Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,177 members, 7,829,220 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

#revolutionnow: Why I'm Alleged To Have Subscribed To Sowore's Revolutionnow. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #revolutionnow: Why I'm Alleged To Have Subscribed To Sowore's Revolutionnow. (292 Views)

Reno Omokri: Jonathan’s Reaction To Sowore’s Detention By Buhari Government / Presidency hails Nigerians for Ignoring Sowore’s #RevolutionNow Protests / #RevolutionNow: Nigerians React To Sowore Arrest, #FreeSowore Trends On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#revolutionnow: Why I'm Alleged To Have Subscribed To Sowore's Revolutionnow. by NaijaRealist: 5:54pm On Aug 08, 2019
Since news broke out about the much touted Sowore's plan #RevolutionNow, friends, colleagues, associates and relatives having been calling me to inquire if I subscribe to or want Sowore's #RevolutionNow, as I have always thought revolution is the solution to Nigeria's quagmire.

I have since been wondering what made them think my conception of revolution is same as that of Sowore's.

Find below my pre-election article that got people thinking I subscribe to Sowore's #RevolutionNow.

Please, don’t read the bellow write-up if you dislike naked truth.

Why Gloss over Obvious Realities?

Whenever I say I’m a Realist, some people often mistake me for a Buharist. No, I’m not; because, I never was and never will. In fact, I’ve constructively criticized PMB in time past even when his now foes were still his allies. Notable among these criticisms was when I condemned his insistence on militarizing IPOB agitation, but I was called names by those whose thought could not see beyond the present at the time. But they seem to have been humbled by Nnamdi Kanu’s resurface/return now. You can’t defeat ideological war with force alone. Because, the seemingly defeat of IPOB battle can't entirely fizzle out Biafra consciousness/spirit in the East. So why do we gloss over this obvious reality?

Now as election draws nearer, I’ve recently found something rather ridiculous. It is electorate hypocrisy! Electorate hypocrisy is when we know a certain politician is corrupt, clueless or incompetent but still want him/her elected as our ideal leader. Simply for ethnic or religious sentiments, we comfortably hold mutually exclusive political views in one single breathe, and still hope that Nigeria will someday become a better country. It hardly ever happens that way. Our electorate hypocrisy is the cause of why many deceitful politicians always get away with their false hope (like Buhari did and Atiku is doing). And they will always ever have their ways unless we, the electorates, change our attitude to politics. One can’t vote out of sheer sentiments and then expect ideals dividends of democracy. It is hypocrisy of which both northerners and southerners are guilty!

Furthermore, some scholars believe that Nigeria can hardly ever make significant progress unless we revert back to regionalism, or we embrace true federalism. Other scholars think Nigeria’s real trouble isn’t the imbalance of the federation but attitudinal mindset and or leadership deficit. Whichever is the true problem, one thing all scholars are unanimous about is that we must review our current political system to achieve desired progress at fast pace. Unfortunately, both the North and the South secretly hold each other in contempt and suspicion in way that makes one despairs if Nigeria can truly ever be “restructured” on a gentle man’s agreement. So don’t Atikulate “restructuring” to me because your Saraki has also debunk/refuted its possibilities with single presidency. It is a false hope.

And the above reasons are why I’m convinced that Nigeria is unlikely to get it right with election cycle alone every four years, unless we first do the needful. “To get something you have never had, you have to do something you never did,” said José N. Harris. So if Nigeria as a country truly desires to attain economic self-reliance which we never had, then we have to do something we never did— maybe revolution or pragmatic change of system--before any president can ever make significant improvement. This is my pragmatic solution to Nigeria’s problems. Anyone with sound knowledge of economy, budgetary in particular, will understand better why rejigging Nigeria is a first precondition for Nigeria to attain economic self-reliance.

The reason isn’t far-fetched; because, the solution isn’t about electing a messiah only. It is also about making pragmatic change of system, to which the North and the South will hardly ever agree. So we can’t Atikulate same thing in the same way and expect to get a different result. Never! But I don’t know why some Nigerians gloss over this reality when old folks are re-cycled every four years. Maybe for religious or tribal sentiments! This is partly why I was not convinced, nor got overly excited about Buhari’s messianic message in 2015. It is the same reason I’m not particularly enamored about Atikulating in 2019. It is a choice between two worst candidates both of whom are driven by vested interests and sentiments—dilemma--, but with one better than the other.

So when next I say I’m a realist, I mean to not gloss over obvious political realities. Not that I’m complacent, but it is that I can’t feign ignorance of reality simply because I’m convinced that change is constant in life. Moreover, when it comes to politics, I’ve always maintained that there is scarcely any opinion that is sentiment free. In Nigeria for instance, I’ve not yet seen anyone who maintain one pattern of political opinion throughout his/her lifetime. OBJ is a case study. Our opinion or choice of political candidate is often influenced by religious or ethnic affiliation, and sometimes what guarantees our three square meals. This is why I self-believe that political opinion is the most fickle thing on hearth; because, it is driven by vested interests instead of ideals, principles, virtues and or values.

So fellow patriots, it is your sovereign right to elect either Buhari or Atiku as president in 2019. But I must remind you not to raise your hope to a utopian cadre. Nigerian democracy isn’t what you think it is. It is simply elitism in the garb of democracy. Truth is, there is hardly any politician that is genuinely and sincerely concerned about you and me. If ever there is any, they are those in hypothetic ideal clime. Nearly every Nigerian politician is selfish and conceited. So allow not your hubris sways you to blindly criticize Buhari for Atiku, and vice versa, or dissuade you to not criticize either. However, as 2019 presidential election draws nearer, remember the wisdom that encourages a choice of a lesser evil when you are confronted with two. This is my stand—a realist position.

NB. This write-up is not a change of opinion on who I think will win 2019 presidential election.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria ‘ll Rise Again, Overcome Present Challenges – Adeboye / Tinubu Pays Tribute To Late KAB Olowu / Federal Government Protests Bbnaija Live S3x, Plans Alternative Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.