Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

UK Disbars Ex-lawmaker, Fiona Onasanya, For Lying - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Disbars Ex-lawmaker, Fiona Onasanya, For Lying (362 Views)

Asari Dokubo Carries AK47, Blasts Obidients For 'Lying About 2 Million March' / Tobias Okwuru: APC Clarifies Buhari's Appointment Of 'Dead' Ex Lawmaker / Tobias Okwuru: Buhari Appoints Dead Ex-lawmaker To Board Of Federal Character (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Disbars Ex-lawmaker, Fiona Onasanya, For Lying by Ctorch: 1:13pm On Aug 07, 2019
A former UK lawmaker , Fiona Onasanya, who was jailed for perverting the course of justice and deposed as a Member of Parliament , has been struck off the list of solicitors in the UK.
According to Daily Mail, Onasanya was struck off as a solicitor on Tuesday and accused of failing the public after being jailed for lying to avoid a speeding conviction .
The former MP was asked to appear before a three -man panel at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal in central London.

She arrived for the hearing with her mother Paulina and told the disciplinary tribunal that she was innocent . However , she was still struck off the roll of solicitors.
Edward Nally , chairman of the panel said , “As a parliamentarian makes the law so a solicitor must uphold the law and rule of law , and sadly , in this case , Ms Onasanya has failed in those duties .
‘ We must strike off Ms Onasanya from the roll of solicitors. ’
The tribunal found she acted dishonestly , failed to act with integrity and failed to behave in a way that maintains the trust the public places in her .
“ I always said , and I maintain that I did not do an act intending and intended to pervert the course of justice . I have pointed out that it was not said that I was driving the car that was not part of the issue, ” Onasanya told the panel in her defence .
The ex - lawyer was caught doing 41mph in a 30 mph zone on The Causeway in Thorney , Cambridgeshire , shortly after 10 :00 p. m . on 24 July 2017 – but told police she was not behind the wheel .
She was jailed for three months following an Old Bailey trial , for perverting the course of justice .
Onasanya lost her parliamentary seat shortly afterward.

https://punchng.com/uk-disbars-ex-lawmaker-fiona-onasanya-for-lying/?fbclid=IwAR3SoYOjMlDHLAjZOrfjeA8WprruX9M7sX1We8R0R2uOWYb6aBYLU0KYXAM
Re: UK Disbars Ex-lawmaker, Fiona Onasanya, For Lying by adadike(f): 2:15pm On Aug 07, 2019
shocked what a shame!
Re: UK Disbars Ex-lawmaker, Fiona Onasanya, For Lying by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:51pm On Aug 07, 2019
...this is in a country where the rule of law operates very well...if this happens in nigeria...all manner of excuses will be given...

(1) (Reply)

Adeboye Calls For Recognition Of Traditional Rulers / Hearken To The Cries Of Nigerians – Oba Of Benin Tells Buhari / Buhari Is Not God! Justice Can Reign In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.