Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,366 members, 7,829,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' (43997 Views)

30 Students Of Ambrose Alli University Took Exams, Graduated While Living Abroad / Borno Nursing School Suspended 30 Students For Not Welcoming Buhari / EFCC Storms LAUTECH, 30 Students Arrested So Far (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 6:00am On Aug 08, 2019
Ayotemide:

Irani WO leleyi nso?

You would say all these if your relative died in that avoidable death abi.

Read my number 2 point again, slowly

And make the appropriate infrences

Good morning.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 6:01am On Aug 08, 2019
MondayOsunbor:

na inferior material . university with engeering department can not construct a bridge!

Not just inferior material, they didn't take into account the fact that a high load of students could cross the bridge.

And it isn't just civil engineering, architecture, building departments...where were they?
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Abdul9025(m): 6:07am On Aug 08, 2019
Abdul9025:
dis VC is crazy...Selfie in the night? .. in dat Forrest, oh please.. let him go and fine another excuse.. this useless people and the media keep hiding the number of people die.. we are talking about more than15 people they keep saying 3 to 5 people..Nigeria my country

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by africanusvu(m): 6:07am On Aug 08, 2019
Mightyhaiz:
What does it matter what they were doing on the bridge,..? Taking pictures on a bridge is now a taboo? Was there a signpost against taking pictures on the bridge?
,so to u it doesnt matter 30student standing on a suspention bridge at same time static?even river benue dnt need such static load,so bridge that have been there for long it is only that day they remember selfy,what sense ar u making,these ar uni students for that mattet even if not engr student they shld av known it is dangerouz

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Obeghare(m): 6:09am On Aug 08, 2019
Oga VC why you dey do like Lie Mohammed.
Our leaders don't want to take any blame for their in efficiencies

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by BlackDuke(m): 6:10am On Aug 08, 2019
Pictures of the selfie or I don't believe it.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by badman007(m): 6:15am On Aug 08, 2019
Students of defunct Benin technical college can build a more solid bridge.

Who awarded the contract to such an incompetent engineer? Who build the shoddy bridge? Police oh..

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by thunderbabs: 6:17am On Aug 08, 2019
North sha.. So, simple concrete bridge, school cannot build there, huh? Smh

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by dotunbidemi: 6:18am On Aug 08, 2019
Let's pretend they are taking selfie, does that necessarily implies that the bridge ought to collapse? This is what happens when bunch of Idiots are in power

3 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by adanny01(m): 6:19am On Aug 08, 2019
tundemania:
The Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, has denied it is searching for missing students after the collapse of a bridge in the school reportedly claimed the lives of four students.

A metallic bridge linking the hostels and lecture halls collapsed at about 11.45pm on Monday following a downpour which caused flooding in the school. Seven students were reportedly injured, with some missing.

But ATBU Vice-Chancellor, Muhammad Abdullazeez, who conventional Bauchi official head Bala Mohammed, who rewarded him a concern outing on Wednesday, held they shortly establish out that three students died.

He said, “The management felt that it was necessary to construct a metal bridge for between 10 and 15 people at a time. It was not meant for static loads but for dynamic loads, that means, you don’t stand on it, you just pass.

The reports we received from some of the students were that when the rain had stopped and the students were about crossing, they found the scene excellent for them to take selfies.

So they started from two and before you could realise it, there were more than 30 students on the bridge standing, and that bridge was not meant for people to stand.

Some of the students could not pass and had to also stand, and the bridge suddenly collapsed and that was how we lost three students. As of today we don’t have any student missing.

Based on our records, no student is missing for now. Three students –two from Kogi State and one from Benue State – were confirmed dead. Two females and a male and they were all from the department of business education and management studies.

Abdullazeez said they had set up a committee to investigate the incident.

He thanked the state government and the security agencies for their intervention.

The governor commiserated with the families of the deceased, the school authorities and students over the incident.

