, the catalyst was the devaluation in 1986. I was in secondary school then and it became flooded with many returnee Nigerian students from the UK as their Nigeria based parents could no longer afford the cost of an education overseas

I've learnt Peckham is the home of Nigerian there. About them turning it into a ghetto, I never knew it was once a respectable part of London. It's in East London where the lower classes tend to reside anyway.

You need to know that it is very rare anywhere in the world for first generation immigrants to do very well. The second generation do better than their parents and it is the third generation that become fully established.

That's beginning to happen in earnest. Children born to Nigerians had the 5th best results in the British equivalent of the GCE.

Also, when new migrants come in large numbers, they form their own "Peckams". The Italians who started landing in the US in the late 19th and early 20th century stayed in Brooklyn and the Bronx in NYC. The Jamaicans in London made Brixton their home. It's the pattern.

The Italians were despised and faced a lot of discrimination. They also brought with them the Mafia.

Now that the Italians are generations old, most have left the Bronx and Brooklyn and have settled down in nicer parts of town. Actors such as Al Pacino, Sylvester Stallone, Joe Pesci are all of Italian stock.

Now in the UK, there many actors of Nigerian descent, the 2 most popular are Boyega (Star Wars)and Chiwetel (Lead actor in "12 years a slave".)

Also, Canada isn't England. Most Nigerians who travelled to UK went there as illegal immigrants so suffer from a glass ceiling. Theirs a limit to what they can achieve. Also, many are either poorly skilled or they have problems integrating.

Canada is different. Most Nigerians who move there do so not only legally, but with very good education credentials. So, their prospects are much brighter and are destined to have a middle class existence.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 07, 2019
CHARACTERISTICS of a BLACKMAN;
- dirty
- crafty
- greedy
- wasteful
- religious
- unkempt.
- tribalistic.
- impatient.
- aggressive
- destructive.
- wickedness
- complicated.
- shortsighted.
- loud mouthed.
- proud and empty.
For the TRUTH will always be bitter
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by babasolution: 8:54am On Aug 07, 2019
EVILFOREST:

CHARACTERISTICS of a BLACKMAN;
- dirty
- crafty
- greedy
- wasteful
- religious
- unkempt.
- tribalistic.
- impatient.
- aggressive
- destructive.
- wickedness
- complicated.
- shortsighted.
- loud mouthed.
- proud and empty.
For the TRUTH will always be bitter
More likely characteristics of yourself

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by luvlyoracle(m): 11:03am On Aug 07, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Huh, you think?

Nigerians will find a way by all means to get to Canada.

Yes, even if just getting a visiting visa to Canada might take long and seem hard because they don't do face-to-face interview like the US does...some Nigerians are using the US student visa route after studies to migrate into Canada in doves.

I know of some family friends who have used such route to get into Canada.

Another loophole some Nigerians are using to get into Canada is through asylum...some through the US-Canada border and some after getting into Canada after granting them the Canadian visiting visas.
Hello..pls can I send you a pm or drop ur number lets talk.. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Will Soon Ruin Canada Like They Ruined UK by luvlyoracle(m): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2019
Tina26:
all the best. i haved lived in UK, been to canada, going back to canada as soon as my PR comes out. no be everything dem dey tell person. ask your self why people are going for asylum paroles instead of illegal immigrant. even if you are denied the asylum. in 3 years you should have made enough to set you up in nigeria or elsewhere.
hello.... Goodmorning.
Pls can I send u a pm or drop ur number lets chat

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dana Air Supports Nigerian Economic Summit 23 / Anyone Here Going For The Dubai Shopping Festival? / Road Accidents Reduced By 62 % – FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.