Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange (10203 Views)

Jumia Shares Drop 17% After Q2 Results, Investors React Negatively / Jumia Shares Tumbles As Konga's Parent Company, Zinox Group, Mulls Acquisition / Coronavirus: Oil Price Fall Below $60 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Ravon: 11:40pm On Aug 07, 2019
Four months after a landmark launch on the New York Stock Exchange, e-commerce giant, Jumia’s shares has crashed below its IPO price. After launching its IPO at $14.50 per share, the mid-point of its initial share price range, Jumia’s shares reached an all-time low of $14.02 before recovering to close at $14.57 on Monday, August 5th.

By Tuesday, it continued to fall by 1.7% to $14.31.

The price dip comes after a weak run for most of July which resulted in a downward price trend and several days of consecutive losses.

The trend suggests that the stock price is unlikely to rally with more trades below its IPO launch price imminent.

That outlook contrasts sharply with Jumia’s early-day run on the New York Stock Exchange, given a strong opening fortnight amid the novelty of its listing as the first major Africa-focused tech company on the exchange.

At one point in the period, Jumia’s shares were seen trading at three times its IPO launch price. This matched predictions from investors versed in backing e-commerce companies that Jumia would be subject to high interest.

But, as the stock price trend reflects, the positive run and investor enthusiasm has proved ephemeral.

Ominously, Jumia’s share price slide first came amid claims of fraud by Citron Research, a known short stock seller.

Citron alleged fraud, citing discrepancies in Jumia’s S1 IPO filing with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and an earlier confidential investor presentation.

In response during its first quarterly earnings call following the IPO, Jumia stood by its prospectus and transparency.

However, the company’s operating loss widened year-on-year with the $51 million (€45.5 million) operating loss recorded in the first quarter of 2019 meaning that, Jumia had accumulated over $1 billion in losses since inception in 2012.

But the company’s stock has not been able to shake off speculation with at least two law firms issuing press releases claiming Jumia is under investigation and trying to organize class-action lawsuits. Neither Jumia nor the SEC has disclosed any investigation in this period.

One obvious way to ensure the long-term health of its stock is for Jumia to show a sustainable path to profitability.

Even though the objective of profits is unlikely to be achieved soon as Jumia maintains expensive operations across 14 different African markets, the company is taking steps towards growing its customer base to impact revenues. Last week, it launched a partnership to set up pick-up stations at Vivo Energy’s over 2,000 fuel station outlets across African countries.

The move essentially extends Jumia’s retail network beyond online-only customers by allowing customers to place and pick-up orders through physical stations.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/08/07/jumia-shares-fall-below-ipo-price-on-new-york-stock-exchange/

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by SpatialKing(m): 5:04am On Aug 08, 2019
Wow.. When you have not performed well in Nigeria stock market and you are expecting to do well in New York stock... Smh

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Holyfield1(m): 5:04am On Aug 08, 2019
Smh
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Oweku: 5:04am On Aug 08, 2019
tongue
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Gentlewarrior1(m): 5:06am On Aug 08, 2019
This bubari regime Bleep many things up no be small

Directly and indirectly

6 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by miqos02(m): 5:07am On Aug 08, 2019
Normal tins
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by kolafolabi(m): 5:07am On Aug 08, 2019
Holyfield1:
It's a welcome development

A welcome development?

6 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by TechCapon(m): 5:07am On Aug 08, 2019
Every company's share in the world falls. That's why Huawei founder refused to list the company in any stock market. When Facebook shares crashed to an all time low because of scandals, Zuckerberg almost lost his position as chairman/ceo.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by defolman(m): 5:09am On Aug 08, 2019
It will rise with time
.check out my signature if u wanna smell good
cool

1 Like

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Nobody: 5:09am On Aug 08, 2019
Jumia is not worth $14.50

Just a nice Exit Strategy for the PE Investors and if my experience in IPOs serves me right, this is just the best maturity period for the smart venture capitalist stakeholders to exit the deal structure with a chunk of ROI.

I can't wait to list my companies and relocate to Monaco, where I will leave my bones on the sands of time.

14 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Nobody: 5:12am On Aug 08, 2019
Social media having sections for online business and dropshiping has taken the market from businesses like Jumia and konga..

Before:
Alibaba - Amazon - Jumia - instgram - individuals..

Now:
Alibaba - Amazon - instagram - individuals..

Next:
Alibaba - Amazon - Individuals..

Future:
Alibaba - Individuals..