Mohammed said the visit was to assess the areas that required urgent attention, pledging that the state government would fix the collapsed bridge.

Source; https://maniagist.com/2019/08/08/30-students-were-on-bridge-taking-selfies-abtu-vice-chancellor/

Wtf, who takes selfies almost midnight on a bridge after a heavy rainfall stopped me from going to the hostel when i have an exam to write.

They dont need to lie, they were probably snapping the flash flood not taking selfies.

Besides, the dynamic and static excuse is lame. Whoever awarded the job and designed the makeshift brigde should be caught and made to face the law because a bridge should be made to be safe and carry both dynamic and static loads. They caused loss of life, they need to apologise and condole not blame or deny responsibility.

This VC needs to be fired for this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by unite4real: 6:20am On Aug 08, 2019
tundemania:

But ATBU Vice-Chancellor, Muhammad Abdullazeez, who conventional Bauchi official head Bala Mohammed, who rewarded him a concern outing on Wednesday, held they shortly establish out that three students died.

Source; https://maniagist.com/2019/08/08/30-students-were-on-bridge-taking-selfies-abtu-vice-chancellor/

Read the bolded over and over. Am I the only one that couldn't understand it?

4 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Enyimbamercedes: 6:20am On Aug 08, 2019
success1smyn:
Why on earth will a bridge on school campus not be able to hold 30 students at a time?

Depends on the design criteria! They probably never expected 30 people would ever be stationary on the bridge. It’s called static load. If they keep moving, it probably would not collapse but them staying stationary on the bridge at once.

The engineer never thought a scenario would play out that 30 students would be so captivated with a flood and all stand on the bridge at one... I’m sure if he did he would have over-designed it to hold 50...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by badman007(m): 6:22am On Aug 08, 2019
africanusvu:
,so to u it doesnt matter 30student standing on a suspention bridge at same time static?even river benue dnt need such static load,so bridge that have been there for long it is only that day they remember selfy,what sense ar u making,these ar uni students for that mattet even if not engr student they shld av known it is dangerouz

Slave mentality syndrome is high in your case. People are humans, not caged animals. It is the responsibility of the VC and authorities to make the bridge safe, meeting all health and safety standards. With hazard and Warning signs in and around the place.
Probe the weak infrastructure in a university environment instead. What are those engineers good for?

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Dokimazo(f): 6:23am On Aug 08, 2019
Its just pathetic the way our leaders lie just to absolves themselves of blames. until we are people willing to take responsibilities of faults; we have a long way to go.
Imagine the vice Chancellor politicising the event and the lives lost. Why didn't he speak on the absence of a single staff personnel in the school, not even a security personnel to assist, the delay in Ambulance response, the lack of medical aids and staff in the school clinic, the poor response to help Even when there is an Airforce base nearby and the fact that for a school that pride itself in engineering studies; that bridge was a failure to them. moreso the death toll is more than 3.
Blames doesn't change what has happened, but taking responsibility objectively creates platform for growth and development.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by martineverest(m): 6:26am On Aug 08, 2019
liar... trying to shift blames

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by adanny01(m): 6:26am On Aug 08, 2019
unite4real:

Read the bolded over and over. Am I the only one that couldn't understand it

I read that sentence over 3 times and gave up to proceed

3 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by autonomous22: 6:27am On Aug 08, 2019
something dey said happened at midnight.... VC is telling lies

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by djmaxell: 6:29am On Aug 08, 2019
lies, lies, lies-------------------------------------------------
How can 30 students be taking selfie at the same time? The response just don't make sense. So, does it mean that after a heavy downpour the next agenda was to take a selfie... Useless school management making lame excuse for their ineptitude after looting infrastructure funds and erecting substandard/weak structures.

To my fellow Nairalanders, please evaluate the sanity and logic presented in a post before making comments rather than just digesting every bit of news without proper evaluation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Skoopy(m): 6:30am On Aug 08, 2019
VC sounded unreasonable with this piece, is there anytime the students were briefed on the terms of using the bridge? Where they notices detailing the VCs explanations pasted before or on the bridge? They are just trying to shy away from the blame and putting same on the death.

