Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,325 members, 7,819,111 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? (1155 Views)

Buhari Offers Another Form Of RUGA In 109 Senatorial Districts In Nigeria / You Missed Bitcoin? Don't Miss The South Nigeria Cattle Ranching Opportunity / Peak Milk Shows RUGA Isn’t Needed In Southern And Western Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:48pm On Aug 10, 2019
Please I have a honest question.

Someone said the government should be promoting ranching instead of RUGA. I asked him for the difference between the two but he couldn't answer. I think he's just dogmatically following whatever he hears without trying to comprehend.

Anyways I'm in need of enlightenment. Is there any difference between RUGA and Ranching? If yes, please mention them.

Kindly note that the purpose of this thread is not to mention the pros and cons of RUGA or Ranching. Rather the goal is tell if they're different or not.

Thanks for your time.
Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by EkunKekere: 12:54pm On Aug 10, 2019
Answer:

Basically, a ranch is a large farm, especially in where cattle or other livestock are bred.
That's what a ranch is. It's nothing but a farm. It's also known as animal husbandry.

RUGA on the other hand means that the Federal government will seize land and convert it to grazing areas and settlements for herdsmen and their cattle.

The key difference between ranching and RUGA is that one is a private enterprise, while the other involves seizure of land by government for the resettlement of large populations of herdsmen. That is what makes it so controversial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by GeoAfrikana(m): 2:42pm On Aug 10, 2019
EkunKekere:
Answer:

Basically, a ranch is a large farm, especially in where cattle or other livestock are bred.
That's what a ranch is. It's nothing but a farm. It's also known as animal husbandry.

RUGA on the other hand means that the Federal government will seize land and convert it to grazing areas and settlements for herdsmen and their cattle.

The key difference between ranching and RUGA is that one is a private enterprise, while the other involves seizure of land by government for the resettlement of large populations of herdsmen. That is what makes it so controversial.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for sharing some of your time to share what your thoughts.

Now.

According to National Geography:

Ranching is the practice of raising herds of animals on large tracts of land.

Of all the articles I've read online and offline I haven't seen anyone that says ranches are private owned. Rather I have seen indications that ranches are usually government owned.

Governor Akeredolu of Ondo state for example said:

We have 2 large ranches existing in Akunnu and Auga.
Source: Sahara Reporters.

Please note that he used "we" which indicates 'we Ondo people'.

So I don't think private or public ownership of land affects the definition of ranching.

However, from my research I think that the difference is based on the fact that RUGA is a settlement while Ranch is a farm. I think you hinted something about this in your response.

RUGA includes ranching and housing. Migrant animal owners will not only be given land to graze but they will also be given homes. I think it is that housing component that is the difference between RUGA and Ranching. And I think that is the cause of alarm.

1 Like

Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by GeoAfrikana(m): 2:52pm On Aug 10, 2019
This statement by the presidency buttresses my point:

Ruga Settlement that seeks to settle migrant pastoral families simply means rural settlement in which animal farmers, not just cattle herders, will be settled in an organized place with provision of necessary and adequate basic amenities such as schools, hospitals, road networks, vet clinics, markets and manufacturing entities that will process and add value to meats and animal products.

Source: PremiumTimesng

For example if a cattle rearer migrates from Sokoto to Enugu in search of pasture, he won't need to be searching for grazing land and accommodation but rather he will go to the RUGA settlement and enrol there. That way his chances of constituting public nuisance will be reduced.

However, the government said that RUGA settlement is not only for cattle rearers but every migrant animal rearer irrespective of the type of animal.
Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by GeoAfrikana(m): 2:59pm On Aug 10, 2019
Despite the above statement by the presidency, the fact still remains that the fulanis will be the greater population of the RUGA settlement. So it's like the government is giving free land to the fulanis and this is likely going to give them political leverage over other tribes in the nearest future.

The implication is that fulanis will have a settlement in every RUGA state, they will be able to influence the domestic politics.

Now I see why people are feeling insecure about the RUGA scheme.

But I believe that if there was love and harmony the tribes of this country we won't care about all fear of someone taking your land.
Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:04pm On Aug 10, 2019
Lalasticlala.
Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by bluke(m): 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
Despite the above statement by the presidency, the fact still remains that the fulanis will be the greater population of the RUGA settlement. So it's like the government is giving free land to the fulanis and this is likely going to give them political leverage over other tribes in the nearest future.

The implication is that fulanis will have a settlement in every RUGA state, they will be able to influence the domestic politics.

Now I see why people are feeling insecure about the RUGA scheme.

But I believe that if there was love and harmony the tribes of this country we won't care about all fear of someone taking your land.

there is a need to give a more comprehensive analysis of the ruga project and why it was rejected. legal land grabbing

1 Like

Re: RUGA Vs Ranching: What's The Difference? by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:33pm On Aug 13, 2019
bluke:

there is a need to give a more comprehensive analysis of the ruga project and why it was rejected. legal land grabbing

Do you have extra info? Kindly share and enlighten us.

(1) (Reply)

Suckers Of Queen Pineapple For Sale / Rice Bran Oil Production Line Equipment For Sale / 500kg Of Moringa Seed For Just #1,700/kg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.