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by spafu(m): 5:18am On Aug 08, 2019
That's serious
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Rajosh(m): 5:25am On Aug 08, 2019
I will buy when it falls to $1
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by playboy19(m): 5:28am On Aug 08, 2019
Jumia for a fact has always been overvalued. It was well pumped at IPO. The PE investors, the owners, and the underwriter made a killing skinning Americans off their greens. They knew they couldn't fulfill such on NSE cos we don't have such liquidity, hence they took it to NASDAQ or was it NYSE?

4 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by NnamdiN: 5:28am On Aug 08, 2019
Useless people. With the curses vendors lay on them daily.
These guys will ruin you if you're not strong at heart

4 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Jchi9876: 5:28am On Aug 08, 2019
Listing on the NYSE was just a dumb market boosting idea and media facelift

They will crash out completely very soon..
The retail industry in the USA is already saturated enough.
Nobody is buying shit From Africa

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 08, 2019
VRDroid:
Jumia is not worth $14.50

Just a nice Exit Strategy for the PE Investors and if my experience in IPOs serves me right, this is just the best maturity period for the smart venture capitalist stakeholders to exit the deal structure with a chunk of ROI.

I can't wait to list my companies and relocate to Monaco, where I will leave my bones on the sands of time.

On the money! You know the game grin

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Nobody: 5:32am On Aug 08, 2019
bLacKGoLd3:

On the money! You know the game grin

That is an understatement. I am the 'game'. grin

3 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 08, 2019
People still do stocks

undecided
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by wman(m): 5:38am On Aug 08, 2019
Damn. Over $1 billion in losses shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by cenaman(m): 5:39am On Aug 08, 2019
I thought jumia is an indegenous company what is it doing in new york stock exchange?

1 Like

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by cenaman(m): 5:43am On Aug 08, 2019
Can someone explain to me! we have Nigeria stock exchange, "no lagos stock exchange" now we NY stock exchange why not AMERICA (USA) stock exchange?
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by sonnie10: 6:03am On Aug 08, 2019
cenaman:
Can someone explain to me! we have Nigeria stock exchange, "no lagos stock exchange" now we NY stock exchange why not AMERICA (USA) stock exchange?
Just a name because of where it is located
Back to topic. . .
Jumia cannot compete internationally because most of the items sold on the site are imported. People in other countries can as well buy from the original source. Nigeria does not manufacture much, there is no comparative advantage.
You don’t expect to import from China to Nigeria and have people from from say UK or US buy from you on Nigeria site.
So, Jumia is only left with Nigerian consumers who do not have a lot of disposable incomes. Hence, doing business in Naira and balancing books in Dollars would be challenging in terms of profitability. Moreover, there is nowhere they would survive any competition internationally with companies like Amazon, eBay and alibaba/?aliexpress

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by adaweezy(m): 6:08am On Aug 08, 2019
cenaman:
Lagos used to be LSE too

3 Likes

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by AleAirHub(m): 6:16am On Aug 08, 2019
Interesting
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by AmakaAnyaogu: 6:24am On Aug 08, 2019
Meanwhile, are you a student or a job seek: Take advantage of the free Monthly Trading program on Volatility index sponsored by Beverly Africa.
For more information:

Visit: GiverToken.org/projects
Or send an email: infobeverlyaba@gmail.com
encoretradingnetwork@gmail.com

Dateline for registration: Every 28th day of the month,
Registration is free.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by YorubaKing: 6:25am On Aug 08, 2019
All cuz they wanna be listed on the NYSE when it isn't sustainable. Nonsense! angry

1 Like

Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Isoduwa(m): 6:27am On Aug 08, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:
This bubari regime Bleep many things up no be small

Directly and indirectly

Early 2019
You say sir baba
Middle of 2019
You say this Buhari regime Bleep

Na me say sir baba till 2030
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by valentinenw(f): 7:10am On Aug 08, 2019
Let me not say what's on my mind
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 08, 2019
Its a matter of time
Re: Jumia Shares Fall Below IPO Price On New York Stock Exchange by martineverest(m): 7:16am On Aug 08, 2019
SpatialKing:
Wow.. When you have not performed well in Nigeria stock market and you expecting to do well in New York stock... Smh
every company stick price fluctuates...
Microsoft,appple ,Google, Amazon, Facebook etc lost over 300 billion dollars in past 3 days...the whole of USA ,Europe and Asia experienced large stock drop after trump's announced he will increase tax in Chinese goods

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What It Takes To Establish A Bureau De Change(experts Only, No Clowning.thanks!) / Plz, Where Can I Purchase This Biscuit In Bulk / Good News_you Can Now Withdraw Ur Payza Earnings Direct To Ur Visa/Credit Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.