3 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by 27Pushing30: 6:33am On Aug 08, 2019
success1smyn:
Why on earth will a bridge on school campus not be able to hold 30 students at a time?

Azzin I’m deeply upset by this response and the parents and students (affected or not ) should sue! I’m even tempted to advise worse!

This is a school??!! Like what the Bleep! How can a school administrator display such ignorance?

4 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by cooljoe(m): 6:34am On Aug 08, 2019
U are building a bridge that won't be able to take up to 30 persons at a time in a university? Nothing wey Musa no go c for gate.

3 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by adanny01(m): 6:35am On Aug 08, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:

Depends on the design criteria! They probably never expected 30 people would ever be stationary on the bridge. It’s called static load. If they keep moving, it probably would not collapse but them staying stationary on the bridge at once.

The engineer never thought a scenario would play out that 30 students would be so captivated with a flood and all stand on the bridge at one... I’m sure if he did he would have over-designed it to hold 50...

The responsibility of a structural engineer is to predict forces on a structure. He is fully responsible for predicting dynamic and static loads on a bridge. He had no excuse not to estimate static loads on this bridge so he failed. The school needs to take responsibility or pick the scape goat who is the engineer not blame the victims. That's an insult to common sense.

I bet you, the Civil Engineering dept was never consulted on that structure let alone been designed by a qualified engr for that matter.

The VC knows that every responsibility will fall at his table so he is diverting attention from himself.

3 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 6:38am On Aug 08, 2019
And thirty students deserved such cruel death as punishment for taking selfies on the nonexistent bridge? shocked shocked

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by deltateam: 6:39am On Aug 08, 2019
I will take this report with a pinch of salt, nevertheless its not far from what our youths can do.

I was walking when I saw a girl standing on the road and taking selfies for up to 2 minutes on a morning o. I was like, *Doesn't she have something important to do?"
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by deltateam: 6:41am On Aug 08, 2019
Darkseid:
30 students were taking selfies around 11pm, make this old men take softly dey lie na.

Are you a student there?
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by ElsonMorali: 6:41am On Aug 08, 2019
Stupid idiot of a VC. When you design and construct a bridge, you make allowance for people standing on it.

It's just like saying an overhead bridge was designed for people to just pass quickly. What a load of garbage.

If the VC can be this dumb, I wonder what the lecturers are teaching the students in that school.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by oluwasegun007(m): 6:43am On Aug 08, 2019
Don't mind them VC,

Bridge was meant to accommodate 3.per time....

Lubbish kontry... Yeye official

And you'll have student study civil engineering in that school... Is such facility not meant to be field work for them before the unfortunate incident.

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Darkseid(m): 6:43am On Aug 08, 2019
deltateam:

Are you a student there?
No I'm not
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by uuzba(m): 6:45am On Aug 08, 2019
Naijafull19:
1. Basically the bridge was bearing a load it was not designed to bear, hence the collapse.

2. Which makes sense....though when the folk were designing the bridge, they should have taken into account possibility of higher load ie..buildiing it with adequate planning for any eventualities.

Modified

I advise anyone quoting me to insult me to read my points slowly, especially point number 2. Thank you very much.

You can also criticise me without personal insults. I think I have made my point without insults. Thank you again

Finally...here is what the VC said...

Which validates my two points...that a heavy sudden load caused the collapse, and that in building the bridge they should have taken that into account..the possibility of a heavy load.
A stupid design.
If all bridges in this world are designed that way, then people will be dying any time there's traffic jam on the bridge.
Complete idiot design. The contractor, engineer and VC should be arrested

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / Tallest University In Nigeria To Unveil In Anambra State(photos) / Killing Of Python: Alvan Ikoku College Asked To Cleanse The Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.